PDA

View Full Version : Do the Bulls bugle in the Kootenays?

Coldredneck
09-06-2018, 12:03 PM
Good Day gents : looking for a little advise from the longtime Kootenay Valley residents. the wife and I have been out trying to locate a herd or two on the west side of the Flats and its so quiet its spooky. LOL
I have tried a few cow calls and some bugles in the dark and at first/ last light but get nothing.
I know they are around as I have pics on the game cameras.
I have been told there is a wolf problem so that may be why??
Any thoughts??

09-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Good Day gents : looking for a little advise from the longtime Kootenay Valley residents. the wife and I have been out trying to locate a herd or two on the west side of the Flats and its so quiet its spooky. LOL
I have tried a few cow calls and some bugles in the dark and at first/ last light but get nothing.
I know they are around as I have pics on the game cameras.
I have been told there is a wolf problem so that may be why??
Any thoughts??

They used to, and still do, but are not as vocal. Wolves have really changed their level of vocalization in the area I hunt. Last year when I bugled, I had a pack of wolves howl back....maybe I need to work on my bugling!

silvertipp
09-06-2018, 12:35 PM
This is happening all over
last year in Fort St John they were bugling at first for a bit
but as soon as they started the wolves were onto them
every bugle had a response from the wolves and they just shut down calling

dakoda62
09-06-2018, 12:50 PM
10 minutes out of the truck Sat morning had 3 wolves cross my path in Bonanza on the Paulson, to far for the x bow, easy shot for a rifle though.

Bugle M In
09-06-2018, 12:53 PM
They used to, and still do, but are not as vocal. Wolves have really changed their level of vocalization in the area I hunt. Last year when I bugled, I had a pack of wolves howl back....maybe I need to work on my bugling!

yup, they used to.
some areas it would be more common, and in other areas, you had to get them started.
but now, it's way different, unless you are hunting somewhere way back in deep.
wolves and hunters I think over the years has slowed them down from being vocal.
you can get them going, but if they have cows, your probably doing more harm then good in having them
stick around where you are hunting.

ACE
09-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Both moose and elk have gone quieter over the last decade .... wolves are a major factor.

Bugle M In
09-06-2018, 12:54 PM
heres a link from a recent thread on others and their thoughts on hunting them:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?146976-Best-BC-Elk-Hunting-Tips-amp-Tricks

kootenaihunter
09-06-2018, 01:52 PM
I might be a good hypothesis, but does anybody have any studies or data to prove that it's wolves that are causing them to be quite?

Wolves have always inhabited elk territories.

There might be other factors at play as well.

ACE
09-06-2018, 02:04 PM
jassmine would know ....

Bugle M In
09-06-2018, 02:34 PM
jassmine would know ....

:wink:……………………………………………...

dakoda62
09-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Grizzlies are also a problem

09-06-2018, 03:02 PM

Yes they are. Between cats, grizzlies and wolves, I'd be staying pretty quite out there too!

Bugle M In
09-06-2018, 03:52 PM
Yes they are. Between cats, grizzlies and wolves, I'd be staying pretty quite out there too!

yup...it's not just wolves they seem to be avoiding.
lots of avid elk hunters noticing over the past few years that elk seem to be hanging in, should I say, odd, steeper areas.
With preds and blowdown and now fire, it's not going to be the same as before.
they are a lot more quiet, but, till now, still get them to bugle, when it's right.
will see in a few weeks when I go, as to my experience this time!?

Linksman313
09-06-2018, 03:54 PM

I concur, I have never seen the size or amount of Griz around Nancy Green like this year, some BIG black bear on cam in the area as well.

Jelvis
09-06-2018, 06:41 PM
ACE says Jasmine woody know! And I want to hear the answer? Do elk quit singing when and because of wolves howling?
= I herd a local wild life talent scout was up looking for High Tenors ? Elk competing with wolves --?
Jelly Jaz woody kno and I want the facts from university studies like always thanx in advance Jas ACE has confidence in your answer.

butcher
09-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Delete post

Coldredneck
09-06-2018, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the input! Guess I will have to get a little closer and try to coax him with a soft cow call.
Great Forum :)
Beats That unmentioned Alberta forum by miles

Bugle M In
09-07-2018, 08:45 AM
Thanks for all the input! Guess I will have to get a little closer and try to coax him with a soft cow call.
Great Forum :)
Beats That unmentioned Alberta forum by miles

good....
let us know how you make out.

.308SLAYER
09-07-2018, 11:14 AM
I heard a bull bugling september 1st and 2nd in a hell hole in region 4 like above stated steep nasty terrain...this particular mountain had hunters all over at about 1000 yards I got to watch a 6 by 5 rub a tree for a good 10 minutes...going back with a rifle and some extra backs hopefully will make it happen. Spent a few days down in there was the most grueling hiking I've put myself through hours of steep rocks and thick vegetation to get through just to get into the elk...

jtred
09-07-2018, 01:47 PM
I have friends bowhunting around here and they haven't heard a thing. They're still around though, a friend of mine had one at 50m but didn't have a clear shot at the vitals. He didn't call them in but he just found himself in amongst a herd more or less by chance.

Bugle M In
09-08-2018, 11:53 AM
Talking to forestry guys over the years, they say it was quite common to hear unsolicited bugling from bulls around Aug 20th
til about the beginning of Sept, but then they found the bulls just shut off, and then the valleys were silent again.

I remember lots of hunters over the years, who were there before me, and when I showed up and asked how it was going, would say that the elk weren't calling or responding, and that seemed to be the word every season.
But, I would go out and never have a problem getting them to respond???
I read an article once that said elk can have up to 4 rut cycles, the first beginning in mid/late august, and then every 4 weeks after that.
Ever noticed the park elk always being active in mid/late august....hmmmm.