PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer bag limit

longwalk
09-04-2018, 06:07 AM
Question regarding the Mule deer bag limit. If you hold an LEH for a doe. Are you still allowed to take your one buck limit as well as the doe?

Luka77
09-04-2018, 06:22 AM
Depends on region you are hunting. In region 3 you can have 1 mule deer, if you have LEH for doe and you find one, you can't get buck in that region, but you can get buck in different region. Region 2 still has limit of 2 bucks.

sako79
09-04-2018, 06:24 AM
Question regarding the Mule deer bag limit. If you hold an LEH for a doe. Are you still allowed to take your one buck limit as well as the doe?

What region is ur doe draw in

longwalk
09-04-2018, 06:26 AM
My 15 year old daughter took a region 3 buck in the youth season and also has a LEH for region 8. The Regs don’t make any mention of this scenario.

RackStar
09-04-2018, 06:32 AM
You can take 1 mule deer buck in the province (exempt reg 2) and if you drew a doe tag , you can fill that too.

Seth
09-04-2018, 06:37 AM
You can take 1 mule deer buck in the province (exempt reg 2) and if you drew a doe tag , you can fill that too.

Correct, as long as the doe isn’t taken in the same region as the aggregate for mule deer in each region is still 1.

Everything you need to know is in the very first paragraph under each Regions section titled Bag limits: deer.

Cheers and good luck

longwalk
09-04-2018, 07:23 AM

When I read that section in the regs it only says the bag limit for mule deer is 1. It doesn’t say the bag limit is different if the hunter holds a LEH.

j270wsm
09-04-2018, 07:37 AM
1) The Provincial bag limit for deer is 3 (not including Haida Gwaii/QCI). Hunters may not harvest more than 3 deer in one licence year,but only 1 may be a mule (black-tailed) deer buck from Regions 3,4, 5, 6, 7A, 7B and 8 combined.
Hunters may harvest 3 white-taileddeer (if they purchase 3 white-taileddeer licenses), or 3 mule (black-tailed) deer (if they purchase 3mule (black-tailed) deer licenses), ora combination of white-tailed andmule (black-tailed) deer (1+2 or2+1) providing they do not exceedthe provincial limit of 3 and notmore than 1 mule (black-tailed)deer buck from Regions 3, 4, 5,6 ,7A, 7B and 8 combined. Thereason hunters may purchase morethan 3 deer licenses in total is toprovide hunters with the flexibility

The following table outlines the provincial and regional bag limits for deer.Deer bag limits on Haida Gwaii are not covered in this article, as they ara a unique case. Hunters cannot harvest deer in excess of the sex, species, regional, or provincial bag limit. * Some exceptions apply **Table does not include deer bag limit for Haida Gwaii/QCI

there was a table/chart that outlines regional and provincial bag limits but I couldn't get it to open in this post. Page 17 in the regs

Jelvis
09-04-2018, 07:39 AM
Should be clarified in the reading if it needs some more, cuz then If you can draw an LEH doe tag muley and still hunt thee BC regulations for a buck muley then more woody apply for the draw, more income and better confidence Also a Blacktail deer and a mule deer are different and shood b pointed out to people, No mule deer on thee Islands only Blacktail.
-- > I know when we first had thee LEH system used here in BC regs we cood go for a doe leh and still take a buck that was in regular season. NOW!?
--- doe is called antlerless. and lots of added a's b's and to reg region mu areas in the reg mags.
Jel -- I woody clear it up in reading for next Leh draw, good point if it is correct? ----a few words - like a small read on it .. an Oh Fish L One Hahaha

j270wsm
09-04-2018, 07:58 AM
When I read that section in the regs it only says the bag limit for mule deer is 1. It doesn’t say the bag limit is different if the hunter holds a LEH.

The answer is in the regs, sometimes it can be a little confusing or hard to find.

If you look at the chart/table on page 17 in the regs it shows that you can harvest 1 mule deer buck in region 3 and 1 mule deer buck or doe in region 8. since your daughter already shot a buck in region 3 your only allowed to harvest a doe in regions 5, 6, 7A, 7B and 8.....

Jelvis
09-04-2018, 08:11 AM
270 your saying you can harvest 1 mule deer buck in reg 3 and 1 mule deer in reg 8, must be a mis print?
I think yer allowed one mule buck only in all of BC
If it's a misprint by you then yah shood say ------------ OR not and?
Jelly -- can get very into it, down to just one word changed in some cases --

j270wsm
09-04-2018, 08:27 AM
Read it again jelvis!

Your only allowed one " buck " in regions 3-8. If I hold a region 8 mulie doe leh I am allowed to harvest a doe because there is a regional limit for mulie does. Region 4 is the only region that doesn't not have mulie doe tags/leh.

It's supposed to read " one buck in region 3 through region 8 ". I didn't think putting " regions 3-8 with the hyphen would cause confusion. I figured making the word " region " plural was going to avoid confusion.

Fluidp
09-04-2018, 08:38 AM
There is a "Exception". for region 2, I usually take a Mule deer in reg 5, and this year im also going to reg. 2-5. On page 17 reg 2-5 and 2-12 the bag limit is 1. So.... If i take my 1 deer in reg 5, can I get a second deer in reg 2-5???
I know the provincial limit is 3, so does that apply to you when hunting those two regions only??

j270wsm
09-04-2018, 08:56 AM
The chart/table on page 17 explains it pretty clearly.

If your still having trouble call a CO. Also ask about the exception for region 2

longwalk
09-04-2018, 09:01 AM
The chart/table on page 17 explains it pretty clearly.

If your still having trouble call a CO. Also ask about the exception for region 2

After re reading it, you are correct. I did email the C/O Service just to be sure, but I’m reading the same way you are. Had this conversation with some bow hunters in camp on Sunday and they were of the opinion that my daughter wouldn’t be able to fill the doe draw.

moosecamp
09-04-2018, 09:01 AM
Read it again jelvis!

Your only allowed one " buck " in regions 3-8. If I hold a region 8 mulie doe leh I am allowed to harvest a doe because there is a regional limit for mulie does. Region 4 is the only region that doesn't not have mulie doe tags/leh.

You need to read the regs again. The only regions you are allowed two mule deer is region 5, 1 buck 1 doe under leh. Region 6 Is 1 buck and 1 doe under bow season. Not including Queen Charlottes. Every other area the regional bag limit for mule deer is one.

sako79
09-04-2018, 09:33 AM
Regulations are pretty black and white to me on deer bag limits. Remember you cannot go over seasonal bag limits Regional bag limits and provincial bag limits they all go hand-in-hand and you must obey them.

If you shoot a buck and region 3 and have a doe leh you canot cut ur doe tag. Your done muledeer hunting in region 3. But the original poster daughter has a l e h don't draw in Region 8 she can no longer shoot a f****** Region 8 but she can tag out her doe

j270wsm
09-04-2018, 01:45 PM
You need to read the regs again. The only regions you are allowed two mule deer is region 5, 1 buck 1 doe under leh. Region 6 Is 1 buck and 1 doe under bow season. Not including Queen Charlottes. Every other area the regional bag limit for mule deer is one.

I never said you were allowed to take 2 bucks!
Pretty sure i said your allowed 1 buck in regions 3-8.

hoochie
09-04-2018, 02:47 PM
The little chart seems easier to understand than the words. Bucks/Antlerless/total/ Pg 17

Jelvis
09-04-2018, 03:03 PM
Antlerless? A guy or gal sees a nice lil muley antlerless standing there begging to be taken home and the hunter use's his or her Bino's sees no bone so not home alone.
--> The hunter goes up a hundred yards on the slope with twigs and brush and finds the deer has knobs on it's tiny head? Layin there with a 270 in the shoulder?
Deader then a door nail.
Jel -- This is a tricky question - think b4 responding according to what the regs require? Antlerless with knobs oh oh ? What now? A knobby doe? With whaaaaa?

boxhitch
09-04-2018, 03:54 PM
Jel, you need the definition of a knob .....and then of an antler or bony protuberance

Jelvis
09-04-2018, 03:57 PM
Yah on an antlerless mule buck, the knobs must be still covered with hair, the bone, the antler has not broke thru the skin.
Jel -- no antler broke thru the skin -- then it's antlerless -- if you see two inch thin spikes then different story -- has antlers

Islander30
09-04-2018, 07:03 PM
It doesn't make sense if you ask me. I fully understand the new rule of 1 mule deer "buck" province wide(except for blacktails in region 1&2) and in the chart on page 17 it says 1 mule deer "buck" and 1 mule deer "antlerless"( except for region 4) I assumed that was to allow for LEH, which made sense. However when you read the specifics, in for instance Region 3 under "Deer" it says you are only allowed 1 mule deer period(doesn't say buck) ! ....but then if you look in the LEH synopsis and you read the sentence at the bottom of the Region 3 antlerless oppurtunties, it clearly says the bag limit for mule deer in Region 3 is TWO !!! I don't get it ? Also in the specific section paragraph about deer under Region 3 in the regulations it is not in green where it says the bag limit for mule deer is one...if it's not in green then I thought it wasn't "new"...so if that is accurate why is it not in green ? if it's correct, its definataly "new" and not only that, its also in contradiction with the LEH synopsis ???

Jelvis
09-04-2018, 07:17 PM
----Islander30 folks, picking up some mixed up reading in the BC Regs? What do yah stink? I mean think?
Confusing at the least?
Jel -- I-30 picking up some contrasting info?

bownut
09-04-2018, 07:29 PM
How about no Doe Season, that should take care of things, after all the Mulies are on the decline and GoatGuy is pushing for studies as we speak.

The fastest way to knock down a population is to put the Smackdown on the females. That's how the they take care of CWD in the hot zones.

Can't wait for Fisher Dudes Data, it's been so long.

Jelvis
09-04-2018, 07:32 PM
No doe season or no antlerless season bownut? Two different things yet kinda the samey?
Jelly -- Mixed up in the regz? Whad if? their were mega doe but no Stud mule bucks to jump on them?

Islander30
09-04-2018, 07:39 PM
How about no Doe Season, that should take care of things, after all the Mulies are on the decline and GoatGuy is pushing for studies as we speak.

The fastest way to knock down a population is to put the Smackdown on the females. That's how the they take care of CWD in the hot zones.

How about not trying to de-rail the thread ?

mastercaster
09-04-2018, 07:41 PM

Except when they're whitetails. Any time the population of WT does is down they always twin when going into estrus. Have even seen triplets before. Plus WT fawns born early in the season can also be bred that same fall.

Islander30
09-04-2018, 07:46 PM
It doesn't make sense if you ask me. I fully understand the new rule of 1 mule deer "buck" province wide(except for blacktails in region 1&2) and in the chart on page 17 it says 1 mule deer "buck" and 1 mule deer "antlerless"( except for region 4) I assumed that was to allow for LEH, which made sense. However when you read the specifics, in for instance Region 3 under "Deer" it says you are only allowed 1 mule deer period(doesn't say buck) ! ....but then if you look in the LEH synopsis and you read the sentence at the bottom of the Region 3 antlerless oppurtunties, it clearly says the bag limit for mule deer in Region 3 is TWO !!! I don't get it ? Also in the specific section paragraph about deer under Region 3 in the regulations it is not in green where it says the bag limit for mule deer is one...if it's not in green then I thought it wasn't "new"...so if that is accurate why is it not in green ? if it's correct, its definataly "new" and not only that, its also in contradiction with the LEH synopsis ???

So back to the subject of the thread, does anyone else not think there is a descrperency between the LEH , the chart on page 17 and the individual paragraphs on "Deer" in each section ?

Jelvis
09-04-2018, 08:03 PM
Let's help the Ministry by us on hbc with members finding these confusing reads in the regs and leh aps, and get these cleared up!
-- No ones perfect -- I know it's hard to be humble when your so perfect in every way but Eh! --
Jel -- Helping clear the Muddy Waters -- now it's as clear as mud? -- we can make the regs easy to understand with you contributing.
So what's Islanders answer? If, a big IF yah know cuz yah need to be a lawyer to understand the muley regs?

g2mike
09-04-2018, 08:14 PM
It is my understanding that you can take ONE Mule buck total in regions 3-8. If you have a LEH antlerless, you can fill your LEH antlerless tag, however that deer must be from a different region than your buck. You can then take ONE WT deer (buck or anterless) from any region including the one you took your mule buck from.

Jelvis
09-04-2018, 08:19 PM
A C.O. woody have to go to college just to know how to interpret the BC Hunting Synopsis whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa??????

Jelvis -- A course for four years in university to understand all the questions people are going to ask them? And don't underestimate the power of stoopid people when gathered in large crowds Hahahahaha.

j270wsm
09-04-2018, 10:30 PM

The chart/table on page 17 shows the region 3 mule deer limit for bucks as 1, anterless as 1 and the total as 1 which is green meaning it's a new change. Page 42 in he regs also says that there is a reduction in totals for mule deer. Is there a possibility the leh synopsis has a printing error? Or maybe they decided to reduce the total number for reg 3 after the leh synopsis had been printed?

sako79
09-04-2018, 10:41 PM
Why is there so much confusion page 17 of the rigs are pretty black and white you can't go over your seasonal bag limits Regional bag limits or provincial bag limits.

Islander30
09-04-2018, 11:05 PM
The chart/table on page 17 shows the region 3 mule deer limit for bucks as 1, anterless as 1 and the total as 1 which is green meaning it's a new change. Page 42 in he regs also says that there is a reduction in totals for mule deer. Is there a possibility the leh synopsis has a printing error? Or maybe they decided to reduce the total number for reg 3 after the leh synopsis had been printed?

Ya I see what your saying, it must be the LEH synopsis that's wrong.

Islander30
09-04-2018, 11:14 PM
Why is there so much confusion page 17 of the rigs are pretty black and white you can't go over your seasonal bag limits Regional bag limits or provincial bag limits.

I was confused because the LEH synopsis says the bag limit for Region 3 is TWO mule deer and the Hunting & Trapping synopsis says its ONE....that is definataly confusing ! However like j270wsm pointed out it must be either a mistake with the LEH synopsis or there was a last minute change before the regs came out. The LEH synopsis clearly contradicts the Hunting & Trapping regulations synopsis, so one of them is correct and one of them is incorrect...but what I didn't notice at first as j270 pointed out the "1" in the total column on page 17 for Region 3 is indeed green, so that would suggest it's not a mistake and its probably the LEH synopsis that's wrong.

hickman
09-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Combined Mule Deer bag limit region 3 regardless of doe or buck or LEH is 1 (ONE). So, if you take a buck in region 3 your doe LEH in region 3 is worthless.
Call CO or wildlife government office to confirm. The regs are fairly clear. The LEH synopsis is older before the updated regs came out, I think.

Jelvis
09-05-2018, 11:47 AM
1. So then get your buck where you always went for years and know the spot good, and fill your leh antlerless in another close as you can Region. Different one you apply for then you hunt your buck. now
Jel -my understanding how it cood werky good -- 2. don't apply for antlerless, in your buck spot, maybe someone else you go with apply in that spot etc figure it out!
---The options on LEH for mule deer antler less in B.C. to you and yours is huge to your advantages -- makes for a better plan -- b4 you apply for next leh think of your options, with your hunting party, sitting around having a coffee or tea, or a beer.
----------------> Mule deer will be the savior of the hunter, supplies everything a hunter was, is and will be, and is a survivor and will give us mega pleasure -->

howa1500
09-06-2018, 12:05 PM
My 15 year old daughter took a region 3 buck in the youth season and also has a LEH for region 8. The Regs don’t make any mention of this scenario.

I'm assuming the buck was a mule deer. If so

Your daughter cannot harvest another MULE deer buck in Regions 3 thru 8

Your daughter cannon shoot ANY mule deer in Region 3 because the regional Mule deer limit is 1

She can only shoot another Mule buck in Regions 1, 2 and Haida Gwaii

She can still shoot a White Tail Buck where it is open.

She CAN still Harvest a doe in region 8

It is in the table

howa1500
09-06-2018, 12:08 PM
1. So then get your buck where you always went for years and know the spot good, and fill your leh antlerless in another close as you can Region. Different one you apply for then you hunt your buck. now
Jel -my understanding how it cood werky good -- 2. don't apply for antlerless, in your buck spot, maybe someone else you go with apply in that spot etc figure it out!
---The options on LEH for mule deer antler less in B.C. to you and yours is huge to your advantages -- makes for a better plan -- b4 you apply for next leh think of your options, with your hunting party, sitting around having a coffee or tea, or a beer.
----------------> Mule deer will be the savior of the hunter, supplies everything a hunter was, is and will be, and is a survivor and will give us mega pleasure -->

That is correct Especially for Region 3