PDA

View Full Version : Advise on deer calls...

Holmes
09-03-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm a total newbie to hunting and was hoping to pick up some advise on a few things. I'm using a Barnett crossbow and have just spent the weekend scouting a few areas in the eastern end of the Fraser Valley. I went a few kilometers up the FSR by Ryder Lake and I also went this morning up the FSR that is after the Tamihi Bridge in the Chilliwack River Valley. Tried a few of the clear cuts up the FSR off of Chilliwack Lake rd but didn't see a thing. In Ryder Lake there were more signs of deer (heavily used trails, scrape marks etc.) Still, saw nothing but a couple of black bears. Found it a little frustrating, because I was up there at 5 AM trying to call in a buck.
Am I getting up there early enough?
I am using a doe and buck call in combination, but is it too early for that? I also don't know what sort of time intervals should be used when trying to call in a deer. Could someone give me some advise on this.
I also plan on hunting from the ground. Is this hopeless? Should I be getting a stand?
I'm just hoping I can get a few pointers to increase my odds of being successful this season.
Thanks.

Untouchable
09-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Its hopeless. Deer Cant be called...;-)

Seriously though, Ive heard only very rare instances, where deer have actually been called in. ( I'm assuming that you're hunting mule deer)
Other than grunting at a deer you've already seen, Id say you're chances on getting a deer to come into a call are pretty slim, especially in the fraser valley. Getting there early is key, deer sign is great, but I would'nt waste my time trying to call deer in, just still hunt through the forest, and Id say that would be you're best bet. Good Luck.

ruger#1
09-03-2007, 05:32 PM
I have called mulies in area three and blacktails in region two with a can deer bleet and some old deer antlers for ratling. works when it works and it dosnt work all the time. Also when you are hunting ridges and use the bleet it will get the deer to stand up . Otherwise you would never see them. Call them in mid oct and early nov.

Browningmirage
09-03-2007, 05:35 PM
dont get frustrated...thats my first piece of advice...if you are getting frustrated because you arent getting an animal, or for any other reason, you are missing the point of hunting. Its not about killing, and people often go several seasons (my dad went for 3 years) without killing a deer.

I have heard many different things about calling, and have heard people swear by it, and at the other end of the spectrum swear at it. It can work, and is worth trying.

just put in time...thats all that really can be said. Go out and look for deer, more deer have been had by just going out and looking and spending the time than by any other method. Dont get frustrated, or hunting isnt for you

ruger#1
09-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Stay around the trails that you have seen if you can stay a good distance away and use a cover scent. Be paitient , use your eyes and ears and you will come up with some thing, lots of different animals use the deer trails to. good luck and have fun.

ruger#1
09-03-2007, 05:46 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/blacktail_004.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5925&size=big&cat=500)this two point was taken in the Fraser Valley, seen lots of buck srapes and no deer for a long time , Then all of a sudden they showed up. Dressed out a 98lbs. Vevy good eating.

mapguy
09-04-2007, 08:02 AM
calling sometimes works however most of the time they will bust you if your using a bow get up in a stand and be" very very quiet"
i usually use a call in clearcuts they will stand up occaisionally i had a nice little spot where they were bedding in the clearcut and they got up everytime i called

Bow Walker
09-04-2007, 08:55 AM
All of the above is great advice. Follow it and you will get results sooner rather than later.

Again - enjoy your time in the bush, if you are just looking to kill an animal, get a gun.

quadrakid
09-04-2007, 08:41 PM
i,ve had luck calling blacktails but usually doesn,t work too well until closer to the rut,late oct early nov and it certainly doesn,t always work. it,s just another tool in the arsenal, best tool to have is patience, enjoy your time in the bush, be quiet and you will see and get deer, enjoy the season.

BCLongshot
09-04-2007, 08:52 PM
I sure hope your good with that crossbow.

If your a newbie Y don't you try and hook up with an experienced hunter through your Gun Club ?

Ruger #1.....Now I know what you look like...............lol lol

coolhunter
09-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Thx photo .I like deer ,I think next week I can get big one........:biggrin:

pmj
09-05-2007, 12:16 AM
I have used a fawn bleet ( deer stopper/ deer talker) to hold does from taking off. I have also called them in dense bush where there was no sign, give a call and ..thunk.. thunk thunk.. doe hops out of no where. Another time I got lucky on a windy day. The wind was swirling and as I walked I called with the fawn bleet. I stopped calling and continued to walk. A muley was looking in the wrong direction trying to figure where the sound was coming from. At 75 yds only saw a white face, part of neck between two trees and the rest of the body was behind a up turned root ball. Checked through my binocs thinking it was a doe with tree root on its head. 4x6 buck! Click, BOOM! I use an old rack for rattling (has not worked yet) and have used it to rub on a tree and bring a buck back for a second look when I jumped him in dense bush. Important safety tip: fawn bleet also works for bears and cougars.

lapadat
09-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Holmes,

I've been bowhunting the chwk valley several times this week and have seen a number of deer, including some bucks. Get into a cutblock around first light and glass, glass, glass. They will be feeding from first light to around 7:30, then they will bed down and get back up to feed from 8:30 to 10 am.

PM for more local info

lap

ruger#1
09-05-2007, 03:43 PM
longshot . Now you have to find me. HA HA HA . Im starting to get deer fever.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-06-2007, 08:13 PM
I havent had much luck callin mulies ... mind you i hunted Mulies between whitey huntin while they were bedded for the day ...

whitey callin ... thats a skill ....but I have heard that you can do the same with mulies while they are ruttin' just sound like a Horny doe in heat ....they will come to ya

BCLongshot
09-08-2007, 09:54 AM
ruger

I'll follow the police,firetrucks and the CO when they're flying around Mission looking for the MONSTER on the loose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO LMAO

ruger#1
09-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Im going to tell Lloyd your picking on me.

BCLongshot
09-12-2007, 08:29 PM
hahahahahha

Damn it's hot out.

jessbennett
09-12-2007, 09:35 PM
in the rut, mulies can be rattled and grunted in. also try the primos flip can doe in heat bleat thing:lol:. it works really well.