PDA

View Full Version : radios used on logging roads

bchunter181
09-06-2018, 08:21 AM
hi just wondering what kind if any radios some of you guys may use while your on the logging roads.i wanna get one i cant decide between handheld(has lower range) or get one that has magnetic antenna and plugs into cigarette lighter.just wonder what some of you guys may have and recommend or what doesn't work well thanks.

heybert
09-06-2018, 08:49 AM
Used a Beofang 5 watt handheld before. Worked well.

ian745
09-06-2018, 09:02 AM
i used a pretty standard kenwood truck mounted one, i used to have the magnet mount, but switched to hard mount as got sick of bushes knocking it off and running the cable out a window or door, cost me $300 for the radio and $200 for install and antenna , and then if i recall they put about 10 channels on it for free, then i brought a list of channels in and they charged me about $50 to add 15 more i think,

i`ll have to take a look but i know i had to get written permission from a few logging companies to have access to their channels, which they gave as they want everyone to be safe in the bush, just had to sign the company radio use forms saying i wouldnt screw around on the air on their channels or anything like that,

i just listen anyways, only ever talked once when i was on a road that had a few must call corners

mike31154
09-06-2018, 09:13 AM
Handheld should be fine as the protocol is to call every even km on the way, every odd on the way down. In most cases the range of a handheld will do. Line of sight is key, major obstacles like mountains will cause sketchy Tx/Rx regardless of how much power the radio has. The first year I went up an FSR in the winter a logging truck almost took me out. I had been calling as required but apparently "Sharky" didn't hear me. He came around a switchback & I had to take the snowbank to avoid becoming his hood ornament. I got out ok, but it was a reminder that even with a radio, caution & a little luck can save your bacon. Also be aware of the licensing requirements for VHF transceivers. I know many use them unlicensed but it is unlawful. The Industry Canada site has all the info, it's about $45 a year to maintain a license, small price to pay to stay legal when you consider the amount of money we spend on hunting as a whole.

My initial purchase was an 8 channel Kenwood that needs to be taken back to the vendor to be reprogrammed. I found 8 channels on a non user programmable radio were not near enough for the number of different FSRs I frequent. I use the radio on backcountry ski touring trips as well. I have since acquired a couple of Baofengs which have tons of channels and are programmable. They also feature an FM radio for tunes and can be used on the GMRS short range bands which don't require a license.

I got a patch cable & the software to program the Kenwood. Bit of a pain since the cable is RS232 standard so I need to use a Windows XP laptop to do the dirty deed, but taking it back to the vendor would cost $35 a pop not to mention the downtime. There is an RS232 to USB driver for Windows 10 but I can't seem to get that to work consistently. Programming radios in the field is bending the rules of Industry Canada but at the end of the day, when it comes to safety, I'll do what I need to do.

An advantage of the handheld is portability.

09-06-2018, 09:14 AM
For the most part I find a 5 watt handheld VHF radio is more versatile than a base set mounted in your truck. About $350 for a light and waterproof Icom. These guys will ship it programmed with all the new road channels.

https://www.freewaycom.ca/collections/vhf-radios/products/icom-f1000-vhf-handheld-radio?variant=796640581

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11127.html

canadiancon
09-06-2018, 09:18 AM
Handheld should be fine as the protocol is to call every even km on the way, every odd on the way down. In most cases the range of a handheld will do. Line of sight is key, major obstacles like mountains will cause sketchy Tx/Rx regardless of how much power the radio has. The first year I went up an FSR in the winter a logging truck almost took me out. I had been calling as required but apparently "Sharky" didn't hear me. He came around a switchback & I had to take the snowbank to avoid becoming his hood ornament. I got out ok, but it was a reminder that even with a radio, caution & a little luck can save your bacon. Also be aware of the licensing requirements for VHF transceivers. I know many use them unlicensed but it is unlawful. The Industry Canada site has all the info, it's about $45 a year to maintain a license, small price to pay to stay legal when you consider the amount of money we spend on hunting as a whole.

My initial purchase was an 8 channel Kenwood that needs to be taken back to the vendor to be reprogrammed. I found 8 channels on a non user programmable radio were not near enough for the number of different FSRs I frequent. I use the radio on backcountry ski touring trips as well. I have since acquired a couple of Baofengs which have tons of channels and are programmable. They also feature an FM radio for tunes and can be used on the GMRS short range bands which don't require a license.

I got a patch cable & the software to program the Kenwood. Bit of a pain since the cable is RS232 standard so I need to use a Windows XP laptop to do the dirty deed, but taking it back to the vendor would cost $35 a pop not to mention the downtime. There is an RS232 to USB driver for Windows 10 but I can't seem to get that to work consistently. Programming radios in the field is bending the rules of Industry Canada but at the end of the day, when it comes to safety, I'll do what I need to do.

An advantage of the handheld is portability.

The protocol is different on every road, it’s best to read the sign before starting up the road.

mike31154
09-06-2018, 09:30 AM
Several years ago Industry Canada initiated a policy to standardize FSR protocols & frequencies, but yes, reading the sign on entry is definitely a wise move.

BromBones
09-06-2018, 09:33 AM
Both my trucks have ICom IC-F5021 radios mounted in them. Not cheap but they work great, plenty of range for roads in rough terrain.

My handhelds are made by Baofeng, I bought a pair for around $200 and program them myself with whatever channels I want. Software is free and you can get channel frequencies online. They work fine, get a lot of abuse bouncing around in my boat, vehicles, backpack, quad, etc. No issues in a couple years.

Handhelds are generally OK if you just want to be able to monitor a logging road channel and call your km when other vehicles are close by. The nice thing is you can buy them in pairs and use them for walkie talkies, and you can also get an adapter to use them with a roof mounted antenna in your vehicle which bumps up the range by quite a bit. So a little more versatile. Usually they're 5-6 watts output, good to transmit 3 to 4 miles - more or less - depending on the terrain. They'll receive from a further distance when the signal is coming from a trucker or another vehicle with a 50 watt mobile radio like the ICom I mentioned above.

kootenaihunter
09-06-2018, 11:14 AM
Anybody have more details on the Baofeng models used?

I'm more looking for something to just monitor, would prefer not to transmit, but the option would be nice.

ian745
09-06-2018, 12:19 PM

I'm more looking for something to just monitor, would prefer not to transmit, but the option would be nice.

i know a few guys in my hunting group that use them to monitor the road channels, seem to work ok, range isnt that great, but its on the north island so not the best for line of sight, but you can hear them when they are nice and close, with enough to get out of the way, i know, the area we hunt, the truck drivers appreciate the fact we listen and take actions to get out of the way and let them keep working with little to no impact, , all in the interest of safety,

BromBones
09-06-2018, 12:38 PM

Mine are the UV-82 models. Kit comes with charging stations and earpieces, and you can buy better antennas for them to extend the range a little for an extra $30-40. Or like I mentioned above, buy a magnetic truck mount antenna and use an adapter for the handheld when using in a vehicle, it works well.

Google or Youtube search and you'll find a ton of info on different models, the radios are very popular.

Chiron
09-06-2018, 10:43 PM
I also use the UV-82 and happy with them. I use CHIRP software (free) to program them.

Fozzie
09-07-2018, 04:50 AM
I’m using the Baofeng UV-5R. Think I paid $90 for 2 radio’s. Upgraded from the stubby antenna
that comes with the radio to the 16 inch whip, much better antenna. Just use the free CHIRP
software to program them.

Stormy
09-07-2018, 12:57 PM
Baofeng UV-5R for me too, great little radios especially when equipped with the ugraded aerial

j270wsm
09-07-2018, 08:04 PM
Can't remember which beofeng I have but it's the 8 watt model. A group of us bought them for sledding so we bought the longer antenna ( 16" ) and mics. The farthes I've been able to transmit so far is 18-20km. One of our friends programmed all the fsr channels, bc ambulance( can only listen to this channel ) main road, local bc search and rescue and a bunch more channels. So far they are an awesome radio.

I think they were $120 from eBay or amazon.

srupp
09-07-2018, 09:07 PM
Can't remember which beofeng I have but it's the 8 watt model. A group of us bought them for sledding so we bought the longer antenna ( 16" ) and mics. The farthes I've been able to transmit so far is 18-20km. One of our friends programmed all the fsr channels, bc ambulance( can only listen to this channel ) main road, local bc search and rescue and a bunch more channels. So far they are an awesome radio.

I think they were $120 from eBay or amazon.

Lol no big deal on listening to BC Ambulance..constantly hearing important information about " 348 Alpha.we will be 10.7 at Tango Hotel "..lol..
Cheers
Steven

j270wsm
09-07-2018, 09:24 PM
I'm not sure why he programed that channel into the radios.

Gun Dog
09-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Most of the province has moved to standard resource road channels (https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/radio-communications) for forest service roads. Industry Canada has the frequencies here (https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11127.html). RR channels are for on the road. LD channels are for loading/unloading yards.

TedMcGill
07-27-2021, 07:30 PM
I’m hunting north of Prince George 7-16A and was wondering if anyone knows the frequency I need to have programmed into my radio

.330 Dakota
07-27-2021, 08:21 PM
I use a permanently mounted Icom in the truck, and a Icom handheld in the bush and on the quad, never failed me

.330 Dakota
07-27-2021, 08:21 PM
I’m hunting north of Prince George 7-16A and was wondering if anyone knows the frequency I need to have programmed into my radio

Get all the RR channels and LADD 1, 2 AND 3

ACE
07-27-2021, 08:47 PM
Have 80+ channels/frequencies all around PG
Most are now using the RR channels.
PM me if you want.

Bugle M In
07-27-2021, 11:18 PM
I use Baofengs.
At least 5W, but i think mine are 8W?
As far as cheap go, that is the way to go.
If you want better and pay more, than others have posted already.
Works to listen in on RR's and who is around and where.
And have used it to call out my km and direction as well if road is active.
They seem to appreciate when the guys working are hauling.

ACE
07-28-2021, 07:30 AM
Please use your VHF when travelling logging/mining/resource roads. The signage at the start/exit point tells you the sequence when calling.
Mine are a pair of Icom mobiles in truck and Jeep. Stay safe.

Arctic Lake
07-28-2021, 08:33 AM
Ted. If I’m correct you need a licence from the Federal Goverment to use your radio as when I first inquired about radios on HBC that is what I was told and that is what I got ! About $40.00 a year . I have mine !I have an ICOM Handheld . I did not get a chance to use it last year as the roads we used in the bush were not active haul roads . There a lot of knowledgeable fellas on here
Arctic Lake

Stresd
07-28-2021, 09:15 AM
Yes you are required/supposed to have an amateur radio license if operating an amateur radio. But there is no fee for a basic (Ham)amateur radio license. So not to sure what you paid the $40 bucks for?
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf01862.html
Fees A fee is not required for the issuance of an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate in accordance with the following:

to issue an initial station call sign and Amateur Radio Operator Certificate with Basic Qualification;
to issue a replacement certificate due to loss or damage;
to issue a replacement certificate with a new call sign, due to a change in address to a new province or territory; and
to issue a replacement certificate as a result of obtaining an additional qualification such as Morse code, or Advanced.

A fee of $60.00 is required for the issuance of an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate in accordance with the following:

to change an existing call sign (including changing to a two letter call sign);
to issue a call sign to the station of a club or other organization;
to issue an amateur radio operator an additional station call sign; and
to issue a special event or special prefix station call sign.

.330 Dakota
07-28-2021, 10:11 AM
Ted. If I’m correct you need a licence from the Federal Goverment to use your radio as when I first inquired about radios on HBC that is what I was told and that is what I got ! About $40.00 a year . I have mine !I have an ICOM Handheld . I did not get a chance to use it last year as the roads we used in the bush were not active haul roads . There a lot of knowledgeable fellas on here
Arctic Lake

I doubt you will find a log truck operator anywhere that actually pays a license fee. They are happy to not run over pickups, and appreciate anyone with a radio giving them the "right of way". Ive been using these radios for 20 years, no licensing no issues...just another Govt money grab

wallz
07-28-2021, 10:25 AM
I use Baofengs.
At least 5W, but i think mine are 8W?
As far as cheap go, that is the way to go.
If you want better and pay more, than others have posted already.
Works to listen in on RR's and who is around and where.
And have used it to call out my km and direction as well if road is active.
They seem to appreciate when the guys working are hauling.

The Baofengs are known to nNOT have the best mic in the hand held units. This makes is hard to have the trucks actually hear what you are saying.
If using one it is best to get an external mic. This combined cost, almost puts you into a proper hand held radio.

Stresd
07-28-2021, 11:34 AM
enlarging a wee little bit, that tiny little hole where the mike pickup is greatly enhances audio. Too large can make things worse as picks up too much background.

hurley16
07-28-2021, 04:20 PM

Go to your local radio store and they should have resource road channel map of the province. Might also be posted on the web somewhere

As as someone who drive resource roads daily I would recommend that recreationalists only use radios to listen. Radios are busy enough with industry traffic and adding more chatter wont make roads safer.

Thx

Bugle M In
07-28-2021, 05:10 PM
^^^^yes, you don't have a conversation with your buddy driving in another vehicle while on an RR channel!
Those are for the folks working.
Only use RR to tell them you location.
Use a second channel (which i like on the boafengs), some channel completely different to converse with friend while listening still
to any RR work communication.

FYI, definitely had my small share of hunting intel while listening in on these guys working;-)

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
07-28-2021, 05:54 PM
All Baofeng radios can be set to monitor 2 channels at once so you can monitor the RR channel and your walkie/talkie channel at the same time.

Stresd
07-28-2021, 07:10 PM
When traveling in a group On an RR road. I use my truck mounted Icom 2300H to stay in communication with the other trucks in the group who all have Truck mounted Vhf's. While monitoring and calling mileage, with a Chinese hand held connected to a magnetic antenna on my roof, greatly extending it's range. Makes for a lot less chatter on the working RR and everyone in the group knows what is going on as most are also monitoring the RR on their handhelds. And if not they are getting the info from the group on our main traveling freq.

westcoaster
07-29-2021, 07:42 AM
Yes you are required/supposed to have an amateur radio license if operating an amateur radio. But there is no fee for a basic (Ham)amateur radio license. So not to sure what you paid the $40 bucks for?
Fees

A fee is not required for the issuance of an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate in accordance with the following:

to issue an initial station call sign and Amateur Radio Operator Certificate with Basic Qualification;
to issue a replacement certificate with a new call sign, due to a change in address to a new province or territory; and
to issue a replacement certificate as a result of obtaining an additional qualification such as Morse code, or Advanced.

A fee of $60.00 is required for the issuance of an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate in accordance with the following:

An amateur radio license allows you to broadcast on the a amateur frequencies. It does not permit you to broadcast on the commercial frequencies which is where the resource road frequencies lie....

There are three VHF license types. Amateur, Commercial and Marine. Each license type permits you to use a particular VHF service.
Think of it this way.... There are three gun license types. Non restricted, restricted and prohibited.
What you have proposed here with the amateur license is akin to thinking your non restricted gun license gives you permission to acquire a .45 magnum handgun ....

mike31154
07-29-2021, 01:12 PM
Fees

A fee is not required for the issuance of an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate in accordance with the following:

The annual $40 from Industry Canada assigns you a frequency & allows you to operate the VHF transceiver you've registered with them on that channel. Transmitting on any other channel requires written permission of the frequency holder. That aside, no one is going to turn you in keeping safe on an FSR or transmitting on another channel in the event of an emergency. Keep it short & to the FSR protocol.

My original VHF is an 8 Channel Kenwood & the frequency assigned is the BC LAD or general trucking frequency. That's the one that is licensed with IC, subject to an annual renewal & fee. I also have several Baofengs as they have more than enough channels to hold all the FSR frequencies. If I have to re program the Kenwood for an FSR channel I don't have for a hunt, I have to take it to the vendor & that costs every time.

Technically every transceiver in your possession requires a separate license. Commercial users with fleets operating VHFs have some sort of fleet license if not mistaken. I keep my license current with annual $40 renewal & use it mainly on FSRs to stay safe. If it's in the vehicle while I'm on the highway I'll monitor the LAD channel but rarely transmit on it. It can be useful to advise on road closures, accidents or if there happens to be a speed trap set up somewhere. Some truckers will get on there with their life story or to chit chat. I don't have a HAM or Amateur operator's license.

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4m2mdDJtskp-m6aW70i8PLs1VIbW3tmSZwf3_47GJuHymHlgglJz4pozFVAUUN n9e4L3Vr7uzGQKXlGdrAeB-WLrU8DqTYVk8c4X2XMJACDBtKbJRnZ2vGyUDKxj1bzZpBVh6Q6 RKAd-Q3NWCuzUeXFdJFSi1nW_FcfW9B0ZJCH01lZAonD-y63swPXTmQ6pci?width=1024&height=536&cropmode=none

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mr6IW4NibrNsnpctlTlwYhMMyhlySIy7ITF8JOVI-rQQ8y85ERnJMuzcyAbdnQLFxGnJ9NQR9OndwFIQ8IPtwhLgAur p8s9TU4PJOMLbphqzTE-TbdSevyGonXwJ8Bvchl_2kj99u1klAwzvbvHA43hGgJ9fg0ivU 4EkX6pvRrP74-HARbzN2sEl1XkT80YlI?width=1024&height=553&cropmode=none

mike31154
07-29-2021, 01:29 PM

Here you go. Frequencies themselves are no longer posted at the entrance of FSR, rather the RR#. Each RR is assigned a specific frequency & the RR# may be used in a number of different areas, usually very far apart to prevent interference.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/radio-communications/channel-maps

This link has charts of RR vs Frequency.
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11127.html

mike31154
07-29-2021, 01:56 PM
I doubt you will find a log truck operator anywhere that actually pays a license fee. They are happy to not run over pickups, and appreciate anyone with a radio giving them the "right of way". Ive been using these radios for 20 years, no licensing no issues...just another Govt money grab

To each their own but I'm fairly certain logging truck operators & companies are fully licensed. In fact some of them pay to own a specific frequency. You may never get caught, then again if you do the fine can be substantial, especially on the commercial side. $40 a year to have your radio licensed is a small price to pay in the bigger scheme of things.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf10972.html

Stresd
07-29-2021, 06:50 PM
Once upon a time you needed to pay money for a CB or Marine vhf licence. Both became so popular in the ensuing years that it was impossible to police. So now no license is required. Coming from a hardcore CB background Yaesu, Moonraker and Palomar Linears. Back in 2005, realizing that CB had run it's course, I bought my first Icom 2200H and never looked back. Now running a 2300H. Spoken to many Truckers on the RR roads and they have never once asked to see my amateur licence or asked for my Call numbers. They are just extremely happy that I am able to communicate with them, calling mile signs and pullouts , to help make their job trucking RR roads much safer. One time comes to mind when north of Fort St James and we were heading in for moose. Three trucks and trailers. They were punching a new larger road over the old one. Going through one of the constructions landings to get where we needed to go, it came over the RR freq that someone, communicating to someone else, was sure hoping that group of trucks had radios. Answered back that we sure did. Turned out it was a couple company pickups over in a side of the landing. Went over had a chat with them and were able to gain some great info on what to expect and where to cut off the new road to get on the ole to where we wanted to be. Sorry. But you Can't do that with a $40 license and legal one channel radio.

ACE
07-29-2021, 07:48 PM
Agree . . . the RR channels and their use is a safety issue. Learn the protocol as posted at the entrance to the road, and call your up/down check points. Have loaded logging trucks for 4 decades, and this switchover to the easily accessible Resource Road designation is a welcome change.

Those haul drivers do not want to lose time/trip/$$ by bumping into you. Call your up/down points, and listen. There's other channels for chit-chat.
Believe that there will be no license needed at some time in the future for the RR channels.

S.W.A.T.
07-30-2021, 05:02 AM
Why is this still a debatable subject? Almost like the drinking and driving subject.....

westcoaster
07-30-2021, 08:05 AM
Why is this still a debatable subject? Almost like the drinking and driving subject.....

Probably because there is so much wrong information being posted up on how to achieve that safety on the logging roads....

At a minimum fellas, understand what laws you are breaking to achieve that road safety.

Is any sort of HAM gear (Icom 2300H or the chinese Baofeng radios) legal to transmit on the Resource road channels? NO! It is not! does it work? yes, it does...

Do you need a license to transmit on the resource road channels? Yes you do! The ONLY license is a commercial VHF license at $36 to $40 a year (I do not know the exact amount). Amateur VHF licenses do not permit you to broadcast on the commercial VHF frequencies.
Are you ever going to get checked? Maybe... In all my years of having a whip waggling around on my truck I have not been asked for a license, but I did roll through a radio check point in Williams Lake once.
It was dusk, and they were mostly concerned with commercial trucks. I got the stink eye when one guy saw the whip on the truck and camper and by that time it was too late to wave me over....

Know what frequencies you can use for chatter anywhere in the province. The idea of just plugging any old frequency in your radio and keying up the microphone will eventually get you in trouble.
Repeaters are everywhere. They use one frequency as an "input" and a different frequency as an "output" they are usually located on mountain tops to extend their range.
If you decide to chose the "input" frequency as your chatter channel you could be splattering your babble for thousands of square KM and never know it. Depending on the purpose of the repeater, there could be safety implications as well.

Redthies
07-30-2021, 08:24 AM
An amateur radio license allows you to broadcast on the a amateur frequencies. It does not permit you to broadcast on the commercial frequencies which is where the resource road frequencies lie....

There are three VHF license types. Amateur, Commercial and Marine. Each license type permits you to use a particular VHF service.
Think of it this way.... There are three gun license types. Non restricted, restricted and prohibited.
What you have proposed here with the amateur license is akin to thinking your non restricted gun license gives you permission to acquire a .45 magnum handgun ....

This one, and your last post above are right on the mark, except for the “.45 Magnum” reference!

REMINGTON JIM
07-30-2021, 11:55 AM
Probably because there is so much wrong information being posted up on how to achieve that safety on the logging roads....

At a minimum fellas, understand what laws you are breaking to achieve that road safety.

Is any sort of HAM gear (Icom 2300H or the chinese Baofeng radios) legal to transmit on the Resource road channels? NO! It is not! does it work? yes, it does...

Do you need a license to transmit on the resource road channels? Yes you do! The ONLY license is a commercial VHF license at $36 to $40 a year (I do not know the exact amount). Amateur VHF licenses do not permit you to broadcast on the commercial VHF frequencies.
Are you ever going to get checked? Maybe... In all my years of having a whip waggling around on my truck I have not been asked for a license, but I did roll through a radio check point in Williams Lake once.
It was dusk, and they were mostly concerned with commercial trucks. I got the stink eye when one guy saw the whip on the truck and camper and by that time it was too late to wave me over....

Know what frequencies you can use for chatter anywhere in the province. The idea of just plugging any old frequency in your radio and keying up the microphone will eventually get you in trouble.
Repeaters are everywhere. They use one frequency as an "input" and a different frequency as an "output" they are usually located on mountain tops to extend their range.
If you decide to chose the "input" frequency as your chatter channel you could be splattering your babble for thousands of square KM and never know it. Depending on the purpose of the repeater, there could be safety implications as well.

SO ! I want 2 hand helds to be able to comunicate with a fellow Quad or Sled rider while out in the Boonies - Also for Hunting - Fishing too and to CALL out the KM signs on Forest service roads with active logging trucks hauling on them !
What do i need that's Legal ? Thxs RJ

Bugle M In
07-30-2021, 12:18 PM
SO ! I want 2 hand held to be able to communicate with a fellow Quad or Sled rider while out in the Boonies - Also for Hunting - Fishing too and to CALL out the KM signs on Forest service roads with active logging trucks hauling on them !

I don't think there is a "legal" version of radio to communicate with, without being licensed?
Also, i think after a certain Wattage Output (I think over 5W and why many buy their radios from the States) is not legal either
without a license.
I understand why because you do have ass hats that don't think, or don't care, and can clog up the airwaves and really cause
havoc for those working and do need the channels open for them to do their jobs safely, after all, they want to go home every
night also!
BUT, i know they appreciate it when guys like us that are hunting and are on the same roads, do in fact call out there location,
and direction of travel, when they step onto the road the workers are using and also when you step off for them to know you
are no longer on it.
If you do it right, and don't do more than that, i think they don't care about us being licensed to be honest.
Its a hell of a lot better than us driving in those active areas without a radio.

I guess if you don't want to communicate, because you are not licensed, than "listening" to the activity and paying full attention
and pulling off to the side and wait for them to pass is a good option as well.
The only down side to that rationale is, if you are both in an area where there is "no room to pull over", than there is big issues.
BY communicating, they know the area, and know where there is room to pass and not pass.
Sometimes they will pull over and wait for you, or they tell you where to wait til they gat by, BUT, that only happens when there
"is communication" between both parties, licensed or not!

ACE
07-30-2021, 12:45 PM
Many of us have years of involvement with this subject. Some very good information here. As Bugle M In mentions above . . . . . "they want to go home every night". As we do too . . . .
There should be a 'Like' button for posters.

westcoaster
07-30-2021, 04:14 PM
SO ! I want 2 hand helds to be able to comunicate with a fellow Quad or Sled rider while out in the Boonies - Also for Hunting - Fishing too and to CALL out the KM signs on Forest service roads with active logging trucks hauling on them !

Right, you asked the question, "What do I need that is Legal?"

As it sits right now, what is legal is a commercial radio license ($40/yea) for EACH of your type approved hand held radios (example Kenwood TK-2312) If you have a Type approved mobile radio (example: Kenwood TK 7360) that needs a license too....
A radio shop needs to program those radios and perform any changes.
You do NOT need a letter of permission to have the resource road frequencies in your radio (but you do need a license), you also get the Western Canada 10 common channels (Appendix 6) with your radio license.

Remember, you asked what is Legal....

Do you come to a complete stop at every stop sign? Do you follow the posted speed limit EXACTLY? I don't, I also know what the consequence of not following that law exactly is...
I'm not telling you to follow the letter of the law either, you asked what is legal and I told you what is legal.

Does a Baofeng work? Yes, Does an Icom 2300H work, Yes, Does shooting your deer with a Dirty Harry .44 Magnum work? Yes....

Will you ever be asked for your radio license? Maybe.... I don't think things have gotten to the point of being a problem yet. What concerns me are fools that do whatever they want, broadcasting on any frequency, and causing harmful interference are going to screw it up for the rest of us....

Educate yourself on wide and narrow band, educate yourself on areas of operation and what frequencies are common in what areas (LAD 1 is not to be used west of Hope)

This post is about understanding what the law is as it currently stands. You make the choice as to whether you want to follow that law or not....

westcoaster
07-30-2021, 04:18 PM
This one, and your last post above are right on the mark, except for the “.45 Magnum” reference!

I knew I would be called out on that one.... :-P

Stresd
07-30-2021, 05:59 PM
This post is about understanding what the law is as it currently stands. You make the choice as to whether you want to follow that law or not....

I'd also like to mention that those that are running a radio similar to a Icom 2200H with a Mike that as all the Buttons on it. Using a mike of this type is considered distracted driving. A Mike with a single push to talk button is legal to use while driving. Also if you disconnect the Mike from your radio. You now only have a scanner.......

Arctic Lake
07-30-2021, 06:08 PM
West coaster ! I have a current radio license from the Federal Government the $40.00 one .I have an ICOM Handheld with the RR channels programmed in by the shop . It is my understanding that if you want to B.S with hunting buddies in the bush you use the LAD channels .Am I correct ? I know the RR channels are not for Chatter .
Arctic Lake
I
As it sits right now, what is legal is a commercial radio license ($40/yea) for EACH of your type approved hand held radios (example Kenwood TK-2312) If you have a Type approved mobile radio (example: Kenwood TK 7360) that needs a license too....
You do NOT need a letter of permission to have the resource road frequencies in your radio (but you do need a license), you also get the Western Canada 10 common channels (Appendix 6) with your radio license.

Do you come to a complete stop at every stop sign? Do you follow the posted speed limit EXACTLY? I don't, I also know what the consequence of not following that law exactly is...
I'm not telling you to follow the letter of the law either, you asked what is legal and I told you what is legal.

Does a Baofeng work? Yes, Does an Icom 2300H work, Yes, Does shooting your deer with a Dirty Harry .44 Magnum work? Yes....

Will you ever be asked for your radio license? Maybe.... I don't think things have gotten to the point of being a problem yet. What concerns me are fools that do whatever they want, broadcasting on any frequency, and causing harmful interference are going to screw it up for the rest of us....

Educate yourself on wide and narrow band, educate yourself on areas of operation and what frequencies are common in what areas (LAD 1 is not to be used west of Hope)

westcoaster
07-30-2021, 06:38 PM
Three things....

If you remove the microphone from your two way radio you still have a two way radio.
A two way radio with or without a microphone is still type approved as a two way radio, not a scanner.

Radio etiquette would dictate the chatter stays off the resource road channels. Guys with radios know full well there is a little bit of chatter that does goes on.
Largely a brief bit of chatter isn't a problem but attention needs to be paid to how a radio is used while this chatter takes place. Driver "A" says his piece immediately responded by driver "B" immediately responded by "A" immediately responded by "B" immediately responded by "A" meanwhile driver "C" has just passed a mile post, knows someone is near and can't get an opening to call his mile.

Instead of Immediately responding to babble with babble, space out the reply time, give several seconds of silence between message and reply. This gives the guy that really wants to get his message out an opening to do so. Keep the messages brief instead of tying up the channel for minutes at a time. If you want to tell your life story, pull off the road and go to the LAD channels....

third thing... I'm not a "radio expert" I am a guy that has geeked out on radios. the commercial spectrum has been an interest for me for many years.
I feel the best way of staying out of trouble is to fly under the radar and fully understand what will get me into trouble in the first place....

westcoaster
07-30-2021, 07:03 PM
"Type Approved"

Devices used in the radio spectrum undergo testing to meet certain standards for power output, frequency stability, user interface etc. ALL aspects of that radio must meet a minimum standard and are tested for that criteria.

Commercial radios must meet certain criteria, Amateur radios meet a different criteria and scanners meet yet a third criteria. (self programmable radios are not type approved for use in the commercial band are one part of the criteria)

Generally, old commercial equipment is sought after by ham enthusiasts as tolerances are quite a bit tighter than ham radio gear.
Somewhere down at the bottom of the pile are those cheap chinese Baofeng radios. Connect one of those to an analyzer and you'll see those splattering shit all over the spectrum.
However, they still work and they are cheap (for a reason)

Used commercial radios can be had fairly inexpensively and cables and software can be obtained reasonably easy.

REMINGTON JIM
07-30-2021, 08:08 PM
Is a Baofeng UV82HP a Good hand held radio unit ? RJ

westcoaster
07-30-2021, 08:43 PM

Depends on what your definition of Good is....

In the technical department, compared to a Kenwood or a Motorola they are a terrible radio.
In the price department, compared to a Kenwood or a Motorola they are a fantastic bargain.

As was described elsewhere here, if the Baofeng breaks, toss and buy another. A fella isn't as concerned about the welfare of the radio at the price point the Baofengs sell at as compared to a Kenwood or Motorola.

Do they work? Sure they do, are they legal for anything but Amateur radio? No they are not. Is anyone really going to notice? Maybe? depends on how they are programmed.
Does the Baofeng UV82HP do narrow band?
Resource road frequencies are narrow band. LAD frequencies are wide band.

If the resource road frequencies are programmed wide band, there will be audio problems. You will sound loud and distorted to a properly programmed radio.

S.W.A.T.
07-30-2021, 08:57 PM
Go to store, buy radio, get programming with ALL the RR channels and maybe some others if you like. Pay the license fee and go have fun. This isn't something that needs to be over thought. You don't get a bill to get a new license, no one is policing this. $500 will get you a very good setup, or rent one for $50/month. Small price for coming home alive or for not being the cause of a accident. No, 99% of FSR's are only RADIO ASSISTED not radio controlled. That being said it sure is nice to have,

Let's not over complicate this beyond what it already is.

boxhitch
07-31-2021, 08:19 AM
Found this option on 4WDABC

Some wheelers have long argued for one radio that could do both… and now we can offer that!

With a LOT of help from our Corporate Sustaining Member, Vernon Communications Ltd (https://www.facebook.com/vernoncommunications.ca/?__cft__[0]=AZXeOhev_f-UMm4Yb4DHHF91X_K1WgUVtRBBxRn11l9cS2PfIANJB468ETF2V lD7WQB07N6OOsq9W95Gx1LUyDosaNm1h6UI0IH8xWZAyopNmGR _UD2YEPBTaMtGkrYFv9_6IHkFyFiPiXuZiZ3SX9Mf&__tn__=kK-R), we have applied for, and received, our own 4WDABC licensed frequency that is now a part of Appendix RR of the ISED spectrum: in short, if you license your land mobile radio for RR channels, you now get the 4WDABC channel for convenient backroads communications in your groups as well.

This greatly simplifies all-in-one backcountry communications for off-roaders province wide! One radio, one license, no course or test required. It also moves regular chatter off RR channels into an area where you can talk within your group without causing problems for industrial users.

https://www.4wdabc.ca/communications

Arctic Lake
07-31-2021, 09:42 AM
Box hitch Thank You for posting this ! I may have some questions .
Arctic Lake

Bugle M In
07-31-2021, 11:06 AM
I think that is what i have.
They work.

geologist
07-31-2021, 12:20 PM
Mine are the UV-82 models. Kit comes with charging stations and earpieces, and you can buy better antennas for them to extend the range a little for an extra $30-40. Or like I mentioned above, buy a magnetic truck mount antenna and use an adapter for the handheld when using in a vehicle, it works well.

Google or Youtube search and you'll find a ton of info on different models, the radios are very popular.

Same here, external mike, 12V power adaptor and a magnetic roof antenna. Cheap, does the job.

JAGRMEISTER
08-02-2021, 07:58 AM
When you meet the first commercial truck on any forest service road, every other truck will know your location! yOU DONT NEED A RADIO, YOU JUST NEED TO DRIVE SANELY!

ACE
08-02-2021, 08:31 AM
When you meet the first commercial truck on any forest service road, every other truck will know your location! yOU DONT NEED A RADIO, YOU JUST NEED TO DRIVE SANELY!

Get a radio . . . learn how to use it.

igojuone
08-02-2021, 08:57 AM

I agree as to learning what channels are common in different areas and what they are used for. Question, why is LAD 1 not to be used west of Hope? Here in Kamloops it's used heavily for everything and when I drove out of Fort St. John it was used mainly for emergency chatter but not exclusively for that reason.

REMINGTON JIM
08-02-2021, 10:03 AM

Yea -Well tha'ts all WELL & FINE ! till you meet a Loaded Log truck on a steep hill on a corner and its a 1 lane road ! Then your PHUCKED ! :cry: RJ

westcoaster
08-02-2021, 10:13 AM
I agree as to learning what channels are common in different areas and what they are used for. Question, why is LAD 1 not to be used west of Hope? Here in Kamloops it's used heavily for everything and when I drove out of Fort St. John it was used mainly for emergency chatter but not exclusively for that reason.

West of Hope and south of Nanaimo is close to the Canada US border and in many parts of the US 154.1 is used for EMS dispatch. I can only assume something on the coast close to the border in the US is using that frequency.
Canada and the US do coordinate on frequency allocations around the border.
If you look at the areas of use for the resource road frequencies you will find about half are not to be used within 60Km of the Canada US border.

edit:
Reality of the situation: LAD 1 is used heavily pretty much up to Abbotsford then it peters out heading in to Vancouver.
Abbotsford is as close to the US border as you can get...
Once I heard the behind the scenes for a global news broadcast on LAD 1 so it could be something in Vancouver that is protected....

S.W.A.T.
08-02-2021, 12:37 PM

Can I be in your will?