PDA

View Full Version : Doves.. .Anybody tried them?

Wildfoot
09-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Just noticed I can hunt doves around my place. As I type this I can see 10 outside my window....

Anyone ever hunt doves? How do they taste? How do you clean them? And how much meat is on one? Would i need 4-5 to feed 2 people?

Sasquatch
09-02-2007, 11:34 AM
I've never hunted them, but they are very popular in the southern states and I understand they are quite tasty.

Wildfoot
09-02-2007, 11:45 AM
well im going to get out the ol bb gun and pop off a few and try them out.

Nalidixic
09-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Hey. Never tried em but let us know how they turn out. Must be better then the crows my wife keeps feeding me :P j/k j/k

Mike

Marc
09-02-2007, 01:11 PM
I don't think it's legal to use air rifles in BC to hunt. I'd double check the regs and if I'm not mistaken I think they also fall under migratory birds in which you need a federal migratory game permit.

well im going to get out the ol bb gun and pop off a few and try them out.

ruger#1
09-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Page #3 migatory game bird. Permit is $17.oo. migratory gamebirds , rimfire no, centerfire no. page #16

Marc
09-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Just found this link that includes them as migratory game birds.

http://www.governmentagents.gov.bc.ca/progdesc/game_bird.htm

Game Bird Licences

Service BC Centres are vendors who sell Migratory Game Bird licenses.
Migratory game birds include ducks, coots, snipe, snow and ross geese, other geese, brandt, band-tailed pigeons and mourning doves.

Wildfoot
09-02-2007, 01:28 PM
oops! yah didnt check yet to what the regs are. Hah should have thought that one out before sayin bb gun. Would have to use a shotty. Too bad they are migratory birds.. im not forkin out 17 bucks for them ;)

4pointer
09-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Doves are very tasty, much like quail. Not big enough for a mouthful but still very good.

Wildfoot
09-02-2007, 02:09 PM
im just going to wait for quail season to open :) lots of them around my house too! hopefully i can get my bow fixed by then. haha either one of my bows! both have broken bottom cams!

Marc
09-02-2007, 03:25 PM
oops! yah didnt check yet to what the regs are. Hah should have thought that one out before sayin bb gun. Would have to use a shotty. Too bad they are migratory birds.. im not forkin out 17 bucks for them ;)

It's not just the 17 bucks you have to worry about, I'm pretty sure you also have to use steel shot on them like all other migratory game birds.

Wildfoot
09-02-2007, 03:32 PM
steel shot.. oh my! haha what a hassle. Do they even make .410 steel shot? or would I have to reload my own?

Marc
09-02-2007, 03:40 PM
I don't think they make any components for a .410 for steel shot but I think you could find some bismuth or other non toxic substitute.
If all you were planning on hunting was doves then maybe yes it’s a bit of a hassle. But with that license it allows you to hunt ducks, geese, woodcock( not sure if there is any in BC) and snipe to name a few. This money also goes back into research and habitat enhancement so for the extra $17 I think it’s worth it but that’s my personal opinion.

BANG!
09-02-2007, 03:41 PM
forget about the rifles - use a landing net.... :razz:

Wildfoot
09-02-2007, 03:44 PM
I don't think they make any components for a .410 for steel shot but I think you could find some bismuth or other non toxic substitute.
If all you were planning on hunting was doves then maybe yes it’s a bit of a hassle. But with that license it allows you to hunt ducks, geese, woodcock( not sure if there is any in BC) and snipe to name a few. This money also goes back into research and habitat enhancement so for the extra $17 I think it’s worth it but that’s my personal opinion.

true! And I will be buying a lisence when goose season opens. Haha but since my run in with the law, my broken bow, and paying tuition - the 17 bucks plus buying expensive shells is too pricey haha.

ruger#1
09-02-2007, 04:09 PM
steal shot only applies to ducks and geese coots and snipe. It doesn't Apply to upland game birds Page #17 under lead shot ban.

Marc
09-02-2007, 04:33 PM
I stand corrected

"possession or use of shot other than non-toxic shot is
prohibited, except for pigeons or doves. See p. 17."

MRBucks
09-02-2007, 06:14 PM
They, like many birds, are a b with an itch to pluck. You could skin them out but that will only work best if your only after the breast meat. The best way I have ever eaten thier kind (bandtails), is chopped up into pieces, dusted with a flour/salt/pepper/spice mix, and deep fried. Finger lickin good!

Actually any pigeon, especially the younger birds (squab) is good eating when deep fried. As far as I know the laws around popping your "run of the mill" pigeons are pretty lax even a pellet gun would do. I think they are looked at by bird hunters, kind of like dogfish are to fishermen. You have to try dogfish, battered and deep fried, to believe they are good eating as well.