PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion of the Ford 7.3 diesel???

HarryToolips
08-14-2018, 09:14 PM
I have a friend of a friend who may sell me his 99' F350 with the 7.3 deisel, also a 5 speed... haven't looked at it yet, but it has 400,000 + Kms on it, but the turbo was redone and new brakes and rotors....is it true that these trucks will go to a million clicks like the Dodge Cummins? Heavy motor so do the front end generally wear out quicker?? Am I looking at high maintenance costs at that mileage?? He's asking $4500.....

dmaxtech
08-14-2018, 10:14 PM
Probably the most reliable Ford you’re going to find. But it’s still a Ford.

TimberPig
08-14-2018, 10:19 PM
They are solid trucks, but given the age and mileage, the condition of an individual truck could vary widely. I would be prepared to give it a once over and correct a few issues, as at that age and mileage, there is likely to be a few things needing attention to keep it in good shape.

If in good mechanical and physical shape, $4500 is a good price, and well worth buying if you need a diesel pickup.

Bchunt
08-14-2018, 10:30 PM
It's a Ford. Expect problems

mpotzold
08-14-2018, 10:50 PM
Excellent mileage & plenty of power. I would highly recommend it!
Never had a problem with the engine.
But check the serpentine belt regularly. The year before I got the 2003 6.0 Ford F350 the belt partially broke & severed the tranny cooling connector destroying the tranny after a short drive & also somehow damaging the starter.

My 7.3 diesel see POST # 373
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?54829-Show-Us-Pics-of-Your-Hunting-Camp-Setup&highlight=germansen+hunting

Jagermeister
08-14-2018, 11:33 PM
I own a ‘99 f350. Bought it new. Turned 265k km the other day. It’s been on synthetic oil since the warranty elapsed. Biggest problem was when the power steering pump failed. That affects a lot of things. I recently rebuilt the front end and I have a few little things to attend to. Mine is an auto and a trailer haulen special. There hasn’t been a dodge or gm that I can’t tow backwards yet although it hasn’t been tested as none have accepted the challenge yet.
With the mileage you report there may be a few issues pending. Check to make sure all the connections on the fuel water separator are connected. If there are any disconnected you wantto know why. And while you’re at it get a pan under the drain and drain some fuel off. Preferably into a container so you can inspect the fuel.

Bustercluck
08-14-2018, 11:55 PM
I don't know about a million kms, but they're definitely a good truck and engine. It's almost 20 years old and high mileage in my books. Definitely the best diesel ford has ever had.

ACE
08-14-2018, 11:58 PM
There hasn’t been a Dodge or GM that I can’t tow backwards yet although it hasn’t been tested as none have accepted the challenge yet.

:mrgreen::-D Interesting statement . . . . . :cool::D

S.W.A.T.
08-15-2018, 02:35 AM
If you dont buy it can you please pass along the info

bigredchev
08-15-2018, 06:08 AM
I've had 4. My current is an 02 f350 6 speed and I love it. 465kms and still

If you have any question about them PM Me.

dakoda62
08-15-2018, 06:24 AM
Best engine ever built in my opinion. I own a 2000 F-250 Lariat, only 179,000 km's on it should be the last truck i ever own

HarryToolips
08-15-2018, 06:30 AM
Awesome thanks for the input folks.....

jac
08-15-2018, 06:53 AM
Best ever!!! In some years the Glo plug wires in valve cover gasket can be a problem for some but a really great engine

Jelvis
08-15-2018, 07:46 AM
My opinion ? Ahhhh can't afford one Hahahahahahahahahaha coodn't afford the wheel nut Hahahahahahahahahaha
Jeldo the Weldo Rocka Feldo -- I need Go Fund Me bad like Hahahahahahaha

Wild one
08-15-2018, 08:07 AM
Probably the most reliable Ford you’re going to find. But it’s still a Ford.

Have to agree with this statement. All trucks have their issues google will show you most complaints people have.

Biggest issue with owning a Ford is the pink panties they come with can’t be comfortable lol

j270wsm
08-15-2018, 09:00 AM
A good friend of mine is a die hard powerstrokes guy. He buys and sell them weekly. His current truck is a 13 superduty fully loaded ( one step below kingranch ) with 570k on it. He's a hd mechanic and swears that powerstrokes can run forever if you put a little work into them.

Squamch
08-15-2018, 10:45 AM
Good motors. Mine has almost 400,000 on it. It's an 01 f350 with a 6 speed and a manual tcase shifter. Bought it at 308xxx. I did a clutch, and had to so the pilot shaft sleeve because the bearing was gone and had chewed the pilot shaft up some.
I just did glowplugs and the under valve cover harness. Easy job, 4 very casual hours work including repairing the harness where the wire housing was crumbling. I've also done the front end, unit bearings, ball joints, and inner oil seals. Also did a waterpump. All wear items that can be expected during the life of a vehicle.
It does eat tires pretty quickly, but it's a full size, I load it with tools and materials, and drive a lot.
Early 99 trucks can have older rear ends occasionally, using up old stock I guess? The early SRW f350s have a Dana50 front end, not a 60, you can check the axle tag, it's a bit blurry when the switch to a 60 happened.
The headlights suck, but they're easy to upgrade to later model ones.
I am very, very hard on vehicles, and this truck has taken everything I've thrown at it. A friend who uses and abuses his trucks similarly has destroyed a Chevy front end full of expensive Icon parts...he swapped in a superduty front end. No further issues. He likes his duramax though.

HarryToolips
08-15-2018, 03:00 PM
All very good info thanks guys.

browningboy
08-15-2018, 03:56 PM
Good motor but old technology, there are far better motors out there now, hell even mine is a one ton 2016 with 37"tires and 6" Lift and I get 14.4km's / 100kms on the highway, not going to say what brand as not trying to switch the main topic...

But in the end, for that money it's a good deal as long as it's healthy for real!

bigredchev
08-15-2018, 05:30 PM
more than likely needs up pipes, go bellowed.
a wicked wheel makes a huge difference, especially towing
The fuel bowl heater is a known issue but very simple fix.
5w-40 synthetic will make a world of difference in cold starts ( injectors are oil actuated)
the auto 4wd most likely doesn't engage the hubs automatically, but the manuals will. The transfer case will shift fine. just like old school
headlights buckets suck, go to a 05-07 front end and good lights and never look back - 300 to 400 in parts and huge pay off. or be cheap and put just the 05-07 buckets in but that looks cheap im my opinion
if the interior is rough, new upgraded lariat interiors can be put in in under 2 hours for about 500 bucks: seats, console door panels etc.
they ride like a truck, leaf springs all around. its not coils, so they dont turn worth a darn. get used to it

any questions feel free to PM, they are solid reliable trucks that will last a long time if you are nice to them. Ive had mine all over BC, Yukon and the island and love it.

bigredchev
08-15-2018, 05:33 PM
oh and the 6 speed ( Low plus 5 ) are great, low is useless unless on a good hill or towing but nice to have.
if the clutch makes noise, dont stress too much as they are rattley to begin with.
the slave/master assemblies come pre-bled and fail once a year if you have an upgraded clutch

firebird
08-15-2018, 06:03 PM
What's that joke- "if I wanted a power stroke Id call your mom" lol

My wife's grandfather has 7.3L and 300,000km. He is a mechanic. The truck does a lot of sitting but when it moves it's pulling a car trailer or fifth wheel motor home. I don't think he's had any problems, he's the type that would tell everyone if he did

Seth
08-15-2018, 09:31 PM
Personally I’d take a Cummins but if had to be a blue oval oil burner, the 7.3 would be the one.

randymac
08-16-2018, 06:01 AM
check the oil pan. They are known to rust and leak and then you have to pull the motor to replace it

bigredchev
08-16-2018, 07:44 AM
Lot of guys do it by lifting the engine in the truck, a few videos on YouTube.

If you do buy it, replace the upper rad hose to the dual alternator style aka ambulance package

elch jager
08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
keep a spare cam position sensor in the glove box. if it hasn't been replaced already, you will need to... 10 minute roadside fix...

fuelbowl leak can be easily diy'ed with available gasket kits...

only frustrating issue I had was with the glow plugs - eventually the coil(s)? need to be replaced...? it's been a few years since I sold it, so can't recall the fix, but it was really hard to start in cold weather and would take 20 minutes to get up to operating temp - lots of unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Massive turning radius as mentioned above and a real challenge to find parking if you need to go into the big city.

Other than that - trouble free for almost 500K. Only sold it because I no longer needed a tow vehicle that size and downsized to a 150.

mmckimmi
08-16-2018, 04:53 PM
Excellent trucks / motor if you look after them. They're also fairly easy to do minor repairs your self; lots of mechanical stuff that doesn't require a 5 digit scanner etc....
My dad's last truck was a 96 F350 7.3 5sp. The dam thing had near 700,000km on it and was going strong. The truck saw a lot of abuse, we tow a 30ft goose neck loaded with timbers, glue lams, SIP's etc daily. The truck was a tank. He misses it.

250 sav
08-16-2018, 05:01 PM
My 2000 f 350 7.3 6 speed manual. Bought it new and was my primary work truck in bush for 5 years. Drove it hard, hauled, towed etc. Gave it to my dad as a firewood truck with 510 000+ km on it. Not a straight body panel on it but still runs great

bcshadow
08-16-2018, 08:34 PM
I had a 94 7.3 years ago, cost me nothing but money.

Jagermeister
08-17-2018, 10:11 PM
https://dieseliq.com/9-common-problems-with-73-power-stroke-diesel-engines

skidderman
08-18-2018, 07:18 AM
My son has one and it's a money pit. Always something.