PDA

View Full Version : New Garmin Inreache Expolrer

264mag
09-07-2018, 09:06 AM
Does anyone have any practical experience with new models that Garmin has out?
I am curious what the topo mapping works like in B.C.

I have the original inreache explorer before Garmin bought them and find the GPS functions archaeic and battery eating.

Any comments, feedback, or thoughts?

mGudmund
09-07-2018, 09:16 AM
I have the garmin inreach mini. Nice and small if you want to just bring it along for the SOS and pre-programmed message functions. Then, if you want to type out longer messages or use it as a GPS you can pair it (bluetooth) with Garmin's earthmate app which has a 1:25000 north america topo map on it. I've found it to work very well for messaging and the gps function works well too. Though not as good for nav as a dedicated GPS by any means.

KevB
09-07-2018, 09:34 AM
The map is OK but not great, like mGudmund said pairing it with your phone and using the app is better resolution. I like it overall for its messaging and SOS functions as I am solo most of the time but its definitely a compromise. The inreach mini was not available yet when I bought mine, that is probably the route I would go now. Mini for messaging and emergency capabilities and a dedicated GPS for navigation

albravo2
09-07-2018, 09:40 AM
Battery life on the new units is amazing. I don't use mine for navigating, so can't comment on the maps.

Wentrot
09-07-2018, 10:09 AM
I have the Garmin inreach explorer, very happy with it. The maps are basic but they work great and I have zero complaints.

Sharpish
09-07-2018, 10:12 AM
Go with the mini. Or wait for garmin to release a new model that is 100% compatible with basecamp and has an SD slot for a backgrounds map book chip.

jorick
09-21-2018, 02:49 PM
how does messaging work?
it says that you need to send an SMS or email first to the recipient before they can reply , can the recipient save that as a contact and then send a message back at a later time ? or do you need to keep your thread and keep conversing on that that thread ?

twoSevenO
09-21-2018, 03:35 PM
how does messaging work?
it says that you need to send an SMS or email first to the recipient before they can reply , can the recipient save that as a contact and then send a message back at a later time ? or do you need to keep your thread and keep conversing on that that thread ?

I just got the mini and tested this.

i sent my GF a message and then sent one to my one phone

They came from two DIFFERENT phone numbers ...... so saving the number it came from is probably not a good idea.

Not a big deal for me as i can always be the first to send one of my preset "all is well" messages.

jorick
09-21-2018, 03:42 PM
can your gf relpy on that thread as long as you don't delete that thread ? over a few days ?

twoSevenO
09-21-2018, 04:06 PM
can your gf relpy on that thread as long as you don't delete that thread ? over a few days ?

I haven't tested that yet. I just got it today.

What i don't understand is how to communicate with another inReach ..... if you have to send a msg first to start, how do you know what the number of the other inReach is to send it to? :/

Lelantos
09-21-2018, 04:11 PM
Go with the mini. Or wait for garmin to release a new model that is 100% compatible with basecamp and has an SD slot for a backgrounds map book chip.
I also have the mini. Its great for communicating when paired with a phone, or without if using the pre-set messages. You can have a quite a few preset messages and they don't affect your plan the same way. As for the maps, they are identical to your maps OP. The Inreach explorer still uses the DeLorme maps and has no SD capability, so no Backroads maps or other third party topo. I agree with Sharpish. Either buy the mini and a separate GPS or wait for Garmin to eventually update the product to use Garmin maps and have SD capability.

Sharpish any news on this? I got fed up of waiting and just went for the mini. I often us my phone with pre downloaded maps for GPS.

twoSevenO
09-21-2018, 04:16 PM
You can have a quite a few preset messages and they don't affect your plan the same way.

You can SEND quite a few preset messages (unlimited, actually), but as far as i'm aware you can only HAVE three.
Does your plan actually allow you to have more than 3 preset messages defined?

jamfarm
09-21-2018, 04:20 PM
I believe you need the other inreach users inreach address.

I haven't tested that yet. I just got it today.

What i don't understand is how to communicate with another inReach ..... if you have to send a msg first to start, how do you know what the number of the other inReach is to send it to? :/

Lelantos
09-21-2018, 04:26 PM
You can SEND quite a few preset messages (unlimited, actually), but as far as i'm aware you can only HAVE three.
Does your plan actually allow you to have more than 3 preset messages defined?

Sorry you're right - you can have 3 preset messages that have a preset message and preset recipient and don't affect your plan. You can have 20 quick messages with a prewritten message but variable recipient and they do affect your plan. They are however easy to send on the mini without a Bluetooth phone for the typing.

Jordan f.
09-21-2018, 04:33 PM
I have the Delorm Inreach SE. All I use it for is the SOS (if ever needed), and the 3 preset messages.

I use my phone with Ihunter for GPS/e-scouting/tracking.

I like keeping the two seperate so I can keep my SOS battery well charged.

Lelantos
09-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Yup Jamfarm is correct it looks like an email address

jorick
09-21-2018, 05:09 PM
Using inReach to inReach CommunicationEvery inReach user account is assigned a unique inReach address for inReach-to-inReach communication. If you have an inReach device you can send a message from your inReach to another inReach by using the inReach address for the recipient.

The inReach address will only work for inReach-to-inReach communication, e-mails sent to the inReach address will not be delivered.

Obtain the inReach address for the inReach user to be messaged. To find the inReach address for an inReach account, follow the steps below.

Log in to the inReach account at explore.garmin.com (https://explore.garmin.com/Account/LogOn?ReturnUrl=%2f)
Click the Account tab.
The inReach address can be found in the My Info section in the left hand column.

twoSevenO
09-21-2018, 05:50 PM
Yup Jamfarm is correct it looks like an email address

is that how someone can initiate communication with me without me having to msg them first?

Because i just sent myself an email to the @inreach.garmin.com email address but it never came in .... been over an hour now. So i'm guessing no? ....

EDIT: Did not refresh page before i posted ... seems jorick has found the answer ..... it only works from inReach to inReach.

Thanks jorick!

jorick
09-21-2018, 06:08 PM
Sending a Message through the inReach MapShareIMPORTANT

In order to send a message to an inReach through a MapShare page, the owner of the inReach account must have enabled MapShare for the inReach device and set the options of the MapShare so visitors are able to message the device.

Visit the MapShare page for the inReach device to be messaged.
Select the inReach device to be messaged.