PDA

View Full Version : Reusable Game Bags

Savage230
08-22-2018, 07:39 AM
I am just looking for some advice on a reusable Game bags. What brand, size and best bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance.

Gone_Fishin_
08-22-2018, 07:48 AM
Walmart extra large pillow cases or bed sheets sewn together. Ten times more durable than any game bag and can wash and use again for years.

A buddy of mine picked up some pillow cases that had zippers on them, almost like the ones you see in a hospital. Worked pretty slick and was nice to be able to zip it up to keep everything neat and clean plus bug free.

Wentrot
08-22-2018, 07:58 AM
I use the caribou game bags, work excellent. Far exceeds a pillow case.

kootenaihunter
08-22-2018, 08:03 AM
I like my caribou game bags as well.

StuBrown
08-22-2018, 08:09 AM
I have a couple of sets of T.A.G. bags. I absolutely love them.

ditch donkey
08-22-2018, 08:10 AM
anyone tried the black ovis bags?

huntcoop
08-22-2018, 08:16 AM
My wife would shoot me if I was caught washing in the family machine!!

TreeStandMan
08-22-2018, 08:52 AM

I have the Black Ovis bags. They seem good and durable, and come packaged to make a nice little kill-kit, but I haven't got them bloody yet, so I'm not really sure.

The last few years I've been using Hunter's Specialties bags, and after using them with two mulies, I can report that they work fine, although I'd worry about durability if I was in the back country, which is why I got the Black Ovis bags.

Savage230
08-22-2018, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the info. With the pillow cases have you experienced any breathe ability issues? Does it allow the meat to cool properly? Usually after I've hung my game and it has tacked up I wrap it in bed sheets to keep it clean but that's after it is cool.

walks with deer
08-22-2018, 09:11 AM
my mom makes them for my dad and i with a industrial cheesecloth....
and my mom and wife would both kill me if i didnt wash them in the washing machine...lol no soap just vinegar.

BRvalley
08-22-2018, 09:28 AM
the caribou bags look pretty good, just haven't brought myself to splurge on them yet

I reuse the cheap bags from walmart/Canadian tire, $15/4 pack and have had my 2 packs for about 4-5 years now...I do a quick cleaning with the garden hose and soak in a bucket to get the bulk of the dirt off them, then wash them with bleach and detergent, double rinse, works good for me

bigripper
08-22-2018, 09:52 AM

The Black Ovis bags are great, I will be using mine for the third time this season

ditch donkey
08-22-2018, 10:56 AM
glad to hear the ovis bags are good since i have a set on route from camofire

Jimbob
08-22-2018, 11:20 AM
Caribou game bags worked great for me on a bear, sheep, and goat this year. Lightweight, strong and cleaned up well. Garden hose --> soak in bucket with soapy water overnight --> washing machine with bleach and detergent.

I have used many other cheap versions in the past on moose and they worked but they were heavy and not as durable as the caribou. I will be investing in more in the future that will handle moose size game.

Ron.C
08-22-2018, 11:42 AM
X2 on the caribou bags. We've re-used the same bags on elk, deer, goats and bears. Used to use Alaskan bags but had two tear out on me.

dakoda62
08-22-2018, 11:44 AM
Made our own out 10oz canvas, with cinch cord sewn in.

twoSevenO
08-22-2018, 01:14 PM
Pillow cases for me as well .... not the lightest option but they are cheap reusable and way stronger than your average game bag that stretches enough for me to put a finger through the mesh

srupp
08-22-2018, 01:43 PM
Hmm another vote for Caribou game bags..exellent quality great value..

A few years ago we were using home made game bags...washing reusing..

Heard a blood screeming horrendous screetch from Susan...she was standing in the laundry room...washed game bag in one hand..an object in the other..the scream..when Susan REALIZED the object was a washed rinsed bull moose resticle..

See TIDE really does remove..EVERYTHING..ha ha ha
Steven

Savage230
08-22-2018, 02:07 PM
That is a great story and I am sure my wife would freak as well. I might have to go with the reusable ones.

Heard a blood screeming horrendous screetch from Susan...she was standing in the laundry room...washed game bag in one hand..an object in the other..the scream..when Susan REALIZED the object was a washed rinsed bull moose resticle..

Steven

weatherby_man
08-22-2018, 02:10 PM
Made our own as well out of 10oz canvas like dakoda did. We made a few different sizes.

Dash
08-22-2018, 02:14 PM

Steven

hahahaha I just about spat out my coffee. I'd probably freak too to be honest lol

Frank grimes
08-22-2018, 05:32 PM
What about packability? How much smaller do caribou bags get then a couple of pillow cases? Trying to take up less room in my daypack.

knothead
08-22-2018, 05:45 PM

Where did you get your T.A.G. bags from? Did you have them shipped from the States?

MichelD
08-22-2018, 06:24 PM
My wife makes mine out of bed sheets.

I had wash them thoroughly in buckets with plenty of soap and borax before machine washing them.

2chodi
08-22-2018, 07:29 PM
Extra large parts bags - similar material as grain bags.

Treed
08-22-2018, 08:02 PM
I use the cotton bags for hanging sleeping bags in. Built in cinch. Cheap and work well.

Seth
08-22-2018, 08:19 PM
TAG bags for me. No complaints, super lite weight, and they wash very easily. I was going to purchase the Black Ovis bags but had a hell of a time finding any in stock so opted for the TAG’s.

StuBrown
08-22-2018, 08:53 PM
Where did you get your T.A.G. bags from? Did you have them shipped from the States?

Yes, from Alaska.

Dash
09-07-2018, 12:32 AM
Where is everyone getting their caribou gear game bags from? Are there any Canadian retailers?

Weatherby Fan
09-07-2018, 12:43 AM
I bought a few of the Large KUIU bags, washable, breathable, lightweight with a zipper, I see they have changed the style now have a draw string and a new higher price !

LuckyIfYouGetOne
09-07-2018, 12:43 AM
I vaccum pack my game bags so they take as little as room as possible in my pack

Dash
09-07-2018, 10:03 AM
I vaccum pack my game bags so they take as little as room as possible in my pack

That's very clever!

longwalk
09-07-2018, 10:14 AM
My wife made mine by sewing bed sheets together. Dirt cheap from Value Village. Great for a whole deer. Getting my fourth year out of them, youth and regular season.

Mike93gt
09-08-2018, 06:48 AM
I use these to transport game when the weather is on the warm side and meat spoilage is a concern. They work great but are not cheap or very compact.

http://www.trophybagkooler.com

SR80
09-08-2018, 07:12 AM
T.A.G bomb bags. Two large ones will fit a big mule deer no problem. Two of those suckers filled with meat is a heavy effin load.

steve-r
09-08-2018, 06:19 PM
Yep, TAG bags all the way. Durable, washable, good draw string, no flies, and air passes thru for faster cooling, drying as its made of parachute cloth

Camomutt
09-08-2018, 06:28 PM
Where do you get TAG bags?

BCbuckhunter
09-08-2018, 07:18 PM
TAG bags can be had from Roklside,https://store.rokslide.com/kill-kits-c2.aspx or the guy that makes them in Alaska, https://pristineventures.com/products/t-a-g-bags-2/

Salix
09-08-2018, 07:36 PM
I’m using both TAG bags and a set of the Black Ovis bags. Both are good and light weight. I would say I prefer the TAG bags a bit more than the Ovis bags. The TAG bags are a bit bigger and handle an elk quarter much better than the Ovis bags (not long enough). Have used the TAG bags for a few years and they have been washed many times and still in good shape. Last year was the first year with the Ovis bags and they washed up well.
I found the rockslide website the best price for the TAG bags. The shipping from the manufacturer is a rip off if shipping to Canada.

Blockcaver
09-08-2018, 08:41 PM
TAG bags for backpack hunts...old home-made pillow case size game bags I've used for 25 years if near the truck or quad, and larger homemade versions for moose. We used cheap cotton bed sheet material for the homemade versions but they are 3X as heavy and bulky as TAG bags. TAG bags are tough as heck too.

Steve, you story on Susan finding evidence of sex in her washing machine was hilarious!!!

srupp
09-08-2018, 09:20 PM
TAG bags for backpack hunts...old home-made pillow case size game bags I've used for 25 years if near the truck or quad, and larger homemade versions for moose. We used cheap cotton bed sheet material for the homemade versions but they are 3X as heavy and bulky as TAG bags. TAG bags are tough as heck too.

Steve, you story on Susan finding evidence of sex in her washing machine was hilarious!!!

Lol yes still chuckle at the memory of Susan at that moment..anyone who has had the pleasure of meeting Susan knows she is a God fearing prim and proper Lady in every sense of the word..at that moment she definately did not feel lady like or prim and proper..and everyone from 100 mile house to Quesnel heard her exclamation. ..
Steven

ditch donkey
10-26-2018, 03:51 PM
used my new black ovis bags on my goat trip this year and they worked great. Just cleaned them in a bucket of warm soapy water with a splash of bleach and they came out spottless.

reel lucky
10-29-2018, 09:04 AM
Check out High Caliber products in Calgary. They sell a 24 inch x 36 feet roll of reuseable of cheesecloth for $13. It stretches and is very durable, easy to tie and cut to make a custom bag.

walker1985
05-04-2021, 08:23 PM
What do you guys do to wash the smell out? As soon as I got home from dropping the meat off at the butchers I threw them in a tub of cold water and let them soak for a day. I forgot to add the dish soap though ����. I ended up taking them out after a day of soaking in cold water and rinsed them and then let them air dry on the lawn and tossed then in the wash machine with detergent but they still have some stains and a bit of smell from the bear. I tossed them back in the tub WITH dish soap and I'm going to repeat these steps. What do you guys do for washing these reusable bags? I don't really care about the stains just the smell and I want to make sure it's food safe.

Would Rather Be Fishing
05-04-2021, 08:46 PM
I use oxygen based bleach (not chlorine bleach)

grantk
05-04-2021, 09:04 PM
Check out the Allen Backcountry game bags.

Imdone
05-04-2021, 09:20 PM
Large high quality and stich count Pillow Cases.

Use over and over.

MichelD
05-04-2021, 09:41 PM
What do you guys do to wash the smell out? As soon as I got home from dropping the meat off at the butchers I threw them in a tub of cold water and let them soak for a day. I forgot to add the dish soap though ����. I ended up taking them out after a day of soaking in cold water and rinsed them and then let them air dry on the lawn and tossed then in the wash machine with detergent but they still have some stains and a bit of smell from the bear. I tossed them back in the tub WITH dish soap and I'm going to repeat these steps. What do you guys do for washing these reusable bags? I don't really care about the stains just the smell and I want to make sure it's food safe.

I've soaked home made meat bags made of sheets in a mix of cold water and dish soap and borax (baking soda will do) overnight and rinsed them out many times before even putting them in the washing machine.

Dustee
05-05-2021, 07:47 AM
I have some that I made with ripstop fabric. They are fantastic! You just have to make sure you get the stuff that doesn't have a DWR spray so they can breathe. I got the idea from the Argali game bags a buddy of mine has as they are a quick wash at the end of the trip and back to normal with no smells. This way I was also able to get sizes I wanted compared to sizes that are generic. Not to mention, there are a lot of colours to choose from, my just happen to be in robins egg blue, which makes for easy identification when hanging in a tree.

CJ

Pacemaker
05-05-2021, 07:57 AM
For moose and deer hunting, I made up a set of 4 queen sized bed sheets that I sewed up like a gigantic oversized pillow case. Bought brand new sheets on sale for obvious reasons. They will easily cover a full quarter of moose or a full deer when hanging in a tree or transporting in a vehicle. They clean up real well and don’t take up much storage room. Works just fine for our needs..

Westslope
05-05-2021, 08:22 AM
Prophet River Firearms sells the Caribou Bags. I have used them on moose and caribou and have no complaints. They wash out really well, look and smell like new, I just follow the directions they provide for washing.

j270wsm
05-05-2021, 08:33 AM
I leave my bags soaking outside in a bucket of water for a few days. Each day I stir the bags and change the water. When the water in the bucket is clear or has very little blood in it I mix in a bunch of bleach. I’ll keep stirring the bags for a few more days to make sure there as clean as possible before throwing them in the washer. Bags usually come out looking brand new and have never smelled.

wideopenthrottle
05-05-2021, 09:03 AM
careful on how much/how long you do on the bleach if using Chlorine bleach on cotton...it drastically reduces the strength of the fabric after even a few bleachings.

MOOSE MILK
05-05-2021, 07:17 PM
Caribou bags, wash up great.
Looked into buying canvas to make our own, not worth the effort and cost almost as much as all ready made bags.