PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody shooting game that appears to be sick or injurred?

Wild Will
09-04-2007, 05:14 PM
With the threat of West Nile Virus and Chronic Wasting Disease looming in BC, I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone is getting game they are concerned about. I shot a Whitetail deer yesterday that had a large swelling on the front of its brisket. When I opened it, almost a gallon of water tinged with a little blood poured out. I also noticed that the deer had a broken humerus that was not hit with my arrow. The humerus was broken at right angles about 2 inches above the elbow, and the short piece was split in half down to the elbow. The ends were rounded off from wear, but there was no infection, bruising or blood in the wound. In fact the meat was fine right to the bone. It must have been an extremely painful injury. I expect the sack of water was associated with the injury, and not a syptom of one of the other diseases deer can get.

ruger#1
09-04-2007, 05:29 PM
I shot a grouse a couple years ago in area 3-30. When i cleaned it it had a big yellow growth on its breast. I wasn't going to eat it. So i fed it to the whiskey jacks.

Marc
09-04-2007, 05:40 PM
That sounds like it was a fluid build up from the injury, maybe to lubricate the area. You might want to call a game warden if you have any concerns about eating the meat.

BuckFever
09-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Years back I was hunting with my dad and we saw a buck limping around the day before hunting season..A couple of days later we spooked a buck up which he jump behind a tree. My dad fired and it dropped. When we walked over to it we noticed it was that deer and one of its front legs was swelled up twice the size as the other one. We were hunting in region 8-12 Kettle River area.

BCLongshot
09-04-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm getting a little queezy

hahahahahahahahhaa

browningboy
09-04-2007, 09:07 PM
I don't think I would want to bother with the Chernoble bucks, but thats me....;-)
Leave them for nature to take care of.

big game walker hounds
09-04-2007, 11:32 PM
ive seen this young doe for the last couple of nights pass by my stand, its got a grouth about the size of a football on its neck?

270WIN
09-05-2007, 11:10 AM
i shot a black tail over on texada island once and when i opened him up his liver was full of white spots lets just say that liver stayed in the bush but the rest of the buck tasted fine i just figered he was an old buck with liver problems

Deerwhacker
09-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Yesterday in the east koots I seen a small buck that had a wierd growth on its leg. i passed the little guy up to take the bigger doe he was with.

Muleycatcher
09-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Last fall I shot a buck with a growth coming out of his tear duct. Took the head to the CO and he said he has seen lots of it, especially in moose, nothing to be worried about. The vital organs where heathly looking and the meat was good.

ianwuzhere
09-07-2007, 06:55 AM
this year i am going to shoot a buck with a huge growth of extremely large antlers coming out of the top of his head and forking into many directions. it may be just down right sickening to some;)

ruger#1
09-07-2007, 11:03 AM
http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=disease.muscle1 try this site , It has alot of info about wildlife diseases, very informative.

ratherbefishin
09-07-2007, 01:52 PM
I don't think I would eat any animal that had spots on it's liver-thats one of the things health inspectors watch for in meat packing plants[the meat isn't wasted-its tuned into processed meat-high temperature renders it OK]

NEEHAMA
09-07-2007, 03:25 PM
i shot a two point once and when i rolled it over to gut it i found that it had a biker style tatoo that ran from it's neck to down to it's tail. it was of flames and a dragon. really strange! hope i never see that again!

Clint_S
09-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Got this doe on my trail cam last year, got some weird bone growth below her tarsals and her coat was patchy.
http://www3.telus.net/airedales/misc_images/gimp1.jpg

overthetop
09-07-2007, 10:14 PM
I shot a deer last year with my 300 WSM and when I got to it he had a huge hole in his neck. There was blood everywhere.

bwhnter
09-08-2007, 07:45 AM
I got a book from the provincial wildlife vet Helen. (i can't remember her last name). It is called Diseases you can get from Wildlife in BC. It is very interesting it has pictures and symptoms for alot of diseases. It also says wether you can eat them or not if they have something.

To obtain a copy try the Provincial Wildlife Vet @ (250)953-4285

The elk that I shot this year had a bullet in his left shoulder from last year and he was fine just a little puss filled sack around the bullet. Animals are amazingly tough all the more reason to practice and make sure that we place our choosen projectile were it needs to be for a quick and clean kill.

curt
09-11-2007, 11:19 AM
i dont think i would shoot a sick animal nature will take care of it, however there are plenty of sick convics at work i would consider helping the process along a bit qiucker:razz:

ruger#1
09-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Curt, I like your attitude.

CHilko21
09-11-2007, 11:43 AM
A friend of ours from town shot a moose in the Chetwynd area and it had cysts in the meat, last I heard they were in the process of getting it checked out. Kinda nasty to hear about.