PDA

View Full Version : thinking about getting a gps, whats your thoughts

newbie604
08-22-2018, 02:57 PM
hello everyone, i'm was thinking about buying myself a handheld gps for hunting this year. i planning on pounding the ground pretty hard and would like to get one to help keep track of me. i'm not rich by any means so i won't be able to buy the best of the best. so i've been looking at cabelas at the garmin handheld 64 and 64s. do any of you have one of these? how do you like them? did you buy the backroads sd card? should i look at something else. thanks best of luck to everyone this year, may your aim be true.

mmckimmi
08-22-2018, 03:10 PM
I have the 64s and am generally pretty pleased with it. You're on the right track with getting a 3rd party map pack as the contour map that it comes with the unit is utterly useless. Some decent free options are available online if you don't want to spend the 100 bucks for the backroads map: gpsfiledepot.com

Have you considered an inreach? The model with topo maps is pretty expensive along with the monthly subscription fee. But if you're doing a lot of multi day backcountry stuff it would be something to consider.

todbartell
08-22-2018, 03:13 PM
Cant go wrong with a Garmin and the BC micro SD card

Blair
08-22-2018, 04:06 PM
I have a Garmin (about 5 years old) and I don't bother with it any more. I have two map programs loaded on my IPhone and I use that as my GPS. The free maps are WAY better than the expensive maps on the Garmin and the resolution much better. I am not sure what advantages the newer GPS models have but I am sticking with my phone for now. Just put it on airplane mode so it doesn't waste the battery searching for a cell signal and away you go.

fozzy
08-22-2018, 04:23 PM
I have a Garmin (about 5 years old) and I don't bother with it any more. I have two map programs loaded on my IPhone and I use that as my GPS. The free maps are WAY better than the expensive maps on the Garmin and the resolution much better. I am not sure what advantages the newer GPS models have but I am sticking with my phone for now. Just put it on airplane mode so it doesn't waste the battery searching for a cell signal and away you go.
Sorry to derail the OP's thread but what maps do you use with phone?

fozzy
08-22-2018, 04:29 PM
Ive had a few garmins over the years, nice piece of mind to double check with if you get turned around and to mark where the truck is parked. I have topo canada loaded on mine and find thats all I need for maps. Some of them come with that loaded already

Have you looked at gpscity.ca and gpscentral.ca?

srupp
08-22-2018, 08:17 PM
Hmm I bought a garmin 610 montana..from gps central..got a bc maps card..great unit.
Steven

mike31154
08-23-2018, 05:07 AM
Had Oregon with topo Canada for years, great little unit, served me well. Replaced with Montana 610 recently & was able to xfer the topo to it. Have a gps app on my phone as well but much prefer the more rugged purpose built Garmin for stumbling around in the backcountry. Black Friday sale gpscity.

plumberjustin
08-23-2018, 05:57 AM
For me, simplicity and battery life are key. Never been a big fan of bells and whistles and features I'd don't need. I've been using a simple Garmin etrex 20 for the past several years with zero complaints. Add the backroad Mapbook sd card and you're set.

Luka77
08-23-2018, 06:06 AM
Sorry to derail the OP's thread but what maps do you use with phone?

Probably GAIA GPS. I have the same thing on my Iphone and it doesn't need cell signal to work and it is not hard on battery. I had it on recording mode (recording my route) for over 5h, as I forgot to turn it off on our way back home and battery usage was normal and I didn't even put in airplane mode. I just had wi-fi and bluetooth turned off.

kaptin
08-23-2018, 06:42 AM
not trying to derail thread either. I use hunt buddy and can place pins as well as track my route. I don't feel I need a GPS. In 4 years of using hunt buddy it has not let me down. So worth it if you have an iphone.

newbie604
08-23-2018, 02:22 PM
thanks for the input everyone. I guess I have some things to consider now. cheers and heers to not getting lost this year

RyoTHC
08-23-2018, 03:32 PM
I run the 64st as a few others have mentioned and besides it eating batteries during heavy use, ive yet to run into any issues it's durable and reliable.

Lionhill
08-23-2018, 03:52 PM
Motion x GPS and an external battery, iphone SE. 6 days of straight use, recharge in vehicle for another six days.

ajr5406
08-23-2018, 04:22 PM
Why not spend $15 and get the Hunt Buddy app and map package for your phone and then save your $$$ for the Garmin Inreach for next year?

i use the Hunt Buddy app with maps and find it very useful and user friendly.

kelowna.jordan
08-23-2018, 05:16 PM
IHunterbc is a great app. Has all of BC on it, breaking it down into MU's. You click on amy MU and it tells you whats open, closed or coming up. Great app. I use it as well as my Garmin Dakota 20

newbie604
08-24-2018, 07:24 AM
so having an android phone which app do you prefer. I've heard talk about hunt buddy and others but not sure which one for which phone. so yeah I have a galaxy 8 android. thanks again

hoochie
08-25-2018, 01:01 PM
I use a 62s.
I like the feature that I can upload it to my PC, and it can overlay into google earth. My google earth is set up with the MU's, and when I have my GPS "On" it can track everywhere I was in the bush, and I can then load it into google earth and mark where I have scouted, or harvested animals. I can look at google earth and get an idea of where I might want to go next time, and have a great record of where I have harvested.

To me, that is far more valuable and useful than an App.

coldbuc69
08-25-2018, 11:21 PM
make sure you download Runtastic on your phone. Will show yopu were you've gone even with out Cell Service, then when you get back into service it will download and overlay onto goggle maps

Pinewood
08-26-2018, 09:25 AM
Anybody use OnX? Records routes etc. Apparently they are coming out with Canadian maps.