PDA

View Full Version : Elk not calling.

44inchStone
09-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Just had a few messege from friends of mine up on the Muskwa.
They’ve been elk hunting for 8 days now and haven’t heard a single bugle.
Maybe it was a bit early to head in? In the past by this time of year the bulls are going at it. They’ve had 3 solid days of snow up high too.
Tried helping as much as I can but not sure what to say now. Cow calls, bugles, hunting high looking down, hunting the timber. They’ve seen sign but just no critters. Weird.
I think they’re still in the timber but you’d think they’d hear some calling at some point of the day.
Ive killed My share of elk and seems these buggers rut when they want. I think they’re a bit early. They have a few more days. Not to panic yet. Haha

Liveforthehunt
09-09-2018, 01:43 PM
I think it depends on where you are I was out last weekend in reg 4 and they were starting to talk... talked to the bro in law last night and he had a couple talking in one drainage . My buddy shot one 3 days ago with the bow brought him into 10 yards silent. Have not heard anything in 8 yet but it's coming!. Definitely not as much talking as there was 5-10 years ago a lot more coming in silent.

stixnstones
09-09-2018, 06:20 PM
I too was in region 8 for 4 days n pretty quite. I didn’t here a peep. Lots of humans making noise though

Sitkaspruce
09-09-2018, 07:19 PM
Elk are pretty scatted up that way due to the preds and are learning to be silent.

Bull I got the other day came in quickly but silently.

Elk hunting ain't like it used to be....they are getting smarter

Cheers

SS

HarryToolips
09-09-2018, 08:40 PM
Buddy and I were in the pink mountain area in the end of August for any bull moose, we came upon a drainage where multiple cow elk were talking and two bulls were sparing, but not bugling....

Bugle M In
09-09-2018, 08:50 PM
I think many will have to come to the realization, that you may have to stay put for some time, as like Sitka said,
they do tend to come in more quiet then some years ago.
And they can take their time as well to come in.

hunter1947
09-11-2018, 06:21 AM
there are lots of reasons elk don't call at times ,,heat can be a big factor,pressured by predators,humans pressured the elk short and sweet.

browningboy
09-11-2018, 06:45 AM
The muskwa is a zoo for that elk hunt, the launch probably has 200 vehicles, and the elk just move on as there a lot of traffic on that river that really gets none for the rest of the year, add wolves etc ... I would be quiet too

44inchStone
09-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Ya I hunted it years ago when it wasn’t too bad. Lots of game around back then. Haven’t been up there in years but thought it would have been a good place for the young guys to get their feet wet in the world of elk hunting and putting on mountain miles.
Oh, they did eventually shoot a 5x6 in his bed however he was quiet as a mouse.
Very weird to not even send out any calls.
I would think too many wolves. They were quite a ways off the river away from traffic but elk were silent.
Wolves need a good cull!!

BRrooster
09-11-2018, 04:34 PM
Just got back from Wart ST John area and didn't hear anything but other hunters bugling. Maybe they've learned how to text!

rocksteady
09-11-2018, 05:57 PM
I am not sure i agree with you guys about them being quiet due to predators.. with the new easy to use calls on the narket, i think they are getting over called..

Maybe? I dunno

.308SLAYER
09-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Sep 1st heard bulls bugling in a remote basin got a video of a 6 by 5 rubbing didn't seem too hot fast forward to sep 10th without calling heard bugles all morning...went down in there that evening km of brutal hiking rocks and thick vegetation..glassed up a couple bulls that morning watched them bed..couple cow calls had him coming in fast screaming wind swirled game over did a loop went back to his cows..next day didn't hear a peep...the adapt to pressure very well...back driving my logging truck today 730 am seen a 6 by pushing his cows yo from the river no gun fackkkk

todbartell
09-12-2018, 01:10 PM
If the cows are coming into estrous later due to a lower body fat level that will push back rut activity a little. Could be a reason, was it a dry spring/summer up there that effected vegetation growth?

Wrayzer
09-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Pulled a smaller bull to 50 yards on the 10th, soft quiet bugles seemed to be the key. Came straight to me on a string from the timber.

Bugle M In
09-12-2018, 01:16 PM
I am not sure i agree with you guys about them being quiet due to predators.. with the new easy to use calls on the narket, i think they are getting over called..

Maybe? I dunno

well that goes without say as well.
I am sure there are a ton of areas, that get hit Sept 1 hard by hunters and their calls.
And I suspect once one of the hunters gets winded, the gigs up, and they know what time it is.
Then again, how many folks are also out there "pre season", scouting, and using their calls as well????
Might be why even Sept 1st is quiet for some.

Low impact areas, will always have more calling replies I suspect.
I do get the impression preds have made elk go into some "odd spots" they rarely used before.
But, when the "heat is on", they still communicate with each other, and if you are lucky enough to be in the right spot at
the right time, you will experiences their calls and replies.

Lets face it, you can have all the knowledge, skill, and physical ability in the world when hunting elk, but.....
You still need "LUCK"!....period, for it to happen.

Wild one
09-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Buddy said he had bulls screaming in the peace. Heard a bugle out in vanderhoof on Monday but never seen it

I am a rookie when it comes to elk and this is my first year putting in an effort so take what I say with a grain of salt

All I know after my seven day set I am going to take my bad calling to the bush to try my luck lol

Bugle M In
09-12-2018, 04:53 PM
Buddy said he had bulls screaming in the peace. Heard a bugle out in vanderhoof on Monday but never seen it

I am a rookie when it comes to elk and this is my first year putting in an effort so take what I say with a grain of salt

All I know after my seven day set I am going to take my bad calling to the bush to try my luck lol

My dad bugles (even after way too many years at it), and sounds like an elephant with a bad cold!
He still brings them in!!!!!

Wild one
09-12-2018, 04:56 PM
My dad bugles (even after way too many years at it), and sounds like an elephant with a bad cold!
He still brings them in!!!!!

Then I have hope lol

Looking for my first elk so targeting the dumb ones anyway

Asco
09-12-2018, 05:40 PM
I watched an elk party go down for two hours on September 9 with my boy and his rifle. Reg 8. The cows were noisy but the bull’s bugles were muted.

The next day they were nowhere to be seen or heard.

Sitkaspruce
09-12-2018, 07:34 PM
If the cows are coming into estrous later due to a lower body fat level that will push back rut activity a little. Could be a reason, was it a dry spring/summer up there that effected vegetation growth?

We had an average spring/summer with the usually rain, crops are really good. Bull I killed has lots of fat!

Three bulls down so far this year: one came in silent but determined (4x5), one was screaming and being aggressive (7x2) and one bugled a few times but held up and finally showed when some branches were broke (5x5). It has been a mixed year and they are answering, but it seems you need to get close to them.

Good luck to all!

Cheers

SS

rocksteady
09-12-2018, 08:06 PM
Sitka!!!!

Ummm... pictures or i will get your wife to lay a lumping on you..

srupp
09-12-2018, 09:00 PM
Hmm its not elk but even the moose are becoming more and more less vocal. .of the last 3 cariboo moose 2 came in virtually silent..
Thinking they dont want to advertise moose buffet in isle number #4..
Good luck.
Congrads Ken..
Steven

.300WSMImpact!
09-12-2018, 09:05 PM
man I wish I could kill an elk

Moose63
09-12-2018, 09:15 PM

Amen brother....

Wrayzer
09-12-2018, 09:28 PM

If only we had more stories on HBC to pass the time between hunting trips.
:wink:

.300WSMImpact!
09-12-2018, 09:30 PM
If only we had more stories on HBC to pass the time between hunting trips.
:wink:

but the elk don't call, so its real hard to shoot them, specially with a bow

Ourea
09-12-2018, 09:31 PM
Relying solely on 'calling' for elk makes your approach unidimensional.
Mule deer don't call.
WT don't scream.

Elk, when pressured can go silent.
Learn how to hunt and find them without relying on sound and you will kill a lot more elk.
After all, they are only 600 - 800 lbs, travel in groups, leave a lot of sign, require a lot of water and graze daily.

Hunt for what they need and u will learn to not rely on calling.
Killed some nice bulls over the years that neither one of us made a peep

RackStar
09-12-2018, 09:52 PM
Had a close call tonight in 7a. Came across 4 cows on my way out. We watched them and watched them. Running out of light and still 45 min from truck we decided to let a bugle out to see if a bull would reply. Well out came a big boy grabbed his cows and took off like a bat outa hell. BLEW it. I won’t sleep tonight. Be back Friday night. Saturday and Sunday.
Hope to get my first elk!

TOO much fun.

RackStar
09-12-2018, 09:54 PM
Absolutely full blown addicted

Sitkaspruce
09-13-2018, 07:01 PM
Sitka!!!!

Ummm... pictures or i will get your wife to lay a lumping on you..

hahaha.....she just got back from fires the other day and has been watching an elk get cut/wrapped and frozen.....no go on the lumping!!!

I will ask to see if the others will allow pictures. Mine is on the "as they lay" post.

Once I get my head above water, I will post a story...….concentrating on moose now.

Cheers

SS

KRM270
09-13-2018, 09:49 PM
There is a podcast worth listening to regarding quiet elk, it is the Hunt Back Country Podcast and they had Paul Medel "the elk nut" on in mid august. He talks about the "slow play" on elk which is not the typical locator bugle, cow chirp and challenge bugle routine that is so often used. We tried that standard routine on a bull last year in region 4 and while he would bugle back he would not leave his cows. We managed to take him a few days later by ambushing him on his way to his bed but did not use calls. I don't know if the slow play that Paul Medel uses will work but it sounds great and we will try it next week. The Hunt Back Country podcast is free and you can find it in ITunes, it is a great resource.

Bunner
09-13-2018, 10:13 PM
Just came back from a day hunt, had 4 different bulls talking to me. Lots of bugle action. No luck on bringing them in. Going back out in the am

stixnstones
09-14-2018, 08:37 AM
Hay bunner what region were u in???

Bugle M In
09-14-2018, 09:46 AM
There is a podcast worth listening to regarding quiet elk, it is the Hunt Back Country Podcast and they had Paul Medel "the elk nut" on in mid august. He talks about the "slow play" on elk which is not the typical locator bugle, cow chirp and challenge bugle routine that is so often used. We tried that standard routine on a bull last year in region 4 and while he would bugle back he would not leave his cows. We managed to take him a few days later by ambushing him on his way to his bed but did not use calls. I don't know if the slow play that Paul Medel uses will work but it sounds great and we will try it next week. The Hunt Back Country podcast is free and you can find it in ITunes, it is a great resource.

My experience.....
A herd bull with cows will not come in to you, regardless of cow calling or bugling of any type.
The only time the calls have worked for me in this scenario, is being in "real close"!.
Then, I have found a bull will come in "fast".
Now, if I see the bull in close, I wouldn't give myself up, and use a call....just wait for the right time to shoot.
But, if you can't spot him, but your right there, then yes, a cow call or bugle works.
Just remember, the cows have eyes and ears as well.
Most of the time it will be them that spot you first, especially the lead cow.
She's the one that never seems to put her head down, and is always on alert.

Bugle M In
09-14-2018, 09:49 AM
is this podcast link:

https://exomountaingear.com/37/

rocksteady
09-14-2018, 12:39 PM
After 3 or 4 days of cool wet weather the bulls in the ek are talking.. not much but more than the past few days

Wild one
09-14-2018, 02:17 PM
Cough cough I think this thread is making me sick I may need to call in sick for work and go elk hunting early

masoncade1992
09-14-2018, 02:38 PM
So much truth! just because they are not vocal, don't mean they are not rutting. Find the sign , and still cow call. If the elk are near, the bulls ( especially smaller bulls) will come in, but silent as a mouse. Our group that I hunt with has shot many many elk like this over the last 15 years. Elk are creatures of survival and thrival. With that being said, I did have a few bulls come into my especially slutty cow calling and they lit up like the 4th of july:razz: lol

Relying solely on 'calling' for elk makes your approach unidimensional.
Mule deer don't call.
WT don't scream.

Elk, when pressured can go silent.
Learn how to hunt and find them without relying on sound and you will kill a lot more elk.
After all, they are only 600 - 800 lbs, travel in groups, leave a lot of sign, require a lot of water and graze daily.

Hunt for what they need and u will learn to not rely on calling.
Killed some nice bulls over the years that neither one of us made a peep

Bugle M In
09-14-2018, 03:47 PM
Cough cough I think this thread is making me sick I may need to call in sick for work and go elk hunting early

Cool weather....yup, I say you got a "bad virus"!
Definitely when it gets cool after this length of heat, the hunting is usually good.
Seems like every season, there is a quick cold snap for a couple of days, and that's when they hit the floor the most.
That being said, I have yet to hit that time!, always happens a week before I go, or just as I am packing up!
So get out there!

And yes, lots of times bulls come in silent, real silent, and I don't think many take the time to hang tight in an area long enough to see what others mean/experienced.

Wild one
09-14-2018, 03:53 PM
Cool weather....yup, I say you got a "bad virus"!
Definitely when it gets cool after this length of heat, the hunting is usually good.
Seems like every season, there is a quick cold snap for a couple of days, and that's when they hit the floor the most.
That being said, I have yet to hit that time!, always happens a week before I go, or just as I am packing up!
So get out there!

And yes, lots of times bulls come in silent, real silent, and I don't think many take the time to hang tight in an area long enough to see what others mean/experienced.

Call for snow this weekend has me thinking lol

RackStar
09-14-2018, 04:00 PM
Snowed yest. Calls for snow tomorrow and Sunday. Will be tucked into my spot well before day break to try and catch him heading back to bed. Going to be a very good day tomorow. I can feel it. Good luck everyone

Bugle M In
09-14-2018, 09:17 PM
Don't think about it just go!
I am here stuck in the LM, only dreaming about being there right now and having to wait.
For you folks that have the playground in your back yard...well....I am envious right now.
But, cool and snow, at the right time.....go buddy!

Wild one
09-15-2018, 08:08 AM
Don't think about it just go!
I am here stuck in the LM, only dreaming about being there right now and having to wait.
For you folks that have the playground in your back yard...well....I am envious right now.
But, cool and snow, at the right time.....go buddy!

Well I have a few days solo and clueless then a couple days jet boat trip with guys who actually know the area/experience elk hunting. After that it’s close to home solo attempts

May eat a tag but will try my luck

Bugle M In
09-15-2018, 12:02 PM
Well I have a few days solo and clueless then a couple days jet boat trip with guys who actually know the area/experience elk hunting. After that it’s close to home solo attempts

May eat a tag but will try my luck

well, have fun, and good luck, they are a lot of fun to hunt, and its addictive.
the term "elkoholic" is a real term once you've tried, and have a bull bugling!

264mag
09-20-2018, 04:41 PM
Just checking to see if any East Kootenay bugle chasers are having any action. The weather seems perfect for the rut. There is a full moon coming.

LBM
09-20-2018, 08:08 PM
Just checking to see if any East Kootenay bugle chasers are having any action. The weather seems perfect for the rut. There is a full moon coming.
Yes elk have been quit vocale.

canadiancon
09-20-2018, 08:21 PM
Elk are screaming in the peace, shot a small 5x5 Tuesday evening.

264mag
09-20-2018, 08:28 PM
Awesome. Hitting the bush on Sunday. Good luck to all.

Bugle M In
09-20-2018, 08:31 PM

thinking that is where I am headed in a year or so.

Wild one
09-20-2018, 09:33 PM

Yup had a couple chances myself but could not get it done but as a rookie elk hunter I learned a few things this trip so not a complete loss

head home in the morning

Bugle M In
09-20-2018, 09:48 PM
Yup had a couple chances myself but could not get it done but as a rookie elk hunter I learned a few things this trip so not a complete loss

head home in the morning

as long as you had fun!!

Wild one
09-20-2018, 10:04 PM
as long as you had fun!!

No complaints two close range opportunities but trees blocking the chest stopped the chance of a shot. I need to improve my calling but have proved I can apply the advice friends have given me to create opportunity

I set out with the goal to try and to gain knowledge/experience elk hunting. I may not have taken an elk but I met my goal so it was a success

will still try close as well but not near the same elk population

Capdan
04-26-2019, 10:01 AM
Early October through to mid-October we were up there, barely heard anything. Saw a few elk, harvested one bull in our group, but it was QUIET.