PDA

View Full Version : what elevation will i be findin the blackies this time of year?

Wildfoot
09-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Went out last night and drove R200 FSR between OK Falls and Rock Creek. Didnt see any bears, not even signs of bears in the area! All the plantlife is very very very dry! all the berry patches I found were withered and yellow. I figure its too high up.. ? or too low for the bears, obviously they are not going to be where there is little/water food this time of year.

Will I have better luck hiking low in the valley around Oliver, or should I go up to the tops of the mountains and walk the ridge from Kobau north to oliver?

I tried contacting the CO's to find out if they knew anyone with bear problems on private land.. the CO number in penticton was all pre-recorded. I sent off some emails, but never heard any replies. So since I dont have a bow, and cant wack a deer, I figured I would go look for my blackie since I didnt do so well this spring.

Jagermeister
09-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Find someone that is growing peaches on the east side of Skaha just north of the Falls, and hunt the peripheral area of the orchard bench. Be mindful of firearm restrictions in that area.

DBM
09-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Saw 2 yesterday in 8-05, yet absolutely no sign. I guess bears really do crap in the woods. We found both fairly low in elevation (considering the terrain), one was in the timber and the other was on an old skid rd. we were hiking in on. I think the first sign of a vehicle and they're off and running.

Gnarly
09-03-2007, 03:08 PM
I shot an eating bear in 8-14 on Saturday and my son saw one he guessed would go 6 feet , both down low. Not too much in the way of berries around this year and he didnt have much fat on him.

srupp
09-03-2007, 04:13 PM
seen lots of bears lately..all near berries where they are every year this time...

Steven

ratherbefishin
09-03-2007, 05:22 PM
wild berries, orchards or salmon = bears .

Steeleco
09-03-2007, 05:43 PM
We covered lots of area in truck and on foot this past W/E and saw very few sign of bear, everything from 4500' all the way past 6000' and still nothing. I wonder if the incoming weather made ALL the critters hold up in the timber??

The area of 8-05 that we were in was green everywhere, lots of food and lots of ground water, they should be fat should I find one.

Next weekend No1 son and I will have to try again for our respective quarry!!

ruger#1
09-03-2007, 05:53 PM
havent seen to many bears in my area either. lots of blackberries to.

browningboy
09-03-2007, 09:19 PM
If your anywhere coastal, just hit a salmon spawning stream that has berry bushes along the side, I'm sure you'll stumble across one.

mntman
09-03-2007, 09:24 PM
look for the berry patches they will be feasting on them at this time

wsm
09-03-2007, 10:04 PM
we saw 11 in or neer the alpine this weekend

Gateholio
09-03-2007, 11:56 PM
My thinkgin in the fall is "Big Bears are where you find them!"

Lots of other stuff to hunt, bears are on spawning streams and berry patches, but I'd hunt fo other animals, and take a bear if you see him:smile:

Barracuda
09-04-2007, 07:56 AM
bears will be where the most abundent food supply is regardless of the alltitude , They do tend to be a bit more elusive in the fall and tend to be more nocturnal then springtime.