PDA

View Full Version : The Ethics of Selling Capes

bownut
08-22-2018, 10:33 PM
So how do all you HBC members feel about Resident Hunters going out and taking game with the intention of selling the capes?
Seems like more and more individuals feel that if a so so animal hits the dirt the Cape Market will justify the Harvest.
What do yo think about the trade off?

Moose63
08-22-2018, 10:35 PM
I couldn't give away my bear rug....

bownut
08-22-2018, 10:36 PM
I couldn't give away my bear rug....

Sheep seem to be the big ticket item.

Gateholio
08-22-2018, 10:54 PM
If it's lawfully taken, it's their property to do with as they choose within the law.

Weatherby Fan
08-22-2018, 11:02 PM
If it's lawfully taken, it's their property to do with as they choose within the law.

My thoughts exactly, if you've taken it legally and can make use of the cape instead of it going to waste why not ? if you can make $100 or $150 maybe cover a couple tanks of gas for your trip all the better.

I used to cape every animal I shot just for the practice........

twoSevenO
08-22-2018, 11:05 PM
How and where does one find the Cape prices?

Weatherby Fan
08-22-2018, 11:08 PM
How and where does one find the Cape prices?

mostly taxidermists want them so call them and see what they'll pay

Rackmastr
08-22-2018, 11:20 PM
Gets to be an interesting conversation, especially when dealing in sheep and grizz. I too have heard stories of people shooting animals just to justify the cost of their flight into an area, after they weren't successful in finding a 'big' ram.

No doubt a person can get pretty in depth about ethics, etc. Doesn't always come down to 'if its legal' when getting into these conversations.

I have bought and sold capes of various critters. I've also had some great in depth insightful conversation about the 'ethics' surrounding it and how its viewed within various communities (hunters, non hunters, antis, etc)

bearvalley
08-23-2018, 08:08 AM

Should that thought apply to the sale of game meat as well?

bearvalley
08-23-2018, 08:17 AM
Rackmaster kind of nailed it when he touched on ethics.
Theres 2 ways to look at this in my opinion, if someone doesn’t want a cape and someone else can make good use of it great.
If a few bucks trade hands for the time in dealing with the cape, great as well.
The alternative is it rotting in the bush.
The flip side is if someone is selling capes to pay for trips.....they are looked at by some asreally not putting much value on the animal they shot.

08-23-2018, 08:56 AM
As long as animals are legally harvested, it's nobody's business what someone does with the cape IMO.

boxhitch
08-23-2018, 09:03 AM
As long as animals are legally harvested, it's nobody's business what someone does with the cape IMO.Eggzachary, but there will always be preachers
The practice of selling capes or hides has been around for eons

boxhitch
08-23-2018, 09:08 AM
...........The flip side is if someone is selling capes to pay for trips.....they are looked at by some asreally not putting much value on the animal they shot.For some, its not a matter of the flip side but the same side.
value of hides, value of wildlife, value of the hunt, value of the trophy,........the water gets deep quick

boxhitch
08-23-2018, 09:11 AM
.......Seems like more and more individuals feel that if a so so animal hits the dirt the Cape Market will justify the Harvest.
.........true fact or just your impression?
The market is only so big, and if it is fulfilled, values will reflect that.

kootenaihunter
08-23-2018, 09:19 AM
Trying to find the wording on the Wildlife Act. I think once it's tanned, it's now an animal product and different, but a raw cape is probably considered a wildlife part. I think someone could sell it to a taxidermist as they have the permit for it, then it can be used by someone else. I don't think you can sell animal parts directly to another person.

Possession of wildlife33 (1)A person commits an offence if the person has live wildlife in his or her personal possession except as authorized under a licence or permit or as provided by regulation.
(2)A person commits an offence if the person has dead wildlife or a part of any wildlife in his or her possession except as authorized under a licence or permit or as provided by regulation.

Gateholio
08-23-2018, 09:36 AM
Not sure if this directly applies... trying to find the wording ion the Wildlife Act, you know, looking for facts. I think once it's tanned, it's now an animal product and different, but a raw cape is probably considered a wildlife part.

Transport with record of receipt

4.03 For the purposes of section 37 of the Act, a person may ship or transport wildlife or fish killed or taken by another person or parts of them where he or she has in his or her immediate possession a record of receipt of the wildlife or fish or parts of them showing
(a)the date and place of receipt,
(b)the name and address of the person who killed or took the wildlife or fish or from whom the wildlife or fish or parts of them were acquired,
(c)the number of the licence or permit of the person who killed or took the wildlife or fish,
(d)the name and address of the person to whom the wildlife or fish or parts are to be delivered, and
(e)the species and sex of the animal if it is a big game animal.

I think it would make sense to keep the paperwork of all parts/products in perpetuity. Taxidermists always record tag and hunter lic information etc too.

Wild one
08-23-2018, 09:39 AM
No issue with it as selling a cape is often just utilizing a part of the animal that would normally go to waste other wise

bearvalley
08-23-2018, 10:02 AM
No issue with it as selling a cape is often just utilizing a part of the animal that would normally go to waste other wise

This is probably the best answer to this debate.

russm86
08-23-2018, 10:28 AM

Isn't selling game meat illegal in itself though?

kootenaihunter
08-23-2018, 10:31 AM

just like bear gallbladders?

08-23-2018, 10:45 AM

Gallbladders are different, as they are used in traditional Asian medicine, and allowing their sale opens the door for "market hunting", and widespread poaching.

Gateholio
08-23-2018, 11:00 AM
Gallbladders should be legal to sell. If every hunter that legally killed a bear sold the gall bladder, it would remove the appeal of poaching for gall bladders. Just like prohibition enticed criminals to get involved.

zippermouth
08-23-2018, 11:15 AM
for me who has more value in the hunt and antlers/horns the cape isnt worth much. My dad mounted one deer for me when i was young but i doubt i will get another mount in my life. to me i love hanging on to the anters/horns too much to have them on a mount. i much prefer a euro mount, which saves money and i always can pull down the horns/antlers to look at when i feel like it. i know when i go home to my parents there is a pile of elk skulls deer skulls and sheds on their living room floor that i wouldn't be able to do with a shoulder mount. so for me selling the cape is very high on my list of things to do after a hunt. if i put in the effort to kill an animal, pack salt, flesh, turn lips, ears nose etc pack out for 10+ km why should i not be able to sell it? sure it pays for the hunt, doing a two week backpack hunt costs a lot of money, time off work etc but thats not the reason for selling the cape. im sure the number of people who fund their hunts this way is very minimal, and its still a legal animal that they killed. i dont have any less respect for the animal i just killed because i want to sell the cape. someone will appreciate the cape. i feel i am a minority as most people like getting taxidermy work done but it sure is nice to have the option to sell a cape if you choose to do so.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-23-2018, 11:28 AM
I see from the vast majority of answers that common sense prevails in this thread.

I find it interestiing that some try to tell people why they do things. The only person that can know the answer for sure is the person doing it.

SSS

Wild one
08-23-2018, 11:37 AM

Personally would have no issues with legally harvested bear gallbladder being sold as long as the rest of the animal was utilized

Truth of the matter is the only problem with gallbladder’s is those that poached or wasted bears to get them. It’s those who chose to break the laws to obtain them

tomcat
08-23-2018, 11:39 AM
Gallbladders should be legal to sell. If every hunter that legally killed a bear sold the gall bladder, it would remove the appeal of poaching for gall bladders. Just like prohibition enticed criminals to get involved. I agree and the increased hunting of bears would help control the increasing bear population and resulting problem bears.

bearvalley
08-23-2018, 12:12 PM
I see from the vast majority of answers that common sense prevails in this thread.

I find it interestiing that some try to tell people why they do things. The only person that can know the answer for sure is the person doing it.

SSS

Common sense prevails Brent.
The last thing we need is to have our illustrious NDP/Green group start targeting hunters and species just because they are harvesting animals that have little meat value ( volume wise) and a fair market value for their hide.
If it’s legal to harvest, it should be the hunters choice as to what he does with any legal to keep part of that animal.

I also agree that legally harvested gall bladders should be marketable.

The technicalities will take the fun out of hunting if one wants to dwell on it...you can’t even enjoy sheep ribs around your spike camp campfire the way the regs are written.
All edible portions must go to your place of residence or meat cutter, etc.....in accordance with the Wildlife Act.
BS, they are damn good seasoned with woodsmoke, salt and a bit of garlic.

Linksman313
08-23-2018, 12:30 PM

Pardon my ignorance of the legalities of marketing wild game animal parts but this is exactly what I thought of too?

08-23-2018, 12:50 PM
I agree and the increased hunting of bears would help control the increasing bear population and resulting problem bears.

Good point!

quadrakid
08-23-2018, 02:46 PM
I don,t know the value of a sheep cape. I doubt that it would put a big dent in the price of a DIY sheep hunt.If it is legal why are we even debating it?

russm
08-23-2018, 03:31 PM
I don,t know the value of a sheep cape. I doubt that it would put a big dent in the price of a DIY sheep hunt.If it is legal why are we even debating it?

Because people always feel the need to over complicate and make issues of things that aren’t issues, what’s wrong with selling it? Just another part of the animal getting used, and what is a “so so animal”, anything I kill I look at as being as valuable as another whether it’s a spike or a big trophy (not that I’ve shot anything huge)

Stone C. Killer
08-23-2018, 06:39 PM
I dont know the value of this thread

bownut
08-23-2018, 10:32 PM
Just asking the question, it was thrown my way and I was looking for the members to give some feed back.
Thanks.

RobU
08-24-2018, 07:17 AM

We cant debate the legality of selling capes.
We can however debate the morals and ethics behind it. Which I think the original post was driving at.
Yes the value of a sheep cape is very high, clearly enough to pay for a trip and then have $ left over. This hunting for selling must stop! We can take a few minutes of our time to tell others to kindly refrain from hunting for $$.
To base a hunting trip on earning money off the parts is legal, but ethical? NO.
Perhaps us as hunters could for once take a proactive approach to laws and regulations and say no to this type of hunting before our lousy govt and anti hunters decide for us. Sheep, goats, black bear and mtn lions are on the NDP/Green hit list.
As hunters we are obligated to hunt for the future so our children and grandchildren can enjoy such fantastic resources as well.

Gateholio
08-24-2018, 08:32 AM
We cant debate the legality of selling capes.
We can however debate the morals and ethics behind it. Which I think the original post was driving at.
Yes the value of a sheep cape is very high, clearly enough to pay for a trip and then have $ left over. This hunting for selling must stop! We can take a few minutes of our time to tell others to kindly refrain from hunting for $$.
To base a hunting trip on earning money off the parts is legal, but ethical? NO.
Perhaps us as hunters could for once take a proactive approach to laws and regulations and say no to this type of hunting before our lousy govt and anti hunters decide for us. Sheep, goats, black bear and mtn lions are on the NDP/Green hit list.
As hunters we are obligated to hunt for the future so our children and grandchildren can enjoy such fantastic resources as well.

ok then

If I go hunting and end up with a cape I don’t want to mount and then sell it, it’s OK.

If the sole reason I set out on a hunting trip is to profit from parts it’s BAD.

Got it.....

RobU
08-24-2018, 08:57 AM
ok then

If I go hunting and end up with a cape I don’t want to mount and then sell it, it’s OK.

If the sole reason I set out on a hunting trip is to profit from parts it’s BAD.

Got it.....
Absolutely.
Its a tough topic for sure.
Times are changing quickly for us. There is no need to draw unwanted attention.
For those who see $$ in hunting....Shame on you! Please stop. I’m saying this because it’s more common than we care to believe.

northof49
08-24-2018, 09:09 AM
I dont know the value of this thread

.....agreed

eatram
08-24-2018, 09:23 AM
So here is the thing... Yes, you can see it both ways. Let's talk about sheep for the sake of arguement here. A sheep cape you can get probably just over a grand for. Yes, that is a fist-full of dollars. As somebody who has hunted these animals quite extensively, this amount does not come close to covering my costs. I don't believe that there are but more than a handfull of sheep hunters willing to shoot a legal sheep just because they can sell the cape. More likely, is that they would have shot the "small legal sheep" anyways because they "need" to come home successfull. They just use the $ excuse to justify it to the buddies. The supply of sheep capes to the marketplace keeps the value on the capes low. This is a really good thing. If you were not allowed to sell the capes, the price would be very very high. Just think about it. A hunter from the usa shoots a sheep and paid $50,000 plus for this opertunity. The guide has a critter come into his cape shack, and destroys the hide. This guide WILL find a cape for this client, and I wonder how much the hide would cost then... maybe 10-15k? I don't know. Maybe then a sheep WOULD get shot by the guides themselves just to get a hide. Yes, this is all speculation. But I would bet that people would ACTUALLY spend the 5k to go sheep hunting in order to sell that cape for 15k.

RobU
08-24-2018, 09:43 AM
So here is the thing... Yes, you can see it both ways. Let's talk about sheep for the sake of arguement here. A sheep cape you can get probably just over a grand for. Yes, that is a fist-full of dollars. As somebody who has hunted these animals quite extensively, this amount does not come close to covering my costs. I don't believe that there are but more than a handfull of sheep hunters willing to shoot a legal sheep just because they can sell the cape. More likely, is that they would have shot the "small legal sheep" anyways because they "need" to come home successfull. They just use the $ excuse to justify it to the buddies. The supply of sheep capes to the marketplace keeps the value on the capes low. This is a really good thing. If you were not allowed to sell the capes, the price would be very very high. Just think about it. A hunter from the usa shoots a sheep and paid $50,000 plus for this opertunity. The guide has a critter come into his cape shack, and destroys the hide. This guide WILL find a cape for this client, and I wonder how much the hide would cost then... maybe 10-15k? I don't know. Maybe then a sheep WOULD get shot by the guides themselves just to get a hide. Yes, this is all speculation. But I would bet that people would ACTUALLY spend the 5k to go sheep hunting in order to sell that cape for 15k.

Very good points. Recently the value of life size stone cape has been set at 3k US.
Without a doubt I can do an amazing trip on that dime. Regardless putting a value like this on them can lead to questionable hunting ethics. And yes this is happening a lot. Sad but true.

08-24-2018, 09:48 AM
Very good points. Recently the value of life size stone cape has been set at 3k US.
Without a doubt I can do an amazing trip on that dime. Regardless putting a value like this on them can lead to questionable hunting ethics. And yes this is happening a lot. Sad but true.

But if the ram is legal and passes inspection, where is the problem??

Apollo
08-24-2018, 10:02 AM
But if the ram is legal and passes inspection, where is the problem??

I believe our laws shouldn't govern our ethics, our ethics should govern our laws.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's ethical. Using deer piss as an attractant is no longer legal, does that mean it's always been unethical? I don't think so. It's goes both ways.

I don't think the question is CAN I sell a cape, it's more SHOULD I sell a cape. If the larger community thinks it's fine, it's probably fine. I personally don't see a problem with it.

zippermouth
08-24-2018, 10:05 AM
Absolutely.
Its a tough topic for sure.
Times are changing quickly for us. There is no need to draw unwanted attention.
For those who see $$ in hunting....Shame on you! Please stop. I’m saying this because it’s more common than we care to believe.
so should guide/outfitters be shut down, or just stop? they are making money directly from hunting.

boxhitch
08-24-2018, 11:34 AM
In the animal kingdom , animals eating their own kind is a form of crowding control, to eliminate competition
Never is it done out of spite

RobU
08-24-2018, 11:43 AM
so should guide/outfitters be shut down, or just stop? they are making money directly from hunting.

So so many good points and questions.
We need to discuss sensitive topics. Ask ourselves the hard questions because asking-the NDP/GREEN after the fact would be a tragedy.

08-24-2018, 11:48 AM

More division amongst hunters is definitely not something we need. GOs and residents really want the same thing - healthy, productive and properly managed wildlife.

bearvalley
08-24-2018, 12:10 PM
In the animal kingdom , animals eating their own kind is a form of crowding control, to eliminate competition
Never is it done out of spite

How true.

Should we shut down packers, air charter businesses...etc.
They make money off hunting.

Or would it be simpler to implement a one in three rule or a 5 year sit out if a hunter (resident or non resident) harvests a sheep of one sub species, thinhorn or bighorn.
BC is the only place that can provide that kind of option for wild sheep.....might be worth thinking about.....I bet a few guys would be more selective if they couldn’t get an over the counter sheep tag every year.
Simple cocept.... if you don’t pull the trigger you hunt until you do...after you shoot it’s time out on the bench.
If the guy still wants to sell the cape.... the more power to him.

bearvalley
08-24-2018, 12:12 PM
More division amongst hunters is definitely not something we need. GOs and residents really want the same thing - healthy, productive and properly managed wildlife.

You’re right on that!

silvertipp
08-24-2018, 12:39 PM
I'm no t sure I understand the problem
i can go shed hunting and sell my sheds
i can go mushroom picking and sell them but ethically I shouldn't use or sell portions of my kill that might otherwise go to waste
because it hurts someone's feelings
ridiculous

j270wsm
08-24-2018, 12:55 PM
2014 my son and I both harvested goats and both animals were caped out for shoulder mounts. Due to a lack of funds it was going to be a few yrs before I could get either animal mounted. Knowing that we would have tons of oportunity to hunt goats again I decided to sell both capes to a taxidermist in exchange for work that was being done on my son's bear mount. Did I harvest the goats with the intention of selling the capes......NO! I ended up getting both goat skulls bleached and honestly prefer European mounts. Do I see anything wrong with selling a cape instead of letting it rot.....NO! Do I feel that it's wrong to harvest an animal, knowing it's not the size ( antler/horns ) you prefer, just to sell the cape.......YES!!

Stone Sheep Steve
08-24-2018, 01:51 PM
This year I didn't decide what I was doing with the cape until the scalpel was already cutting. To me it was a regular sheep hunt as per normal.

I love to chase thinhorms more than any other species. I love to be in the places they call home. That's why I hunt them.

SSS

eatram
08-24-2018, 03:00 PM
This year I didn't decide what I was doing with the cape until the scalpel was already cutting. To me it was a regular sheep hunt as per normal.

I love to chase thinhorms more than any other species. I love to be in the places they call home. That's why I hunt them.

SSS

Ditto. I enjoy the backpack on my back equally (if not more so) before the sheep gets put in there. But that generally comes with experience and success.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-24-2018, 04:02 PM
I also know someone who arrowed a beautiful 10 year old Stone. He's killed a bunch of great critters with his bow but he rarely mounts anything....except, of course, European mounts.

He certainly didn't kill that ram to sell that cape but, IMO, only a fool would leave it on the mountain to rot.

SSS

LBM
08-24-2018, 04:17 PM
I also know someone who arrowed a beautiful 10 year old Stone. He's killed a bunch of great critters with his but he rarely mounts anything....except, of course, European mounts.

He certainly didn't kill that ram to sell that cape but, IMO, only a fool would leave it on the mountain to rot.

SSS
Why is one considered a fool if he leaves the cape on the mountain if he has no plan on mounting it.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Why is one considered a fool if he leaves the cape on the mountain if he has no plan on mounting it.

I guess if a person was wealthy then they wouldn't care....but if I was a working stiff (like I am) then I wouldn't leave a $1000 bill on the ground.

People wreck capes on occasion and look for a replacement.

horshur
08-24-2018, 04:29 PM
Canada was built on the commerce of pelts. FWIW. Times have changed but resource extraction is still a major portion of the economy.

bearvalley
08-24-2018, 04:47 PM
I also know someone who arrowed a beautiful 10 year old Stone. He's killed a bunch of great critters with his but he rarely mounts anything....except, of course, European mounts.

SSS

You nailed it Brent.
Every hunter should sheep hunt at least once in their life time.
Not everyone wants a mount.
Why waste the cape?

boxhitch
08-24-2018, 06:13 PM
.......Or would it be simpler to implement a one in three rule or a 5 year sit out if a hunter (resident or non resident) harvests a sheep of one sub species, thinhorn or bighorn.
BC is the only place that can provide that kind of option for wild sheep.....might be worth thinking about.....I bet a few guys would be more selective if they couldn’t get an over the counter sheep tag every year.
Simple cocept.... if you don’t pull the trigger you hunt until you do...after you shoot it’s time out on the bench.
If the guy still wants to sell the cape.... the more power to him............Nothing to do with the topic at hand....or sheep conservation, just a people control.......to what end?

bearvalley
08-24-2018, 06:22 PM
Nothing to do with the topic at hand....or sheep conservation, just a people control.......to what end?

Sure would stop it from being an annual habit.......

boxhitch
08-24-2018, 06:31 PM
We all have our vices

bearvalley
08-24-2018, 06:37 PM
We all have our vices

So, so true!
Lets face it Bill, there are guys that can kill a ram every year...the number that are selling capes is too small to stress over.
The big issue facing wild sheep is electronic data collecting and exchanging combined.
I don’t think many old school sheep hunters will disagree with me on that.

Gateholio
08-24-2018, 07:40 PM
A number of years ago two hunters I knew heard about the bug bucks they could make if they shot a ram, did a full cape and sold the cape and the horns. They were both very fit and had plenty of backcountry experience but no sheep hunting experience. They set out with dollar signs in their eyes, despite me letting them know that they might end up in the red rather than the black. They were sure that they could go every year and make some good dollars to pad their income.

Sure enough, a few weeks later I see them, seems they were keeping their day jobs

:)

eatram
08-24-2018, 11:36 PM
I guess if a person was wealthy then they wouldn't care....but if I was a working stiff (like I am) then I wouldn't leave a $1000 bill on the ground.

Plus, if everyone who didn't want or need the cape sold the cape, the market would drop the price and problem solved?! (if it were a problem to begin with...)

RobU
08-25-2018, 07:20 AM
Plus, if everyone who didn't want or need the cape sold the cape, the market would drop the price and problem solved?! (if it were a problem to begin with...)

Very good point!
supply and demand.
Very difficult to monitor the reasons people choose to hunt. Big difference between selling a cape because you don’t need or want it vs hunting for a cape because it will net you extra income.
I personally know the problem exists with hunting for capes but the extent of this activity is unknown.
My fear with questionable hunting ethics is directly connected to the grizzly hunting ban and giving the activists more reasons to shut down more species available to us now. I can only assume we all share these concerns.

RobU
08-25-2018, 08:21 AM

Lets not allow our personal wealth or lack of it to justify our means. Most of us are working stiffs

08-25-2018, 08:24 AM
I've given a few away to help those that have some how wrecked theirs. FREE. Trying to help others.
Wouldnt feel right selling them. JMO

LBM
08-25-2018, 08:37 AM
So, so true!
Lets face it Bill, there are guys that can kill a ram every year...the number that are selling capes is too small to stress over.
The big issue facing wild sheep is electronic data collecting and exchanging combined.
I don’t think many old school sheep hunters will disagree with me on that.

What is the number of those selling capes.

LBM
08-25-2018, 08:46 AM
How true.

Should we shut down packers, air charter businesses...etc.
They make money off hunting.

Or would it be simpler to implement a one in three rule or a 5 year sit out if a hunter (resident or non resident) harvests a sheep of one sub species, thinhorn or bighorn.
If the guy still wants to sell the cape.... the more power to him.

IMO think sheep and goats in many areas should be on 1 in 3 or 5. some areas of region 4 had changes for sheep this year there is a few more MUs that should go on LEH before its to late. Heck lots of the guys say there just out there for they just like the country they live in. If they have shot a sheep or goat doesn't mean they have to
sit at home they can still go and take others out, they just cant be the shooter.

bearvalley
08-25-2018, 08:48 AM
What is the number of those selling capes.

i would think not very many.

Andrewh
08-25-2018, 08:49 AM
Just like SSS has said, people destroy capes especially on August hunts where heat is an issue. Take a few first timers and have them correctly flesh, turn ears, split lips/eyes and keep enough cape and see how many can do it. That number won't be 100%, could be 90% but I bet 1/10 will goof something up if it is the first time not dropping a 'full head' off at the taxi.

That being said, my first ram I messed up on turning the ears. I turned them into two pieces!!!! I just kept turning and well you end up with cartilage in one hand and the hide in the other. Mistakes happen, luckily my taxi was able to glue it back together so no big deal.

Pack out a hide, you might be doing someone a HUGE favour that messed up a hide. I would have paid the $800-1000 for a hide for my first ram if I did mess it up beyond repair, it was a very special ram.

I have no problem saying that I have kept 3 out of 4 capes for myself, my third ram was special but I had no plans of mounting it other than euro style in an old Packer-Nelson bag. So I made the easy decision to leave it in the hands of my taxi for a credit.

bearvalley
08-25-2018, 08:53 AM
IMO think sheep and goats in many areas should be on 1 in 3 or 5. some areas of region 4 had changes for sheep this year there is a few more MUs that should go on LEH before its to late. Heck lots of the guys say there just out there for they just like the country they live in. If they have shot a sheep or goat doesn't mean they have to
sit at home they can still go and take others out, they just cant be the shooter.

I can’t disagree with your line of thinking here.

LBM
08-25-2018, 09:03 AM
Just like SSS has said, people destroy capes especially on August hunts where heat is an issue. Take a few first timers and have them correctly flesh, turn ears, split lips/eyes and keep enough cape and see how many can do it. That number won't be 100%, could be 90% but I bet 1/10 will goof something up if it is the first time not dropping a 'full head' off at the taxi.

That being said, my first ram I messed up on turning the ears. I turned them into two pieces!!!! I just kept turning and well you end up with cartilage in one hand and the hide in the other. Mistakes happen, luckily my taxi was able to glue it back together so no big deal.

Pack out a hide, you might be doing someone a HUGE favour that messed up a hide. I would have paid the $800-1000 for a hide for my first ram if I did mess it up beyond repair, it was a very special ram.

I have no problem saying that I have kept 3 out of 4 capes for myself, my third ram was special but I had no plans of mounting it other than euro style in an old Packer-Nelson bag. So I made the easy decision to leave it in the hands of my taxi for a credit.

Agree with what you are saying, but think what the OP was talking about was people shooting something they dint really want other then the money they were getting from the cape/hide.
One thing I don't quit get is you say you would have bought a cape for your first ram for it was a very special ram to you, but in that case if you had to do that then it is not really yours
when you look at it. I don't think I will have any more sheep or goats mounted other then euros but would bring out the capes for do know others that will use them.

BRrooster
08-26-2018, 12:53 PM
I tagged a very nice Mulie many years ago, and messed up the cape. The taxidermist that I talked to said he had a cape that I could have him mount my deer with,
but it just seemed wrong to me. It just wasn't my deer , so the antlers are all that are on my wall. This was way before Euro mounts were popular.
On the other hand that is just my opinion, if someone has no problem with another animals cape on there wall, well, that's your choice.

Krico
08-26-2018, 06:54 PM
Another way to look at it is that selling the cape is just another form of sustenance. What does $400, $1,000 or even $3,000 buy you?
A hug pile of veggies, carbs and drinks to enjoy with your organic wild game, that’s what.
And it ends up in less “waste” than leaving the cape to rot.

Too many folks confuse their own opinion with what is ethical. They are not mutually exclusive, I don’t care who you are.

bearvalley
08-26-2018, 07:27 PM
Another way to look at it is that selling the cape is just another form of sustenance. What does $400, $1,000 or even $3,000 buy you?
A hug pile of veggies, carbs and drinks to enjoy with your organic wild game, that’s what.
And it ends up in less “waste” than leaving the cape to rot.

Too many folks confuse their own opinion with what is ethical. They are not mutually exclusive, I don’t care who you are.

In my opinion trading wildsheep capes for veggies, carbs and drinks or cash and trying to justify it as a sustenance or subsistence hunt is kind of stretching it a bit.
But then, as they say...opinions are like A holes...everyone’s got one.

Krico
08-26-2018, 11:06 PM
I would take it even a step further and suggest very little hunting these days is for sustenance or substistence. Once you factor in what most folks spend on gear, fuel etc you can get meat much cheaper per pound at the grocery store or your local farmer.
I just hate to see restrictions come about because people think since they don’t want to do something, nobody should be allowed.
I really doubt very many big game animals hit the dirt just for the cape. Of course nobody has any actual data on that so we are all just guessing.

I am curious, for those against the selling of capes, does that apply to all species, or just some? What about trapping and the selling of those hides?

Krico
08-27-2018, 02:19 PM
In my opinion trading wildsheep capes for veggies, carbs and drinks or cash and trying to justify it as a sustenance or subsistence hunt is kind of stretching it a bit.

Oh the irony.

wideopenthrottle
08-27-2018, 02:51 PM
never heard that you could get so much for a sheep cape...you may have just created a few copycat sheep hunters looking for profit.....maybe post up a couple of home made explosive recipes and ask us which recipe for explosives we think is more dangerous and should not be allowed...

bearvalley
08-27-2018, 03:07 PM
But then, as they say...opinions are like A holes...everyone’s got one.

Oh the irony.

Krico, after you’ve explained what’s ironic and seeing as how we’ve already gone over ethics maybe we should discuss legalities.

walks with deer
08-27-2018, 08:31 PM
so how much is a sheep cape worth?

eatram
08-27-2018, 09:35 PM

For the sake of keeping the peace, if you've got one to sell, call a taxidermist. If you've got one to buy, call a taxidermist. It really isn't all that much. If you can recover about 25% of a 2 week jetboat/flyin trip, youre doing ok.

Rackmastr
08-27-2018, 09:36 PM

$1500-4500ish for a lifesize cape depending on a bunch of variables

bownut
08-27-2018, 09:47 PM

It's not worth the regrets when it hit the dirt. If you reflect on the reasons why you plan a trip and spend the money heading to far away places, you will find the true value and rewards.
Most times that extra second makes all the difference, after all everyone knows that the work begins when your harvest is complete.

A good friend once said to me " Holy Shit It's just Horns and Hide, What about the Adventure?"
What is it really worth, that's the question.
Most never think of the Market Value of Capes, but when the system allows it, the cards fall where the will.
Don't know the answer, but I'm impressed with the comments.
Thanks again
Oh and I'm sorry some members felt put out by my question, they know who they are.