PDA

View Full Version : Wild pigs in BC???

Stu
09-04-2018, 04:49 PM
So, I was out last weekend and come across that looked like a bunch of wild pigs.
I remember hearing about them a while back but I was not sure of the legality of
harvesting them.

After getting home and googling it apparently it is perfectly legal to harvest them.

I saw them on a FSR in a wet almost swampy area. Curiously there was a road leading off the FSR
that had a "private property" sign on it. It was way into the FSR and there were no other signs of any
other kind that there was any privet property there.

There is a video of therm;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncj4WBe5PQc

Now my question is, is it OK to shoot them?
As I could tell they were on crown land.
What would you have done?
I can't imagine that a farmer would let his pigs out on crown land, they were very destructive.

I was really tempted but I wanted to ask first before some farmer is going to run after me for stealing his bacon.

Stu
09-04-2018, 04:50 PM
there is another clip of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X39hqSK0EZQ

What do you think?

Rieber
09-04-2018, 04:55 PM
Chooot 'em Jacob

Brew
09-04-2018, 04:57 PM
Shootem and prep the smoker on the bbq. Care to give the area?they are pests that need to be eradicated or we will end up with the same problem as the states.
i hope you can bag a few if you go back

igojuone
09-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Shoot at will.

jlirot
09-04-2018, 05:06 PM
I'll go with you. :-) I want to shoot one. Those little guys look tasty!

Blainer
09-04-2018, 05:15 PM
That’s the pork for this years sausages

Bugle M In
09-04-2018, 05:28 PM
how come I am not getting any of these videos as of late (always just a black screen)??
but yes. if they are feral, blast away, as long as it is ok to shoot there, and isn't private land.

REMINGTON JIM
09-04-2018, 05:30 PM
YUP ! No PICS ! :shock: RJ

monasheemountainman
09-04-2018, 05:32 PM
Where are they?!

RackStar
09-04-2018, 06:02 PM
Nice find..
shoot for sure. Everyone loves bacon.

Bchunt
09-04-2018, 06:19 PM
Given they are so tame, and private land nearby, you may want to proceed with caution. Maybe double check property boundaries first - or talk to the landowner. While you may be within justification to shoot do you want the microscope on you if they are a "pet"

Redthies
09-04-2018, 06:22 PM
I agree with Bchunt. Check with the landowner at the spot you saw signage. If they aren’t his, BACON!!!!!

Wild one
09-04-2018, 08:43 PM
Given they are so tame, and private land nearby, you may want to proceed with caution. Maybe double check property boundaries first - or talk to the landowner. While you may be within justification to shoot do you want the microscope on you if they are a "pet"

Good advice

make sure you’re 100% before pulling a trigger

Luka77
09-04-2018, 08:44 PM
What are rules about pig farming? Do they need to have an ear tag? These ones on the video don't have tags.

Wild one
09-04-2018, 08:50 PM
What are rules about pig farming? Do they need to have an ear tag? These ones on the video don't have tags.

No tag or mark needed to have a pig

Danny_29
09-04-2018, 08:55 PM
Make sure to report with wildboarcanada seems like a cool site to keep updated.

Manglinmike
09-04-2018, 09:28 PM
I have no pics aswell

Stu
09-04-2018, 10:21 PM
I would post the location but i got that area suggested from an another member
here so I don't think I should post it publicly without his permission.

As for contacting the land owner, there is just a sign on a small road branching of the main FSR
with "no trespassing private property" no contact info. Is it even legit?
There appears to be no structures on that area looking at it from google earth.

How would I find out who is the owner let alone contact them?

Kill-da-wabbit
09-04-2018, 11:37 PM
Even if they have a tag, they are fair game if they are off private property and not under a farmers control.

britman101
09-05-2018, 12:22 AM
From looking at your video and the way those pigs are acting, I would say those are domesticated pigs. Just like range cattle looks like someone is allowing their animals to graze freely. I would report it to the Fish and Wildlife office in that area. More likely than not they will know who owns that property, and the legalities of shooting pigs that may have wandered on to Crown land. My two cents worth on the matter.

gunnie 2018
09-05-2018, 12:26 AM
Hello to you all. Try just south of Hicks lake. Back of Harrison hot springs. back road. Swings to ruby creek. Black forest mix. Pigs broke thru pen. In the mid 80's. Hardy breed. N yummy. All yours.

shortrange
09-05-2018, 12:36 AM
So, I was out last weekend and come across that looked like a bunch of wild pigs.

After getting home and googling it apparently it is perfectly legal to harvest them.

I saw them on a FSR in a wet almost swampy area. Curiously there was a road leading off the FSR

If you mean the "wild" pigs on a certain FSR south of Avola, those are from the farm with the private property signs. They don't have stock tags. Do yourself a favor and call a CO before shooting someone's livestock. If you saw a cow would you shoot it?

Stu
09-05-2018, 01:06 AM
If you mean the "wild" pigs on a certain FSR south of Avola, those are from the farm with the private property signs. They don't have stock tags. Do yourself a favor and call a CO before shooting someone's livestock. If you saw a cow would you shoot it?
No I would not shoot a cow as I am aware of farmers leasing crown land for grazing rights.
I have never heard of farmers having grazing rights for pigs, hat is the reason I am asking here.
I don't think it is right that the farmer is allowing his pigs to get out and roam unrestricted on crown land, just ask any Texan about feral pigs.

boxhitch
09-05-2018, 03:58 AM
You are right Stu, they shouldn't be out and would be considered feral, NBL
It's not like they can be rounded up and returned to the pen

As for private property, a call in to the regional district office will clarify that.
for example TNRD has myRegionView interactive maps online
tnrdmap.tnrd.ca/myregionview

kootenaihunter
09-05-2018, 07:23 AM
You can also use this official site which will show different layers including private property

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/data/geographic-data-services/web-based-mapping/imapbc

skibum
09-05-2018, 08:35 AM
No I would not shoot a cow as I am aware of farmers leasing crown land for grazing rights.
I have never heard of farmers having grazing rights for pigs, hat is the reason I am asking here.
I don't think it is right that the farmer is allowing his pigs to get out and roam unrestricted on crown land, just ask any Texan about feral pigs.

Just because there are some cool pig hunting videos from the southern states doesn't mean the first time you see a pig in the wild here they are going to take over. Our forests here will not support a vibrant population of feral pigs. I have researched this and there is an article about it in an old BC Outdoors about some Harrison pigs - Biologists were not worried about loose pigs there in the 80's - heard anything about them recently?

I think the closest you are going to get is some farm land in Alberta, and there is a suspicion that they are being let go for $$$ to hunt them.

I got excited about hunting them when it was first mentioned in the regs, but some research showed there is no pig problem in BC. Some dude is even putting ads in Kamloops kijiji???

Ltbullken
09-05-2018, 08:47 AM
If the surrounding land isn't posted and signed and the pigs are wondering freely, blast 'em!

Wild one
09-05-2018, 09:54 AM

You have valid points but I would still recommend research beyond this forum to be sure you cover yourself because I have seen my share of bad advice given here

For starters contact local CO about your findings and go over landowners map

You don’t want to be that hunter to make the paper for shooting a farmers pig because the media would run wild with it making you and all hunters look bad

If all is good enjoy some pork in the freezer

srupp
09-05-2018, 09:57 AM
Hmm if they are on crown land . shoot. .once they leave private property..they are legit..and BC wants these shot on site.
2 years ago we were out by beechers prairie. .where pigs were turned loose from failed pig farm..friend shot 2 large hogs.
All we saw were prints, wallows, and later that winter trails through the snow..never did see an actual pig out there..last fall a resident hunter shot 1 on the back of Meldrum creek rd.
Steven

Stu
09-05-2018, 01:39 PM
According to https://tnrdmap.tnrd.ca/MyRegionView/
the side where no trespassing is posted is a parcel.
Unfortunately I have no experience interpreting the details about it.
The pigs were on the other side.

I really didn't wanted to go into discussion if wild pigs are a problem in BC or not,
I was just curious about whether is it ok to get some bacon or not.
And just to reiterate, I always err on the side of caution and that is the reason I have
not killed one.

I have never contacted a CO before for any reason.
It would be definitely the most sensible thing to do.
How does one go about finding out who is the CO of the region and their contact info?

Bugle M In
09-05-2018, 01:44 PM
What would be the closest big town (I can't recall where you saw these pigs).
Then just type in the nearest CO office to those pigs, as this most likely would be the CO's looking into your experience of
the situation at hand.
I am sure from there, you will get some answers.

britman101
09-05-2018, 04:11 PM
Contacting the CO is the best bet to get his views on the matter. If the private property butts up against Crown land, it makes a little trickier because livestock will get out from time to time due to fences getting damaged, etc..

boxhitch
09-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Just because there are some cool pig hunting videos from the southern states doesn't mean the first time you see a pig in the wild here they are going to take over. Our forests here will not support a vibrant population of feral pigs........BC has varied habitat types, many are suitable for wild pigs

Feral pigs have been treated as invasive pests and eradicated in several locations

HABITAT
Feral pigs are considered adaptable to a variety of habitat types. They are limited however by deep snow which affects foraging, and access to water. Feral pigs often travel in groups, preferring riparian areas with sufficient water. Within B.C., feral pigs could continue to spread into a variety of regions, specifically Vancouver Island, the Lower Mainland, along with the Central-Southern Interior.
ARE THEY HERE YET?
Yes. Within B.C., feral pigs have been reported in low numbers in the Lower Mainland, Vancouver Island, Thompson-Okanagan, Peace, Chilcotin and Kootenay Regions. Feral pigs have not yet established large populations in the province.
HOW CAN WE STOP THEM?
Prevention:
• Do not leave out attractants such as garbage or any form of potential food
• Maintain fence security and monitor location of livestock
• Do not release feral pigs in the province (It is Illegal!)
• Raise awareness to avoid further spread
• Removal
• Feral pigs can be hunted in B.C.
LOOK-ALIKES
Feral pigs can be mistaken for domestic pigs as they look very similar. If they are not in captivity or are not otherwise under a person's control then they can be considered feral.

for.gov.bc.ca/hra/invasive-species/publications/.../feral_pig_alert.pdf

boxhitch
09-05-2018, 06:15 PM
Contacting the CO is the best bet to get his views on the matter. .Or use the BCWF Conservation App to report with pictures and gps co-ord's

boxhitch
09-05-2018, 06:20 PM
Not to be taken lightly

Tue, Feb 2: Delegates from across British Columbia have gathered in Richmond to talk about how to deal with invasive species causing serious problems, including feral pigs rampaging in specific regions of the province. Gail Wallin from the Invasive Species Council of B.C. talks about how big the problem is.
https://globalnews.ca/video/2494028/experts-urge-action-on-feral-pig-problem-in-regions-of-b-c

Rieber
09-05-2018, 06:41 PM
Sorry but I can't find where I read that I can kill feral pig and what the limits are. Does anyone have a link to that they can share? I was sure I read it somewhere but can't find it now. Thanks.

Stu
09-05-2018, 07:26 PM
Sorry but I can't find where I read that I can kill feral pig and what the limits are. Does anyone have a link to that they can share? I was sure I read it somewhere but can't find it now. Thanks.
https://bcinvasives.ca/news-events/recent-highlights/bc-hunters-given-the-okay-to-shoot-feral-pigs-anywhere

cassiarkid
09-05-2018, 07:47 PM
What’s with all this crap about shoot first ask questions later?? You people give hunters a bad name. I know if they were my pigs and someone shot them 200 yards away from my property, there would be hell to pay.
Like some of the others said, do your due diligence and knock on some doors or make some phone calls, never mind the Rambo crap!

Rieber
09-05-2018, 08:27 PM
Thank you. I found the updated Schedule C and the pigs are listed at 1(f).

Sharpish
09-05-2018, 09:41 PM
What’s with all this crap about shoot first ask questions later?? You people give hunters a bad name. I know if they were my pigs and someone shot them 200 yards away from my property, there would be hell to pay.
Like some of the others said, do your due diligence and knock on some doors or make some phone calls, never mind the Rambo crap!

Well they shouldn't be off your property. You can't set pigs free and ranch them free range style lol. They are a big problem across most of the states and they are always expanding.

These arent pets or cattle with a crown range lease.

srupp
09-05-2018, 09:47 PM
Well they shouldn't be off your property. You can't set pigs free and ranch them free range style lol. They are a big problem across most of the states and they are always expanding.

Hmmj they are off your property..they are legal. Period.no closed seasons, no tags, no limits.lto prevent it from becoming an major problem...an incentive to act early.perfectly legal..
Don't get your panties in a bunch..you could lose those hogs you let escape..and $$$$$ fined for interfering in a legal lawful hunt.
Learn the rules, check your emotions..
Steven

cassiarkid
09-05-2018, 10:36 PM
First of all, there is a difference between feral pigs and domestic pigs! The regulations are not talking about domestic pigs. I lived in NZ and hunted wild boar, and those pigs in the video, well there’s nothing wild about them. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that! So go ahead and start shooting every barnyard animal that strays off a farmers field and see where that gets ya! Grab a brain!

butcher
09-05-2018, 10:36 PM
I’m pretty sure I know where these pigs were filmed. Lots of folks have been in contact with the CO service about them and have been warned off shooting them. This includes me. I’m not positive about the legality but I do know that the local CO told me face to face it would be a bad idea.

180grainer
09-05-2018, 10:56 PM
Wouldn't hurt to knock on some doors but pigs getting loose is what gets you feral pigs. If you don't shoot the pigs you should report the incident and the farmer should be fined for not keeping that particular livestock contained due to the potential damage they can do to the environment.

Mulehahn
09-05-2018, 11:45 PM
I’m pretty sure I know where these pigs were filmed. Lots of folks have been in contact with the CO service about them and have been warned off shooting them. This includes me. I’m not positive about the legality but I do know that the local CO told me face to face it would be a bad idea.

Interesting. I am not doubting you, but I do wonder what you would be charged with. The official BC Invasive Species pamphlet regarding pigs clearly states:

"Feral pigs can be mistaken for domestic pigs as they look very similar. If they are not in captivity or are not otherwise under a person's control then they can be considered feral. If in doubt, check with local farmers to determine if they are indeed feral."

Now, it does say to check but if is pretty clear, if not under direct control or penned they are feral and as a result are fair game. If you can prove you are on Crown Land when the you shot the pig I would be very surprised to see the charges laid and stick. To those that doubt it can happen here look what Alberta and Saskatchewan are starting to see. Swine road kill is getting pretty common.

shortrange
09-05-2018, 11:49 PM
No I would not shoot a cow as I am aware of farmers leasing crown land for grazing rights.I have never heard of farmers having grazing rights for pigs, hat is the reason I am asking here.I don't think it is right that the farmer is allowing his pigs to get out and roam unrestricted on crown land, just ask any Texan about feral pigs.I agree it isn't right, but farm animals get past fences all the time. It isn't fair to take an animal that is loose from a nearby farm. If it is a real feral pig, blast away. You better be sure though....

kagia
09-06-2018, 03:56 AM

What was his reasoning???

boxhitch
09-06-2018, 04:46 AM
What was his reasoning???
X 2 ??
what is the rest of the story?

butthead
09-06-2018, 05:01 AM
those pigs in that photo seem awfully domesticated.
first wild pigs don't generally stand around for a photo opp.
watch some u tube wild bore hunting and they are more skid-dish than a white tail

butcher
09-06-2018, 06:47 AM
[QUOTE=kagia;2031864]What was his reasoning???[/QUOTE

I honestly can’t remember exactly. I wasn’t all that interested in shooting one anyway as they obviously belong with that property and convicted or not I don’t want the hassle of charges and angry land owners. You start shooting those pigs you’re going to have a confrontation on your hands.

Rieber
09-06-2018, 06:52 AM
The pigs obviously didn't evolve from dandelions so they have escaped from someones farm and are no longer under the farmers control. Now if that farmer can walk up his driveway or simply start calling for his pigs and they go running to him, then he can clearly show that he has control of his livestock. Before pulling the trigger on a pig, we, the hunters, need to be darn sure we and the pigs are on Crown land otherwise we're opining ourselves to a potentially ugly firearms related pig rustling charges. You remember how farmers dealt with cattle rustlers back in the day? Shoot a man's pig and you might be opening up your self to some backwoods justice if the farmer catches you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzae_SqbmDE

If at any time you hear dueling banjos while in the woods, slowly back away and get out of the area ASAP. Before pulling the trigger on a pig, take a moment to listen for banjos.

Jelvis
09-06-2018, 06:55 AM
-- Those pigs got more than a road hunter to watch for hittin em with his or her Jeep Eh? ---- at night? Cougar, wolf, wild dogs, coyote, bobcat, black bear on and on
Jel - bye bye piggy in a few nights -- look awful good for fryin up so bacon ala mode folks for a cougarrrrrrrr :evil:

Squamch
09-06-2018, 07:01 AM
First of all, there is a difference between feral pigs and domestic pigs! The regulations are not talking about domestic pigs. I lived in NZ and hunted wild boar, and those pigs in the video, well there’s nothing wild about them. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that! So go ahead and start shooting every barnyard animal that strays off a farmers field and see where that gets ya! Grab a brain!

No, there isn't. They are both sus scrofa. Zero difference apart from appearance, and domestically have been proven to start morphing into "wild" pigs very quickly upon becoming feral.
The whole concept of feral is a once domestic animal or population that has gone wild. Those pigs may be at an earlier point in the process, but it doesn't make them any less of a concern.

Wild one
09-06-2018, 07:27 AM
Starting to see why I hear negative stories about hunters from a lot of farmers in BC

Majority here seem to be looking for any reason to justify shooting these pigs with very limited info about the location.

Jelvis
09-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Squamch folks, sets us all straight on sus scrofa, the kid was mixed up a bit! These pigs want to go wild again whoa ho, bedder stay with farmer John in his lil barn?

Like thee X's eh? ---- Get hitched and then whaaaaa?

Jelly Bo Deli -- all my axes live in taxes

Jelvis
09-06-2018, 07:35 AM
Farmers choose who they let hunt elk, pigs and wad ever! I know people from Kamloops , thee Italian Stallion whose going to The Kootenay to hunt on his buddy's buddy's ranch, only him and his one buddy going to his ranch. Get's one every time, the rancher told em yesterday to come again, two big bulls and cows in his field eating his beefs grass
Jelly -- Freddy Pender grass -- > His buddy phoned, call he wanted for the Koots -- 2 bulls -- big in field - and stays at the ranch also for hospy tell ah tea?

Rieber
09-06-2018, 07:43 AM
I like how Steven said it: "Learn the rules, check your emotions.."

Wild one
09-06-2018, 08:09 AM
Farmers choose who they let hunt elk, pigs and wad ever! I know people from Kamloops , thee Italian Stallion whose going to The Kootenay to hunt on his buddy's buddy's ranch, only him and his one buddy going to his ranch. Get's one every time, the rancher told em yesterday to come again, two big bulls and cows in his field eating his beefs grass
Jelly -- Freddy Pender grass -- > His buddy phoned, call he wanted for the Koots -- 2 bulls -- big in field - and stays at the ranch also for hospy tell ah tea?

You are correct farmers allow and deny who they please. Many of the properties I hunt will no longer allow hunters outside of my group do to poor experiences with others. It does not effect myself when it comes to permission on properties I have permission on all ready but new places are getting tougher unless I have a reputation with someone they know

Ltbullken
09-06-2018, 09:09 AM
Starting to see why I hear negative stories about hunters from a lot of farmers in BC

Majority here seem to be looking for any reason to justify shooting these pigs with very limited info about the location.

Maybe some farmers can be a bit more responsible with their livestock instead of believing that all crown land is theirs to use as they wish...

KodiakHntr
09-06-2018, 11:01 AM

Sure you can, when they dig their way under the fence while you are at work....

As a landowner with hogs, that occasionally get out of a fence that has held hogs for years without ever having any escape, one thing I know: If you have a place where you have fed pigs and they slept, they WILL be back there every day. They are still under my control.

The other thing I know, as a landowner that has had assholes poach animals off my place and shoot in the direction of my home and shop, is that if you stop and shoot at one of my hogs that happens to be standing on the edge of my property beside a road, I WILL treat that as a hostile attack on my home and property.

The OP has stated that there is a sign that says "Private Property". Before you take a poke at a farm animal in proximity to signed land, you better make sure that it isn't a domestic animal. And at any rate, those are a domestic pig, obviously used to traffic and people.

Same thing as farmed bison. They get out all the time up here. The farmer has 30 days to get them back under control and onto his land. And if at any point they walk back onto his land and then walk back out, the clock resets on that 30 days.

That said.... catch them away from private property by a kilometer or so.... Light 'em up. Pigs will roam, and pigs away from obvious private land shouldn't be allowed to propagate.

howa1500
09-06-2018, 11:55 AM
I still fail to see what legal liability one would face shooting a pig on crown land? I'm not talking about what is the right way to go about things, but the actual law.

The definition of feral "in a wild state, especially after escape from captivity or domestication."

Therefore, these pigs having escaped captivity are defined as feral pigs. Being "feral" isn't a matter of calmness or friendliness, its a matter of their current state. There are many feral cats and dogs that are quite friendly, and even come when you call them, but they are still feral.

Therefore it should be legal to shoot those pigs on crown land.

Now as a good person, I would check with the local farmer if he's lost his pigs, but if there is no farm anywhere near, Daddy's coming home with Bacon!

VI Blacktails
09-06-2018, 12:14 PM
Was hunting near FSJ a few years ago.Came upon a dead domestic Buffalo with the front quarters and the back straps removed.It had broken out of its fence recently.Talked with a farmer next door and he said a FN had shot it with a bow on crown land.His friend had reported it to the CO but said because it was a Buffalo on crown land he could not do anything.Something is wrong with this country!!!!!!

KodiakHntr
09-06-2018, 01:06 PM
I still fail to see what legal liability one would face shooting a pig on crown land? I'm not talking about what is the right way to go about things, but the actual law.

The definition of feral "in a wild state, especially after escape from captivity or domestication."

Therefore, these pigs having escaped captivity are defined as feral pigs. Being "feral" isn't a matter of calmness or friendliness, its a matter of their current state. There are many feral cats and dogs that are quite friendly, and even come when you call them, but they are still feral.

Therefore it should be legal to shoot those pigs on crown land.

Now as a good person, I would check with the local farmer if he's lost his pigs, but if there is no farm anywhere near, Daddy's coming home with Bacon!

If you are going to give a definition, better to use the whole definition...

Definition of feral 1 : of, relating to, or suggestive of a wild beast

feral teeth

feral instincts

2 a : not domesticated or cultivated : wild (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wild)

feral animals

b : having escaped from domestication and become wild

feral cats

The bold is mine, not Websters.....

Skoko
10-04-2018, 11:01 AM
https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hra/invasive-species/publications/speciesalerts/feral_pig_alert.pdf

lip_ripper00
10-04-2018, 11:10 AM
/\ /\ /\ big deal certain groups are going to claim them too.......