PDA

View Full Version : Fires

sthdslayer
08-16-2018, 06:12 AM
Any rumours of back country access ban again this fall

Weatherby Fan
08-16-2018, 06:52 AM
Any rumours of back country access ban again this fall

I can only imagine that yeh your going to have huge closures everywhere, seems like the whole Province is on fire right now.

firebird
08-16-2018, 07:34 AM
Im also thinking so. Fingers crossed on elk hunting with my cousins in 4-2. But my hopes are diminishing everyday. I don't want to complain about my hunting plans cause it seems petty when the fires are effecting other people in huge ways.

rocksteady
08-16-2018, 08:17 AM
No discussion regarding it in the Region 4t

butcher
08-16-2018, 08:21 AM
Wasn’t last year either until they booted everyone out on September first.

Rackmastr
08-16-2018, 09:16 AM
No discussion regarding it in the Region 4t

Is that surprising to you Mike?

I keep thinking about my plans for Sept and not really holding my breath too much due to conditions

rocksteady
08-16-2018, 09:21 AM
Not a surprise. The only closures right now are due to active fires.. our recent starts have all been lightning.. man caused have not been occurring so no real reason to shut it down but its not my decision.

Rackmastr
08-16-2018, 10:08 AM
Not a surprise. The only closures right now are due to active fires.. our recent starts have all been lightning.. man caused have not been occurring so no real reason to shut it down but its not my decision.

Ya good to hear your insight on it Mike. Thanks! Stay safe out there.

firebird
08-16-2018, 10:46 AM
Even if there's no ban the smokes going to make it pointless, right now.

triggerhappy
08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Not sure about other places in the province, but the Kamloops area has cleared up a bit. Could definitely hunt around here no problem.

Bugle M In
08-18-2018, 12:47 PM
I already decided to postpone my hunt till October due to the fires.
I have a feeling come September, they will have closures like last year.
No loss for me anyways if it stays open, and I end up there a week later then normal anyways.

Walksalot
08-19-2018, 07:14 AM
Mother Nature is tired of watching us piss around trying to fix the beetle problem and is fixing the beetle problem Herself.

Brez
08-19-2018, 07:26 AM
The smoke will help the bow-hunters - we can sneak right up on them and we can use campfire smell for cover scent. Not so good for guys with rifles wanting to shoot 100 yds or more. Actually, my neighbor's house behind me (40 yds) is getting hard to see. As much as I will be dissapointed, I cannot dissagree with a closure. More people out there increases the risf for more fires.

Astepanuk
08-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Any update from the Tatogga area??

Cyrus
08-19-2018, 09:17 AM
Guessing most of the fraser burns lake and fort st james areas will be closed

Avalanche123
08-19-2018, 07:32 PM
Any update from the Tatogga area??

What specifically do you want to know? It's smokey there but so far it's business as usual for everything...

hunter1947
08-20-2018, 05:53 AM
I will tough it out using my truck as my spike camp for the bow season till the rains come makes for a quick exit..

Wild one
08-20-2018, 08:14 AM
Guessing most of the fraser burns lake and fort st james areas will be closed

It is right now and the way the fires are growing the closed areas keep getting bigger

roymil
08-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Most of southeast fire district the fire rating is high, not extreme. No need to close bush here most of the weather stations out there are reading 4 now so i imagine the loggers will be cutting again. Smoke makes a lot of people gun shy haha

Bugle M In
08-20-2018, 10:51 AM
All I recall is, that last year, people preparing to hunt early Sept in the EK, had to pull out there gear because they
had a full back country ban which was not lifted till late Sept.
I have a bad feeling those same authorities will do it again.
Plus, it all depends how long some of these fires keep burning.
Big question is "when will the rains come"???...continuous rain!
Also, last year, the white river fire happened, and now there is a "full vehicle ban" for "hunters".

So yes, great to have mother nature correct the bullshit that has been going on for 30 years,
AND, she is not even close to being done yet....more fires to come, for many years ahead...IMO.

But, it looks like the end result for us resident hunters is...…….
you can only "walk in", as more vehicle bans will be put into affect, if those same people who made those rules
last year, still think "sightlines give hunters a big advantage"!!???

J_T
08-20-2018, 11:06 AM
All I recall is, that last year, people preparing to hunt early Sept in the EK, had to pull out there gear because they
had a full back country ban which was not lifted till late Sept.
I have a bad feeling those same authorities will do it again.
Plus, it all depends how long some of these fires keep burning.
Big question is "when will the rains come"???...continuous rain!
Also, last year, the white river fire happened, and now there is a "full vehicle ban" for "hunters".

So yes, great to have mother nature correct the bullshit that has been going on for 30 years,
AND, she is not even close to being done yet....more fires to come, for many years ahead...IMO.

But, it looks like the end result for us resident hunters is...…….
you can only "walk in", as more vehicle bans will be put into affect, if those same people who made those rules
last year, still think "sightlines give hunters a big advantage"!!???
I'm optimistic we've avoided a full bush closure in the EK. Cool evenings, cloud cover today, cooling trend in the forecast. Human caused fires are way down. Can't change the effect of lightning on short notice. Authorities are using area specific closures to support fire suppression activities and keep people off of roads that have a lot of traffic for fire suppression.

j270wsm
08-20-2018, 11:28 AM
All I recall is, that last year, people preparing to hunt early Sept in the EK, had to pull out there gear because they had a full back country ban which was not lifted till late Sept.

Wasn't the back country ban was lifted mid sept last yr? Sept 13 or 14 if IIRC......?? Due to school and the kids hockey season starting on the Saturday we couldn't get out on the opening day. But my son managed to get his elk on the 16th after we finished hockey.

Bugle M In
08-20-2018, 04:50 PM
I'm optimistic we've avoided a full bush closure in the EK. Cool evenings, cloud cover today, cooling trend in the forecast. Human caused fires are way down. Can't change the effect of lightning on short notice. Authorities are using area specific closures to support fire suppression activities and keep people off of roads that have a lot of traffic for fire suppression.

I totally understand road closure so they can work on fire suppression...for sure!
I can't recall if the White River fire was human related or natural???
But I am pretty sure they now completely closed off that area to any sort of vehicle hunting.
(they may have had an km mark where there was an existing vehicle restriction...but I think they expanded it last year
to the entire "burn site"....if I understand it correctly?)

So, in that case, the restriction is "now" more then just for fire suppression.
Same with no go for quads etc in 3-29, 3-30.
Again, nothing to due with fire suppression, but, rather about now having "supposedly" too much sightlines
for hunters, thus, in there opinion, too much hunter success potentially!!???

Keeping quads from going "off the roads" due to easier access due to fire, is something I can totally understand.
They should have just made it mandatory to stay on "original raids"
Just my thoughts about "what may come our way"...yet again.

Bugle M In
08-20-2018, 04:52 PM
Wasn't the back country ban was lifted mid sept last yr? Sept 13 or 14 if IIRC......?? Due to school and the kids hockey season starting on the Saturday we couldn't get out on the opening day. But my son managed to get his elk on the 16th after we finished hockey.

You could be right.
I just remember we "altered plans" due to it, by going later, but it did lift earlier then expected.
(I thought there was talk about Oct.1 being the "set date" at the time)

rocksteady
08-20-2018, 04:58 PM
Sep 15 @ 13:00 hours.. killed my bull at 18:00 hrs

Bchunt
08-20-2018, 05:55 PM
Remember, this is an anti hunting government. They will use any excuse to shut down hunters and hunting access. Prepare to have to stay out of the bush, even if it does not make sense. Prepare for every spot with a fire to have multi year access bans

250 sav
08-20-2018, 06:18 PM
Remember, this is an anti hunting government. They will use any excuse to shut down hunters and hunting access. Prepare to have to stay out of the bush, even if it does not make sense. Prepare for every spot with a fire to have multi year access bans

Unfortunately I believe you are correct

Astepanuk
08-21-2018, 07:05 AM
What specifically do you want to know? It's smokey there but so far it's business as usual for everything...

Planning on flying into a lake from tatogga sept 14th with alpine lake just wondering what the conditions are like if they have been flying hunters in basically if we’re going to be hunting.

Avalanche123
08-21-2018, 07:22 AM
Planning on flying into a lake from tatogga sept 14th with alpine lake just wondering what the conditions are like if they have been flying hunters in basically if we’re going to be hunting.

Lots of air traffic from Iskut to the fires north of there. I haven't heard about any potential closures yet. It is certainly smokey right now but conditions change daily depending on where you are going. I think you will be ok....

Astepanuk
08-21-2018, 08:49 AM
Thanks hope you guys get the rain in forecast this week.

Avalanche123
08-21-2018, 12:22 PM
Damn....I might be wrong...

http://tahltan.org/tahltan-central-government-requests-immediate-hunting-ban-throughout-tahltan-territory/

finngun
08-21-2018, 12:48 PM
Is that total hunting ban,,,,,,or again only for whities? And i dont mean whitetales..ehh:-D

Avalanche123
08-21-2018, 01:02 PM
Is that total hunting ban,,,,,,or again only for whities? And i dont mean whitetales..ehh:-D

It is a request for a complete hunting ban for everyone until there is no longer a state of emergency. It would affect those of us regulated by Provincial regulations.

Bugle M In
08-22-2018, 10:41 AM
Damn....I might be wrong...

http://tahltan.org/tahltan-central-government-requests-immediate-hunting-ban-throughout-tahltan-territory/

love the small line in there where they say "many of them will also refrain from hunting"!!!
Funny isn't it....
first of, it does not force them to say "they ALL will refrain from hunting".
secondly, they are asking resident hunters to stop hunting, not everyone, including them.
so f'n typical of those types!
I am getting to the point where I would rather see them as "different" and address as such, then to have all of us
as the "same".
As everyday goes on, they show mw more and more how "they want to stay different".

Shikari300WSM
08-22-2018, 09:21 PM
How do you guys figure hunting is overall when theres smokey conditions? Animals hunkered in the timber and not out feeding in the open much or?

Pemby_mess
09-06-2018, 09:15 AM
Interesting talk.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Vayv9FCLM

rocksteady
09-06-2018, 10:03 AM
I have met Dr. Hessburg in person and sat through his talks..

He is 100% accurate as to what is going on

rocksteady
09-06-2018, 10:05 AM
He is an avid outdoorsman, especially fishing. Spends a lot of time in the Interior and NW part of BC every year with his fly rod

britman101
09-06-2018, 11:15 AM
Certainly some good points are made about wildfires. But from what I see to date, it is all about maximizing dollars for the logging companies. Plant dense forests with pine trees and chemically thin out the deciduous trees. Until big companies think about respecting the land and growing healthy forests, instead of the money, get used to summers filled with smoke.

Arctic Lake
09-06-2018, 03:23 PM

I would like to see this .Could someone make this available as all I get is a black screen !
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Bugle M In
09-06-2018, 03:48 PM

ok...why cant I seem to get the vid's to work???
I just have a "black screen"....
getting confused on this issue.
(I would like to seen the post/video!)

Wild one
09-06-2018, 04:26 PM

Very intresting for sure with a lot of logic behind what he is saying

Pemby_mess
09-06-2018, 07:25 PM
I would like to see this .Could someone make this available as all I get is a black screen !
Thanks
Arctic Lake

ok...why cant I seem to get the vid's to work???
I just have a "black screen"....
getting confused on this issue.
(I would like to seen the post/video!)

could be the browser you guys are using. Ive been having problems with Chrome lately, seemingly limited to just certain code on certain sites.

here's the youtube link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=O6Vayv9FCLM&ebc=ANyPxKqaCMzW_e1Qcgts-lYCFo-nlusCVLgSaFSW45AdEGjF2IAEdhP2dtA4gDCn---R5ZhP0gMMqaFpH8X08jlWOrse4Z7Ptw

And should be searchable on the TED site as well.

Bugle M In
09-06-2018, 07:32 PM
could be the browser you guys are using. Ive been having problems with Chrome lately, seemingly limited to just certain code on certain sites.

here's the youtube link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=O6Vayv9FCLM&ebc=ANyPxKqaCMzW_e1Qcgts-lYCFo-nlusCVLgSaFSW45AdEGjF2IAEdhP2dtA4gDCn---R5ZhP0gMMqaFpH8X08jlWOrse4Z7Ptw

Thanks, I will take a look...

Pemby_mess
09-06-2018, 07:32 PM
Very intresting for sure with a lot of logic behind what he is saying

what i found most striking; is that the older terrain photos with forest cover naturally broken and opened up by fire, is definitely the better looking mulie habitat. If I were a hunter, i know which hill i'd head for. :lol:

We need guys like this yelling at the foresters out there. Stand density is pretty meaningless when it all goes up in flames anyways. After the last couple years, there is no hyperbole in that statement.

silvertipp
09-06-2018, 07:49 PM
If I were a hunter,

Interesting

Pemby_mess
09-06-2018, 08:06 PM
If I were a hunter,

Interesting

Could be tongue and cheek ;-) - i'll let you decide though

Arctic Lake
09-07-2018, 09:53 AM

here's the youtube link:

Thank You !
Arctic Lake