PDA

View Full Version : Heading solo to 7B for moose/elk sept 20ish

Sakofox
08-29-2018, 01:10 PM
Hey guys im heading up to 7B this year since my usual hunting area 7-27 burnt pretty bad. My hunting partner is getting an athroscopy next week so im going solo. I have a solid truck, enclosed trailer with all the gear, quad, genset... Im hesitant between Pink Mountain (Tommy Lakes area) and Chetwynd/Tumbler ridge area. Do any of you know of some nice areas for moose primarily and elk second. I usually debone my animals to get them out so i hike like a maniac although i dont know jack about neither areas. If anyone is in the same situation and looking to partner up for the trip im open to discussion. Thanks!

Takla
08-29-2018, 01:16 PM
What have you heard about 7-27?We have a shared hunt there ,what ive heard was that the fire was more in the 7-28 area north and east of Ft st james

takla

Sakofox
08-29-2018, 01:21 PM
Well the Sacaniche bridge is closed and so is the jinx to head towards the upper 7-27. I looked at the BC Wildfire maps and what hasnt been logged in that pocket is pretty burnt up. The upper 7-27 isnt burnt too bad but theyre logging a storm up there. Thats why i'll be trying my luck in 7B

Takla
08-29-2018, 01:23 PM
ooch,,we hunt dust creek and need to get north of Sachaniche river,loggers havent repaired it yet?

Sakofox
08-29-2018, 01:31 PM
From what ive read on the Bc Wildfire website the fire is along the road and theres an evacuation alert for Mt Blanchet park and Leo Creek. Their website has more information about it...

Takla
08-29-2018, 01:41 PM
I heard there was a fire where the road that heads north from Stuart lake north towards Takla.Heard theres also a fire east of takla near Purvis lake but nothing up the west arm or north of Takla.The bridge over the Sachaniche is a concern for us tho ,how old is that info?Also have some info for you on your hunt if your heading north of Pink Mnt..
takla

Takla
08-29-2018, 01:55 PM
Just put in a call into the Area and the road is open to takla,bridge over the narrows is still there but waiting on confirmation on the Sakanichi crossing ,someones comeing in from the Babine lake side today that will confirm.

takla

bloody bellies
08-29-2018, 02:00 PM
Hey guys im heading up to 7B this year since my usual hunting area 7-27 burnt pretty bad. My hunting partner is getting an athroscopy next week so im going solo. I have a solid truck, enclosed trailer with all the gear, quad, genset... Im hesitant between Pink Mountain (Tommy Lakes area) and Chetwynd/Tumbler ridge area. Do any of you know of some nice areas for moose primarily and elk second. I usually debone my animals to get them out so i hike like a maniac although i dont know jack about neither areas. If anyone is in the same situation and looking to partner up for the trip im open to discussion. Thanks!

hunted tommy lakes area 2 years ago, LOTS of wolves, took shots at wolves 3 different days, Black bears are like rats, very good chance you would knock down smokey, we didn't see any moose, access to tommy lakes is by foot, there are few areas around where we saw beds but no moose, their there just gotta be lucky, tough go without quad. this time of year access around the lakes are swampy, we didn't see elk but supposidley there, tommy lakes isn't by pink mountain the turn off is aprox 15min past wonowon. then aprox 120k in, good luck

Sakofox
08-29-2018, 02:03 PM
I dont think the bridge is damaged but i know they wont let you through Middle River crossing since its in the evac area. That was last updated at 1230 today. The map shows the fire across the Jinx coming from the Granisle barge which would be the other way to Dust creek. It doesnt mention anything about that road being close but i cant see it being open. A phonecall to the FSJ fire zone might be a good idea.

Sakofox
08-29-2018, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the info Takla!

Takla
08-29-2018, 02:11 PM
Thx for the info .Im thinking we have almost a month before the trip so things should be opened up by then and fire finished.Talked to someone at Takla first nation so will wait for a call back.Last i heard the barge over from Granisle wasnt treating hunters that well we may have to find out for ourselves,i know where the gate is on that side
and even if locked its easy to get around.

takla

Sakofox
08-29-2018, 02:31 PM
I couldnt agree more. I came close to giving a boxing lesson to a log truck driver on that barge two years ago. Although it sure makes for a shorter drive compared to Middle river way.

Sakofox
08-29-2018, 02:44 PM
hunted tommy lakes area 2 years ago, LOTS of wolves, took shots at wolves 3 different days, Black bears are like rats, very good chance you would knock down smokey, we didn't see any moose, access to tommy lakes is by foot, there are few areas around where we saw beds but no moose, their there just gotta be lucky, tough go without quad. this time of year access around the lakes are swampy, we didn't see elk but supposidley there, tommy lakes isn't by pink mountain the turn off is aprox 15min past wonowon. then aprox 120k in, good luck

Thanks for the tips! I might try Chetwynd area if i have time

2chodi
08-29-2018, 02:49 PM
There was a fairly large fire in Tommy Lakes back in May — I'm not sure how that would impact access/hunting. There is another fire burning right now (23,000 ha) to the northeast of Tommy Lakes.

Sakofox
08-29-2018, 03:12 PM
There was a fairly large fire in Tommy Lakes back in May — I'm not sure how that would impact access/hunting. There is another fire burning right now (23,000 ha) to the northeast of Tommy Lakes.

Yes thats the Silver lk fire. That one is also a concern but apparently they have the west side of it under control.

2chodi
08-29-2018, 03:29 PM
Yes thats the Silver lk fire. That one is also a concern but apparently they have the west side of it under control.

Yes, and the weather is a lot cooler now up here (some frost the other day in the backcountry) and there has been some rain.

Takla
08-29-2018, 03:49 PM
Fingers X that they get rain up there next few weeks ,weve had some nasty weather in there between the 10th an 20th of sept,one yr even woke to 2ft of snow on the 10th..

takla

Wild one
08-29-2018, 08:37 PM
Thx for the info .Im thinking we have almost a month before the trip so things should be opened up by then and fire finished.Talked to someone at Takla first nation so will wait for a call back.Last i heard the barge over from Granisle wasnt treating hunters that well we may have to find out for ourselves,i know where the gate is on that side
and even if locked its easy to get around.

takla

If I am thinking the same barge it’s private(logging/forestry use) and never caters to hunters. Even when I was logging there I could only use the barge for work purposes

Takla
08-29-2018, 09:06 PM
I think your right Wild one,ive never used it either but heard they wouldnt allow hunters on 5 yrs or so back

takla

Norwestalta
08-29-2018, 09:15 PM
Yes, and the weather is a lot cooler now up here (some frost the other day in the backcountry) and there has been some rain.

Rain showers off and on all this week in the peace country. So the weather teller says. I’m just across the border from tomslake and we got a 1/4” this evening. Radio was saying the campfire ban in bc peace has been lifted.

Takla
08-29-2018, 09:20 PM
Sure hope that wet
weather hits the burns lake/Takla lake area north region.Geez you get your draws and then fires F-you up..Grrrrrr

takla

Sakofox
09-02-2018, 11:08 AM
Good news for 7/7b. Lots of rain in the forecast and cooler temps. Also, a friend of mine will be coming along on my trip to 7b. Always nice to have some help to haul a carcass out of the woods. I'm still looking for advice on the general 7-45 area if anyone is familiar with it. Any camping spots recommended or areas to avoid? Not looking for honey holes.