PDA

View Full Version : Sheep hunt -

BCrams
09-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Another sheep hunt has come and gone. Once again, no rams. The miserable mountain weather seemed to try and tell us to get out of the mountains on a daily basis but we stuck it out, hunted hard and had a great time regardless.

What Willy442 said in a previous post (below).......sums up the hunt pretty good. We just couldn't find any mature rams 8+ yrs or older which was a first for me as we always did see mature rams.

I've talked to a few guides and Outfitters, and all have had a pretty rough go of sheep hunting this year. Some seem to think maybe they never travelled out of the winter range as you state, but most seem to have found plenty of young rams and very few 8+, which to me would indicate winter die off of the matures was high.

Fisher-Dude
09-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Tough luck on the rams, Rams. I wonder if some of the mature sheep have any problems with other factors, like lung worms or pnemonia?

Gateholio
09-03-2007, 09:16 AM
BC Rams, this is ironic- I was just thinking this morning that I hadn't seen you post in awhile, and wondered when you may be back. Sorry to hear the big guy eluded you again....I'm sure you will find something to fill your time wiht the rest of the season, good luck! :)

willy442
09-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Tough luck on the rams, Rams. I wonder if some of the mature sheep have any problems with other factors, like lung worms or pnemonia?

FD Lung worm is contacted by sheep through domestic animals like cattle. I know no Stone Sheep area where sheep are mixing with domesticated animals, so I can't see this as a problem. The predator problem along with the severe winter are far more likely.

srupp
09-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Glad to see you back safe and sound Rams...THANKS you made me feel less incompetent in my attempt in August due to weather..;-)

The calies in the Cariboo have been slaughtered by lungworm 80% or more wiped out...:frown: I dont know jacK about the stones..

But interesting trend developing most successful moose AND sheep hunters got great trips but no sheep while a lot of guys seem to be getting their FIRST sheep and first moose...

The two singularly successful and knowlegable sheep hunters didnt connect....and weather this year has been brutal..:eek:

Once again welcome home Rams.:D

regards

Steven

Seeadler
09-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Don't biologist think that the lungworm and the bighorn evolved together? And that it is when the sheep are stressed that it can become fatal?

Isn't it pasturella that bighorns catch from domestic sheep?

willy442
09-03-2007, 11:53 AM
But interesting trend developing most successful moose AND sheep hunters got great trips but no sheep while a lot of guys seem to be getting their FIRST sheep and first moose...

The two singularly successful and knowlegable sheep hunters didnt connect....and weather this year has been brutal..:eek:

Srupp; The Rams I've seen taken for the most part have all been young 6-8 year olds, with the exception of a couple. Not sheep an accomplished sheep hunter would or should be harvesting. Granted I have also seen a couple of real dandies taken, but not a very high ratio compared to the amount of hunters. It will be interesting to see how our local officals view this years harvest and see what they will try to implement for changes to the future allowable harvest.

srupp
09-03-2007, 12:15 PM
hmmmm I agree..even here with Calies almost NONE being seen...

Im off for another crack at Stoners....and moose for 10-15 dayz....end of sept..
Steven

jjensen20
09-03-2007, 12:42 PM
The calies in the Cariboo have been slaughtered by lungworm 80% or more wiped out...:frown: I dont know jacK about the stones....

I know nothing about the calies in the cariboo but as far as in the ashnola area the sheep heard is healthier than ever my buddy got a gorgeous 10 yr old with his draw this year and the callie heard in region 3 which were probably the most decimated by the lungworm are doing quite well and are back on the rise.

sorry to hear about no sheep BC Rams we had no luck as well on our stone hunt this year but the weather was great only got rained out 1 day the whole trip

oh well better luck next year i guess

cheers

Fisher-Dude
09-03-2007, 01:03 PM
The predator problem along with the severe winter are far more likely.

I agree the predator problem is large, all over the province. I also believe that wolves are the number one reason that game managers are playing it conservatively with LEH moose in many areas. Time for a much more intensive wolf management program, IMO.

eric
09-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Hey Guy's, go to the Boone + Crocket web page- news, and you will see a picture of the HUGE Stone that was taken this year.
Eric

dana
09-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Rams,
I was waiting for the news of a monster being dropped. Sorry no such luck. I could only imagine how bad the weather was as it has been super $hitty down south here too.

pmj
09-03-2007, 10:30 PM
BCrams, Sorry to hear no sheep. Good for you for putting in the effort in some lousy weather.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Sorry you didn't get a ram this year, Rams. After helping your Dad and your buddy get a ram the last two years, I was pulling for you.

We had the same shitty mtn weather. I should have packed more clothes.

I'll post up a story/ video clips as soon as I get a chance.
I was hoping for a 40" ram on my 40th B-day but had to settle for a 42".................................................. ...............................8-).

SSS

BCrams
09-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Sorry you didn't get a ram this year, Rams. After helping your Dad and your buddy get a ram the last two years, I was pulling for you.

I was hoping for a 40" ram on my 40th B-day but had to settle for a 42".................................................. ...............................8-).

SSS

Wow - 42" ...... congrats big time!! Hopefully one of these years the hard work will pay off with a nice ram. Looking forward to seeing the pictures / video / story of your hunt.

Unless those mature rams dug themselves a hole in the ground or retreated deep into the timber past the low buckbrush stuff - I am leaning towards a combination of winter and predators for the area we were hunting. We saw the roughly the same number of young rams as in previous hunts but were missing the mature component altogether.

Saw a dandy wolverine going along a sheep ridge for sometime as well and they will account for some sheep mortality.

Congrats go out to all the successful sheep hunters out there !!

StoneChaser
09-04-2007, 10:31 AM

SSS

Post the pics NOW or Gatehouse will Ban you!

srupp
09-04-2007, 11:17 AM
sweeeeet! 42.......WOW ..second Stonechaser..photos!!!!! please.....lol

Steven

Gateholio
09-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Post the pics NOW or Gatehouse will Ban you!

Correct.:wink:

Brambles
09-04-2007, 03:17 PM

SSS

Make the time, and get er done. You know the rules;)

Gateholio
09-04-2007, 03:24 PM
SSS is mere momets from bannination...........................

steepNdeep
09-05-2007, 11:06 AM
BC - Bummer no rams, but I'm sure it was good to be out there. You've had a great streak guiding and I'm sure your turn will come around again...