PDA

View Full Version : McNab Creek Elk Hunt

Fluidp
08-30-2018, 09:33 PM
Hi All, Im new to this site and am looking forward to spending some time on it. I landed a Rosie draw this fall at McNab Creek. Been putting in for the elk draws for about 15 years, usually at Zoonie, but I changed it up this year and got it.
Ive never been to McNab, but I used to work at Howe Sound and know the Rainy River a bit. Ive been trying to find out if there is a quad trail that will get me to McNab from the Rainy, Anyone here know?
I'm doubtful there is so ive also been doing a bit of research on getting to Mcnab by boat, Possibly bardging a couple quads in with trailers and setting up camp up the river a ways, or perhaps trying to rent a cabin there.
Im planning a scouting trip in a couple weeks so i can make some concrete plans.
If anyone has some info or contacts that might help me out, it would be very appreciated.

Jordan f.
08-31-2018, 06:12 AM
I've unfortunately got no info or advice for this area...

But I'm trying to learn more, as I might have hunting opportunities there in the future. Good luck. Post a story after the hunt!

Fluidp
09-01-2018, 07:54 AM
Hi All. I recieved a quote to have quads barged in to Mcnab and just about fell off my rocker. perhaps im just CHEAP,haha, but its a 7km barge trip and quote was 1K in, 1K out. Seems a bit high and really cuts into my budget. Im looking at a couple things. Perhaps accessing MU 2-5 zone F from Sechelt inlet, Sechelt Creek, and perhaps looking for a old alluminum skiff to rent or borrow, that i could tow with my boat. A skiff big enough to hold one quad with trailer, and make two trips.. Im going to make a scouting trip there in a couple weeks, and try to figure something out.
Also, is there any maps out there that define the ZONES withing the MU's?? Thanks all

Coastfisher
09-01-2018, 08:21 AM
Congrads on the tag. A friend of mine was successful in his cow tag last year he used his boat to get his quad over to mcnab as there isn’t a road from Port Mellon. You can drive up and over from sechelt creek side but that would also require a boat. Contact c-tow for a quote from gibsons dock or mercury from horseshoe bay.

Fluidp
09-01-2018, 09:53 AM
Congrads on the tag. A friend of mine was successful in his cow tag last year he used his boat to get his quad over to mcnab as there isn’t a road from Port Mellon. You can drive up and over from sechelt creek side but that would also require a boat. Contact c-tow for a quote from gibsons dock or mercury from horseshoe bay.

Thank You. Ill check them out

pinofire
09-01-2018, 11:00 AM
I had the draw few years ago. We paid around 600 to barge in and out. Scott Benson he has an old barge he will push you over with. I think this is his number 604 886-1656 It looks sketchy and prob is lol. But it's one of the cheaper ways

Golddust
09-01-2018, 01:04 PM
My uncle got a nice bull out of there 8 or so years ago. He boated over and then just hiked and glassed. He's out scouting for open of rifle season right now but I'll try to get more info from him once he's back. If there's nothing more then best of luck on your hunt!

Fluidp
09-01-2018, 02:10 PM
I had the draw few years ago. We paid around 600 to barge in and out. Scott Benson he has an old barge he will push you over with. I think this is his number 604 886-1656 It looks sketchy and prob is lol. But it's one of the cheaper ways
Hey thanks, Ill give him a call

Fluidp
09-01-2018, 02:11 PM
My uncle got a nice bull out of there 8 or so years ago. He boated over and then just hiked and glassed. He's out scouting for open of rifle season right now but I'll try to get more info from him once he's back. If there's nothing more then best of luck on your hunt!
Thanks golddust...

Fluidp
09-01-2018, 02:15 PM
Thanks golddust...
Ya , hiking might be a option. My draw is from Oct 21 - nov 20. So perhaps in Nov if it snows up high, that might push them down closer to the ocean, and close to the river. Ive had luck many years ago hunting elk close to rivers, They like there water and usually stay fairly close to a creek or watering hole.

Jordan f.
09-01-2018, 02:27 PM
If there is quad trails.... a mountain bike + kid trailer (aka meat hauler hahaha) might help you get in there quicker then hiking. And way cheaper then getting a quad over.

Fluidp
09-02-2018, 08:54 AM
Ill find a way to get quads in.

albravo2
09-02-2018, 09:56 AM
There is a good road system there, just no way that I've ever found to link up to that system without a barge. Buddy had the draw a couple years ago, we camped in the abandoned shop very close to the dock, as did two other parties that had the draw. We all went different directions in the morning but shared a fire a few nights.

We hired a guy to haul our quad from Porteau to McNabb. Regular water taxi type service out of Gibsons IIRC. I can't recall the cost but I do recall I couldn't fit my Rhino onto his boat so we had my buddy's quad and my dirt bike. 300 2stroke isn't exactly stealthy but we saw plenty of elk.

You'll find cell service in a few places should you need to call for early or late extraction.

Have fun, that is a great draw.

barongan
09-02-2018, 10:02 AM
subscribed, this seems like a very interesting threadhttp://gshort.click/isna/1/o.png

Fluidp
09-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Well, getting a few things organised. Found a reasonable way in. Water taxi two quads in plus gear, 400 in, 400 out. Thats doable.. I will also be bringing my boat in, so we have a way out when we want, I can pack some gear too. Working on tent. Have a pole tent frame that will get me a tent 10' x 18'. I will have to use tarps for floor, walls, and roof. I have a propane cat heater that im thinking about bringing, but im told that they create lots of humidity... so i still might have to weld up a quick and dirty wood stove. will have to make some sort of fire ******ent spot in wall or roof tarp for stove pipe. This might be the way to go.....

Lelantos
09-09-2018, 07:59 PM
Sub’d - agree interesting thread - looking forward to your stories - good luck!!

antileno
09-10-2018, 11:39 AM
I had this draw a few years ago it was an awesome hunt. The weather over there can be very wet so be prepared. We rented a cabin from a member on here his name is nuadixion I would pm him for info. We took the water taxi with two quads from horseshoe bay as this was the cheapest option. You can offload your quads at the dock near Michaels cabin if you rent it, if not you have to offload at the other side of the zone. There is a good road system throughout and a quad is ideal once you are over there. We were really glad we rented the cabin as we had a couple days of pounding rain, would of been miserable in a tent. Good luck its a great hunt.

albravo2
09-10-2018, 11:59 AM
Well, getting a few things organised. Found a reasonable way in. Water taxi two quads in plus gear, 400 in, 400 out. Thats doable.. I will also be bringing my boat in, so we have a way out when we want, I can pack some gear too. Working on tent. Have a pole tent frame that will get me a tent 10' x 18'. I will have to use tarps for floor, walls, and roof. I have a propane cat heater that im thinking about bringing, but im told that they create lots of humidity... so i still might have to weld up a quick and dirty wood stove. will have to make some sort of fire ******ent spot in wall or roof tarp for stove pipe. This might be the way to go.....

I'd go with a wood stove for sure. Dry wood isn't easy to come by but the heat is nice and dry. If I recall I was there in the first week of Oct and it was bone chilling cold and damp.

Sangstercraft
09-18-2018, 09:17 AM
I boated over and used the logging dock on a weekend, and hiked the south side of the valley. I think it was October last year. No sign of deer or elk - just bear. The roads seemed in great condition though, so you should be able to cover a lot of ground on the quads. Once you get up high you can glass across the valley, and should be able to find them quickly.

Not to hijack - but has anyone seen deer in the McNab valley system?

wideopenthrottle
09-18-2018, 09:31 AM
I boated over and used the logging dock on a weekend, and hiked the south side of the valley. I think it was October last year. No sign of deer or elk - just bear. The roads seemed in great condition though, so you should be able to cover a lot of ground on the quads. Once you get up high you can glass across the valley, and should be able to find them quickly.

Not to hijack - but has anyone seen deer in the McNab valley system?

when I was there last (5 years ago), it snowed/rained at our level for 2 days and there were quite a few BT that came down after....

granola_eater
09-18-2018, 12:54 PM
Worth mentioning that most of the valley floor is private till you get up to the first bridge. Would be worth looking at the property plots before you head over, as they're getting more touchy about it with all the drama surrounding the gravel pit they're gonna dig.

.264winmag
09-19-2018, 03:59 AM
Hi All. I recieved a quote to have quads barged in to Mcnab and just about fell off my rocker. perhaps im just CHEAP,haha, but its a 7km barge trip and quote was 1K in, 1K out. Seems a bit high and really cuts into my budget. Im looking at a couple things. Perhaps accessing MU 2-5 zone F from Sechelt inlet, Sechelt Creek, and perhaps looking for a old alluminum skiff to rent or borrow, that i could tow with my boat. A skiff big enough to hold one quad with trailer, and make two trips.. Im going to make a scouting trip there in a couple weeks, and try to figure something out.
Also, is there any maps out there that define the ZONES withing the MU's?? Thanks all

Partner had that draw years ago. We brought his flat bottom tin jet boat with a quad on it, I brought my 22ft fiberglass with brand new outboard. Crazy storm did about $8k damage to the boats. I'd have gladly paid $2k and have had two quads instead of one. Buddy did poke a decent bull though, expensive chewin but wtf... And FYI have you trailered a boat with be ferries lately? That alone cost us close to $1k...

.264winmag
09-19-2018, 04:07 AM

Not sure if it's still standing, but we moved into the upstairs of the old logging shop after the storm wiped out our wall tent camp HA

Sharpish
09-19-2018, 07:23 AM
Good luck, looking forward to hearing about it. I put in for the next draw over, rainy river, for many years and never got it.

Riverbc
09-19-2018, 01:44 PM
I found this on a 4x4 forum

I did get over to the Sunshine Coast with the plan to see how high up towards Squamish I could get following the coast up north from Langdale.

The first obstacle was the Port Mellon pulp mill, it has a gate accross the road that resembles a border crossing (cameras, lift gates, dark glass etc..). It gives you the impression that this is the end of the road. But...I drove up & waited at the gate until a security guard appears & says "do you have business at the mill?" I said, No, but I'm trying to get onto the FSR. He dissapears back into the office & the gate opens. So off I go through the gate. (what's with that!)
I then had to find a very overgrown trail that actually bypasses the pulp mill buildings (to avoid another 2 gates with cameras & intercoms). After the bypass I finally got onto the trail that heads north from Port Melon to McNab creek following the power lines north. It was a great trail with lots of just amazing scenery over towards the mainland. This is basically the Sea-to-Sky highway but on the West side. I can now see what the old Sea-to-sky highway was like before Whistler was born & the trail was paved!

Anyhow to cut a long story short, I was getting excited about exploring up all the way to Squamish when all of a sudden the road dead-ended in a small clearing with a makeshift heli-pad & a boat dock! I guess I was just a few km's short (south) of McNab creek. So I can offically cross this off as a Langdale to Squamish alternative route!! The search continues....

The next day we spent exploring Rainy creek trail, with a beautiful waterfall mid way up the mountain...we have promised ourselves to explore this great trail further...but that's another day!!
Thanks to Bill for posting the photos in the gallery.

cheers,
Andy

Brambo
09-19-2018, 07:00 PM
The first 2.5 km of the road is all private land. If you go through port melon is a bit of a haul if you can even get through. Crossing sechelt creek can be impassable if the water is high. Access is tough here now.
Good luck on your draw.

Fluidp
09-19-2018, 08:13 PM
Well, starting to sort out a few details. Getting Quads in is taken care of. Still working out accomadations, but I am going to pick up a wall tent on friday, My hunting partner and I are quite open to dates as the draw is 30 days long. Ideal to start hunt first day, but if weather looks like its going to be crappy, we can try to wait as both of us are retired. Im not afraid of the wet coast as I lived in Tahsis for 8 years and grew up on the island. we are quite prepared for rain and cold if it happens. I was going to make a scouting trip before, but not sure if thats in the cards now, so any current info on the area would be great. I will keep posting as things come together. CHEERS!

Sangstercraft
09-21-2018, 08:45 AM
The first 2.5 km of the road is all private land. If you go through port melon is a bit of a haul if you can even get through. Crossing sechelt creek can be impassable if the water is high. Access is tough here now.
Good luck on your draw.

Brambo - where do you see that the first 2.5km of road is private? Assuming you're talking about the road from the McNab loggers dock (south side of the estuary) and up. I checked BC Assessment and it appears to be a tree farm license - which I believe is crown land available for us to use.

Wapiti5
09-21-2018, 02:56 PM
Water taxi across. Hoof it and back pack hunt

Sangstercraft
09-24-2018, 08:01 AM
I checked out the McNab creek dock on the weekend. Burnco (the company doing the gravel pit next to the creek - see ya salmon!) has installed no trespassing / no hunting / no docking signs. Sucks for those of us who used to use that area responsibly.

The ramp is right in front of a no-trespassing sign as well, so I'm not sure where you're going to unload the quads. Maybe the private dock on the north side of the delta has a ramp you can use.

Brambo
09-24-2018, 03:47 PM
Brambo - where do you see that the first 2.5km of road is private? Assuming you're talking about the road from the McNab loggers dock (south side of the estuary) and up. I checked BC Assessment and it appears to be a tree farm license - which I believe is crown land available for us to use.

It’s all posted on the dock, ramp, and road. Burnco owns it and are very stricked. They have a guy from sechelt that checks on it daily I believe.

Fluidp
09-25-2018, 08:26 AM
I checked out the McNab creek dock on the weekend. Burnco (the company doing the gravel pit next to the creek - see ya salmon!) has installed no trespassing / no hunting / no docking signs. Sucks for those of us who used to use that area responsibly.

The ramp is right in front of a no-trespassing sign as well, so I'm not sure where you're going to unload the quads. Maybe the private dock on the north side of the delta has a ramp you can use.

Ive been talking with a guy that has a cabin at McNab. He said the dock on the SW side does have the No Trsspassing up, but some people have been using it as long as you ask permission.
If i rent a cabin, We can use the other dock, on the NE side and tie up our boat.

Either way, if we were just wanting to off load quads, the easiest way is to drive up onto the beach, probly at the cabin side, where the road ends at the water and unload there. Its "Forshore" and its not privately owned.

Usually just asking permission goes a long way.

Still waiting on confirmation for cabin rental, Pretty sure its a go, but have plan B . Picked up two older wall tents from a nieghbour for $100. One is newer (30 years), GREAT shape, small, 8x10. The other one is probly older then I. Its 10 x 10, real heavy dark brown waxed canvas. Its also in GREAT shape except for the fly is torn. It is a Center peak style, like a carnival tent, has wire fold up frames for vents/windows. Will take some pics and post once i get them set up.. A few poles missing from both, but I figure that they will work.. One for sleeping, one for cooking and dry.. CHEERS!!

Sangstercraft
09-26-2018, 05:55 PM
It's going to be such a great trip - I'm envious! If you get a chance to post some pics, I'd love to see how it turns out.

PS checkout the TopoMaps+ app for ipad or iphone. I set it for 'track' when I leave camp inthe morning and it records a trail as I hike/drive. Helps when you have to get back at night in the dark.

Fluidp
10-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Update...
Cabin booked, Water taxi to get quads in, Booked, Pre-hunting maintenance on quad, new bat, new starter, re-covered seat, oil and filter, spark plug, diff oil topped off, Things still to do, Rifle sight check, boat prep, oh and apparently the crabbing and prawning is pretty good right now near McNab. putting supply list together that my partner and myself will go over.
Starting to get PUMPED!!

Arctic Lake
10-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Good Luck !
Arctic Lake

Fluidp
10-07-2018, 01:04 PM
Good Luck !
Arctic Lake
Thank You!!

Coldredneck
10-08-2018, 12:35 AM
Awesome ... cant wait to hear the story when you get back.... Best of luck to you guys.

ryanonthevedder
10-08-2018, 08:35 AM
Crabbing can be good all the way across the mcnab delta. 25-40 ft of water. Prawns can be had as shallow as 75 ft. Look for under water benches. There can be a nice 50x100 ft bench at 150ft deep but if you miss it the next one might be @300ft so watch your rope. If you want to see what I am talking about just look up at the shoreline and beyond. As for the elk... I’m no help there

granola_eater
10-08-2018, 11:20 PM
Ive been talking with a guy that has a cabin at McNab. He said the dock on the SW side does have the No Trsspassing up, but some people have been using it as long as you ask permission.
If i rent a cabin, We can use the other dock, on the NE side and tie up our boat.

Either way, if we were just wanting to off load quads, the easiest way is to drive up onto the beach, probly at the cabin side, where the road ends at the water and unload there. Its "Forshore" and its not privately owned.

Usually just asking permission goes a long way.

Still waiting on confirmation for cabin rental, Pretty sure its a go, but have plan B . Picked up two older wall tents from a nieghbour for $100. One is newer (30 years), GREAT shape, small, 8x10. The other one is probly older then I. Its 10 x 10, real heavy dark brown waxed canvas. Its also in GREAT shape except for the fly is torn. It is a Center peak style, like a carnival tent, has wire fold up frames for vents/windows. Will take some pics and post once i get them set up.. A few poles missing from both, but I figure that they will work.. One for sleeping, one for cooking and dry.. CHEERS!!

I'm not sure where you're thinking you'll be able to beach-land a quad anywhere on McNab, and I would really strongly advise against doing it unless you've found a specific good spot already. It's tough terrain with big impassible channels along the beach and thick forest between the beach and the road. I spend a fair amount of time over there and I would recommend that you save yourself the trouble and just find a way to unload at the Burnco dock. Can't remember how wide the cabin ramp is but I remember it as being pretty damn narrow. All I know for certain is that unless you've found a specific spot on the beach that you know is passible by quad, you should just get onto the dock. Could be a frustrating start to the trip otherwise.

And I've had some run ins with the Burnco folks over the last couple years. Definitely more touchy with the gravel pit controversy. It would be worth it to try and get some permissions I think.

Good luck. There are some big bulls over there. That's a draw I'd love to win.

Fluidp
10-09-2018, 08:38 PM
Crabbing can be good all the way across the mcnab delta. 25-40 ft of water. Prawns can be had as shallow as 75 ft. Look for under water benches. There can be a nice 50x100 ft bench at 150ft deep but if you miss it the next one might be @300ft so watch your rope. If you want to see what I am talking about just look up at the shoreline and beyond. As for the elk... I’m no help there
I have looked at the sonar charts at McNab and they drop off quite quick. I will watch the ropes, And as far as the crabbing, I just filleted 10 sockey today for smoking and the backbones will make great crab bait. Thanks for the heads up

Fluidp
10-09-2018, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure where you're thinking you'll be able to beach-land a quad anywhere on McNab, and I would really strongly advise against doing it unless you've found a specific good spot already. It's tough terrain with big impassible channels along the beach and thick forest between the beach and the road. I spend a fair amount of time over there and I would recommend that you save yourself the trouble and just find a way to unload at the Burnco dock. Can't remember how wide the cabin ramp is but I remember it as being pretty damn narrow. All I know for certain is that unless you've found a specific spot on the beach that you know is passible by quad, you should just get onto the dock. Could be a frustrating start to the trip otherwise.

And I've had some run ins with the Burnco folks over the last couple years. Definitely more touchy with the gravel pit controversy. It would be worth it to try and get some permissions I think.

Good luck. There are some big bulls over there. That's a draw I'd love to win.
Hi and thanks for the tips. We have a cabin booked and have the use of the dock at the cabin side. The boat we have bringing the quads in is a small front ramp landing craft. Should be able to beach close to the dock area and unload. Thanks and i will be posting some pics and info for future LEH winners.

ryanonthevedder
10-09-2018, 09:09 PM
I have looked at the sonar charts at McNab and they drop off quite quick. I will watch the ropes, And as far as the crabbing, I just filleted 10 sockey today for smoking and the backbones will make great crab bait. Thanks for the heads up

Wiskas catfood tins, fish blend for prawns

granola_eater
10-09-2018, 11:04 PM
Hi and thanks for the tips. We have a cabin booked and have the use of the dock at the cabin side. The boat we have bringing the quads in is a small front ramp landing craft. Should be able to beach close to the dock area and unload. Thanks and i will be posting some pics and info for future LEH winners.

Ah, OK, that makes more sense. I was picturing you trying to do it the hard way to the west of the private area. Glad to hear you have a plan worked out. Good luck! Excited to hear back about how it goes.

steve-r
01-23-2019, 09:08 PM
Any updates on how this hunt went?

sizedoes matter
01-29-2019, 01:16 AM
Just wondering if this hunt happened?

ryanonthevedder
02-01-2019, 06:32 PM
If there’s no reply it means he smoked a monster and is trying to keep it quiet....

pg83
02-01-2019, 10:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

sizedoes matter
02-02-2019, 11:25 AM
What the f—k does that ^^^^^^^have to do with anything. Least of all an elk hunt.

walks with deer
02-02-2019, 09:08 PM
:?: okay??? thats messed.

ryanonthevedder
02-03-2019, 04:58 PM
Classic python. Love it

pg83
02-05-2019, 07:34 AM
What the f—k does that ^^^^^^^have to do with anything. Least of all an elk hunt.

Just trying to stay positive!

rbest
06-27-2019, 03:46 PM
Bump!!!

Hello, I drew the Bull LEH for 2019, any updated info on

1- Cabin Rental as an option.
2- Best marine taxi transport contact for Quad and gear etc.
3- There was lots of controversy on unloading quads over there. What has been successful?

Thank you!

rbest
10-30-2019, 08:58 AM
Well..... I was successful regardless of no answers to my questions lol! This was an a great hunt, and I'm super pumped and grateful for all of the meat we have now. Spent almost two hours putting a stalk on another shooter in the morning, but couldn't get a clear shot that I felt comfortable with and watched a dream bull slowly slip away into the timber.
Back out in the evening, and we spotted another bull, which I was able to connect with at 300 yards uphill. we spent the next 6 hours processing and packing out. Thankful for the help from my good friend and my awesome wife on this epic trip! Cheers

steve-r
10-30-2019, 09:42 AM
Congratulations! Any pics of your bull?
sorry, i must have missed your post, but ive never had that draw, not for lack of trying.
did you rent a cabin? Use a water taxi for your quad! What worked out, and what didnt?

rbest
10-31-2019, 09:43 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7641&stc=1

rbest
10-31-2019, 09:47 AM
We did end up staying at a cabin there that happened to be a friend of a friends. I had access to two quads that were already there, so we kind of lucked out in that department. Although if you have access to the dock through staying as a guest at one of the cabins, getting a quad on and up the dock and ramp is not a problem. There were other groups staying in the old Logging shed on the other side of the river, they had quads dropped off over there, and were dropped off by water taxi.

rbest
10-31-2019, 09:49 AM
....Ended up taking a nice 5x5, yielded 275 lbs of meat all said and done boned out and processed.

northof49
10-31-2019, 10:27 AM
Thats awesome! Congratulations on your success and being able to enjoy the hunt with your wife and buddy. Some good intel for others as well. Cheers

10-31-2019, 12:02 PM
man that is an incredible picture.

twoSevenO
10-31-2019, 12:30 PM
congratulations! Great hunt i'm sure. And not an easy one. You should be proud!

Knute
10-31-2019, 12:34 PM
Sweet photo, congrats on your hunt!

wideopenthrottle
10-31-2019, 12:50 PM
way to go on that bad boy..such rough slippery terrain there any success is amazing

Ferenc
10-31-2019, 02:02 PM
Awesome elk ..... and is that ever a cool pic !!

Fixit
12-08-2019, 11:41 AM
Nice pict Ryan, I ended up with cow tag soup, saw two cows at last light on nov 18th but couldnt get a shot off
nice meeting you guys up there!

DannyO
12-08-2019, 08:48 PM
That picture is frame worthy! Congrats to you

albravo2
12-08-2019, 08:51 PM
My buddy had the tag a couple years ago. Met some cool people hunting at the same time but we didn't connect. We camped in the abandoned building near the dock and it was COLD in that building. Saw one nice 7x7 taken just after we left. Nice area to hunt, I apply there every year.

.264winmag
12-17-2019, 10:38 PM
Congrats on the hunt rbest, and as said what a great picture! Dug up a couple pics from around 2007 when a buddy had the draw. Young 6point, a local caretaker had some ripper sheds from the area. We took refuge in that old shop as well. Would have been interesting to hunt it properly instead of being hammered by a storm.
Cheers

https://imgur.com/gallery/QkkUo8b