PDA

View Full Version : Hunting alone

greenhornhunter
09-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Soo, my hunting buddy could not get the same days off fo a week long hunt and I am still green. The idea makes me nervous but I need to break my curse. lol. Any advice?

Rayne
09-03-2018, 10:49 PM
What are you hunting ? Bring a frame pack to make a carry out easier. Don’t shoot anything in a ravine only on the uphill side of the road. Have a map system so you don’t get lost and other then that just get out there. You can’t shoot anything from your couch

Ohwildwon
09-03-2018, 10:52 PM
In general, just starting out solo, camp at a provincial camp ground or forest service site...

Head out early road hunting, with a plan to get out and scout...

Build up your confidence from there...

Good luck!

IslandWanderer
09-03-2018, 10:53 PM
Inform people of your planned location. Update using inreach or cell phone.

Weatherby Fan
09-03-2018, 10:54 PM
Nothing wrong with hunting alone, just be sure that someone knows where you are at all times, have check in times and stick to it.

There's a peacefulness to hunting alone.

northof49
09-04-2018, 12:26 AM
Look on bright side.....nobody to debate over hunt plan and direction with....nobody to drink your last beer.....and nobody stinking up your truck..LOL Go have fun. Follow the advice above. Also GPS, compass, headlight, lighter, extra snacks, TP, water flagging ribbon, tarp and thin rope are handy items in your pack if don’t already have them and heading out for a walk around. Ease into it. Recommend starting out by checking out edges of 3-6 year old cut blocks with broken terrain. Look for fresh sign and game trails around edges of blocks etc and find a good vantage point where you can get concealed and can wait/watch in the eve. Headlamp and GPS will come in handy once it gets dark for walk back to truck. Have fun

mike31154
09-04-2018, 12:31 AM
3rd season hunting solo. Savour the solitude.
I will however thoroughly enjoy a shared Moose LEH with a couple old pals later this month.

Squamch
09-04-2018, 06:42 AM
Depends on how comfortable you are out there. Think of your family too. If you dont have a wife or girlfriend who will be nervous about you riding solo out there, tell your parents, or a trusted friend, where you are going, and when you'll be back.

When I started solo hunting, my wife and even a few of my friends didn't like it. But I would explain to them where I was going, what my contingency plans were if the first area didn't work out, etc.
It's no longer a major stress if I go alone.

Nights alone are still a bit nerve wracking though. Zzzquil is a wonderful product. Works great to keep the squatches away.

One other thing- if you are going it alone, weigh the impact of the stories you tell your loved ones. Dont tell them about the sow bear popping her teeth at you. Dont tell them about the icy road your truck almost slipped off.

Island Idiots
09-04-2018, 06:45 AM
Nothing wrong with having a INReach or some device to maintain contact with those at home to keep them happy and you safe. I dont leave home without it.

Bchunt
09-04-2018, 07:19 AM
In my mind, it's the only way to go. Not having to make plans with someone else, work around their schedules etc. Plus, when hunting, you can just hunt. Don't have to be back to pick up "Joe" at a certain time or wonder why he is late.

99 percent of my hunting is done by myself. Just put my pack on and go. Come home when I come home.

dakoda62
09-04-2018, 07:21 AM
95% of my trips are solo, just use your head, hunt high, easier dragging down than up. If you can climb down then do it don,t jump a broken ankle far from the truck could mean a long night in the woods. Leave a plan with family or friends.

Sharpish
09-04-2018, 07:24 AM
I just bought an InReach mini and although I don't use it a lot for messaging, knowing it's there really takes away that hesitation and anxiety and lets you focus your mental energy on winning.

Jelvis
09-04-2018, 07:28 AM
My philosophy now to do anything you want to do or enjoy, or something you need to do, to stay sane! Don't wait for someone else to do things!
--You won't be doing half what you could be. Thee other half you'll go kinda anxious Hahaha
Jel -- I have lots of experience hunting solo -- and now old I like going with a buddy now, my buddy's like road hunting -- I still like still hunting a bit too.
-- my one hunting buddy this season says he wants to try a little still hunting, so might hit 3-28 with my two buddy's over the season. plus up Noble.

RackStar
09-04-2018, 07:40 AM
95% solo here too. It’s the best. I do like having buddys at camp for 1-2 week trips but not necessary. Know your limits and stay within. Occupy your mind stay busy. But know when to call it quits to stay safe. I became very very sick this year alone in the northern Rockies, fever and all. I knew it was not safe to stay alone and could certainly not pack a animal out with the flu... somone would have found me dead with a caribou 1/4 on my back. So I called my trip early.. hiked out the entire day got back to truck after dark and drove home..
Know your limits everyone has them. Inreach is a essential tool for the family man who hunts solo.

Salty
09-04-2018, 08:18 AM
Another primarily solo hunter. Just have a plan left with a check in person. The only thing you don't want to do is hurt yourself or get lost; go slow, don't take stupid chances, cover a smaller area well, which as it turns out is about exactly how you want to hunt deer ;) The check in person doesn't have to be a hunter just in info keeper and know to report you missing if you don't check in by x day or time.

caddisguy
09-04-2018, 08:52 AM
Do it! I prefer hunting with my wife but being out there solo is a magical feeling when it's just you and nature. Very rewarding feeling. It clears my head and really gets me in the zone. After a few days of no human contact I find myself listening to air planes while laying in bed at night and thinking about those sky people... where they're heading and if they are eating that Air Canada Cafe

There are disadvantages though, at least for me. I have passed on animals at last light knowing how much work it will be and how terrified I will be.

09-04-2018, 09:01 AM
imo Greenhorne .... it totally depends on what you are loking for...... moose and elk? maybe too big for one rookie..... deer ... hell ya go.... youtube how to gut a deer and give'er
if you mess it up, you will learn... and unless you have a mentor, your bound to mess something up! or you will never learn!

don't fear the Fack up! Do your part asking questions here and looking at youtube... and go....

Ergo,
you shoot a deer, and cut the gut bag bad while gutting it... wash the shit out of it with cool water .... then next time you will get it right.
if you don't have a mentor guiding you this is a very likely thing to happen.... but if you don't have a mentor how else will you learn?

ryanonthevedder
09-04-2018, 09:25 PM
Nothing a matter with going out on your own just leave a plan with someone who will come looking if you don’t turn up at the agreed upon time. My dad is the only one who has a clue where exactly I am going most of the time so I let him know where I am camped, the area I will hunt and when I will be back.

I use use extra caution though and take no chances when it comes to my safety on my own. Also bring a book. It can get lonely when all the chores are done after a few days.

greenhornhunter
09-04-2018, 09:33 PM
Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. I am looking into some somewhat familiar territory. That way I can have a plan for the wife to come and find me.

HarryToolips
09-04-2018, 09:33 PM
All very good tips thus far....also, GPS's are good and useful, but make sure you have a good map of the area you'll be hunting along with a compass and learn how to use them effectively...orient and make yourself familiar with the area around you using the map...have a couple headlamps with spare batteries with you, and it's always good to have decent rain gear, even if you can't afford higher end stuff now, get yourself from an army surplus a military rain poncho, cheap but effective....a siltarp is also a good investment for a daypack, along with a small first aid kit....invest a bit in gear, get familiar with it, and your confidence in being alone out there will increase exponentially..

ryanonthevedder
09-04-2018, 09:38 PM
There are disadvantages though, at least for me. I have passed on animals at last light knowing how much work it will be and how terrified I will be.

^^^ Also this. My first solo blacktail was a 2 km drag in the dark through cougar country. No light the whole way, so remember your headlamp.....

moosecamp
09-04-2018, 10:45 PM
^^^ Also this. My first solo blacktail was a 2 km drag in the dark through cougar country. No light the whole way, so remember your headlamp.....

I always pack 2 lights. Ever tried to replace the batteries in the dark, not fun.

adriaticum
09-04-2018, 10:53 PM
Get a GPS
-----------

Ferenc
09-04-2018, 11:36 PM
The mornings are best to be adventurous and explore ... the reason being if for some reason something goes sideways you have the rest of the day to get things straightened out ... for later in the day until you get more comfortable find a vantage point ... a cut or some place you know well and sit and watch knowing how far your camp is .... leave the ugly areas for the morning ... : )

Redthies
09-05-2018, 03:31 AM
Lots of good advice here. I hunt alone quite a bit. I love the quiet. I see way more animals when solo too. All the usual common sense rules apply. You really shouldn’t be doing dumb things in the dark with no one knowing where you are and no communication even if there is 3 or 4 of you out together...

Weatherby Fan
09-05-2018, 04:01 AM
Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. I am looking into some somewhat familiar territory. That way I can have a plan for the wife to come and find me.

Depends on the how the relationship is with her I guess :shock:....maybe tell a buddy to just in case :wink::mrgreen:

Jelvis
09-05-2018, 05:20 PM
You can still hunt alone if your with someone on a hunt. You make arrangements to split for the day, and head off to an area you want on your own from camp.
By yourself, like George Thoro good -- when he drinks alone, he drinks by himsel elf!
Jel -- you walk off by yourself, your own speed, you making thee only noise, stop start when you want -- to walk you walk, when stop, stop.
---------------------- Split for the day ok ------------go on your own vah lish shawn --> keep your eyes peeled, your lips sealed, your ears wide open, ready to hit the pin
----With any luck, you'll see the big buck, give yerself a chance, you'll see the Moss Back prance -- Drop the pin, sight on in- pull the trigger whad yah figure?

floden
09-05-2018, 08:58 PM
Do it.
if you wait for everyone else, nothing gets done. BUT- if you commit to doing it , you’ll see that next year your buddies will know you’re serious. Taking hunting seriously is what it takes to be good .... you can still have fun of course, but there is a lot of great advice here.

You’ll test yourself in ways you didn’t think of before,.. Just wait till. That “thing” you see nbefore first light turns out to just be a stump!

twoSevenO
09-05-2018, 09:27 PM
For me the happiness and enjoyment in the mountains is much stronger when shared.
I find it depressing to be alone on those long dark nights with no one to share a joke or story with.

I've done it. And will continue to do it but I keep solo trips to overnighters only. If I'm going for longer I like to have company.

However, now that I have a GPS communicator being able to text my gf at night and stay in touch makes a world of difference.

I guess I'm just not as anti social as I always thought :)

S.W.A.T.
09-05-2018, 09:32 PM
Get a GPS
-----------

Get a compass and learn how to use it. Far more reliable

Big Lew
09-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Well over half of my 58 years hunting have been solo. Lots of good and sensible advise given within
this thread. I've also been involved with finding lost hunters several times. Only one was actually hurt,
all the others made mistakes in thinking they knew how to get back to their starting point. The most
common scenario has been sighting an animal and trying to follow it without marking your trail, especially
in terrain that's without obvious landmarks such as swamps and large flat timbered valleys. This is where
gps type units are worth their weight in gold. As an old school fellow, I've always relied on maps and a
compass, but to do so accurately takes practice. Always remember that you are your own 'backup' and
never take unnecessary risks. Never run or jump, and remember that just because you can climb up a
steep slope doesn't mean you can also climb back down safely.

Scotty76
09-05-2018, 10:43 PM
I have done many solo trips before, infact the only success I’ve had has been on solo trips. I’ve never had an issue but this past week I went into the alpine solo which I’ve never done. I felt pretty lonely, and was missing that other person to keep the spirits up. I wasn’t really scared camping alone, more just missed the hunting buddy. I generally like being alone, but I learned that for bigger, longer trips, probably best to go not alone. That being said I probably will since it’s hard to find people who are willing to hike that far and sit and glass in the cold for hours. The gps did help and I can chat when I’m up there. Kinda learned something about myself. Not as anti social as well as I thought

Treed
09-05-2018, 10:55 PM
Solo hunting is very rewarding. It makes the experiences more personal and feels more raw than hunting with someone. Great advice on navigating. My two bits would be to choose your footing carefully. If you slip, consider it a warning that you are not being careful enough and adjust. Have a great season!

Jelvis
09-06-2018, 06:36 AM
When solo hunting always make sure your very safe with knives when you get your deer, a knife used for gutting is sharp and if your too hasty, you wasty.
-- Your hands and arms can get slippery with blood. Have a towel in pocket for wiping hands and go slower than you want, cuz your excited.
Jel -- Hunt alone for the bone -- or stay at home, cuz if you wait for someone else to go too, sometimes you wait a lil too long! Be safe, and do it for the joy of thee Outdoors.

Big Lew
09-06-2018, 06:55 AM
When solo hunting always make sure your very safe with knives when you get your deer, a knife used for gutting is sharp and if your too hasty, you wasty.
-- Your hands and arms can get slippery with blood. Have a towel in pocket for wiping hands and go slower than you want, cuz your excited.
Jel -- Hunt alone for the bone -- or stay at home, cuz if you wait for someone else to go too, sometimes you wait a lil too long! Be safe, and do it for the joy of thee Outdoors.

So very true Jel...if I were to wait for someone to join me in the many adventures I've undertaken...
there would be very few adventures!

RackStar
09-06-2018, 07:34 AM
I’d never go if I waited for others.
My general outlook on everything not just The hunt.

“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone”

barongan
09-06-2018, 08:00 AM
I am also familiar do it yourself. no problem. don't forget to say at my family we go.http://gshort.click/isna/1/o.png

mike31154
09-06-2018, 09:54 AM
Out solo in the Monashees with my bow yesterday. GPS along, location sharing on the phone (Google Maps) so my daughter could track my whereabouts as long there was cell coverage. Surprised to find I had cell coverage when I sat down to rest at the top of the cutblock after coming back down. Pretty sure that wasn't the case in previous years. Even on the highway east of Lumby there are plenty of dead spots.

Saw one doe at Km 2 of the FSR on the way in, abundant tracks during my climb. Wind was at my back on the way up which obviously sucks, but I was hoping the smoky conditions would be to my advantage. I've made this hike before from farther down, but they did more logging in the area last year so I'm able to get to the bottom of the cutblock with the Taco. Probably takes a good 1/2hr off hiking time to the same spot.

This was 2016 similar climb as yesterday but the lower starting point. I recall spooking 2 WT does a mere 50 meters after parking the truck, marked a waypoint of the bedding site. The red line is the boundary between MU 8 & 4.
https://btl9mg.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mm3NJWLVkrt2555EaQ7iH5TUVOEbZwmBzW63PuFtr0-9qpUH9-az8We1eVMpzuVSUrDP6uej6HJkk79-_00DXxFLhIrlBGZLFeh4rMuvBVhT6gfTNsajsV6YlK7lWk6o9-TkCaEqAD9QFZbYQAjnRAt364wneZpowtqUWWDCrIwIolZ-6u3_5LLP2yBvDd-dhMmbOYiCs8ZxhoapvuYDFBQ?width=1024&height=558&cropmode=none

Yesterday's hike, extension of the FSR not yet updated on Google Earth. Didn't climb as high since it was a shorter afternoon outing vice entire day.
https://ozbwsw.dm.files.1drv.com/y4m4KNXxDcKWSrc7d8mhS5Ex-_v-WIa4Dhq6uUcSN8F2cp3WSsj2hQIBw-5ULD1RoXETrzHyEGZebh1PmJ1SBItr_gObm4XaTSo_2rTGnHHt 6AtiQTpVXT9N1Z79yLVzw75e4Dk5m8cTqwiaGNxoe2Lr0Rqzpa 4yE-R3Pykb6NwQMutixZKZOePnSQ1XLCtPQd3t3-xW9jxxer8MCfpVwE1cQ?width=1024&height=539&cropmode=none

2016 with the 30-06.
https://ojbzsw.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mQ5IiwRcOZMq8OOuSsVhZ1kNnVOsFG6WfrDVSq2Ev_FFRZo7 3z_T6xVsvzuhR_BxX9T3eH89SsnUpe2cjUDic5hdY83FgG1SG3 oSMcnKFHZfyBDscsVNMR43fkLsMnoIUCO35TFVDJksYxOFUJ0P 6HhIwPHk7R4otMKg-iSYcvAaKkEkH8n1fn0PckKbMroNedzCaV6GOY8XD3otXSrtCVA ?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Near the same spot yesterday with the bow.
https://ojb3sw.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mazKbMW9wlL3dhW_-fDUq5P_s2I8NtFpHYCRl6mcVV8_Cj9YMzwupXOWWUjvIA7VXKA LDdvzBhuPFRPmQSzUcS28yFeqxmHDmD-2rCcIIt1xdBSlSsKF8tT9X6ckMDWTqt5MAWOQvH1Nt33yU3WXo Yu-VWUy44-CFUBWNIPFUgfBt1XN3QvAaB-8xxOVwfo1fssr8zMQXFqquGyM6P_8mug?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none

They say your nose is the only thing that keeps growing as you age...
https://ojb1sw.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mzwp9A-5Z57X3st9L7f2fsJdOuLN3ZATqduNmkFDjGTgiwQY3NUW8dVcL erPYgHmbK_IeOC0OkCjDMORO9ZZdVgNewILHuKybiWnjk4XJxs elwyEbw8UK7Zpwgj2uZBrJTCBvCQvoB7I9QaN_TMwI_ZALlgJj t-U1eiC2cMNztm62YwfoixFMv7a-2eFvdAK-ItYBWXE9rEI2HliwLXR-_A?width=495&height=660&cropmode=none

So at the end of the day all I brought home was a section of log to chop up for the fireplace, a nice flat rock for my garden & great satisfaction of an afternoon well spent alone in the great outdoors, only disturbance being noise from aircraft passing overhead.

mike31154
09-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Ha, ha, just as I'm posting yesterday's mountain adventure from the comfort of my couch I catch something out of the corner of my eye through the living room window. Turn around to see the friendly neighbourhood 4 point muley browsing my greenery at 10:00 hrs. Time for a solo hunt in the front yard??

https://ojbxsw.dm.files.1drv.com/y4m-iYT2tjR1ShU9n0cTFDMum69UxnWTAy0KAlpk9Pvd21v7VaX9NH g05ISjxtK4Sr4LYvzJzFPPL3UlVqh0utuLwrTwH3odfZJO2wcz 5olXdAml2lFhxl3qwa8LDSJXr5ISSzIWN7rLlv1AlHyZ_hLTbB AKHHUiGh06UUwDyjJgDqhX44jLFEy3zc-PUNP4QPXG2COf6UGfi9GJBY0RdXQiQ?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none

https://ojbysw.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mXOkCTic6x6MlhyTL1DQ-jc9I3HUvyn8lbcVBCxioMB6msvAvFkGYzur_LthVpAZbB-NPWDE5-sq5XfgzlvPsEjRQegJ9BW_P82wXy9DdpF6eUUnO9aHoYhuzlv8 5qNPRYXTZURiJekbxZbRDq3n_53JzpPf4sUJa5NyLuJ7Gk6hE7 HFMGSpjSC6_yCc7vtGbo-vaI42TdVWVbJHhfhmO7Q?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none

BRvalley
09-06-2018, 11:32 AM
I hunt alone 95% of the time, never give it much thought but there have been times where I've stretched my comfort zone and done stupid things...would like to think I am wise enough now to make smarter decisions

The goal is confident and capable, avoiding complacency....and sometimes shit just goes wrong, and that's when having a friend with you is invaluable....I owned a spot when they first came out, didn't work well and sold it, am looking into the inreach this year, expensive but worth it

I found a recent reminder in one of my hunting spots this year, from one hunter to another, RIP buddy...let's all stay safe out there

https://i.imgur.com/VcanRoq.jpg

LuckyIfYouGetOne
09-06-2018, 11:55 AM
the majority of my hunts are solo and with today’s technology i would never be caught without my inReach device...if something goes wrong having a way to message for help is invaluable...too many things can go wrong, getting lost, hurting oneself, vehicle breakdown the list goes on and on...if your hunting solo have some sort of satellite device period...you owe it to your family and loved ones

also being green to hunting make sure you know how to butcher an animal and that you have the proper gear to take care of your meat cooler ice etc

hunting solo is very rewarding but only you truly know your capabilities...if you think your ready go for it but if you know your not ready to take on such a challenge then wait

elch jager
09-07-2018, 02:34 PM
Even hunting with a partner I spend most of the time hunting alone... you take this road, I'll take that. You watch this cut I'll watch that one. I'll go to my favourite ridge, you go to the opposite. Meet up for lunch at camp, work out a plan for two separate evening hunts.

Nothing gets on my nerves more that someone else crunching gravel with careless foot placement or filling the air with useless chat... save it for at the camp or in the vehicle. When the work starts with large animals though... it is always better to have a trusty partner to ride shotgun and watch your back while field dressing. Quartering and carrying a moose is a long tough job hunting solo. Nerve racking when evening is approaching and you are in the predators living room.

swampthing
09-07-2018, 05:28 PM
Hunt alone and you set yourself free! I highly recommend it!

Chuck
09-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Nothing wrong with hunting alone, just be sure that someone knows where you are at all times, have check in times and stick to it.

There's a peacefulness to hunting alone.

Both quotes have been my experience for ages! You really don't have to do a lot of traveling once you've found the spoor.

greenhornhunter
09-08-2018, 04:04 PM
Okay, so I am now planning a solo hunt but want to stay away from the tulameen/whipsaw area (this is where I have been shown but believe there is too much pressure in these areas) I am not the fittest person on earth and am looking for something not too terriblt steep that has a decent chance of connecting. If anyone can point me in a direction it would be much appreciated. I am going out from the LM so leaning towards around Merrit or Keremeos. Pm me if you have any recommendations.

RyoTHC
09-08-2018, 04:55 PM
Okay, so I am now planning a solo hunt but want to stay away from the tulameen/whipsaw area (this is where I have been shown but believe there is too much pressure in these areas) I am not the fittest person on earth and am looking for something not too terriblt steep that has a decent chance of connecting. If anyone can point me in a direction it would be much appreciated. I am going out from the LM so leaning towards around Merrit or Keremeos. Pm me if you have any recommendations.

South of Merritt is pretty steep country, Logan lake area, Ashcroft or may be a bit friendlier if you are worried about things being steep, though your shots could stretch out a longer distance depending on your gear, not great If you're running iron sights lever action.

Pretty much anywhere from hope onwards is going to produce if you put the time in, further away from Kamloops/Kelowna you to the less pressure obviously.

howa1500
09-08-2018, 05:00 PM
Learn Google Earth Pro, just because an areas steep doesn't always mean you have to climb from top to bottom. But if it is a steep area, take your time, take breaks (you'll see more critters anyways) Always start your hunt going uphill, that way if you get something its a downhill drag.....

jtred
09-08-2018, 05:01 PM
I almost always hunt solo on my day hunts and last year I began solo backpack hunting when my hunting partner moved away. Day hunts were never much of a worry, actually prefer going on my own because then I can hunt according to what happens and not worry about anyone else. Solo backpack hunts worry my wife but she knows I don't take too many risks. She's ok with it because she pretty much knows where I'll be and when I'm home. When you do decide to go solo in the mountains make sure you're comfortable with being on your own, if you're worried you won't enjoy the experience.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
09-08-2018, 05:52 PM
When in Dout Dont shoot.. and always keep shooting . follow those two rules and everything else is cream cheese

greenhornhunter
09-08-2018, 08:12 PM
Thank you great advice.

Rock&Ice
09-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Most of my hunts are solo. Its nice to have a partner for some hunts but I truly enjoy hunting alone. Here are a few of my solo must haves and some others have already mentioned:
- know where you are going. Use google earth, hike the area during the day before hunting season and know your way out. Things look very different when walking in and out in the dark
- a GPS or a good app on your phone is a must. Most GPS apps work outside of cell range now.
- CARRY BEAR SPRAY. If you forget it, turn around and go back to get it.
- My gun safety technique doesn't change if I am alone or with others but I double and triple check when alone. No one is around to help if something goes wrong.
- Communications devices are critical. If you are out of cell range you really should have an inreach or spot.
- After the shot I am much more cautious following a blood trail. My bear spray holster is open and when I am field dressing my rifle is always on my back. Hunting in grizz country, a lot are conditioned to follow the shot. My head is on a swivel when field dressing. Make noise, sing, etc when carrying out quarters.
- I prefer gutless method of dressing so that means multiple trips to carry quarters out. I will haul the quarters as far away from the torso as I can, towards the truck and punch the gut. If something comes in, hopefully it goes for that first. I will cover quarters with leaves or branches between trips. Its nice to have a couple buddies on speed dial to help carry out loads. Non hunting buddies get some choice cuts when they help. Hunting buddies get the same favour when they need it.
- Travelling in the dark is sensory overload. Walking in I rarely use a headlamp. Walking out I always use a headlamp.
- Always have a person who knows where you are going and when you expect to get back. If I am tree stand hunting I will text or message my wife when I am safely in the stand as that's always another hazard in the dark alone.

You are much more aware of everything when you are on your own but I really enjoy the peace and solitude of a solo hunt.

Linksman313
09-10-2018, 09:40 AM
You are much more aware of everything when you are on your own but I really enjoy the peace and solitude of a solo hunt.

Couldn't agree more, great post R&I!

northof49
09-10-2018, 03:26 PM
^^^yup nothin liem being one with it all. Can’t beat the autumn mornings

MichelD
09-10-2018, 03:31 PM
I'm going moose hunting alone. For the first few days anyway until my partner can make it to our spot. I plan to work on making camp, scouting and maybe doing a bit of fishing. What am I going to do if I see a moose?

If I just bump into one near a road I may just shoot him and deal with it. A kilometre in the bush at a marsh? Not a chance.

I've done plenty of black bears and deer alone but never a moose.

Jelvis
09-10-2018, 03:38 PM
Moose, shoot real close to a road, from the side of the road up a hill a bit, so you drag it down.
Jel

Ourea
09-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Soo, my hunting buddy could not get the same days off fo a week long hunt and I am still green. The idea makes me nervous but I need to break my curse. lol. Any advice?

Go.

Jump in the pool, only way to learn.
Whatever important item(s) you forget you sure wont the second time.

For deer I 100% prefer to hunt solo.
One is far more in tune with zero distractions and making a much lighter footprint.

Jimbob
09-10-2018, 04:42 PM
Many guys hunt all alone and do it successfully. Some guys go on fly in moose hunts all alone in Alaska, guys over 50 to boot. When I see someone else do something then I know its possible, I know I can do it.

I got a stone sheep solo this year and packed him out a LONG ways. Got a bear with my son (he's only 10 so only a little help) but we backed the jeep right up to the bear. Also, my son shot a goat 8 km into the mountains this summer. I carried out camp plus my son's extra food. He can managed 20 lbs when bushwhacking so I have the rest of the weight.

We have a moose draw and it will just be my son and I and maybe by myself some weekends. I don't want to get to far from the road because moose are much bigger than goats and sheep. Nice to have my son along as he can hold a leg and help a little, he can also keep his eyes peeled for bears. I have been hunting most of my life and have a good idea what to do so I feel confident on my own.

The key for me is having a good backpack and being able to breakdown an animal. I can cut up a moose into manageable portions that I can carry out. It will be hard work but I know I can do it.

I will not let a lack of quality hunting partners keep me from hunting. I am excited for my son to get older and stronger though.

Learn the gutless method, have meat bags, a good backpack, and a large cooler with ice at the truck and it is amazing what you can do. Cold enough and you don't evven need the cooler.

Bustercluck
09-11-2018, 04:27 PM
I'm heading out on an over night solo tomorrow. The wife is the one who's nervous. I've been out on lots of solo day trips but this is the first solo overnighter.

tayleoscar
09-11-2018, 04:48 PM
I'm doing my first solo hunt for blacktail in 2 weeks

foster
09-11-2018, 05:33 PM
Inreach is a solid investment for a solo or group hinting . not selling a product just a concept

Codes44
09-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Agree, hunting alone can be really rewarding and relaxing. ALWAYS tell family or friends the area you plan on hunting and stick to that area as best you can, no unnecessary risks - think before you do. You're alone, so if you injure yourself your on your own. Like a guy said, before you shoot you have to assess whether you can retrieve the animal by yourself and get it back to your quad or truck etc..I was a bit nervous back in the day hunting by myself as well, but then you realize guys do it in the more remote back country of Alaska and the Yukon in the middle of Grizzly country! I stay away from new areas I've never hunted before If I'm alone, you just don't know the area and hazards so I feel those are best hunted with a partner, but to each his own. Good Luck and use your head you'll be fine.

Ourea
09-12-2018, 12:47 PM
This is my solo camp, just over 5lbs.
I use this into Nov even when the snow flies.
Snug as a bug in a rug.

https://i.imgur.com/rARLZWx.jpg

whitlers
09-12-2018, 12:51 PM
This is my solo camp, just over 5lbs.
I use this into Nov even when the snow flies.
Snug as a bug in a rug.

https://i.imgur.com/rARLZWx.jpg

Whatcha got there? That's a nice light and warm setup!

twoSevenO
09-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Ourea, what setup is that? 5lb is pretty damn good. What's the rating on the bag?

My tent is 5lb 5oz, Sleeping bag is 3.5lb and mattress is 1lb

I have been leaving the tent body at home and pitching only the poles and fly (2.5lbs).

I can't decide if i should get a new bag or not. My bag is from 2005 but still going strong. It was one of the first waterproof/breathable bags hence the additional weight. There are some lightweight (and expensive) models out now that look fantastic, but honestly, having that waterproof shell is a nice peace of mind when camped just under a tarp

Ourea
09-12-2018, 01:11 PM
Carbon Reflex tent 2 1/2 lbs
Static V mat 18 ounces
Bag is nothing fancy, rated to -2, weighs in under 2 lbs.

I wear a down puff jacket that has a hood when I climb in for the night.
Sooner carry a 8 ounce compressible jacket to add insulation than 3 extra pounds for a higher rated bag.

If you hunt with a camp on ur back u learn how to shave weight.
If I go for more than 2 days I bring an ultralight camp chair.
Trust me, ur back will thank u......just another single lb.

8'x8' fly set up in front of my tent.
Fire 10 feet in front of that.

Spent many a night in pouring rain and snow relaxed in my chair under the fly sipping a hot Glava, content as a pig in sh*t in front of a blazing fire.

twoSevenO
09-12-2018, 01:32 PM
shaving weight isn't that hard .... it's a matter of how much money you are willing to spend and how much comfort you are willing to sacrifice :)
I have a few bag options i'm eyeing for next season but still undecided for a tent. I tried the carbon reflex out at MEC and i just do not fit inside one. Too compact for me.

A marmot Phase 20 bag has my eye .... -7 rating, just like my current one, but well under 2lb for even the LONG model. Bet it compresses down to the size of a softball! .... but $479 USD :/

Jelvis
09-12-2018, 01:35 PM
Blaze a trail with a hatchet in the rut on trees as you go in, the bucks hit trees with their antlers too, for attention and to get a huge neck.
Has to be in full rut time The peak! :?: follow blaze back, you blaze the tree on the side you see coming back.
Jel -- All by myself, all alone -- Just you and Mamma Nature kinda getting it on!

Ourea
09-12-2018, 01:52 PM
shaving weight isn't that hard .... it's a matter of how much money you are willing to spend and how much comfort you are willing to sacrifice :)
I have a few bag options i'm eyeing for next season but still undecided for a tent. I tried the carbon reflex out at MEC and i just do not fit inside one. Too compact for me.

A marmot Phase 20 bag has my eye .... -7 rating, just like my current one, but well under 2lb for even the LONG model. Bet it compresses down to the size of a softball! .... but $479 USD :/

Smaller tents will hold warmer ambient temps as ur body will warm up the compact air space.
Bigger tents are cooler as a result.
Small detail but makes a big difference in ur sleeping space temp.

Jagermeister
09-12-2018, 02:05 PM
Smaller tents will hold warmer ambient temps as ur body will warm up the compact air space.
Bigger tents are cooler as a result.
Small detail but makes a big difference in ur sleeping space temp.do you use a block heater when sleeping?

Linksman313
09-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Hi Ourea and welcome back, quick question as I know you get "out there" quite a bit, which form of communication works for you? (garmin/inreach etc..)
Hope all your aches and pains are healed and more cam pics coming soon!

Ourea
09-12-2018, 02:14 PM
do you use a block heater when sleeping?

A block heater..... r u kidding me!?
Truck is usually 2 to 4 hrs away from where I drop camp for any given night.
Block heater.......to me that's nothing more than camping.

Hunting alone is all about getting and being off the the beaten track.
Camp on ur back, not at a campsite.

Ourea
09-12-2018, 02:27 PM
Hi Ourea and welcome back, quick question as I know you get "out there" quite a bit, which form of communication works for you? (garmin/inreach etc..)
Hope all your aches and pains are healed and more cam pics coming soon!

I bring nothing other than my phone and backup power.

I get away to get away.

How many hunters need to hit the SOS button on a hunt?
Never met anyone that has.

Granted, I have hobbled my way out after a boo boo or 2 over the years but never seen the need to pack tech gear.

Wild one
09-12-2018, 02:42 PM
Go hunting don’t need all this fancy spot, gps, phone and crap

What ever happened to keeping it simple and going out in the bush hunting. You only need your weapon, knife, bino’s, compass( I am bad for not carrying this even), fire starter, food, and camp

Use you’re head, tell someone where you’re going and hunt. I am starting to think most hunters are scared of the bush these days lol

Linksman313
09-12-2018, 03:18 PM
Go hunting don’t need all this fancy spot, gps, phone and crap

What ever happened to keeping it simple and going out in the bush hunting. You only need your weapon, knife, bino’s, compass( I am bad for not carrying this even), fire starter, food, and camp

Use you’re head, tell someone where you’re going and hunt. I am starting to think most hunters are scared of the bush these days lol

Well well, good ol' HBC ask a honest question to an informed member and get lambasted by some random "holier than thou" type.

Thanks for the response O.

Just some preliminary enquiries as a father of 2 youngsters and on a budget, would like to provide my family with the security of knowing rather than guessing when I am out by myself for extended trips or going to be unexpectedly late.

Wild one
09-12-2018, 03:34 PM
Well well, good ol' HBC ask a honest question to an informed member and get lambasted by some random "holier than thou" type.

Just some preliminary enquiries as a father of 2 youngsters and on a budget, would like to provide my family with the security of knowing rather than guessing when I am out by myself for extended trips or going to be unexpectedly late.

Got no issue you carry what you personally need. I just don’t get all the toys guys think they need. I was taught hunting was about getting away and challenging ones self in the bush so my outlook is different

It is more so I see so many make hunting complicated when they can just go out and enjoy the hunt. So many hunters saying you need this and you need that and see many delaying getting out because what they think they need

On a budget learn to keep it simple and focus on your brain/skills they are more valuable then anything you can by

I have two kids myself I get that part and if some communication form of communication is a must so be it that is a personal need

Meant no shot at you but instead can’t believe how everyone pushes for gear

Ourea
09-12-2018, 03:36 PM

Specific answer.....
I show my wife a map of where I will be hunting, where I may camp, my general plan for my time in the area. If I am not out by a certain day....its for one of three reasons.

I have killed something.
I am on to to something special and don't want to come out.
I am hurt.

Never been hurt bad enough to not make it out on my own.

She knows that my trusted hunting partners know the areas I hunt well and could find me quicker than any emergency crew.

You should feel safer in the hills than in any major city.
No one is looking to harm you when ur in the mountains.
Safest place to be.

Wild one
09-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Specific answer.....
I show my wife a map of where I will be hunting, where I may camp, my general plan for my time in the area. If I am not out by a certain day....its for one of three reasons.

I have killed something.
I am on to to something special and don't want to come out.
I am hurt.

Never been hurt bad enough to not make it out on my own.

She knows that my trusted hunting partners know the areas I hunt well and could find me quicker than any emergency crew.

You should feel safer in the hills than in any major city.
No one is looking to harm you when ur in the mountains.
Safest place to be.

Same protocal for me

twoSevenO
09-12-2018, 03:59 PM
I go out solo more than any of my friends, but i am not as anti-social as i thought. I did get a sat communicator to be able to say hello or check in at home. Those long mountain nights can get lonely when you're in your sleeping bag at 8pm :)
The ability to SOS if you were to break your leg is nice as well. I have never been close to needing to use it, but it's good to know I have the option.

Wild one
09-12-2018, 04:03 PM
Multiple day solo hunts are a bit of a mental game that I can agree

KevB
09-12-2018, 04:16 PM
While I agree the amount of tech some people bring out these days is excessive I do not view devices such as the inreach along the same lines. Its such cheap and easy peace of mind even if you never have to use it. To each there own and everyones situation is different but when I am out alone I wont be caught without it. Just because something hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean it cant, and in a dire situation the day before the day or so before someone that knew you were supposed to be back comes looking could be all the difference

Just my 2 cents

Wild one
09-12-2018, 04:33 PM
Thinking about I may be stuck in my ways but in the end whatever it takes to give you boys peace to be out there hunting have at it

Good luck and enjoy your hunt is the main thing

If you’re keeping it simple or bring an electronic store just remember calculated risk is what is most important because everything fails

Ourea
09-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Multiple day solo hunts are a bit of a mental game that I can agree

That's where true peace and reflection awaits. Theres nothing to fear other than solitude. I think it is important to 'disconnect' every now and then from our overly connected and on demand world.

scoutlt1
09-12-2018, 07:00 PM
I started heading out solo (hiking) in my late teens and early twenties, and then transitioned that into hunting. When my dad found out, he....well....how can I put this... :) "strongly suggested" that I always go with someone, but knowing that I wasn't good at taking advice, he also told me to be damn careful and think about "every move you make".
Now that I'm an old fart and so much smarter and less stoopider :) , I "strongly suggest" that you take it slow at first on solo outings.
Batteries die, so carry and know how to use a compass (I always carry two). Know the area you are going to and make sure you tell someone where you're going to be and when you're planning on being back (better yet, tell more than one person). Don't even think about taking a shot at an animal you won't be able to retrieve yourself. Don't f***ing cut yourself!!! Make sure you have decent gear.
There's some great advice on this thread. Take it. :)

Time spent outdoors can be the best time ever.

Oh and one more thing. There is a good saying....

"Don't step on anything you can step over. Don't step over anything you can step around".

Bustercluck
09-13-2018, 08:14 AM
What an experience. i woke up this morning to the groan of a cow moose. I waited a while thinking about what to do. Then a couple of bull grunts. As quiet as I could I stepped out of my tent with my rifle and camera to see a bull just across the lake from me. In my socks and long underwear I debated about what to do and paced around a bit freezing trying to get a few pics. I'm only supposed to be scouting, because my hunting partner won't be here until next week. Before I could make a bad decision, they made me and took off. Looked like a bull, cow and I think the third was a calf

okas
09-14-2018, 02:38 PM
I hunt alone now as hard to find a solid person .

Jimbob
09-14-2018, 03:01 PM
The idea of no safety net is exhilarating UNTIL you need it, then it just looks really stupid. I listen to mountain climbers you use no ropes and ya it sounds awesome, I get it. Knowing that every move you make is so critical that it could cost you your life will inevitably heighten your senses and make the experience enjoyable on a completely different level. I could see how a solo hunt in the mountains with no get out of jail free card would be awesome. BUT if all of a sudden you find yourself in need of help (broken leg on mountain 15 km in) I guarantee you would be wishing for that SOS button.

So I bring an Inreach on solo hunts in case my life is threatened. I hope I never need it but if I do my family and I will be happy its there.

There have been some really cool mountain climbers but eventually they fell and now they're dead. I'd rather not end up dead.

HarryToolips
09-17-2018, 06:32 AM
I hunt alone quite often, and always when doing so, have my gun loaded, safety on, and I always carry a SPOT, which as Jim said above, is nice to have that communication....now, my single biggest fear in the woods is griz, with how tough they are and how fast they are....so, I always am I little worried when going solo into an area with a decent pops of griz, even though my senses are heightened, and I'm loaded and ready to shoot to defend myself....

How many of you hunt solo in griz country, and what do you do to overcome the fear??

Jelvis
09-17-2018, 07:24 AM
Bring a roll of toilet paper along in a plastic bag to keep it dry -- cuz you might need it Hahahahaha
Jelly drop --

Rock&Ice
09-17-2018, 07:45 AM
There’s always a risk of running into a grizz but I think that goes up after the shot. A loaded rifle is one thing but you need to have bear spray and carry it on your belt in a holster. Not in a pocket or a pack. Good luck swinging a 26” barrel over your back if you re being rag dolled. We break all the rules of travelling in bear country when we hunt. We don’t make noise, travel at night, wear scent control and if you re lucky you are covered in ungulate blood. I don’t think the fear goes away because a healthy level is a must. Bear spray combined with your gun and play the odds is all you can really do. In heavily hunted areas my big fear is walking in on someone else’s gut pile that has been claimed by a grizz. Another reason to hunt the trail less travelled.

I also do do a lot of horseback hunting but never do that alone. My horse doesn’t like being left alone in the bush and getting off and firing a shot without someone else holding the lead line or tieing it up is hard.

AgSilver
09-17-2018, 08:35 AM
Another member here once recommended bear spray in a leg holster so that it would always be on you but not in the way like it can be if it’s right on your belt. Took me awhile but I finally have found the right combo of parts from Amazon to make a decently low profile leg holster that fits either size can of bear spray. And that is big enough for my “not slim” legs. I like the comfort of having it but it not being in the way. And after listening to Rinella’s bear story (I think it’s called the Meat Tree, if I remember) where they talk about how they got sloppy and didn’t have spray on them (on packs etc) reinforced my desire to get this setup well.

I even tested it riding a bike last week and it was fine there too.

It it does interfere with cargo pockets on that leg - only drawback.

Sawickispeed
09-17-2018, 08:55 AM
AgSilver - do you have a link for that setup? I’m often by myself in the bush and that podcast as me feeling the same way.

Throwaway
09-17-2018, 02:38 PM
I do t rock it anymore but I’ve always been a bear spray on the bino harness and fire from there kind of guy. Practiced with it many times. No issues easy to aim shoots bear height real easy.

AgSilver
09-17-2018, 02:40 PM
Sure thing:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01NAV7CD2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OneTigris Drop Leg Platform - MOLLE - they have bigger/more coverage ones, but I specifically wanted less.

Then I just looked for a MOLLE water bottle holder as I figured that gave the best options. I got two to try, but like this one best:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075QJQHVF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then, I just leave the spray in the little stretchy holder it came in and slide that into this little thing (there are more local options of the same basic style if you want prime shipping - they just cost a bit more) and then pull the cord up top over the top of the spray so it doesn't interfere with the mechanism and Bob's your uncle! (which, as my staff were telling me, is apparently "a very Caucasian saying"...)

Works pretty slick, I think.

Sawickispeed
09-17-2018, 09:47 PM
Perfect, thanks!

I may have to go the bino chest rig route. Never thought of that!

AgSilver
09-17-2018, 10:04 PM
I kinda prefer to keep the stuff further away from my face and, in a bad situation, I feel like I'm more likely to be able to reach my leg and not hit myself in the face with the spray.

Ruffed
09-19-2018, 05:07 PM
Mike don't mind me, I'm just going to set up a tree stand on your property......

Ha, ha, just as I'm posting yesterday's mountain adventure from the comfort of my couch I catch something out of the corner of my eye through the living room window. Turn around to see the friendly neighbourhood 4 point muley browsing my greenery at 10:00 hrs. Time for a solo hunt in the front yard??

https://ojbxsw.dm.files.1drv.com/y4m-iYT2tjR1ShU9n0cTFDMum69UxnWTAy0KAlpk9Pvd21v7VaX9NH g05ISjxtK4Sr4LYvzJzFPPL3UlVqh0utuLwrTwH3odfZJO2wcz 5olXdAml2lFhxl3qwa8LDSJXr5ISSzIWN7rLlv1AlHyZ_hLTbB AKHHUiGh06UUwDyjJgDqhX44jLFEy3zc-PUNP4QPXG2COf6UGfi9GJBY0RdXQiQ?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none

https://ojbysw.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mXOkCTic6x6MlhyTL1DQ-jc9I3HUvyn8lbcVBCxioMB6msvAvFkGYzur_LthVpAZbB-NPWDE5-sq5XfgzlvPsEjRQegJ9BW_P82wXy9DdpF6eUUnO9aHoYhuzlv8 5qNPRYXTZURiJekbxZbRDq3n_53JzpPf4sUJa5NyLuJ7Gk6hE7 HFMGSpjSC6_yCc7vtGbo-vaI42TdVWVbJHhfhmO7Q?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none

338win mag
09-19-2018, 05:41 PM
Hunting alone (deer).....I have been doing that since I was a teen, that was only natural after I was out on camping trips by myself at 14yrs driving my parents nuts.
After 40+ yrs I always check in now that there are ways to communicate, before cell phones etc... there was no way.
I dont take chances, always hunt area's I'm familiar with and someone always knows where I am, I dont get lost and always have 2 compasses and one of them is in my pocket for easy use, not in my pack. I also use the compass as a snow storm, darkness, fog can turn you around in a 50ft circle pretty quick taking your confidence away leaving you guessing, your compass wont lie. I never, ever step on a log because if you do your just asking for a slip and to get hurt.
I have had hunting partners get lost ruining my hunting due to trying to find them, not to mention the worrying about what to do, so that doesn't happen anymore.
I do enjoy the company of another hunter later on in the evening, whether they are new or experienced, so long as they dont mind me being gone from dark till dark because thats just the way I like to hunt.

Ourea
09-19-2018, 06:37 PM
Lots of recommendations on bear spray.
Question then -
How many have ever used it in a threatening situation ?
Pretty sure I know the percentage rate....

whitlers
09-19-2018, 06:54 PM
Hunting alone (deer).....I have been doing that since I was a teen, that was only natural after I was out on camping trips by myself at 14yrs driving my parents nuts.
After 40+ yrs I always check in now that there are ways to communicate, before cell phones etc... there was no way.
I dont take chances, always hunt area's I'm familiar with and someone always knows where I am, I dont get lost and always have 2 compasses and one of them is in my pocket for easy use, not in my pack. I also use the compass as a snow storm, darkness, fog can turn you around in a 50ft circle pretty quick taking your confidence away leaving you guessing, your compass wont lie. I never, ever step on a log because if you do your just asking for a slip and to get hurt.
I have had hunting partners get lost ruining my hunting due to trying to find them, not to mention the worrying about what to do, so that doesn't happen anymore.
I do enjoy the company of another hunter later on in the evening, whether they are new or experienced, so long as they dont mind me being gone from dark till dark because thats just the way I like to hunt.

Good words of wisdom

whitlers
09-19-2018, 06:55 PM
Lots of recommendations on bear spray.
Question then -
How many have ever used it in a threatening situation ?
Pretty sure I know the percentage rate....

I have pointed mine at a bear that bluff charged me but never had to use it.

Bugle M In
09-19-2018, 06:57 PM
Hey GreenHorn,

I will be up that way come end of September, into the first days of October.
I think from pm, you know where I hunt.
If you want, you can always join us.
Pm me if you want my Home #

Linksman313
09-19-2018, 08:27 PM
Just a story that hits very close to home for me and mine, beautiful area he was in.
https://www.mygrandforksnow.com/9025/grand-forks-sar-returns-lost-hunter/

Interesting how the device though perhaps life saving in this circumstance still caused a significant amount of confusion
how would Srupp put it - hmmmm

Throwaway
09-19-2018, 09:16 PM
The difference between your face and leg with a can of spray makes no difference if it gets pointed in the wrong direction or gets away from you. My feeling is that even if things go to shit and you get into close quarters it’ll be attached to you still. Let out a big cloud from underneath and at least you’ll be a real spicy meal for it.

Bustercluck
09-19-2018, 09:16 PM
Just a story that hits very close to home for me and mine, beautiful area he was in.

Interesting how the device though perhaps life saving in this circumstance still caused a significant amount of confusion
i set my inreach up to track me and send track points to the wife(and usually my two brothers) every hour. I'm pretty sure she can forward the link to someone else and they can track me too. So, she should have been able to forward the link to sar and not worry about it.

Its a good piece of mind to have on you when you're exploring. I give the wife a general idea of where I'm going and let her know when I shut the tracking off

Bugle M In
09-20-2018, 09:53 AM
funny thing came to mind.
I am fascinated with the ocean, and would love to be a snorkeler/spear fisher and surfer.
Seen Jaws, and I rarely go in past the knees...lol

then you take my dad, hunts exclusively alone, and if there is even a gutpile in the vicinity, and is believed to be taken
by another hunter/go, he just "has to" go check it out!!!
Crazy guy, with very little fear!
Worse now, cause his "hearing has gone to shit"....lol

mpotzold
09-20-2018, 10:26 AM

Hunted many times alone since the 60’s.

Some pointers
-don’t be cheap on equipment/gear including footwear & clothes….get the best quality if possible.

-be prepared for the worst such as inclement weather, accident, medical problem, vehicle breakdown….

-let others know where you’re going & what your general plans are

-be equipped with a Spot & a sat. phone . Having a Garmin GPS helps.

-use flagging to mark a trail from a kill site or when hunting in swampy or bushy areas.

-carry a small packsack containing emergency food, juice/water, first aid, space blankets, rope/shoelaces, flagging tape, Bic lighters, small flashlight, waterproof/windproof matches, extra batteries, extra ammo, toilet paper…

-carry a smaller hatchet, large knife & a sharpener

-forget about camo. Wear hunter orange vest &/or jacket & hat.

Personally I wouldn’t rely on bear spray to save your ass. Just recently 2 people were killed & many, many more have been badly mauled over the years after spraying bears.
Yes the bear spray saved the day but ½ of my face is missing!:mrgreen:
-loud yelling at the bear or using a loud whistle may help(been there done that).

-Camera/video camera optional

Arctic Lake
09-20-2018, 11:48 AM

How did that confusion happen ? Could someone explain ? How is it that the wife's coordinates were for a location in Hope ? Or am I reading this wrong ?
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
09-20-2018, 11:53 AM
Hunted many times alone since the 60’s.

Some pointers
-don’t be cheap on equipment/gear including footwear & clothes….get the best quality if possible.

-be prepared for the worst such as inclement weather, accident, medical problem, vehicle breakdown….

-let others know where you’re going & what your general plans are

-be equipped with a Spot & a sat. phone . Having a Garmin GPS helps.

-use flagging to mark a trail from a kill site or when hunting in swampy or bushy areas.

-carry a small packsack containing emergency food, juice/water, first aid, space blankets, rope/shoelaces, flagging tape, Bic lighters, small flashlight, waterproof/windproof matches, extra batteries, extra ammo, toilet paper…

-carry a smaller hatchet, large knife & a sharpener

-forget about camo. Wear hunter orange vest &/or jacket & hat.

Personally I wouldn’t rely on bear spray to save your ass. Just recently 2 people were killed & many, many more have been badly mauled over the years after spraying bears.
Yes the bear spray saved the day but ½ of my face is missing!:mrgreen:
-loud yelling at the bear or using a loud whistle may help(been there done that).

-Camera/video camera optional

Mpotzold : I actually met a fella who was attacked by a Grizzly and did have half his face removed . Although healed as best it could have it was not a pretty sight. I think he and his girlfriend or wife had been attacked while hiking . Felt for him !
Arctic Lake

KevB
09-20-2018, 12:01 PM
How did that confusion happen ? Could someone explain ? How is it that the wife's coordinates were for a location in Hope ? Or am I reading this wrong ?
Arctic Lake

Sounds like the inreach operator gave them the wrong coordinates

mpotzold
09-20-2018, 02:06 PM
Mpotzold : I actually met a fella who was attacked by a Grizzly and did have half his face removed . Although healed as best it could have it was not a pretty sight. I think he and his girlfriend or wife had been attacked while hiking . Felt for him !
Arctic Lake

Good to know! Any more detail?

Warning-extremely graphic-not for the ones with a weak stomach:mrgreen:
Man Survives Bear Attack but Loses Face
http://americanshootingjournal.com/man-survives-bear-attack-but-loses-face/

Arctic Lake
09-20-2018, 03:17 PM

Mpotzold . The fella I mentioned : It was in the 80's that the fella came to our work I believe selling Disability and Life Insurance Sorry that's all I can recall . Again, I felt for the poor guy !

The story you have shared is horrific ! Man what a survivor this guy is ! When did that happen could not find a date ? Let's all be safe out there when hunting .Everyone have a safe hunting season !
Arctic Lake

mpotzold
09-20-2018, 05:43 PM
Mpotzold . The fella I mentioned : It was in the 80's that the fella came to our work I believe selling Disability and Life Insurance Sorry that's all I can recall . Again, I felt for the poor guy !

The story you have shared is horrific ! Man what a survivor this guy is ! When did that happen could not find a date ? Let's all be safe out there when hunting .Everyone have a safe hunting season !
Arctic Lake

Thanks for the quick response.
The guy without a face was attacked in May, 2011.

ajr5406
09-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Wow, THAT was graphic.

avadad
09-22-2018, 02:24 AM
I usually hunt alone, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Jordan f.
09-22-2018, 08:56 AM
I'm definitely a social hunter. I love getting off work and the boys all meeting up, loading a truck up with gear....lunch back at camp....sitting around a campfire.... sharing successful moments. For me personally, it's better with friends. But it's gotta be the right people.

With all that said. If you are competent and comfortable in the outdoors. Nothing wrong with going solo!. I go out scouting solo sometimes. And it can be nice getting some time to really be alone. Just always play it safe. You got no one to bail you out. So sometimes you'll have to let an animal walk, that you might have taken with a couple buddies around.

As mentioned abunch. Inreach is worth the money. Solo or with friends.

RackStar
09-22-2018, 09:39 AM
This thread went from hunting solo.... to grizzly bear attacks???
There’s usually 5-6 bears behind every other tree...

Jordan f.
09-22-2018, 10:11 AM
This thread went from hunting solo.... to grizzly bear attacks???
There’s usually 5-6 bears behind every other tree...

Bears are an odd animal. Kinda like sharks. The odds of one actually killing you are incredibly low. But some people can't help but let it get to them. I lived in Australia for a short time and a guy I knew, would go out every weekend to the city, do random drugs with strangers and party all night.... but wouldn't swim in the ocean because "there's sharks in there mate! I'm not trying to die!".

Bears are there. They hopefully always will be. Be smart and the odds are in your favor. Hunting solo.. be extra careful...especially once the animal is down and the knife comes out...

Luka77
09-22-2018, 10:31 AM
funny thing came to mind.
I am fascinated with the ocean, and would love to be a snorkeler/spear fisher and surfer.
Seen Jaws, and I rarely go in past the knees...lol

then you take my dad, hunts exclusively alone, and if there is even a gutpile in the vicinity, and is believed to be taken
by another hunter/go, he just "has to" go check it out!!!
Crazy guy, with very little fear!
Worse now, cause his "hearing has gone to shit"....lol

Well if you are ever in Croatia I'll be happy to take you spearfishing. It seems strange but I have no fear to jump in the open water at the plateau that is 13m deep at top and has a cliff dropping to 100m deep and no land in sight for 2 miles, but I have tough time being in the BC woods alone. :)

Arctic Lake
09-23-2018, 10:59 AM
I realize there is only so much you can pack going solo but a hell of bush knife is a BK9
Arctic Lake

Vortex hunter
09-23-2018, 01:29 PM
I hunted solo when I first started years ago camped alone , and now love hunting alone .. but do enjoy company time to time . But nothing beats a long hunt when you have your dog along

mikeman20
09-27-2018, 12:40 PM
I love solo hunting. Its totally a mental game for the first day or two before you settle into it though.

Leveraction
02-14-2021, 03:20 PM
A couple of years old, but none the less.

Most of the time, I hunt and have ended up hunting alone.

I'm not a drinker, and don’t like camp full of beer cans,
Im also not a smoker, and the smell of cigarette smoke in the bush sure does advertise .
nothing against those that do smoke or drink and hunt, but it’s not for me.

get yourself a spot device, ( google that = spot device )you can send updates every hour to your family, send a link to your exact location and it has an sos button, press it twice within 1 minute and rescue is coming.
hunt smart, I recently started spending a lot of time hunting on the water and it’s a very good way of getting away from all the other hunters that don’t want to put in a serious effort to get remote, so you will likely not see anyone and will come across more game.
animals don’t think of danger coming from the water, IMHO.
play smart stay close to shore 20-30 yards, life jacket, a watertight bag for survival gear, everything in the canoe roped off, even if you tip, get to shore with your canoe, rope everything up and ashore. Have some dry kindling and a means of starting a fire if your wet, be prepared to spend the night out and as good practice, do that, spend the night out, freeze dried foods, get a mini stove, backpackers stove, 2-3 small fuel bottles, boil water, pour and eat.
if your on foot, remember your feet are your transport, take care of them, spend money on a good pair of hiking, hunting boots.
dont hunt in shoes, protect your ankles. Break them in with several hikes in non hunting season months.
if there uncomfortable, take em back, try others.
wear a hat, keep the top of your head warm.
bring a small mirror, 3”x3”, its a great signal means to a search plane.
I pack an 8 inch knife on my hip at all times, it does not come out of the holder, it’s not a hunting knife.
it’s a protection knife if I can’t get to my gun,
if I’m Fortunate enough to harvest an animal, it’s a 3-4 inch blade in my backpack for that.
I also pack some bear spray
buy a can of bear spray, go into the woods, make sure your upwind and discharge the bear spray at a stump 15 feet away and see how it works and what it does, then you will know how to rely on it, if you have to.
keep the wind in your face if you can.
if your returning to a kill site for a 2nd or 3rd round of packing meat out, stay back and watch it for a few minutes before you walk in close
You will do fine

Trapper
02-14-2021, 03:38 PM
Sounds like you did pretty good on your own

HarryToolips
02-14-2021, 04:09 PM
Well said Lever, many good bits of info there, I too hunt about 2/3 of the time alone, carry a SPOT, and carry all survival gear on me including a stove, fire starters etc....My protection blade on me at all times is a 6" blade, and for the mirror my primary compass has one...I also recommend learning how to use a compass/the sun for navigation....

Downwindtracker2
02-14-2021, 04:23 PM
I backpacked alone, my friends were more interested in partying in the city. So when I started hunting, I did the same. They say finding good hunting partners is harder than finding good wives. It might be true. But when you are alone. remember watch your step, do it wrong and it could be your last.

Leveraction
02-14-2021, 05:20 PM
Thanks Harry,
made a few mistakes over the years, so nothing like first hand experience. ....lol
the compass is very very sound advice for the born after mid 80’s group, as the reliance on electronic has taken away the ability to rely on self taught knowledge.

Arctic Lake
02-14-2021, 05:39 PM
Some very good information ! I have hunted by canoe but how do you keep your firearm from going to the bottom if you flip . Do they make flotation devices for rifles . As you would usually have it out of the case when cruising the shoreline Arctic Lake

Im also not a smoker, and the smell of cigarette smoke in the bush sure does advertise .

get yourself a spot device, ( google that = spot device )you can send updates every hour to your family, send a link to your exact location and it has an sos button, press it twice within 1 minute and rescue is coming.
hunt smart, I recently started spending a lot of time hunting on the water and it’s a very good way of getting away from all the other hunters that don’t want to put in a serious effort to get remote, so you will likely not see anyone and will come across more game.
play smart stay close to shore 20-30 yards, life jacket, a watertight bag for survival gear, everything in the canoe roped off, even if you tip, get to shore with your canoe, rope everything up and ashore. Have some dry kindling and a means of starting a fire if your wet, be prepared to spend the night out and as good practice, do that, spend the night out, freeze dried foods, get a mini stove, backpackers stove, 2-3 small fuel bottles, boil water, pour and eat.
if your on foot, remember your feet are your transport, take care of them, spend money on a good pair of hiking, hunting boots.
dont hunt in shoes, protect your ankles. Break them in with several hikes in non hunting season months.
I pack an 8 inch knife on my hip at all times, it does not come out of the holder, it’s not a hunting knife.
if I’m Fortunate enough to harvest an animal, it’s a 3-4 inch blade in my backpack for that.
buy a can of bear spray, go into the woods, make sure your upwind and discharge the bear spray at a stump 15 feet away and see how it works and what it does, then you will know how to rely on it, if you have to.
if your returning to a kill site for a 2nd or 3rd round of packing meat out, stay back and watch it for a few minutes before you walk in close
You will do fine

Downwindtracker2
02-14-2021, 06:46 PM
I too have hunted from a canoe. The answer of course, is the Canoe Rifle . The best Canoe Rifles were designed to work the mud of Flanders, a little swim is nothing compared to the trenches. Mine is a P-17, but a Mauser 98 would be just as good, no flies on the handloaded 8x57. Tradex has others that would work. A lanyard keeps track of the rifle. These battle rifles tear apart and dry out easily .I had a old Bushnell Scopechief on it, it didn't leak but the cross laid on the bottom of the tube after it's river voyage. I had a spare scope. But finding a target to resight in was a problem. Weaver mounts and rings are a big plus. Oh Bushnell warrantied it with a Legend .

Arctic Lake
02-14-2021, 06:53 PM
Have to look into a P17 never heard of one !
Arctic Lake

I too have hunted from a canoe. The answer of course, is the Canoe Rifle . The best Canoe Rifles were designed to work the mud of Flanders, a little swim is nothing compared to the trenches. Mine is a P-17, but a Mauser 98 would be just as good, no flies on the handloaded 8x57. Tradex has others that would work. A lanyard keeps track of the rifle. These battle rifles tear apart and dry out easily .I had a old Bushnell Scopechief on it, it didn't leak but the cross laid on the bottom of the tube after it's river voyage. I had a spare scope. But finding a target to resight in was a problem. Weaver mounts and rings are a big plus. Oh Bushnell warrantied it with a Legend .

Downwindtracker2
02-14-2021, 08:30 PM
Oh dear, so you have never heard of them, eh. That was the wrong thing to say to me.

After the Boer War, The Brits realized the hard way the advantages of a modern 7mm cartridge and a Mauser type rifle. So they designed one. It came out in 1913, it had problem with with the British chemical industry's attempt at a high power powder, it fouled. Britain wisely decided not to change it's cartridge, the 303, with war on the horizon. But in 1914 it needed rifles and got Remington and Winchester to make the new rifle, now called the Pattern of 1914 for the 303. When US entered the war, they needed rifles and modified the P-14 for the 30.06 It became the Model of 1917 and their main battle rifle. Many more were made and used than the Springfield. So the P-17 is a 30.06 . It's a well made rifle using the same steel alloy as the pre-war Model 70 Winchester. Basically, I wanted a cheap 30.06 for a Canoe Rifle. I think I paid $100 , maybe less.

mpotzold
02-14-2021, 11:31 PM

You will do fine

Personally I would never rely on bear spray in stopping an attack while camping, hunting…..

We do have some at campsites to ward off curious bears & other larger mammals.
Never used it to find out if it repels any animal.

Only once had a large cougar approach the camper to about 25 feet away loudly growling & screaming. We were just having dinner(smoked pork chops…) Reached for the double-barrelled 12 g & shot above its head. It quickly ran away never to be seen again.
Didn’t have any bear spray that time.

I’m a firm believer that bear spray will unlikely prevent a predatory &/or defensive bear attack & may or may not stop a curious bear, be it grizz or blackie.

Here’s a couple of the most recent of many, many examples where spray failed.

1) On 29 July, 2020, Daniel Schilling went to clear trail about a mile from his cabin in Alaska. His dog returned home without him. His wife was very concerned. Searchers found his body, killed by a bear, where he was working. An empty can of bear spray, with the safety off, which had been discharged at the site, was also found.
Unfortunately he didn’t carry a weapon although being an avid hunter.

2) An unprovoked predatory attack.

Aug. 20, 2020, 44-year-old Stephanie Blais was attacked & killed by a up to 300 lbs. black bear in Sask. while on a satellite phone on call with her dad.
At the time, Curtis, her husband was in the cabin’s kitchen washing dishes. Through the kitchen window about 30 m. away, he saw the bear on top of SB. Curtis rushed outside and pepper sprayed the bear, but this only aggravated him. Dashing back into the cabin, he grabbed a rifle and shot the bear twice, killing him.(too much time wasted)

Conservation officers said that a necropsy of the bear found it had a stomach full of blueberries – meaning the attack was predatory not defensive.
https://cottagelife.com/general/saskatchewan-woman-killed-in-black-bear-attack/

Treed
02-15-2021, 12:48 AM
I have sprayed black-bears with bear spray. For it to be really effective, you need to about 3 m from the bear and hit it directly in the face. I’ve watched one do a somersault and run into a tree trying to get away. 5 m out and you are not getting a good enough hit. I’m not allowed to carry a gun for work, so this is all I have in the bush (and a belt knife). I carry a big can of the spray. Would it work on a predatory grizz, no idea. Will it work all the time? Probably not. I think, but don’t have proof, that a lot of ‘failures’ are due to people spraying too early. The closest I have been was just over a metre. That was the one that somersaulted and hit the tree. He was totally blinded. Not a big bear by any means. Beats not having anything!

Treed
02-15-2021, 12:58 AM
Oh yeah, I do hunt alone. Best way to hunt in my opinion but you do have to keep your head on a swivel if you get an animal down and watch for bears coming in. I lost a deer a two years ago to a black bear, small deer and a big bear in an area closed to bears (Queen Charlotte’s). That was a heart stopper.

REMINGTON JIM
02-15-2021, 08:21 AM
Inform people of your planned location. Update using inreach or cell phone.

Oh and don't LOSE your Gate KEY ! :tongue: lol RJ

Piperdown
02-16-2021, 08:05 AM
Oh and don't LOSE your Gate KEY ! :tongue: lol RJ

RJ you're killing me :wink:

Ghilliesuit
02-17-2021, 04:43 PM
Look on bright side.....nobody to debate over hunt plan and direction with....nobody to drink your last beer.....and nobody stinking up your truck..LOL Go have fun. Follow the advice above. Also GPS, compass, headlight, lighter, extra snacks, TP, water flagging ribbon, tarp and thin rope are handy items in your pack if don’t already have them and heading out for a walk around. Ease into it. Recommend starting out by checking out edges of 3-6 year old cut blocks with broken terrain. Look for fresh sign and game trails around edges of blocks etc and find a good vantage point where you can get concealed and can wait/watch in the eve. Headlamp and GPS will come in handy once it gets dark for walk back to truck. Have fun
I'd add to that; InReach or Spot.

When I go out for an hour or a week, I generally, alone or accompanied, bring my hunting pack. With all the above, plus binos, calls, spotting scope, raingear, tyvek suit, game bags, sharpening stone, extra ammo and another knife. On the pack shoulder strap I ductape my Buck 120 and a sleeping mat up top. The pack protects my neck and head from stealth hunters that attack from the rear. (Mature aspen and ponderosa pine or 20/60yr mixed fir/spruce, every time, all the time.) When hunting, scouting or some fishing; when I get out of the truck for more than a quick look, I am locked and loaded.

I also don't "check out" ravens flying over head, bluejay squawks, grunts, growls, fish smells or known bear fishing spots.

When I set-up for a blind, I build something up to the rear of the blind to warn me of approaching trouble.

Sometimes, a "quick look" can get away from you. That's why I have a Buck 103 on my belt and a headlamp and compass in my pocket.

Redthies
02-17-2021, 05:54 PM
When I go out for an hour or a week, I generally, alone or accompanied, bring my hunting pack. With all the above, plus binos, calls, spotting scope, raingear, TYVEK SUIT, game bags, sharpening stone, extra ammo and another knife.

On the pack shoulder strap I ductape my Buck 120.

Sometimes, a "quick look" can get away from you. That's why I have a Buck 103 on my belt and a headlamp and compass in my pocket.

Whats the tyvek suit for? I get bugged all the time for having my pack with me even for short walks. Like you, I have seen short walks take many hours to complete. I keep a fixed blade Kershaw strapped inverted on my bino harness so I can get to it easily if I have to.

My wife also used to bug me about taking the .45-70 carbine with me any time we are in the bush. We went for a New Year’s Day walk along the north end of the Lilloet River and after a couple of kms had a set of tracks in the snow in front of us. They had angled in on to the road. I wasn’t thinking bear in snow in January, but after a few paces I looked down and saw med sized grizzly tracks, and looked a few yards further ahead and saw the still steaming spray of shit. She no longer asks me why I bother to bring a gun in the woods.

Ghilliesuit
02-17-2021, 06:37 PM
Ever the optimist, I carry the Tyvek suit if I have to field butcher my harvest or sno-camo. I pack for the trip. If I am going on an evening 2hr blind hunt that I have already scouted that's different than an all day hunt which is different from a 3+ day camp and stalk.

Redthies
02-17-2021, 07:29 PM
Ahh. I just carry a pair of latex gloves for field butchering;)

MRP
02-17-2021, 08:22 PM
The only problem I've had with hunting by myself is when sitting at the campfire.
I've heard all the stories before.

wideopenthrottle
02-17-2021, 08:46 PM
The mornings are best to be adventurous and explore ... the reason being if for some reason something goes sideways you have the rest of the day to get things straightened out ... for later in the day until you get more comfortable find a vantage point ... a cut or some place you know well and sit and watch knowing how far your camp is .... leave the ugly areas for the morning ... : )

that is great advice that i do too when on my own...any new or distant locations are for morning hunts...i tend to stick closer to defined areas for the evening hunts...like pushing through an area that comes out on a road so that you can easily walk back on the road in the dark for example or only going a few hundred yards into the bush before turning to parallel the road for a km or 2

scoutlt1
02-17-2021, 11:01 PM
The only problem I've had with hunting by myself is when sitting at the campfire.
I've heard all the stories before.

I had the same issue for a while. Then I just started to lie to myself. :-)

Deer_Slayer
02-20-2021, 05:26 PM
Read the advice given here. I have learned over the years that even when I hunted with another guy it was still like I was by myself. If you find a reliable and stand up person to hunt with then do your best to keep that guy. I seem to pick nothing but duds to hunt with.