PDA

View Full Version : 10 Years From Now......

Cyrus
08-31-2018, 07:07 PM
Where do you see the state of hunting in BC in 10 years? Climate change...forest fires...increased predators...FN politics...firearms politics....the Greenpeacers...Do you think your children will be hunting when they are your age??

LYKTOHUNT
08-31-2018, 07:34 PM
It sickens me to say I dont think they will be able hunt anywhere unless they pay guides or FN, that is if they make enough money in a country with no industry

Jordan f.
08-31-2018, 08:00 PM
I think hunting needs to adapt to a 2018 world in order to survive. I don't know what that adaption will be. I think us younger hunters need to figure that out (even if a few of the older generations don't care for it). Maybe it's inplace right now...slowly unraveling. I hope so.

leadpillproductions
08-31-2018, 08:28 PM
Pretty sure ill be moving if it comes to what I think its going to .

Boner
08-31-2018, 08:30 PM
I think hunting needs to adapt to a 2018 world in order to survive. I don't know what that adaption will be. I think us younger hunters need to figure that out (even if a few of the older generations don't care for it). Maybe it's inplace right now...slowly unraveling. I hope so.

As a younger hunter, what kind of an adaptation that needs to take place that you think that a few older hunters might not like?

RugDoctor
08-31-2018, 08:41 PM
10 years and it'll be a world you wouldn't recognize today. Hunting won't be a pastime, it'll be a means of survival. Both for food, and self preservation. Might take a bit more than 10 years, and that's good....more prep time.

steel_ram
08-31-2018, 09:07 PM
We were saying this 10 years ago. We are still hunting today. When the vaccuming boomers are all dead, things will only get better. ;)

Sick of whining about predators. Predators don't thrive if there is nothing to eat.

Blainer
08-31-2018, 09:07 PM
It’s obviously trending in a poor direction.
10 years will see mass immigration and many political changes within the country and unfortunately our way of life and providing is under jeopardy.
Hunters are the BIGGEST contributors to conservation, until this is recognized, the health of current populations of wildlife are under the same jeopardy.
Emotins, not Science will inevitably be the demise of future species.

sockbot
08-31-2018, 09:30 PM
I think the biggest threat to hunting is the destruction of carrying capacity we are doing to the habitats of these animals and fish. Every year it seems there's another pressure that permanently reduces the carrying capacity of the land, like the Mt. Polley tailings pond disaster or the annual heat records being set.

HarryToolips
08-31-2018, 09:55 PM
^^^^or developemnt on critical winter range, just see the okanagan....

To protect hunting and our rights to hunt, I think we need a stronger voice, someone please create an organization that will represent resident hunters, stop paying your dues to the BCWF and pay it to the new organization everyone....I wish I had the knowledge and the time to start such an organization..

An organization that will promote and educate people on the North American conservation model..

fuzzybiscuit
09-01-2018, 06:45 AM
It sickens me to say I dont think they will be able hunt anywhere unless they pay guides or FN, that is if they make enough money in a country with no industry

Bingo. I’d add that while those guides may not be aboriginal the owners of those guiding companies will be.

I take every opportunity to sit in the front of the bus now because some time in the not too distant future my skin colour will only be getting me a seat on the back of that bus...

Some will say that the present movement is only trying to make everyone equal. You don’t have to look far to see many examples, especially where hunting and fishing are concerned, where that is not true.

Jordan f.
09-01-2018, 07:12 AM
As a younger hunter, what kind of an adaptation that needs to take place that you think that a few older hunters might not like?

Your guess is as good as mine at this point haha

I do think the "Meat Eater / Steven Rinella" image could be it. I hear a lot of older guys complaining about instagram hunters, cool camo, BHA being a "green decoy" etc.... but a lot of these things are easier for the normal person to swallow and understand. I have multiple friends who like Meat Eater who don't hunt, they think First Lite and Kuiu look cool, and respect what BHA stands for. They enjoy that I post 100x more "Trophy Country" photos from my hunts, then dead animals. I think hunting will stick around. But it really is on us (the younger hunters) to figure what adaptions need to take place, and when to put our feet down and say "no". It's going to be tough walking that fence.

decker9
09-01-2018, 09:31 AM
Pretty sure ill be moving if it comes to what I think its going to .

100% my thoughts to. I will fight for what we have until the end, but the day we loose it all, and I do believe we will, in one way or another, I won’t plan on hanging around. But by then, will the rest of the world be the same way?

I miss the younger days.

tigrr
09-01-2018, 01:25 PM
Well if our gov gives all the Cariboo district to the fn's I'll be moving too. Just hope my place will be worth something when I sell.

dakoda62
09-01-2018, 01:55 PM
If Horgan, and the fed liberals remain in power, it will be doomed as above guides and indians.

sockbot
09-01-2018, 04:23 PM
While it is a common sentiment that the BC NDP is anti hunting, I don't think it's that straightforward. I see on this bill from Andrew Weaver to reduce quotas for non resident hunter's in favor of us resident hunter's, there is a lot of NDP support and of BCL opposition.

http://www.andrewweavermla.ca/2017/03/06/standing-resident-hunters-foreign-trophy-hunters/

Bchunt
09-01-2018, 04:37 PM
We don't realize how bad things are. Look back ten years and see the change from then to now. Expect the same or greater rate of change going forward. In the past ten years, I challenge you to come up with five positive things for resident hunters. Increased seasons? Open seasons instead of LEH? Increased bag limits? On the flip side, I bet we can come up with five negatives for hunters just this past year.

we don't realize how bad it is becoming because we are in the middle of it. Slow chipping away of our opportunities means we forget how good it was as each reduction becomes the new normal. We for get about the last one. Or the one before it. We have the new normal and are soon worrying about another reduction somewhere else. An example of this is the griz hunt. It's banning is our new normal and the passion is already starting to fade. The current issue is Reg 5 hunt restrictions. And mule deer bag limits. And access to burned areas.

If you were here here ten years ago, and then came back today, you would ask what the hell happened. It will be even worse the next ten years.

We are like classic experiment of the frog in the pot of water. If you put the frog in a pot of water and slowly increase the heat you can cook him and he won't struggle at all. Yet if you preheat the water and drop the frog in he will strive to escape.

our water is getting hotter.

Arctic Lake
09-02-2018, 10:32 AM
^^^^or developemnt on critical winter range, just see the okanagan....

To protect hunting and our rights to hunt, I think we need a stronger voice, someone please create an organization that will represent resident hunters, stop paying your dues to the BCWF and pay it to the new organization everyone....I wish I had the knowledge and the time to start such an organization..

An organization that will promote and educate people on the North American conservation model..

Harry I see this come up a lot ! There must be intelligent people within B.C. that could make this happen. I think they know who they are but are worried that it just might be too much work. Hope those people step up and we support them !
Arctic Lake

downsouth204
09-02-2018, 11:35 AM
Hunting in 10 years will be what we make it, starting with each of us right now.
For myself, I'm working at hunting respectfully, so I'm only taking what I need and respecting nature and the land where I hunt.
Respecting other hunters... if I see a vehicle or a hunter in a specific area, I move on to someplace else that day, or give them as much space as possible, something my folks taught me.
Respecting people in my hunting area who are non hunters, give them space, be friendly... say hello, I'm the representative for all hunters in how I behave.
Making sure I have the skill and equipment needed, and hunting within the boundaries of that skill and equipment. Is this a respectful shot, am I confident I can make it? Having faith that if I pass on a questionable shot, a better opportunity will come along....

If we're worried about what the powers that be and misinformed tree hugger's might do to hunting?..... lets remove all their reasons to have anything to do with regulating hunting by behaving in a manner that leaves them no reason for criticism. We only have governments and enforcement because there is a belief that we can't act appropriately on our own, it's time to change that.
Educate the people around you who don't hunt and set an example they can respect and understand.

Just my two cents after two cups of coffee, moving on to number three...

chilko
09-02-2018, 12:07 PM
I appreciate the thoughts on being a respectful hunter , however , essentially closing black bear hunting on haida gwaii, banning grizzly hunting, reducing mule deer seasons, closing vast areas to non first nations hunters , increased road closures and meat retrieval changes that favor guide outfitters over the joe average resident have nothing to do with how we conduct ourselves. It is a systematic erosion of our priveleges by gov't and special interest groups .

stosto
09-02-2018, 12:21 PM
A lot of whining and bitching, which is unfortunately what i come to expect on here.

Things change and hunting is no different. There is a long history of game reduction or eradication attributed to humans. I actually think hunting restriction are good, because self regulation does not work.

I am a new hunter and dont have the answers. But i think we need to be okey and even encourage temporary closures so that game population have a chance to recover. Land management could also be imroved.

Beachcomber
09-02-2018, 12:25 PM
One good piece of news for waterfowlers has been the Environment Canada decision to argue against the Roberts Bank port expansion (https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/environment-canada-strikes-potential-death-blow-to-ports-2b-container-expansion-at-roberts-bank). The impact of this project on sandpiper populations was the focus of their objections but many have cited the dangers of building this out at the mouth of one of the world's most prolific salmon rivers, the impact on migratory birds and the impact of increased shipping traffic on local killer whale populations. I expect there will be pressure from the dog walkers and bird watchers to close the Brunswick and other areas to shooting, especially as the surrounding areas becomes less a farming/fishing community and more a yuppie commuting suburb, but this is one threat that may have been thwarted...at least for now.

chilko
09-02-2018, 12:34 PM
A lot of whining and bitching, which is unfortunately what i come to expect on here.

Things change and hunting is no different. There is a long history of game reduction or eradication attributed to humans. I actually think hunting restriction are good, because self regulation does not
I am a new hunter and dont have the answers. But i think we need to be okey and even encourage temporary closures so that game population have a chance to recover. Land management could also be imroved.

Give me an example of a species in BC that has been eradicated by recreational hunters

HarryToolips
09-02-2018, 01:41 PM

Things change and hunting is no different. There is a long history of game reduction or eradication attributed to humans. I actually think hunting restriction are good, because self regulation does not work.

Regulated hunting is most often not detrimental to game populations.....factors such as hard winters, habitat loss, predation, unregulated hunting etc have far more detrimental impacts to game populations..

HarryToolips
09-02-2018, 01:46 PM
Harry I see this come up a lot ! There must be intelligent people within B.C. that could make this happen. I think they know who they are but are worried that it just might be too much work. Hope those people step up and we support them !
Arctic Lake
I have a brother who can make webpages, if anyone knows where to start, let me know if a webpage would be a help to start a new Resident hunters of BC organization.....

Keta1969
09-02-2018, 01:52 PM
I think there is a tendency for hunters to think they are not part of the problem. Hunting should be a simple pleasurable pastime. I've tried not to get caught up in the advertising hype or keep up with the Jones's in regards to what we think we need to be a successful hunter. In 45 years I've gone from a 2 wheel drive pickup to a 4x4 and a 3x9x40 leupold(which was considered the standard to strive for back then) to a 2.5 x10x42 Leica.Tried some hunting clothes but have gone back to wool and rain gear(cheap and it works). Boots and a pack have worked well for me. Not knocking the way others hunt but hunting and gear have changed a lot and rules come in (especially regarding access) to counter-act newer technology. We need to be aware that some of the things that are marketed towards us can impact the the habitat and environment of the animals in negative ways. I don't really like the direction we are headed, 10 years from now I'm sure thermal imagers, smart bullets,longer long range rigs are all possibilities. Again I'm not knocking anyone that wants to use this stuff but it will result in more rules and more regulations.