PDA

View Full Version : Bear meat cooked in 4k

Iron-Head
08-18-2018, 08:01 PM
Coming from a guy with over a million subscribers on YouTube it's pretty cool to see him show casing bear meat in a positive light. Especially with numbers like that! 1000$ steak! We live rich lives, regardless of money.

For those that haven't seen Almazan kitchen, be warned it's addictive.

https://youtu.be/PbGlOV-ebzk

RyoTHC
08-18-2018, 08:11 PM
Very neat video and I love the idea of getting back to the basics , but am I missing what makes that a $1000 steak? Or is he just trying to say he can make restaurant quality food in the woods ? Which is impressive in its own right

gmachine19
08-18-2018, 09:34 PM
wow that's mouth watering!

decker9
08-18-2018, 09:34 PM
Damn that looks good!!

Beaver Skin
08-18-2018, 10:23 PM
Looks good...but a bit underdone. Too pink for me when it comes to bear!

Jordan f.
08-18-2018, 11:09 PM
Am I missing something here? Seems dangerous to show tons of people how to undercook bear meat.

okas
08-19-2018, 10:00 AM
well all depends how long in the freezer :D 12 weeks for me just because take it out thaw it spice it up a bit of beer back in the freezer for a bit then out thaw and cook
That's how to cook bear meat

RackStar
08-19-2018, 10:33 AM
Doesn’t look 160 to me. Looks good but I can’t get past the pink bear meat.

Pemby_mess
08-19-2018, 11:10 AM
I've always thought of 165 in the middle as being just slightly pink in the middle of the cut. Any more and it's over-cooked to my taste. That looked perfect to me. It continues cooking a bit while it rests too. He might of just cut into it a few minutes too soon.

i watched that while cooking a very similar dish with a pork tenderloin; got me wishing I had some bear instead.

Jordan f.
08-19-2018, 11:35 AM
I've always thought of 165 in the middle as being just slightly pink in the middle of the cut. Any more and it's over-cooked to my taste. That looked perfect to me. It continues cooking a bit while it rests too. He might of just cut into it a few minutes too soon.

i watched that while cooking a very similar dish with a pork tenderloin; got me wishing I had some bear instead.

If you go to their website. They don't mention any sort of temp requirement. Simply "Grill the bear cut until ready and for the doneness you want."

ElectricDyck
08-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Bear meat cooked rare does the Trich;)

Boner
08-19-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote of the year. A well phrased double entendre.

Lionhill
08-20-2018, 01:40 PM

To what Temp are you suggesting?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis#Food_preparation

Internal Temperature
Internal Temperature
Minimum Time

(°F (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit))
(°C (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celsius))
(minutes)

Instant

m5wilson
08-28-2018, 09:07 PM
I really enjoy bear meat from the two I have shot (last fall and this spring) but always cook it slow and thoroughly (160+). I've read time in freezer has no effect on trich? Anyone have any bear recipes to share?

ducktoller
08-28-2018, 10:31 PM
I really enjoy bear meat from the two I have shot (last fall and this spring) but always cook it slow and thoroughly (160+). I've read time in freezer has no effect on trich? Anyone have any bear recipes to share?

This isn't totally true. Trich in regions without significant freezing can often be killed in cold temps. Not sure what is in the bears in Serbia though.

tigrr
08-29-2018, 07:24 AM
Russian roulette with under cooked bear meat.

russm86
08-29-2018, 10:20 AM
well all depends how long in the freezer :D 12 weeks for me just because take it out thaw it spice it up a bit of beer back in the freezer for a bit then out thaw and cook
That's how to cook bear meat

Freezing doesn't kill all trich, some found in wild animals in the northern regions are immune to cold, eat at your own risk...

caddisguy
08-29-2018, 10:51 AM
This isn't totally true. Trich in regions without significant freezing can often be killed in cold temps. Not sure what is in the bears in Serbia though.

It depends on the strain of trichinella. Strains commonly found in bears (such as trichinella nativa / T. britovi) are mostly resistant to freezing. Studies on frozen fox and bears showed that almost a decade of being frozen, the cysts are still ready to hatch and party in your stomach before spreading to your muscles and possibly organs.

The freezing myth comes from strains that generally infect pork in the south... doesn't really apply to bears on any significant scale. If I recall 20% of bears in the LML carry trichinella nativa and that percentage increases as you head north, reaching around 80-90% in the Yukon and Alaska.

russm86
08-30-2018, 09:37 AM
It depends on the strain of trichinella. Strains commonly found in bears (such as trichinella nativa / T. britovi) are mostly resistant to freezing. Studies on frozen fox and bears showed that almost a decade of being frozen, the cysts are still ready to hatch and party in your stomach before spreading to your muscles and possibly organs.

The freezing myth comes from strains that generally infect pork in the south... doesn't really apply to bears on any significant scale. If I recall 20% of bears in the LML carry trichinella nativa and that percentage increases as you head north, reaching around 80-90% in the Yukon and Alaska.

I'm assuming that is meant to say that 80-90% of bears that have trich have the nativa strain, not that 80-90% of all bears have trich?

Xenomorph
08-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Looks good...but a bit underdone. Too pink for me when it comes to bear!

It's not about the pink, it's about the temperature transference from the grill to the steak. If your grill is able to deliver throughout the meat a constant temperature of MIN 60C for a minute or more it will kill anything in there.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/trichinae/docs/fact_sheet.htm

It's a matter of knowing your meat, grill and being comfortable doing what you're doing. When I cook bear I defrost it from the day before. I marinate it with my "family recipe" steaks are brought to room temperature hours before the actual "cooking" happens. Then it's easy to do what he does, quick minute in and out and you're done with a product that not only looks good, but tastes heavenly as well.

Lots of people eating my bear steaks couldn't believe it can be cooked to taste that good.

Pemby_mess
08-30-2018, 02:23 PM
It's not about the pink, it's about the temperature transference from the grill to the steak. If your grill is able to deliver throughout the meat a constant temperature of MIN 60C for a minute or more it will kill anything in there.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/trichinae/docs/fact_sheet.htm

It's a matter of knowing your meat, grill and being comfortable doing what you're doing. When I cook bear I defrost it from the day before. I marinate it with my "family recipe" steaks are brought to room temperature hours before the actual "cooking" happens. Then it's easy to do what he does, quick minute in and out and you're done with a product that not only looks good, but tastes heavenly as well.

Lots of people eating my bear steaks couldn't believe it can be cooked to taste that good.

good points!

the dull grey look of haphazardly cooked game meat is most unappetizing to me. A juicy pork chop is one of the toughest tests of culinary skill in my opinion. Slightly pink in the Centre of the cut with juices running clear. 160f has been suggested as overkill for trich. 145 supposedly kills it instantly, and the centre is usually still pretty pink at that temp.

caddisguy
08-30-2018, 06:15 PM
I'm assuming that is meant to say that 80-90% of bears that have trich have the nativa strain, not that 80-90% of all bears have trich?

It was actually 80-90% of bears up north (areas in Alaska, Yukon) carry it. I found a study a while back that gave percentages all over BC. The Fraser Valley was 20%. I am not certain how reliable the data is. If I recall the data for each area was based on 15-20 bears.

decker9
08-31-2018, 05:38 AM
Besides the bear meat, I can’t stop watching this channel!! The guy puts Ramsey’s cooking and plating to shame lol. Thanks again for sharing!!

Gateholio
08-31-2018, 11:37 PM
Bear seemed cooked enough to kill any trich, it doesn’t have to be show leather to be safe.

eating hedge apples is weird. What an odd thing to cook

unremarkable recipe but the camera work was good.