PDA

View Full Version : 7-23 moose camp help

25.06girl
08-19-2018, 01:36 PM
Hey guys
I have a bull moose draw in oct for 7-23a. 7-23 zone A is east of the parsnip river between Hwy 97 and the Anzac river roughly. The plan was to do some scouting in early sept and get an idea of the lay of the land but unfortunately life has gotten in the way like it usually does in some way and that plan has been thrown out the window. So I am not looking for anyone to give me the coordinates to a nice bull (not that I would reject it if you did :razz:) but what I am wondering is if anyone can point me in the direction of somewhere decent to set up camp. We have a truck and camper with a 14’ Flatdeck trailer for our deep freeze, quad and boat. Also have a friend meeting us there who has a truck and 23’ trailer. Second question, I have heard of people taking a boat to float up and down the parsnip river but my concern is it will be heavily trafficked and it seems to be there are quite a few roads near the river and I would rather hike and get away from the roads. So I am wondering if it is even worth it to haul my boat up there. Thanks in advance!

25-06girl

junkyard_g
08-19-2018, 02:46 PM
Most people just pick a gravel pit or old road junction there. Only Camp on water out the is Kennedy lake which has just enough room for what you’re describing but if anyone is already in there probably not enough room. No good boat launches on that side but t there is one spot you can get down to river with pickup (wouldnt take trailer down there though). Parsnip is wide but lots of hidden gravel bars. Bring extra prop if using outboard. Most people jet or canoe thatvstretch. Cheers

PressurePoint
08-19-2018, 02:46 PM
Never hurts, however, it’s been my experience there that most of the moose (bulls) are high up and don’t spend much time on the lower levels. Also temp dependant. If it’s really hot they don’t leave the alpine much.

my two cents, bring it if you can, if it’s a hassle don’t worry.

Downwindtracker2
08-19-2018, 04:23 PM
There is a nice borrow pit just before the causeway. River hunting is like road hunting except you have high banks. Consider it a way to get around, not hunting on it.

high and to the right
08-19-2018, 04:31 PM
The willows on the river bank are very high so unless the moose is swimming or on one of the few spots where they can walk, it's a pretty tough river hunt. I tried it twice over the last 10 years and both times was very frustrated by the high banks and tall shrubs. However we met a very successful hunter who had a 15' or higher platform on his boat where one person would sit and look down over the willows while the other person slowly drove the boat. Very good idea but not one that my 12' boat would be able to handle.
I took a few moose out of that area in the distant past but moved on to another area. Good luck on your hunt.

25.06girl
08-20-2018, 11:45 AM
Hey guys thanks for the advice! I’ll take a look at kennedy lake and maybe send my buddy up early to grab a camp spot there or further in on an old road. I’ll look into borrowing or picking up a canoe instead maybe. Don’t want to wreck my little 14’ aluminum when I would rather be hiking in the bush away from the majority of people instead. Thanks again and good luck to all this season!