PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail between Savona and Deadman Lake

browningboy
08-20-2018, 08:35 PM
I have been told there’s a pocket of white tails in this area, I’ve been through and seen Mulies but no whitetails, anyone have any sightings of them in this area? Pretty liberal season and would like to try to get one of these monarchs!
or are they more Okanagan?

white moose
08-20-2018, 08:37 PM
Ive seen some around fatox lake area. This was in october.

Brian011
08-20-2018, 08:50 PM
I saw a couple does in a field within the reserve this spring but you would probably have a better opportunity for a whitetail in the okanagan

twoSevenO
08-20-2018, 09:00 PM
decent population a little further south .... Tunkwa area.

browningboy
08-20-2018, 09:41 PM
Thanks, I will take a look around mid sept for something to do.. be pretty cool finding some

Steelpulse
08-20-2018, 10:08 PM
There are white tails in the entire region around Kamloops. For the most part down low

dereke
08-20-2018, 11:03 PM
Go get some trail cams and put some boots on the ground where you suspect they’d be. The Whitetail game is so addicting and just because you don’t see them doesn’t mean they aren’t there. Cagey *******s they are...

digger dogger
08-21-2018, 06:50 AM
decent population a little further south .... Tunkwa area.

I killed my first BC, white tail right around Tunkwa.
They are there.

LuckyHorseshoe
08-21-2018, 06:57 AM
Logan lake, tunkwa, lac le jeune alk have pockets of white tails. I know a few hunters who have taken nice bucks from these areas. I had a trailcam up that way one year, got one photo of a excellent 6x6. Never could get him figured out tho

russm86
08-21-2018, 08:54 AM
As others have mentioned there are whitetail (lots actually) through out the entire Kamloops region (region 3) but you can't hunt for them the same as Muleys here, can't just drive around or even hike around. Gotta know where they are and set up a blind and wait. See my trail cam pic thread, never knew there were whitetails in this particular area at all until I set up trail cams as I had only ever seen muleys around, now it looks like it's 95% white tails, almost no muleys. White tails are cagey, even more so once the season, especially the doe season, opens up.

browningboy
08-21-2018, 10:31 AM
I'm going to head up this weekend to put up a camera for shits and giggles, I know where there's lots of deer traffic so see what we can come up with? That's if mudslides don't happen...

I'm thinking with the liberal season it would be kind of cool to learn how to hunt them in my area where I have a cabin! Have to watch some rattling videos of the hillbillies down south!

walks with deer
08-21-2018, 10:42 AM
as you gain elevation in region 3 above the sagebrush there is a seam in many areas where the decidous starts below the fir or spruce forests.

That my freind is where you find whitetails.

if you see 1 they are like rabbits there will be thirty more starring at you in the thick stuff.

most whitetails around region 3 are in pockets and are mostly nocturnal. i shoot most of them the last half hour of light.

That said the magic time of novemeber 18th until season end it is not uncommon to see a buck with his nose to the ground trailing a doe he will not if look up when you yell at him.. umm whitetail thats what i am having for lunch right now.

Darksith
08-21-2018, 10:53 AM
stay down low by vidette
http://i67.tinypic.com/fnteyt.jpg

browningboy
08-21-2018, 11:35 AM
Thats a great looking Whitey Darksith! Getting me excited to head out, the weather is looking like tonnes of rain this weekend so maybe head out for the long... Be pretty cool getting one of those bad boys...

rimfire
08-21-2018, 12:32 PM
I saw one last year near the highway between logan lake and the coq.

russm86
08-22-2018, 08:12 AM
White tails staying low is a bit of a myth/misconception. I have seen white tails higher than muleys, especially late in the season as they don't seem to migrate down like the muleys. I have personally seen them right up near the top of Sun Peaks and people hunt white tails up in the tops of the Peruvian Andes. They are extremely adaptable and resilient. I also think there are more than just pockets of them now in Region 3, they seem to be spreading out quite consistently. Have even seen them up Jamieson/Bonaparte plateau, one of the last areas I would have expected to see them but good luck hunting them there as most of it's so thick you can't walk through it. I agree with walks with deer on that if you see 1, there's likely 50 more out of sight.

bloody bellies
08-22-2018, 10:30 AM
like you said , pockets, need to find the small pockets

russm86
08-22-2018, 10:44 AM
like you said , pockets, need to find the small pockets

They aren't really just pockets anymore, pretty well taking over the region. Can't think of a general area within region 3 I have not found them.

twoSevenO
08-22-2018, 01:06 PM
Good info in this thread .... so is the WT rut on at the same time as mulie? Someone mentions Nov 18 above but I always figured for whites that it was a bit later in the season.

Ferenc
08-22-2018, 01:46 PM
Seen a bunch in the fields just past Red lake at the junction... I would think you might catch one on the back side of the lake ... Carbine hills

browningboy
08-22-2018, 07:57 PM
Thinking of rattling in a whitetail would be pretty cool! It will be a total different hunting style

bloody bellies
08-23-2018, 08:04 AM
They aren't really just pockets anymore, pretty well taking over the region. Can't think of a general area within region 3 I have not found them.

I haven't found the whities to migrate like the mulies where I hunt I region 3, I find they stay in their little area and don't really move, they head to the fields late and start heading back to their beds really early, I find if you want a shot at one you need to be sitting where they travel back to their beds atleast an hour before the sunrise, like 5am sitting and waiting, they spoke so easy, and once they know your there, game over, they will sound their alarm call, which is a high pitch scream to let others know somethings not right, then they all leave at this point pack up and go hunt mulies, also when hunting during the rut(November 18th) when walking in or trying to scout ALWAYS have a grunt tube, blow that sucker consistently like a dog sniffing the ground, this is what the bucks do they walk and sniff the ground and grunt, grunt, grunt grunt grunt, pause, grunt grunt grunt grunt, pause, then you may not spook em. then find your sitting spot, put out some tinks and sit and wait with the odd grunt once and a while, sit for about 4hrs or all day. not saying this is the only way to hunt these crafty animals but it is 1 way. good luck to all that are giving it a shot.

bloody bellies
08-23-2018, 08:06 AM
Thinking of rattling in a whitetail would be pretty cool! It will be a total different hunting style
I find a grunt tube works better than the rattle , but use both and fool em, when it all comes together using both, it feels real good that a person was able to do it and feels like an accomplishment, good luck, knock 1 down

Wild one
08-23-2018, 08:20 AM
Grunt works but I will take a doe bleat over a grunt call all day long. Rattling doe bleat combo hunting scrapes is deadly

as for the other advice given it is good but things vary a lot and have experienced contradictions to it all. It depends on the pockets you’re hunting

browningboy
08-23-2018, 08:34 AM
I find a grunt tube works better than the rattle , but use both and fool em, when it all comes together using both, it feels real good that a person was able to do it and feels like an accomplishment, good luck, knock 1 down

Thanks BB, I love hunting the muley rut for hogs, haven't gotten my hog yet but have seen them while hiking all over hell acres... The white tail chase is interesting, thinking of getting some scouting done along with some cameras, and possibly build a tree stand. It's more the thrill of the chase but obviously more gratifying when you tag out!

russm86
08-23-2018, 10:08 AM
Seen a bunch in the fields just past Red lake at the junction... I would think you might catch one on the back side of the lake ... Carbine hills

Lots and lots of private property up that way and not all posted (due diligence is on the hunters not the property owners by law) so be careful.

russm86
08-23-2018, 10:13 AM
I haven't found the whities to migrate like the mulies where I hunt I region 3, I find they stay in their little area and don't really move, they head to the fields late and start heading back to their beds really early, I find if you want a shot at one you need to be sitting where they travel back to their beds atleast an hour before the sunrise, like 5am sitting and waiting, they spoke so easy, and once they know your there, game over, they will sound their alarm call, which is a high pitch scream to let others know somethings not right, then they all leave at this point pack up and go hunt mulies, also when hunting during the rut(November 18th) when walking in or trying to scout ALWAYS have a grunt tube, blow that sucker consistently like a dog sniffing the ground, this is what the bucks do they walk and sniff the ground and grunt, grunt, grunt grunt grunt, pause, grunt grunt grunt grunt, pause, then you may not spook em. then find your sitting spot, put out some tinks and sit and wait with the odd grunt once and a while, sit for about 4hrs or all day. not saying this is the only way to hunt these crafty animals but it is 1 way. good luck to all that are giving it a shot.

Careful with the "tinks" and other scents. Now illegal in BC if derived from animals/cervids (ie urine etc). I think synthetic is still ok.

Ferenc
08-23-2018, 11:51 AM
Lots and lots of private property up that way and not all posted (due diligence is on the hunters not the property owners by law) so be careful.
Yes lots of private property up that way ... it was nice seeing them playing around in the fields and actually coming right up to where the fence line was .. and the posted no hunting sign ... little buggers .. Lol

bloody bellies
08-23-2018, 12:23 PM
Grunt works but I will take a doe bleat over a grunt call all day long. Rattling doe bleat combo hunting scrapes is deadly

as for the other advice given it is good but things vary a lot and have experienced contradictions to it all. It depends on the pockets you’re hunting

Thx for critiquing my advice, as stated its 1 way of hunting them, I didn't say 1 way is better than another, but seems you have it nailed down, ill be sure to let you give any advice to advice seekers before I respond, have a good day

Wild one
08-23-2018, 01:41 PM
Thx for critiquing my advice, as stated its 1 way of hunting them, I didn't say 1 way is better than another, but seems you have it nailed down, ill be sure to let you give any advice to advice seekers before I respond, have a good day

Was only adding to it with my own experience and stating things vary from each location

It was not in anyway trying to down play your advice. The fact of the matter is when it comes to hunting most have their own style and if it is achieving them results that’s all that matters

Don’t see why you were offered

actually after reading my op I can see how it could be taken wrong the way it was worded. Price of a rushed post well being called into see the dentist

lovemywinchester
08-24-2018, 12:50 PM
I've rattled in a WT six years in a row now. it is the most fun I think I have every year. I can't wait for Nov. Some come crashing through the brush grunting and ready to scrap and other just appear out of the mist like a ghost. How a 250 lb animal can materialize in front of you like that with no warning is mind blowing. Love hunting the WT.

604ksmith
08-24-2018, 01:41 PM
...How a 250 lb animal can materialize in front of you like that with no warning is mind blowing...

250lbs ? Damn, post some pics please!

lovemywinchester
08-24-2018, 03:09 PM
I didn't say I killed all the ones I rattled in, lol. Sometimes they book before you get a chance to shoot.

604ksmith
08-24-2018, 04:50 PM
I didn't say I killed all the ones I rattled in, lol. Sometimes they book before you get a chance to shoot.

Damn! Just like my 9ft black bear, that had a 60lb steelhead in it's mouth!

walks with deer
08-29-2018, 02:58 PM
250lbs live weight does not seem to far on the heavy side...

how much do you weigh

twoSevenO
08-29-2018, 04:01 PM
Damn! Just like my 9ft black bear, that had a 60lb steelhead in it's mouth!

lol, So what have all the bucks you've shot weighed ....

walks with deer
08-29-2018, 05:32 PM
dressed for me in kamloops biggest was 135is for whitetail...double down on 4 points other was 90