PDA

View Full Version : Quail, pheasant hunting okanagan

Steelpulse
08-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Hello team hbc. On the hunt for a bc interior upland slam will call it that at least.
Ruffed, spruce, blues, chukars are no problem.
I have a solid game plan for quail and a pheasant, I think I can find them on some crown land ive scouted out.
I know this is not a common bird to hunt here bc and most who know where they are, are tight lipped which is totally understandable. I probably won’t share my game plans either unless some info is traded with me haha. Anyways I plan on some quail limits come October so when that happens I’ll post up pics for sure.
Anyways if any one has private land that’s obviously great and I’d love to come hunt. Or if you have a tip my inbox is open. I’ve hunted the interior pretty hard and have info for trade on all species here so more than happy to chat about whatever and point you in the directions of moose goats deers bears and upland

hunting season so close now ladies and gents see you in the field

J-Man
09-06-2018, 12:26 PM
Slingshot around my parents house in Kelowna gets yea a limit on quail

Foxton Gundogs
09-09-2018, 05:03 PM
Lotsa quail on the Island, I shoot a few every year for my young dogs and could shoot lots more if I wanted that being said they are on the upswing here and I wouldn't want people starting to shoot "some limits" at this time, so suffice it to say there are quail on the island.

250 sav
09-09-2018, 05:29 PM
I've seen lots of pheasants in salmon arm, should be somewhere outside of town that holds pheasants

Jagermonster
09-23-2018, 08:33 AM
I have a young German Shorthaired Pointer and would love to take him out quail hunting as well. I was in Penticton last week and they were all over private property, I saw two on Crown land on the side of the gravel road close to town but unfortunately didn’t have the time to scout further. Would have liked to let the dog out and see if he could flush any. Steelpulse, post some pics when you get some. All the best, and if I end up going back for a proper scout/hunt I’ll PM you and let you know how I did and where I went. I grew up hunting these birds (far away from here) and they’re a lot of fun and great eating. Not many people care much for them in BC.

Safety Tip: make sure you have your bright orange vest on because quail tend to fly low and hunters are more likely to “tag” each other because of target fixation. [I’ve seen it happen].

Have fun

ACB
09-23-2018, 10:51 AM
I have a young German Shorthaired Pointer and would love to take him out quail hunting as well. I was in Penticton last week and they were all over private property, I saw two on Crown land on the side of the gravel road close to town but unfortunately didn’t have the time to scout further. Would have liked to let the dog out and see if he could flush any. Steelpulse, post some pics when you get some. All the best, and if I end up going back for a proper scout/hunt I’ll PM you and let you know how I did and where I went. I grew up hunting these birds (far away from here) and they’re a lot of fun and great eating. Not many people care much for them in BC.

Safety Tip: make sure you have your bright orange vest on because quail tend to fly low and hunters are more likely to “tag” each other because of target fixation. [I’ve seen it happen].

Have fun
You're right with a lot of upland birds you really have to be careful, orange hat and vest because you don't want to get Cheneyed, and don't forget orange collars on the dogs. My yellow lab disappears in the yellow/brown grass but you can still see the orange collar.

Jagermonster
09-23-2018, 08:16 PM
For sure, that’s something I have to get for my dog.

Danny_29
09-23-2018, 08:36 PM
Hello team hbc. On the hunt for a bc interior upland slam will call it that at least.
Ruffed, spruce, blues, chukars are no problem.
I have a solid game plan for quail and a pheasant, I think I can find them on some crown land ive scouted out.
I know this is not a common bird to hunt here bc and most who know where they are, are tight lipped which is totally understandable. I probably won’t share my game plans either unless some info is traded with me haha. Anyways I plan on some quail limits come October so when that happens I’ll post up pics for sure.
Anyways if any one has private land that’s obviously great and I’d love to come hunt. Or if you have a tip my inbox is open. I’ve hunted the interior pretty hard and have info for trade on all species here so more than happy to chat about whatever and point you in the directions of moose goats deers bears and upland

hunting season so close now ladies and gents see you in the field

Your inbox is full, I'd love to get out and work the dogs sometime.

slyfox
10-07-2018, 09:55 PM
Google maps helps lots of open area in the okanagan for upland birds.

wrenchhead
10-08-2018, 08:56 AM
My pup and I got is first one on opening day....hes a year and a half labradoodle.
Was going to be the wife's designer dog but he turned out to be an excellent hunting dog! Unreal nose and drive, flushed and retrieved that pheasant like a champ.
Anyways PM me steelpulse and I can show you some areas around vernon. I'm available in a couple weeks.

Steelpulse
10-12-2018, 01:36 AM
some good info here thanks. Just got into some chukars here. Got 4 birds on my first outing and the next morning went out with the guys and they took 2 and 1 each with me missing all my shots, was a great hunt. Will get some pics up soon

anyone else getting out yet?

Bubbacanuck
02-12-2019, 05:51 PM
some good info here thanks. Just got into some chukars here. Got 4 birds on my first outing and the next morning went out with the guys and they took 2 and 1 each with me missing all my shots, was a great hunt. Will get some pics up soon

anyone else getting out yet?

Any pics from the season? Interested on whether you got your birds

Firstblood
08-12-2019, 09:31 PM
https://i.imgur.com/s1SmW5x.jpg (a day in the alpine finished with a limit of blues)

The season is almost upon us and the birds are on my mind again. Last season the Chickens and ducks didnt stand a chance against my little lady. Already got plans do do more traditional duck hunting with a decoys spread but finding some other upland birds is on the books as the main effort. I get on the chukars a few times every year when steelpulse leaves the big city, grouse Im on a couple times a week when I walk the dog in the morning or evening but pheasants, huns and quail elude us, granted we havent put in much effort. I will be crusing the google earth machine looking for public land but Im all ears when it comes to areas around salmon arm, vernon and surrounding area. If anyone wants wants a fellow uplander to join them in the efforts of pushing bush my girl Gilly and I will be the first to volunteer.

walks with deer
08-12-2019, 09:54 PM
will have some quail hopefully have 15 breeding pairs not the same but should be fun

imack91
08-13-2019, 10:14 AM
I'm located in Kamloops, counting down the days until the dog and I can get back out chasing ruffies and blues. I have a young 2.5 year old springer/setter cross, she covers a lot of ground, loves birds! If anyone interested in getting out together or trying to find some pheasants around the interior I'd love to hear from you.

jlirot
08-13-2019, 11:29 AM
I'm located in Kamloops, counting down the days until the dog and I can get back out chasing ruffies and blues. I have a young 2.5 year old springer/setter cross, she covers a lot of ground, loves birds! If anyone interested in getting out together or trying to find some pheasants around the interior I'd love to hear from you.

I've got a crazy schedule with work and kids - but would love to get out and chase some pheasants. My WHP is 5 years old. She's not perfect but a lot of fun to hunt with. We went out for grouse and chukkars last year.

imack91
08-13-2019, 08:11 PM
I’ve no idea where to go for pheasants but maybe if we put our heads together we can figure it out! I’ll send you a PM.

imack91
09-11-2019, 10:32 AM
Thought I'd pick this thread up again - anyone know approx. where one would find Pheasants on public land in Region 3? I'm based out of Kamloops but would take a drive to try to find some of these birds. Not looking for anyone's secret spot but would love to be pointed in the right direction or have a chance to get out with someone that knows where they are going! PM's open if you prefer. Thanks!

sealskinner
09-23-2019, 11:12 AM
Hey guys, hope everyone is getting there dog out a bit, mine is coming along nicely, no thanks to my shooting or handling skills, I’m happy for natural ability. If anyone wants to get out for grouse or quail or chukar and pheasant when they open up let me know. Would love to work her with other dogs as well. I’m in Revelstoke but happy to drive around to where ever for some hunts

bubba350
09-23-2019, 01:39 PM
Thought I'd pick this thread up again - anyone know approx. where one would find Pheasants on public land in Region 3? I'm based out of Kamloops but would take a drive to try to find some of these birds. Not looking for anyone's secret spot but would love to be pointed in the right direction or have a chance to get out with someone that knows where they are going! PM's open if you prefer. Thanks!

i have a young Pudelpointer and just gearing up to get her going on her first trip. I have a cabin near Kamloops and if your looking for someone to get together and work some dogs i’d be interested.

cheers

Bubba

Uglydog
09-28-2019, 08:32 PM
I was just at a navhda trial with a PP out of cedarwoods he was a fantastic dog,

bubba350
09-28-2019, 08:54 PM
I was just at a navhda trial with a PP out of cedarwoods he was a fantastic dog,

Nice we just did our NAVHDA natural ability in august. She got a 112 prize 1

Isaiah
09-29-2019, 09:40 PM
Nice we just did our NAVHDA natural ability in august. She got a 112 prize 1

Nice work on the prize 1. Did you run yours down in Washington? I have a 1 yr old PP here in Abbotsford that I ran at the NAVDA chapter in Alberta in August also earning a 112 prize 1. Would you be interested in meeting up around Kamloops some time? I've been trying to sort out where to get into some upland birds. I don't mind driving as there isn't much in the valley here.

bubba350
09-30-2019, 06:00 AM
Nice work on the prize 1. Did you run yours down in Washington? I have a 1 yr old PP here in Abbotsford that I ran at the NAVDA chapter in Alberta in August also earning a 112 prize 1. Would you be interested in meeting up around Kamloops some time? I've been trying to sort out where to get into some upland birds. I don't mind driving as there isn't much in the valley here.

nice work. Ya im a member in washington. they are a great chapter very helpful and have great training days. We mostly will be hunting waterfowl with her but would like to get out on some upland too. Pm me and we can see if we can arrange something

local.604
09-02-2021, 07:58 PM
This thread's a few years old now but if any of you guys still get the dogs out after some birds, Id love to link up for a bird hunt this season! Got a gsp last october but he was just a pup so couldnt take him out so this will be his first season. I usually hammer the grouse out in region 5 but my whole usual area burned down and closed off. Going to venture into new areas this year and maybe try to get after the quail too. PM me if anyone wants to try and link up!