PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry books

Muskydawg
08-23-2018, 09:31 AM
Hey Fellas, getting ready for the season and going through my gear lists. I’m wondering if anyone has any good book suggestions to take in the tent? I hunt alone quite a bit. Last year I read the dangerous river, about the nahanni river exploration. Looking for something else along those lines.

Thanks!

Bistchen
08-23-2018, 10:14 AM
Anything Louis L'amour. Short and sweet paperbacks that dont weigh much and are full of all the action and adventure a hunter wants to read whilist enjoying theur own adventures in the backcountry. Pure and simple.

Also, Dry paper if you need to make a fire or wipe your ring. E-books dont burn that well.

TreeStandMan
08-23-2018, 10:55 AM
Some hunting adjacent non-fiction I've read and enjoyed recently is "A Beast the Color of Winter: The Mountain Goat Observed" by Douglas H. Chadwick, and "Coyote America: A Natural and Supernatural History" by Dan Flores.

I don't pack paper books with me, I now use a kindle e-reader. The one I use is the "Paperwhite" which is back-lit and therefore good for reading after dark, it only requires charging every few weeks, it weighs less than a paper book at 7.6 oz., and you can load it with hundreds of books. For me, it's the biggest luxury I take on a backpack hunt.

Blockcaver
08-23-2018, 10:57 AM
Books by BC people about hunting: Pat Ferguson, "Gone Hunting" & "Gone Hunting Again", Bob Henderson's "Land of the Red Goats" come to mind. Also Chris Kind's books that have more of a cowboy flavor...he had about 5 as I remember. Red Sorenson has an interesting book out as well....forgot the name and its loaned out.

Tony Russ from Alaska has some two or three good sheep hunting books out on Dall sheep hunting.

I'd stay away from the various bear tales, especially if you hunt solo!

codeitin
08-23-2018, 12:43 PM
"A Beast the Color of Winter: The Mountain Goat Observed" by Douglas H. Chadwick

I enjoyed this as well, interesting stuff and well written, only thing I didn't like was Chadwick's penchant for sentimentality.

firebird
08-23-2018, 02:02 PM
Get on the Safari Press website. You just missed a big sale. Books from $3-$20. I bought 16 new books for $123. Mostly hardcover regular 80-$100 each

Asia, Africa, Europe, North America. Lots of the classics

KevB
08-23-2018, 02:40 PM
Three against the wilderness by Eric Collier. Story about homesteading in the Chilcotin, it will make you feel lazy and want to get up and go

Muskydawg
08-23-2018, 02:50 PM
Great stuff guys, keep em coming! I’ve read the beast the colour of winter book as well as coyote America. Both are good. I’m going to check out some of the sheep hunting books as well Three against the wilderness. I’m more of a non-fiction guy!

mike31154
08-23-2018, 09:29 PM
The Mountain Knows No Expert. Haven't read myself but been meaning to. Biography of an accomplished outdoorsman Mr. Evanoff. I' ve had the pleasure of being guided backcountry ski touring by his son Craig. Met an unfortunate demise by
grizzly encounter. Provincial Park bears his name.

Rotorwash
08-23-2018, 10:10 PM
The beast the color of winter , coyote america ,chris kinds - down hill and in the shade and big horns and stone sheep (both of which can be found at the cache creek gas station by the ashcroft turn off) , steve rinellas - american buffalo and meat eater, the land of the red goat by bob henderson, and tommy walkers - spatsizi , duncan gilchrists books are great too
Mike eastmans book high country mule deer is good, pat fergusons book

all are good

canishunter22-250
08-23-2018, 10:35 PM
RM Patterson has got some other dandies too. Far Pastures is a good one.

Nahanni by Dick Turner is a good one. A lot of the same fellas that were in Dangerous River, but just a different perspective on a similar area and time frame.

Rotorwash
08-23-2018, 11:47 PM
oh and Helge ingstads book - the land of feast and famine

08-24-2018, 06:15 AM
The Tiger by John Vailiant. True story about a man-eating tiger in Siberia. Fascinating.

Lionhill
08-24-2018, 06:51 AM
https://www.amazon.ca/Lamebear-Stories-Barry-Kilback-ebook/dp/B00HG6O3UO

If you are reading from a device.

Elkaddict
08-24-2018, 08:38 AM
Rich Hobson's "Grass beyond the Mountain" and sequels. Dude Lavington's "9 lives of a Cowboy". All about homesteading the Chilcotin.

Mr. Friendly
08-24-2018, 08:58 AM
why not find 'Outposts and Bushplanes' by Bruce Lamb (aka H4831 on CGN) from Salmon Arm. he recently passed back in April and having just read his unpublished short story, 'When Roosters Crowed and Frogs Croaked', I'd like to read more about his life growing up in the 1930's.

another good option would be anything by R.M. Patterson. I'm going to go out and get everything he wrote. I read my dad's copy of 'Dangerous River' so many times the binding broke down!

ElliotMoose
08-24-2018, 01:02 PM
X2 For Outposts and Bush Planes. Sad to hear about Bruce's passing, I hadn't heard. Definitely worth a read!

Muskydawg
08-24-2018, 06:10 PM
Great ideas guys! Keep em coming!

Rotorwash
08-24-2018, 06:57 PM
The Tiger by John Vailiant. True story about a man-eating tiger in Siberia. Fascinating.
Yeah !! this one is great

cptnoblivious
08-26-2018, 10:10 AM
Get on the Safari Press website. You just missed a big sale. Books from $3-$20. I bought 16 new books for $123. Mostly hardcover regular 80-$100 each

Asia, Africa, Europe, North America. Lots of the classics

Those collections have been hit & miss for me. I picked up a 3 book set mostly because it contained a collection of Jack O'Connor stories, but the other 2 books went from so-so to just plain bad.

I think Aldo Leopold's Sand County Almanac would make good back country reading.

Frank grimes
08-26-2018, 12:44 PM
Alone against the North by Adam scholts also a history of Canada in ten maps

cptnoblivious
08-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Thought of one more "Should the tent be burning like that" by Bill Heavey. You might laugh and scare away the game at times though ;)

Greenthumbed
08-26-2018, 06:58 PM
Lots of great books mentioned already. I've read most of them, I think. I'll suggest one by Joe Simpson called "Touching the Void". It's a real page turner about a mountaineering accident. I read it this spring while travelling in Montana and Yellowstone. Check it out!

stosto
08-26-2018, 08:42 PM
steven rinella american buffalo

srupp
08-26-2018, 09:47 PM
Hmm I've read lots on tye whiskey rebellon..fort whoop it up..and the characters involved..Sam Steele..john Heany..and ESPECIALLY anything to do with MY HERO Jerry Potts. ..there wasnt anything ge couldnt do.enjoyed these every bit as the stories of the nahanni..
Srupp

wos
08-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Smith and other events. Paul st piere. He also had a couple other books that were great.

bigwhiteys
08-27-2018, 07:19 AM
Red Sorenson has an interesting book out as well....forgot the name and its loaned out.

"The Man Called Red" by Red Sorensen. Great book but I am a little biased, lol. Available online through Amazon, at several farmers markets around Creston, BC and at many places along the AK highway.

GEF
08-27-2018, 09:50 AM
Andy Russel ?Horns in the high country and Grizzly country.

newbie604
08-27-2018, 01:15 PM
I wanna say thanks too. reading this gave me lots of new options for books.