PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on this and similar cutblocks.

Nalidixic
09-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi guys. So, I got about 7 more days until the season opens for deer for me and figured I'd do some scouting this weekend. I'm hoping this year will be the year I get my first buck :> Anyways, I took a pic of this cut block as all the ones I walked around looked similar in growth and age. I did find some older deer tracks but not much in the way of fresh deer poo. The elevation according to the GPS was an avg of 4500ft on all the blocks we checked out. Tell me what you think of the blocks and if we were looking in the right spot. This is close to the Salmon Arm area. Thanks!!

Mike
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p185/nalidixic/DSC_0118.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p185/nalidixic/DSC_0117.jpg

ruger#1
09-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Nice cut blocks there Mike, This is what i would do. Check around the tree line in about ten feet and see if there is a deer trail that is heavily used and watch that area, Keep hidden the best you can and also use a cover scent. Watch it just before dark and early mornings.

ape
09-03-2007, 07:52 PM
I find with just about any cut block you will find that if you go in from the edge about 40yrds and walk around the whole thing very slow. Take a couple of steps every 5 mins. It may take you a whole day to walk around it but I find early in the year this is a very productive way to bag deer.

johnk
09-04-2007, 07:23 AM
Early season pay particular attention to those cool draws and gulleys. You'll find the bucks bunched up there feeding on lush vegetation.
Follow Ruger#1's advice and you might be surprised with how much sign there is just off the block. In my area where logging is extremely active all the individual cutblocks would be one large one if it weren't for draws, swamps and waterholes dividing them so don't forget to get 40-50yds. off the slash and see what you see.

mapguy
09-04-2007, 07:39 AM
if there feeding there you will find lots of poop

fozzy
09-04-2007, 11:12 AM
That's a nice looking spot. I've found that upper end of cut blocks furthest from the roads are best. They like to be able to look down and see if danger is coming.
My preference is hunting in the timber. As mentioned already look for trails in the timber around the cutblock, follow the trails and explore where they go. If you can find a natural pinch point where several trails join That's where I would set up. Early season it's cooler in the timber and the deer feel safer also. Is the cut block south facing?
Good luck

Nalidixic
09-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies. The cut block faces northish.

Mike

Mr. Dean
09-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Southern exposures tend to yield better/more grub.

Glass the snot out of the timber edges once you've confirmed fresh sign.

Wildman
09-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Southern exposures tend to yield better/more grub.

Glass the snot out of the timber edges once you've confirmed fresh sign.

True, and it may take you a long while before you spot a flick of an ear etc......you will be amazed how well they blend in specially when they loose their summer coat.

Wild Will
09-04-2007, 07:41 PM
If you are waiting 7 days for your opening, you are hunting with a rifle. These cutblocks look ideal to me. Hunt early, if you don't have one by 9 am, you might want to try again in the evening, but you will get lucky. There are lots of deer around in the interior this year

Nalidixic
09-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks again for all the advice, pm's and encouragement guys. If anyone else has things to add I'd be greatfull.

Mike