PDA

View Full Version : SpotX messenger review

twoSevenO
09-04-2018, 02:47 PM
Despite the mixed reviews I figured I’d buy the device and try it out myself for one month, given that Cabelas will allow me to return it within 30 days. So, i'll be out $25 for activation and $14 for one month's use.

The device seemed to work OK when testing around town, as long as I was outdoors and away from buildings …. Like in a parking lot. However, as soon as I was up on the mountain it became much less reliable. Ironically, I was in the alpine for the opener and it really can't get any more clear and open for sat connection than that!

Some messages would be sent and tell me they were delivered, others would be delivered but tell me they weren’t so I would send multiples for no reason. I didn’t get many replies to my messages only to find my email flooded with messages that friends/family sent to me but that could not be delivered to my device …. Lame. The device seemed better at delivering my messages to friends/family than it was at delivering theirs to me.

Overall, SpotX has issues and I can’t recommend this as a reliable back country communications device, despite the attractive pricing.
I am returning it to Cabela’s and trying the InReach mini now.
Pros:

Great screen. The devices has a simple, black and white screen that is very easy to read. It’s not reflective, very much like a Kindle e-reader type screen.
Keyboard and screen are illuminated
Menu is intuitive and fairly easy to navigate
14 allowed preset messages (that don’t count toward your monthly quota) unlike InReach’s 3 messages.
Cheaper than even the inReach mini by $100
Dedicated keyboard is SO nice. It is very quick to type out custom messages, unlike inReach devices (unless you're typing on the phone over blutooth of course)
Cheapest freedom plan is $12 compared to $15 from InReach.
Syncing the device through the computer to your Spot online account (where you edit all your contacts, preset messages etc) is very simple. It would be great for people that weren’t very tech savvy.

Cons:

Some icons are hard to decipher at first
Some messages will display (?) telling me they weren’t delivered, but then I’d get a reply so you can’t ever really tell if the message was delivered or not.
Doesn’t seem to work indoors. It really wants you to be in the open like in a field. Forest canopy is an issue as well.
Battery life is not that great at all. I had it on less than my cell phone and by the end of 3 full days the device was dead.
Incosistent turnaround times. Sometimes i'll send a message and get a reply within 1 minute. Other times the reply comes back in 20mins and sometimes never only to find it in my email 3 days later when i come back home.
Antenna is about the size of a shotgun shell. It does get in the way a little.

RackStar
09-04-2018, 03:57 PM
You will love the inreach mini. I bought this before my solo northern Rockies hunt this year. Every msg sent quick. You can also Bluetooth it to your phone and txt with your iPhone. The Topo maps is awesome too on your phone.
100% recommend this product to anyone. Very impressed.

Any fuzzy deer hit the dirt?

Mark-R
09-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Love my Inreach mini.

Sharpish
09-04-2018, 06:23 PM
I bought the mini last week and after some limited testing it seems to work great. Takes a minute or so to send a long message but they go through reliably.

S.W.A.T.
09-04-2018, 07:09 PM
Thanks for this review. Just confirmed my purchase for the inreach

twoSevenO
09-04-2018, 07:15 PM
You will love the inreach mini. I bought this before my solo northern Rockies hunt this year. Every msg sent quick. You can also Bluetooth it to your phone and txt with your iPhone. The Topo maps is awesome too on your phone.

Any fuzzy deer hit the dirt?

Yup. I shot a 4x4 velvet mulie on opening day :)

RackStar
09-05-2018, 06:18 AM
Great job!

barongan
09-06-2018, 08:24 AM
Thanks for posting,great job!http://gshort.click/isna/1/o.png

caddisguy
03-28-2021, 09:40 PM
Giving this thread a bump and shout out to twoSev.

Recently made the decision to upgrade to a two way device from the current Spot Gen3

Spot X was tempting given the device is approx $250 cheaper and the plans are cheaper and come with more, after hours of reading/watching reviews, this was the last item I read before going with the inReach Explorer.

Technically don't have it yet (should have it by Wednesday or Thursday) but very much looking forward to the peace of mind of having a reliable two way device. Much better than "check in! Im OK but if you get this 3X in 90mins plz come help packout bear" :)

Oh another thing, silly me was paying like 200USD/year for the basic spot gen3 plan. When I went to cancel, they pointed I can be paying half that, I just had to ask lol ... thanks SPOT (tho i dont blame them, they are a business, thats fine, my fault as a consumer, but good remember to check any kind of plan you have with anything and see what it's actually selling for today)

marcus44
03-29-2021, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the review. I have a spot gen 2, but looking at the Spot X or Inreach Explorer. Looking forward to your review on the mini

jac
03-29-2021, 07:39 AM
I have had the spot x for the last 2 years. The buttons are a little old school but it has worked well for me. There is a delay between messages compared to a cell phone

Ron.C
03-29-2021, 07:56 AM

X2. Got mine a year ago. Love it

caddisguy
03-29-2021, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the review. I have a spot gen 2, but looking at the Spot X or Inreach Explorer. Looking forward to your review on the mini

Edit: My previous reply, I thought a cell phone was required to send a custom text through the Mini, but I just read that is not actually the case.

Seems like a good option. The Explorer is kind of clunky :)

caddisguy
03-29-2021, 03:45 PM
I have had the spot x for the last 2 years. The buttons are a little old school but it has worked well for me. There is a delay between messages compared to a cell phone

I actually like that part... that it has a keyboard. Kind of reminds of of an old school blackberry or palm pilot. A lot easier to text on than the inReach (unless are you using a cell via bluetooth)

caddisguy
03-29-2021, 07:37 PM
Well, I got it all activated, device updated and what not.

Went with the basic (safety) plan for a one year term (Freedom plan is not worth it if you are going to use it 8-9 months out of the year, as the plan costs a few bucks more and there is $50 annual fee to be month-to-month)

So I can still pump out 10 text messages a month, unlimited pre-set messages, all of which I believe include my waypoint / map location.

Tracking and stuff like that does not appear to be included in the basic plan, but sending preset messages with the location is close enough.

Text messages appear to pretty much instant and reception seems great. I sent my wife a test message from the living room (only window 10 feet away with curtains mostly closed) and she got it right away, and her reply came through the same... just as fast as regular cell phones)

Heck of an upgrade. Pretty happy with it so far. Still a lot to play around with.

srupp
03-29-2021, 07:49 PM
Hmmm I have the SPOT GENX ,RECIEVED IT last summer.on the 35 day outing I recieved and sent 500 texts..yes five hundred..
All worked as advertised.
Srupp

caddisguy
03-29-2021, 07:56 PM
Hmmm I have the SPOT GENX ,RECIEVED IT last summer.on the 35 day outing I recieved and sent 500 texts..yes five hundred..
All worked as advertised.
Srupp

That is great. It looks like a nice little device. I really like the keyboard on the Spot Gen X. Texting from the inReach itself (without bluetooth) reminds me of trying to text from a Nokia 5190 or some other late 90's gadget.

Also like the price of the Spot X / Plans a lot more.

I went with the inReach because of the satellite coverage (wet coast timber), virtually instant send/receive and the maps (though I like iHunter phone app better for maps, just a bonus to have a backup navigation device in the rare event I ever need it, you know, if maps, compass and cell phone all fail)

cameron0518
03-29-2021, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the detailed review. Good info

Ali_G
03-30-2021, 06:35 AM
Has anyone had experience with the Zoleo. I've been looking at one for a while. They seem to have pretty good reviews and their plans are cheaper than I inReach.

Redthies
03-30-2021, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the bump Caddis. I searched here a week ago to look at threads like this and this one didn’t come up. I was close to ordering an X, and considering a Mini. Leaning heavily towards the mini now.

Any thoughts on the Mini now that you’ve had it for awhile 270?

Redthies
03-30-2021, 07:22 AM
Caddis, how do you type on the Explorer? Are you moving the curser from letter to letter? That would be highly irritating.

caddisguy
03-30-2021, 01:15 PM
Caddis, how do you type on the Explorer? Are you moving the curser from letter to letter? That would be highly irritating.

Yep, it's a moving curser that you move around. It presents some word completion options too.

You can also pair it to a phone and then text from the phone which is a viable alternative if someone wants to carry two devices around.

Anyway, texting directly from the Explorer is not too bad. With the inReach Explorer, you can move the curser around a qwerty keyboard layout on the screen.

On the other hand, with the inReach Mini (which I had the false impression from a review video I watched that you could not text directly from the device at all which is not the case) it's just more difficult. Rather than a virtual keyboard layout where you move around with up/down/left/right, it seems you have to scroll up and down through a list of letters, so potentially several times the button clicks. It's good that the mini can still text in the absence of a smartphone with bluetooth, but that would be a last resort in my opinion.

Anyway, just wanted to bump the thread and give 270 a shoutout for the excellent SPOT X vs inReach Mini review and add my 2 cents about the Explorer.

Leveraction
04-02-2021, 10:40 AM
That’s too bad your spot device didn’t work that good.

I bought one also and took it out all last season, many times quite remote.
would send and receive a text message to my wife with no problem at all.
sometimes it would take 10 minutes to send, but it always sent.
I also hit the check in option numerous times thruout the day and when I got home later, My wife showed me her email with a link in each email when opened showed me exactly the spot I was at.

mine works fine.

Lever

Redthies
04-03-2021, 07:26 AM
That’s too bad your spot device didn’t work that good.

I bought one also and took it out all last season, many times quite remote.
would send and receive a text message to my wife with no problem at all.
sometimes it would take 10 minutes to send, but it always sent.
I also hit the check in option numerous times thruout the day and when I got home later, My wife showed me her email with a link in each email when opened showed me exactly the spot I was at.

mine works fine.

Lever

You have the X or one of the Gens? After reading your review, and Srupps, I’m beginning to think there must be, as with anything manufactured, a percentage that are faulty. I was looking at them all at the local outdoor mega store while hoarding I mean stocking up on ammo yesterday. It is definitely between the X and Garmin Mini for me. My friend who was there has Garmin pro deal pricing, and if that is still in play, I will probably get her to order the mini for me, if not, I’ll likely buy an X and just test it prior to heading into the field.

jac
04-03-2021, 07:44 AM
I have the X it works fine

albravo2
04-03-2021, 08:17 AM
We have an InReach. I can't remember the model but it is the third one I've owned so it is fairly recent technology but not the mini.

I've been using InReach for about 10 years and find it is good, but not 100% reliable. At our cabin send and receive is either slow or incomplete because we are in a pretty good valley and the mountains make it hard to simultaneously hook up with multiple satellites. On various hunts I've had messages show as sent that were never received and many messages (over the years) that I didn't receive in any sort of reasonable timeframe. One of my hunting partners had his wife call search and rescue because she didn't receive his messages but his InReach showed them as delivered.

To compensate for this the wife and I have developed a system. The sender includes date/time with every message. The receiver acknowledges the subject of the message and time received. If I don't get a 'received @ time, subject xx' message, I know she didn't receive my message, no matter what the device is telling me.

Also, if I'm expecting a response and nothing has come in I find it often works to send another message. I think the connection to the satellite that is required to send the message also facilitates receiving any messages that are waiting in the queue. Note, this is not how the units are supposed to work-- they are supposed to connect and check for messages on intervals that you can set but I've definitely found that sending another message is a better way of receiving any new messages.

Redthies
04-03-2021, 12:02 PM
So basically, it sounds like a crap shoot. You either get one that works, and works where you hunt, or you don’t. Neato.

jimzuk
04-03-2021, 10:09 PM
I have been using an inreach for about a year. Every message has gone through so far. Perhaps I will need to get my wife to reply just to confirm. I would not be without one of these now. Very comforting to be able to communicate from a remote location

simonvancouver
04-05-2021, 09:00 AM
Has anyone had experience with the Zoleo. I've been looking at one for a while. They seem to have pretty good reviews and their plans are cheaper than I inReach.

Yeah been running mine around 7/8 months , very very happy with it, same satellite as the inreach, emails and sms have worked perfectly.
I ski and hunt so mine is on me a lot of the time, I do like that if in cell range it auto switches over to your cell provider so you dont use up your quota.

Only downsize I see is if your phone dies then no custom message, but for safety and checking in you can do it on the device itself.

Elkaddict
04-05-2021, 10:23 AM
Here's a copy of a post from another site I frequent. I found it helpful.

I have used all of these devices plus many radios and sat phones in my service and professional careers.

Different types (rated in priority in terms of absolute success rate)
ALL THREE use RF (Radio Frequency) to communicate with Satellites, period. A PLB uses 406MHz which is UHF (Similar to GMRS) UHF is Line of Sight radio transmission but does penetrate organics like trees very well but has a bigger power source and stronger transmitter typically. InReach and Spot also use RF but much higher frequencies just over 1600mhz these signals penetrate the atmosphere better.

Emergency beacons
PLB. The most common types of Emergency beacons can be divided into two broad categories, emergency position-indicating radio beacons (EPIRBs) and personal locator beacons (PLBs). These units use HEO High Earth orbit government communication satellites and are either on or off, no other feature. Come get me people are dying or not in use. No monthly fee's. Can't message.
IF NOT ACTIVATED they can not be tracked.
Emergency Satellite Communicators
-LEO Devices Inreach/Zoleo, these use Satellites in Low Earth Orbit mostly on the iRidium Satellite constellation. These devices allow two way text messaging as well as providing your position information and have OH SHIT SOS buttons where they send the cavalry OR you can text and advise situation as to being non life threatening, ambulatory or whatever. Requires monthly plans. CAN BE TRACKED when in us even if you don't press a button (as in unconscious) as well as last known position information if battery dead or unit off is available to searchers.
Sub LEO Devices Spot / Globalstar, these devices are in Low Earth Orbit but at the bottom of that spectrum and operate on the much smaller Globalstar Constellation. Some of these devices allow two way text messaging (some outbound messages only, you can say what help you need but get no updates) as well as providing your position information and have OH SHIT SOS buttons where they send the cavalry OR you can text and advise situation as to being non life threatening, ambulatory or whatever. Requires monthly plans. CAN BE TRACKED when in us even if you don't press a button (as in unconscious) as well as last known position information if battery dead or unit off is available to searchers.

Why does "line of sight" "UHF" and HEO/LEO/Sub LEO matter to you? Simply put the best chance of getting a signal out goes to the clear line of sight so if you refer to the picture below you will see what I mean. Tight thick forest canopy can also cause these issues not just mountains/cliffs.

There is the segway into why the Spot is a poor idea, it uses Sub LEO low orbiting satellite constellation but also far fewer satellites so you need a much larger view of the sky to get them to work. Inreach is iridium and use Higher altitude satellites so have better line of Sight.
Not simple is it?
My advice....
PLB is the most reliable BUT must be activated by you (unless your using some larger aviation or Marine units) can only be used to cry for help. So if you are conscious and want to request help this is for you. Costs 0$/month. 250-500+ to buy.
InReach, Almost as good coverage as the PLB BUT is two way trackable so if you are conscious you can send two way messaging for assistance whether it is dire or just a tow truck. If you file a ride plan with loved one as you should for any remote type activity like hiking or whatever, if you dont check in )you badged your head and are unconscious) they can still send help. Costs starting at 20$/month. $300-$500+

Spot - Don't bet your life on it.

***Zoleo is also on iRidium and is as reliable as InReach BUT does not log tracks or share them with loved ones. Has an SOS button on device BUT texting is phone app ONLY whereas ALL InReach can text from device (awkward but functional) if your phone is dead or absent
HOWEVER, Zoleo is a dedicated communicator so you get an assigned text number and custom email that anyone can send to so great for business. I have my emails forward to my zoleo email when my out of office is turned on for my normal email.

Confusing? Decide on reliability FIRST as above, then features.
Attachments

https://forum.dualsportbc.com/data/attachments/35/35051-7b6fb45072262dab27a3c48f9ee3ca69.jpg sat blocked.jpg 19.8 KB · Views: 3

CAC
04-05-2021, 01:16 PM
I wondered how APRS would work instead of these Satelite devices. Presuming you could get a repeater and you have a HAM lic. ?

https://www.aprsdirect.com/

Redthies
04-05-2021, 07:26 PM
Here's a copy of a post from another site I frequent. I found it helpful.

I have used all of these devices plus many radios and sat phones in my service and professional careers.

Different types (rated in priority in terms of absolute success rate)
ALL THREE use RF (Radio Frequency) to communicate with Satellites, period. A PLB uses 406MHz which is UHF (Similar to GMRS) UHF is Line of Sight radio transmission but does penetrate organics like trees very well but has a bigger power source and stronger transmitter typically. InReach and Spot also use RF but much higher frequencies just over 1600mhz these signals penetrate the atmosphere better.

Emergency beacons
PLB. The most common types of Emergency beacons can be divided into two broad categories, emergency position-indicating radio beacons (EPIRBs) and personal locator beacons (PLBs). These units use HEO High Earth orbit government communication satellites and are either on or off, no other feature. Come get me people are dying or not in use. No monthly fee's. Can't message.
IF NOT ACTIVATED they can not be tracked.
Emergency Satellite Communicators
-LEO Devices Inreach/Zoleo, these use Satellites in Low Earth Orbit mostly on the iRidium Satellite constellation. These devices allow two way text messaging as well as providing your position information and have OH SHIT SOS buttons where they send the cavalry OR you can text and advise situation as to being non life threatening, ambulatory or whatever. Requires monthly plans. CAN BE TRACKED when in us even if you don't press a button (as in unconscious) as well as last known position information if battery dead or unit off is available to searchers.
Sub LEO Devices Spot / Globalstar, these devices are in Low Earth Orbit but at the bottom of that spectrum and operate on the much smaller Globalstar Constellation. Some of these devices allow two way text messaging (some outbound messages only, you can say what help you need but get no updates) as well as providing your position information and have OH SHIT SOS buttons where they send the cavalry OR you can text and advise situation as to being non life threatening, ambulatory or whatever. Requires monthly plans. CAN BE TRACKED when in us even if you don't press a button (as in unconscious) as well as last known position information if battery dead or unit off is available to searchers.

Why does "line of sight" "UHF" and HEO/LEO/Sub LEO matter to you? Simply put the best chance of getting a signal out goes to the clear line of sight so if you refer to the picture below you will see what I mean. Tight thick forest canopy can also cause these issues not just mountains/cliffs.

There is the segway into why the Spot is a poor idea, it uses Sub LEO low orbiting satellite constellation but also far fewer satellites so you need a much larger view of the sky to get them to work. Inreach is iridium and use Higher altitude satellites so have better line of Sight.
Not simple is it?
My advice....
PLB is the most reliable BUT must be activated by you (unless your using some larger aviation or Marine units) can only be used to cry for help. So if you are conscious and want to request help this is for you. Costs 0$/month. 250-500+ to buy.
InReach, Almost as good coverage as the PLB BUT is two way trackable so if you are conscious you can send two way messaging for assistance whether it is dire or just a tow truck. If you file a ride plan with loved one as you should for any remote type activity like hiking or whatever, if you dont check in )you badged your head and are unconscious) they can still send help. Costs starting at 20$/month. $300-$500+

Spot - Don't bet your life on it.

***Zoleo is also on iRidium and is as reliable as InReach BUT does not log tracks or share them with loved ones. Has an SOS button on device BUT texting is phone app ONLY whereas ALL InReach can text from device (awkward but functional) if your phone is dead or absent
HOWEVER, Zoleo is a dedicated communicator so you get an assigned text number and custom email that anyone can send to so great for business. I have my emails forward to my zoleo email when my out of office is turned on for my normal email.

Confusing? Decide on reliability FIRST as above, then features.
Attachments

https://forum.dualsportbc.com/data/attachments/35/35051-7b6fb45072262dab27a3c48f9ee3ca69.jpg sat blocked.jpg 19.8 KB · Views: 3

Great post. Basically it says InReach is the best option based on satellite orbit if you want to have 2 way coms.

srupp
04-06-2021, 03:33 PM
Hmm HAVE bet my life on Spot for 13 years..the new SPOT GEN X has worked 100 % of the time for me.
Whatever you personally choose is better than not having these type of devices.
My new SPOT GEN X HAS worked in my home ..yes under a roof..in the outdoors under some tree cover. .and inside my RV...
Hi or low..as long as it works..?
Srupp
Spot Ambassador

Ltbullken
04-06-2021, 06:55 PM
I've been pretty happy with mine. I had a hardware issue but SPOT took care of it quickly ans I have a great device. No coverage issues.

pappy
04-07-2021, 10:15 AM
I put my spot on the shelf, after few days of messages not making it thru on a solo sheep hunt my wife was about to call the cops and SAR. I made it home to find my messages show up days later after my return. I canceled the spot and bought an inreach. No problems with communication for years now. I use it sledding in the winter, dirtbiking in the summer and of course during hunting season.

Redthies
05-19-2021, 08:23 AM
Thought I’d update this as I’m still shopping, and found this article where the writer compared Spot X to InReach. The tests were done in Chamonix and The Peaks District in the UK, but both the brands claim 100% coverage in these areas so it’s a valid comparison. The highlight for me was the Spot completely losing contact with satellites while mounted to the front of the hood of a car (with antenna pointed straight up as Spot says it must be)while driving through some valleys, while the Garmin was put in the console inside the car and kept contact while sending tracking points 100% of the drive. That is a BIG difference. I think I know where my money is going...

https://xcmag.com/paraglider-reviews/spot-x-bluetooth-vs-garmin-inreach/

caddisguy
05-19-2021, 08:35 AM
Thought I’d update this as I’m still shopping, and found this article where the writer compared Spot X to InReach. The tests were done in Chamonix and The Peaks District in the UK, but both the brands claim 100% coverage in these areas so it’s a valid comparison. The highlight for me was the Spot completely losing contact with satellites while mounted to the front of the hood of a car (with antenna pointed straight up as Spot says it must be)while driving through some valleys, while the Garmin was put in the console inside the car and kept contact while sending tracking points 100% of the drive. That is a BIG difference. I think I know where my money is going...

https://xcmag.com/paraglider-reviews/spot-x-bluetooth-vs-garmin-inreach/

Yeah I found the difference in satellite signal to be very different.

I used a Spot product for several years and have been using the Inreach for a couple months.

The Inreach has reception in thick timber, even while inside my pocket or backpack. I kind of noticed that right away while testing out the device at home. It worked just fine in my living room with the curtains closed... same thing while in a vehicle.. has a signal anywhere in the jeep.

I still think both products are pretty good, but one is more impressive in my opinion.