PDA

View Full Version : Got Orca'd!!

Islandeer
09-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Just got back from a wild week on the west coast of the Queen Charlottes. Apart from great fishing for fiesty springs and coho,we had a " life " experiance with a very large,fast and apparantly pissed off Orca! The morning started with a stiff South wind coming at us blowing a steady 25 knots,which made things a little lumpy. But we were on some fish and weren't going anywhere. With a nice chinook in the box we were watching rod tips,waiting for the next hit, the port rod started thumping along with the rigger, my son grabbed the rod the instant a rather large orca came zooming bythe side of the boat,like right on the gunnel! It was caught in the rigger line and for an instant the boat was shifting in the wrong kind of way. the rigger arm then twisted and pretzeled,and the cable snapped. The Orca then dove under the bow and came up and twisted around and then shot off towards us again at warp speed!! That was it, we all looked at each other, what the F... just happened!! Amazing,explosive,and unpredictable,just another wild and wolley day fishing off the Charlottes!!!

lip_ripper00
09-03-2007, 09:55 PM
any pictures?:biggrin: Wow that would get the mojo going!!!!

Islandeer
09-03-2007, 10:15 PM
No pics, everything came way too fast,it was over in a blink. We had also seen some freakin big blue and salmon sharks on this trip which ate a few of our fish. Another boat fought a shark for over an hour before breaking off. Someone needs to invent a camera that hooks up to your vision somehow...

Gateholio
09-03-2007, 10:42 PM
it's stuff like that that has always made me believe that coastal fishing is more fun tan any other type!:lol:

I've been to the QCI a few times, first time was wehn we kayaked through them. Of the 7 of us, myself and another ALWAYS trolled a line.

Imagine our suprise when Orcas surfaced next to us, and one of us snagged them!:eek: I think they are far too smart to actually bite on a herring, but they do run into lines.

Nothing like orcas surfacign rigth by you. Has happened to me in kayaks and sailboats. Beautiful..

That must have been a hell of an experience!!:eek:

Wildman
09-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Ive been in a 12' aluminum, no motor, just ores and I have had a large male head right at me, dive under the boat, turn and look at me as he passed under the boat. Talk about getting the blood pump. Wow! Oh yeah, no fish! My buddie was up from Vancouver and we were camping. That made his day!

dawn2dusk
09-04-2007, 08:58 AM
About 10 yrs ago, I was all geared up in scuba and walking backwards into the water in a little bay in Sannich Inlet. WE used to spear ling cod there. It was a beatiful calm day sunny not a breath of wind. I all of a sudden got an errie feeling and noticed a ripple on the water. I was chest deep and turned just as the orcs exhaled. It was like 4 ft behind me. My dry suit became wet and i left my flippers where the were and sprinted out of the water. Scared the crap out of me. BUddy who was on beach just howled. I have been spooked at that spot ever since. Although not allowed to spearfish there anymore anyways.

Mr. Dean
09-04-2007, 09:41 AM
That's what keeps us coming back. It's tough to beat a salt water expedition!