PDA

View Full Version : The moose on the loose

Xenomorph
09-05-2018, 09:23 AM
T'was a day like no other, filled to the brim with "happenings" and "events" that might have soured even the sweetest of palates.

Armed with good faith and purpose we set for Valemount/McBride area in search of bears with a good friend who's yet to shoot one. Well, the story goes like always, we get into the valley, we find it washed out, we go to the next and it's a massive logging operation on the middle of the valley and there's no way to go through to the end where we planned to camp. Try one more and history repeats itself.

Armed with good humour, two old chatting parents and lots of hope we set north, away from initial disappointments.

Got into the area some 7 hours later and as we're looking for a place to camp I hit a hardened mud rise as I was trying to navigate myself out of getting stuck ...I hear a bam, clank, and see myself losing something behind. I'm like "Oops! There goes the plastic bumper skirt!" You wish! We step out of he car to pick our brains and maps as to where next and SURPRISE! ...the gas tank is hanging low in the back, clamp missing ...and I'm about a click from the place i left it. Choice words were mentioned, car was lifted and I head out to pick the part... or try to.

Once back to the car nobody was talking the faces, the looks, the worries ...

Is it going to be like this for the rest of the weekend, are things going to turn around, what am I going to do?!?

Tank secured we set out looking for a campsite, AND THERE's a bear. Both of us jump out of the car, load the gun, I'm faster, loaded, aim, fire WTF?!? Gun lock still on, buddy's still looking for the bear as his ass breaks the treeline. Laughing or crying, don't know what's next ...more crying, as every single spot "my own" was already taken and I had to interest to "double up".

Head deeper young one, said Yoda, didn't he? When the bush is thick, go deeper! So we did, found a spur, pull in and just as fast stop car, jump out, run load and everyone hears BAM! BAM!

He was pretending to be a bush or something, some 80 yards away, right at the edge of the forest. First bullet broke the right shoulder as he tried to bolt forward, he spun around on the good left leg but he didn't reach the treeline anymore, second bullet completely shattered the left front leg and he crumpled. Lungs were gone on first shot, second dropped him before reaching the treeline again.

That's the story of no bears, car trouble, locked gun, two bullets and a moose that "was" on the loose.

Oh yes, gun is a MkV Accumark 30-378 Weatherby, was shooting 220g Hornady ELDX factory ammo. I don't usually use that ammo, I'm usually loading my own TTSXs, but since I had it, I said let's use it, get pops to target practice or something. It did the job perfectly.