PDA

View Full Version : The 400 yard curse, solo stone sheep hunt

decker9
08-13-2018, 02:11 PM
The site doesn’t deserve this story. If you’re cool, look me up I’d be happy to share with you.

decker9
08-13-2018, 02:33 PM
Nothing to see here

08-13-2018, 02:42 PM
Awesome!! Thanks for taking us along!

Stroodle
08-13-2018, 02:44 PM
Lovin' it so far! Keep it up!

decker9
08-13-2018, 02:51 PM
Nada here either

Ourea
08-13-2018, 02:57 PM
HBC is coming back one awesome thread at a time!

decker9
08-13-2018, 03:15 PM
Hhhhgggffsssaa

Linksman313
08-13-2018, 03:24 PM
Great essay so far decker, so much for not being an English major --- I'm loving it keep it coming!

decker9
08-13-2018, 03:37 PM
wish I knew how to delete this thread

Fella
08-13-2018, 03:53 PM
Keep it coming! Fantastic read!

RackStar
08-13-2018, 03:55 PM
I will just keep hitting the refresh button.

These threads are getting me pumped for 11 days from now.

Epic journey so far. Great read. Thank you so much for posting!

Stoked for you decker!!

decker9
08-13-2018, 03:56 PM
Cheers Rack!

warnniklz
08-13-2018, 04:20 PM
This is why I like HBC better than Facebook for hunting... Looking at all the pictures kick ass, but the story is what gets me

decker9
08-13-2018, 04:25 PM
gjkdszvhu <<<

Ajsawden
08-13-2018, 04:45 PM
Normally I find these stories weeks after the fact and can read the whole thing at one time. Now I'm hooked and have to wait for more! Great writing, great pictures, loving every minute of it. Thankyou for taking the time to share.

elch jager
08-13-2018, 05:05 PM
Great stuff. Enjoying the economy of words... so easy to follow and pulls the reader along.

decker9
08-13-2018, 05:07 PM
gjhfdcbbydfg yep

decker9
08-13-2018, 05:29 PM
Ggjknbcdryjfak

decker9
08-13-2018, 05:53 PM
Reminiscing as I delete this. It’s posted on spike camp. Put ur money where your mouth is, join a conservation organization and get over there.

decker9
08-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Ggkkyfxxgh

decker9
08-13-2018, 06:30 PM
Ghjhfxvjjbhjj

decker9
08-13-2018, 06:45 PM
Ghjjdcjkhfgh

tayleoscar
08-13-2018, 06:53 PM
Awesome story man!!! Congrats on a great ram

Andrewh
08-13-2018, 06:53 PM
I am so happy I get to be the first to comment - absolutely sensational and I know exactly how you were feeling. Words can't describe the feeling of the work and the result.

decker9
08-13-2018, 07:04 PM
For falling asleep at midnight, and the day I had the day before, I thought I’d sleep later then 6 am. Today was hike out day. It took me 3 camps to get here, but I never did travel to far between camps. I was shooting to be out in a long day.

By 9 am bean dog and I were loaded up, heading out heavy. This was the heaviest pack my dog has handled. Not by a lot, but certainly heavier. When it comes to her pack, she’s like a good horse, she walks over, dips her head down, and often, will lift her own leg for the leg hole in the harness. But when I placed the bags on here, she give me one of her “wtf man” looks. She’s a champ.

https://i.imgur.com/8eQ8K0p.jpg

We had a long gradual up hill pull to get back up to where we originally spotted the rams from, stopping at the little puddle from earlier in the trip.but we made good time, when we hit that little saddle, it was all downhill from here. As soon as we hit the downhill, my legs took over my mind, and just went by themselves.

https://i.imgur.com/kvLXrwp.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vVzX6rc.jpg

I was pretty amazed to find our stashed food still all intact, I though for sure the wolverine would have found it. We stopped for a coffee break, loaded up the extras and were back on the trail. One thing I was not at all looking forward too, was the creek crossings. I didn’t count them going in, but I did coming out, 13 to be exact, in the last 1.5km of the trail. I probably ended up doing about a km in my cheap $10 can tire crocks, the last 5-6 crossings were a bit deep for loaded down bean, its not the first time iv hauled my tired dogs gear before, and certainly not the last. But soon enough, I had enough. On with the hanwags, nose down ass up on a mission march.

https://i.imgur.com/33PATQY.jpg

That old truck seat was a welcoming sight. I had the berkley fish scale in the truck, so gave our packs a look. Mine came in at 98 lbs, bean dog packed out 17lbs of sheep meat. 10.11km on the Gaia gps from my last camp that looked into ram basin to the truck, and made it just under 6 hours.

https://i.imgur.com/cHVEWb0.jpg

Thanks for checkin it out HBC, im still waiting on the inspector, I think my ram is 7 years old, possibly 8, but does make the full curl. Hes 35" on one side, 35.5" on the other for those curious. Im a happy hunter, and proud of this ram. And that meat!! I think its better then mountain goat even haha, delicious!!

Cheers, and good luck to anyone heading out there, never give up!

A few gear reviews.

#1 is more a shout out, to Bell 2!!

I wasn’t going to add this, but good service deserves to be spread. Heading up, it was hot!! Felt like in the 30’s. When I got to bell 2, I was starving. With all my gear in the truck, I hate leaving it out of sight, even with my big mean ferocious cuddle licking dog in it.
I left my truck running with the AC on, made a mad dash inside to order a hamburger, I told the fellow at the counter that I was kinda in a hurry as my dog was in the running truck with the AC on. Without a thought, he kindly said “oh heck bring her on in if she’s friendly!”, that man made my day, and bean dogs. Great food and great service at bell 2!!

The Sitka timberline pant!! I just purchased these from Omineca sports days before the hunt. I always have 2 pairs of pants on a back pack hunt, I lived in these timberlines, my other pants were just extra weight lol, and their tough!! I don’t know why I didn’t get them years ago.

My dogs pack, Iv been getting a lot of questions. It’s the palisades pack made by a company called ruffwear. This is her third sheep hunt with it, plus a goat hunt, plus countless miles around home. The pack has given no reason to look at anything else. The water bladders and pockets are perfect, keeps my dog cooler on hot days, and the removable bags, now that we’ve used them, are a must. The adjustability of the harness, it’s easy to get a perfect fit. If your looking for a dog pack, buy with confidence.

The bad!

Rab sil tarp 2.
It’s a good wind or sun block, it’s light and packs real small, but if it rains, you will get wet. This is my third season with this tarp, no idea why I keep packing it.

Black diamond FLZ. I bought 2 sets of these before last season, a set for me and a set for Dad. Last seasons sheep hunt, one of dads poles broke, it looked like the glue had come apart that held the plastic pieces inside the pole, making it useless and unable to lock together. This hunt, I had a pole do the exact same thing. I could sure tell I was missing my fourth leg on the hike out.

Useyourfeet
08-13-2018, 07:05 PM
Thank you for sharing. I’m not getting to go north this year and reading your story and AndrewH’s sure make me feel like I was on the trip.

swampthing
08-13-2018, 07:07 PM
Man!! I am rootin for ya! Crazy highs and lows yer goin through!!

decker9
08-13-2018, 07:15 PM
Gjkgdfhhjhhp

RE1960
08-13-2018, 07:18 PM
Thanks for taking the time to post your story absolutely awesome.

decker9
08-13-2018, 07:21 PM
gjjfdhjjfdbj

decker9
08-13-2018, 07:25 PM
fhkjccbjgdcb

nazarow
08-13-2018, 07:30 PM
Incredible story. And the pics are great too; especially like the one with you and the dog looking at the camera at the end. Congrats and thanks for sharing. As stated before these stories are bringing hbc back to what it should be.

goatdancer
08-13-2018, 07:32 PM
Great story and pics. Good looking ram. Congratulations.

Rayne
08-13-2018, 07:41 PM
Awesome write up. Congrats on a well earned harvest.

LBM
08-13-2018, 07:45 PM
Congrats to you both on your earned ram, great pics as well I know you wish you had your dad there but to me looks
like you had one of the best hunting partners you could have there with you.

Scotty76
08-13-2018, 07:56 PM
Awesome. Great story and Ram. You got a great doggy hunting partner.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-13-2018, 07:58 PM
NEVER apologize for your writing ability OR style!

Amazing story of the ups and down of solo sheep hunting!!

WELL DONE!!!

Huge congrats!

SSS

TARCHER
08-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Outstanding write up and pictures. One of the best I've seen, solo too, outstanding.

Avalanche123
08-13-2018, 08:13 PM
Excellent hunt and your dog is truly your best friend eh! Well done.

downsouth204
08-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Amazing pics, so good to some some posted on here again! Thanks!

elknut
08-13-2018, 08:19 PM
Great hunt....Great stamina..Great companion...Great result....It doesn't get any better..Thanks for sharing...For all those first time sheep hunters there is lots to be learned from this story..It's about setting out on a journey and trying your best then one day hopefully success..Thanks Decker 9......Dennis

landphil
08-13-2018, 08:19 PM
Epic is a word that is far too often overused, but it fits here nicely! Your story, photos... Truly EPIC! I very much enjoyed reading that, and thank you for sharing! Congrats to you as well on your accomplishment, mental as much as physical, I dare say.

BStrachan
08-13-2018, 08:21 PM
I hade a vague memory of creek crossings from the last time I had come here, but before, I had one of those seats on 4 wheels, sure helped with this issue. For what seemed like miles, go go go stop, crocks, go go go stop, crocks, soon I just said screw it, and hiked with my fine fitting (NOT) $10 can tire crocks through the last few hundred yards. Finally, we found a spot that looked like a good way to get above treeline, we were pushing pretty late by now, there was water near by so, this is where we will stay. Everything I was wearing was soaked, but not from rain, without the creek crossings, it woulda been one hot ugly day.

I packed up 2-3 days of each of our food, a can of jet boil fuel and half my salt, found a sturdy spruce tree and tied it up high, incase we didn’t see anything where we were going, we could head up a different direction after we came back.

I find a fire is the best remedy for loneliness and solitude. Being the first night, of what could turn into 8-9+ days, had me anxious. A lot goes through a persons mind, and mine was wondering. Bean dog and I sat with a little stick fire, drank a hot rum and rolled a drum (a smoking sheep hunters comfort cig, goes hand in hand with a hot overproof rum in a orange tea and sugar). I looked over some very blurry Gaia gps maps, as I had downloaded nothing for this area. My inreach app had a topi map I finally realized, which helped a bit later on.

https://i.imgur.com/k0Wh7CV.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AKnjh89.jpg

In years past, Iv been kind enough to let bean sleep in the tent with me. Being solo this time, I opted to leave her under the vestibule, incase of bear trouble. She wasn’t a happy camper our first night.

August 31st morning

https://i.imgur.com/5Hc5gJl.jpg

Camp was quickly packed and we were headed uphill. The going was a lot easier then I anticipated. Bean dog is an amazing packer. She knows where her bags are, where she can go, where she can’t. We’v been in situations before where Iv had to through her bags overtop of mine, because the buck brush or shintangle was to thick for her to get through. I try to avoid these areas, even if it means taking the long way around. At one of the last trickling creeks we crossed, just before leaving the timber, we sat and took a break. Normally, if I’m sitting, I have a camera in hand, either my phone or my canon.
I don’t know what I was doing or thinking about, but I caught movement, about 40-50 yards away, something small, coming down hill right at me, and pretty fast!! Automatically, I think “GRIZZlY CUB”, Bean laying by my feet, she couldn’t see as high as I could. Being I use the kifaru gun bearer, I didn’t have to look at what I was doing. In one fast motion, I unbuckled my rifle, fell to my knee and started to take an aim, all while starting to holler “HEY BEAR”, which got Beans attention, well, at that same second, that damn wolverine came charging (just on his hop, but a fast hop) from a little dip that took him out of my view for a sec, all 3 of us locked eyes as the wolverine did a 90 degree turn mid hop and bailed down through the thick balsam timber, it all happening in about 2-3 seconds, and 20’ in front of us, Bean looked at me with one of her WTF sideways google eyed looks, for as much as it got the Adrenalin going, it was a pretty cool experience. Even tho I wish I had my camera in hand, I’m glad my instinct did what it did. My only worry now, is that little ******* going to find my stash!!

By late morning we broke out above the bush, the sun was still behind the mountain, which made hiking in the shade a lot nicer. We didn’t go much further until we dumped our gear and called it camp, for now. It was only about a 500’ climb to be able to see over the hill we were on. We needed water, I knew there was a small puddle just over the hill from me from looking at google years previous. By the time we got down to the water, the temp had hit mid 20’s I bet. I can’t swim, but it sure felt good to scrub up in a cold puddle on a day like that. Bean on the other hand, you’d think she was a water dog.

https://i.imgur.com/pm26kv7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KqPs2L0.jpg

Love the scenery! Great story so far man!

kennyj
08-13-2018, 08:29 PM
Congratulations on a great ram,solo to boot!! Thanks for sharing your adventure and awesome photos.
kenny

ydouask
08-13-2018, 08:30 PM
Thank you for your well presented sheep hunt, great job. Congratulations ! :)

monasheemountainman
08-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Epic friggen thread!!! What an awesome hunter and hunting partner! Congrats, I wanna do that so bad!

fuzzybiscuit
08-13-2018, 08:43 PM
Very impressive Decker! What a great hunt and an awesome write up. Thanks for taking the time to take us along.

nature girl
08-13-2018, 08:58 PM
Wow what a awesome story and hunt and to take a beautifull ram in such a beautifull place. I really enjoyed reading it. And wonderfull pictures congradulations to you and to Bean dog for sticking it out with you.
Maybe next year your dad can come along.

northernbc
08-13-2018, 09:06 PM
Very proud of you , awesome determination. Great hunt.

Blainer
08-13-2018, 09:08 PM
Great share
Great accomplishment
You’ll look at that ram with pride, only your dog understands.
thanks for taking us along
Fantastic Ram

Sitkaspruce
08-13-2018, 09:13 PM
What a great hunt and great ram!!!

I love these stories, they get the juices flowing for the upcoming season!! It is what makes HBC!!!

Thanks for bringing us along and sharing in your awesome hunt!! Congrats on your solo ram!!

Cheers

SS

ErKu
08-13-2018, 09:14 PM
Thanks for sharing, such a great story and amazing pictures to go along with it. Congrats on your first ram definitely well deserved!

gcreek
08-13-2018, 09:18 PM
Great story. Thank you and congratulations.

whitlers
08-13-2018, 09:19 PM
Just finished reading. Wow...you had me glued. What an epic story and being a dog lover made it that much better for me. I have yet to bring my 2 year old pup up the mountain with me but you just set a goal.

Congrats!!

goathead
08-13-2018, 09:33 PM
fantastic story,what a great hunt.photos are great.congrats on a wonderfull animal

Rackmastr
08-13-2018, 09:33 PM
One of the best threads in a long while. Amazing!!! Congrats on a heck of an accomplishment!!!

JoeSixPack
08-13-2018, 09:41 PM
Awesome write up. Congrats on a hard earned ram. Well done!

cuervosail
08-13-2018, 09:43 PM
Fantastic story. Good on you for sticking it out despite all the mental setbacks. Congratulations.

Rattler
08-13-2018, 10:02 PM
Well that was just plain awesome!! Great write up and pictures. Well done and congrats on a beauty ram.

Thanks for taking us along on this epic adventure.

pg83
08-13-2018, 10:16 PM
Oh man! Followed the pics on social over the last few days, but this was so much better! Congrats on you achievement. You are in fine company with those who have taken a solo Stone.

LuckyIfYouGetOne
08-13-2018, 10:38 PM
Reading the story had me feeling like I was right there with you experiencing all the highs and lows...very well written...beautiful ram congrats!

cas-has-cars
08-14-2018, 12:42 AM
Very exciting read, I only hope to have a story to tell that comes even close to this one. Leaving tomorrow to catch a plane out of Muncho Lake for
a 10 day hunt with 3 great partners!
Well Done Decker!!!

revarchery
08-14-2018, 02:18 AM
Great thread, awesome experience and beauty ram. Nic job.

charlie_horse
08-14-2018, 07:27 AM
What an awesome hunt! Thanks for sharing! The highs makes all the lows so worth It!

KodiakHntr
08-14-2018, 08:21 AM
Huge respect for the perseverance, and for not chancing a shot when you weren’t positive on the range. Huge.

Really well done. You earned that one.

Darksith
08-14-2018, 08:43 AM
Great write up Ed...well desesrved man. You definitely earned that beauty of a ram

Romain
08-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Fantastic story and congrats on a great ram! Beautiful cape! Nice to see some good sheep stories start coming out of the woodwork!

Wild Images
08-14-2018, 09:18 AM
Great read, Well earned ram and a story that will always be yours to remember everytime you see that ram on your wall

Congratulations !!!

decker9
08-14-2018, 09:42 AM
Thank you all kindly!! Glad you all enjoyed it, it was pretty long and drawn out, but there were a lot of turning points that made this hunt end the way it did. Luckily tho, my old trucks big turning point waited until we got home. Not 20km after I got home, my fan clutch packed it in lol.

In honesty, it bugs me that my ram might only be 7 years old. When I pulled the trigger, I knew he may only be 7, but thought surely he was 8. I am still unbelievably thankful tho, he is some of the best table fare I have ever had.

cheers!

CPhillips
08-14-2018, 09:52 AM
Great story! Thanks for the read and Congrats

bearvalley
08-14-2018, 10:00 AM
Great story decker and congratulations on a well earned ram!

mooseknuckler
08-14-2018, 10:00 AM
Well done Decker!
I kinda know what you went through. I chased sheep for 10 years before getting one, and the trip I did was solo.

albravo2
08-14-2018, 10:20 AM
Maybe the best story I've ever read on here. Fantastic.

Congratulations!

Ohwildwon
08-14-2018, 10:20 AM
I don't know? To perfect, reads like a harlequin romance..:razz:

mod7rem
08-14-2018, 10:41 AM
Congratulations on your first ram and that’s a great write up.

You may already know this but a good way to have backup if you do forget or lose or break you’re rangefinder, is to use your scope reticle to range the distance. A ram is roughly 18” from back to brisket and would measure approximately 4.5 moa at 400yds. Not sure what kind of scope & reticle you have but for a duplex you can figure out what the subtension is between crosshair and tip of bottom post at certain power settings. Then you could have two or three different distances figured out for ram size if you need it.
I prefer a rangefinder but it works and I’ve used a simple duplex reticle to help kill 8 or 9 rams before I started using a rangefinder. I had 3 distances figured out. 1) Within point blank range(point and shoot), 2) within a distance that needed max amount of hold over I was willing to risk, and 3) it’s too far get closer.

Knute
08-14-2018, 11:24 AM
Well done Decker and Bean Dog!

A hunt to remember and tell of for years. Thanks for posting it up, very much appreciated. Great pics to bring us readers along with your tale.

todbartell
08-14-2018, 11:49 AM
awesome stuff Ed, thanks for taking the time to write a great story. Congrats on your well deserved success

tikkahunter
08-14-2018, 12:08 PM
Great story man, and congrats on a great ram. That's a pretty awesome dog you have there too.

BromBones
08-14-2018, 12:13 PM
Congrats man, heck of a trip! Way to grind it out til the end.

I spent 10 years chasing sheep with a lot of close calls but no success, so I can imagine how pumped you would have been finally getting a ram. I've got f***ed up knees and back from injuries now so I only get to be an armchair sheephunter anymore. Thanks for putting the story up and congrats again, you earned that one.

Mark-R
08-14-2018, 12:56 PM
Dang, you had me stay late at work pressing F5...F5...F5... on the ol' browser!
Great write up and photos, thanks for taking us along with ya!

kitnayakwa77
08-14-2018, 01:46 PM
Congratulations, I enjoyed reading about the ups and downs of your hunt.

Boner
08-14-2018, 02:11 PM
What a great write up! Thank you.

MadCat
08-14-2018, 04:21 PM
Great story and Congrats on the ram!!!

ElectricDyck
08-14-2018, 05:39 PM
Don't read much on here anymore but had some time to kill so read your story..very well written, you conveyed the emotion and described the story well with great pictures! Hunting solo for a week is and accomplishment in my eyes especially in grizz country, my dog would sleep outside the tent as well...I haven't hunted sheep much as judging horns doesn't excite me although i have spent a day staring at a probably legal ram from 300 yards so I do understand the tension..great write up! Congrats on the determination!

BStrachan
08-14-2018, 08:05 PM
Great read Decker thanks for sharing! Congratulations on a well deserved Ram

Brian011
08-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Congrats on a nice ram! Great story, makes me wish I was in the mountains on a sheep hunt! That’s awesome you were able to bring your dog with you!

miner_luke
08-14-2018, 09:07 PM
Let me add my congrats on taking that great ram and my sincere thanks for sharing your story with us. I think this one of my most favorite hunting stories I've read in a while!

thepitchedlink
08-14-2018, 09:25 PM
That was a damn fine story....well done

quadrakid
08-14-2018, 09:50 PM
Nothing but respect for you sheep hunters.Super photos and a story to last a lifetime.

Pinewood
08-14-2018, 09:58 PM
Amazing! Loved it!

kevan
08-14-2018, 10:54 PM
Awesome read, Thanks for posting.
Very well written thread !

mountain_hunter
08-15-2018, 12:09 AM
I had not read a great story like that in a while! Thanks for sharing Decker9. Well deserve ending after 9 years. Congrats

kootenaycarver
08-15-2018, 06:17 AM
Congrats!!!! A "GREAT" adventure you have shared with us, Excellent photos and narrative. As a sheep hunter who also hunts with a dog , this was a special story to follow. Thanks to you and Bean. A beautiful ram to be very proud of.

HunterChef
08-15-2018, 08:38 AM
Thanks for sharing your hunt. Amazing. Absolutely Amazing. GRIT!!!

Kb3
08-15-2018, 11:08 AM
Awesome story, thank you for writing it.

northof49
08-15-2018, 06:42 PM
Congratulations on a fantastic hunt and success. Great write-up and share taking us right along with you. Heck of a hunt buddy you have there....I’m envious. Lost my guy this spring. That was a beauty ram and must feel awesome. I really enjoyed the first few photos of the rams that first evening. The big guy was a pig....agree with your assessment. Cheers

tyreguy
08-15-2018, 07:28 PM
Awesome story and hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Norwestalta
08-15-2018, 08:19 PM
Wow what a great adventure you had. The ups, the downs and the end result. Great write up and congratulations.

HarryToolips
08-15-2018, 09:26 PM
Fantastic writeup, excellent pics, and a heck of a nice ram, and great job on not giving up man congrats!

08-15-2018, 09:39 PM
Wow what a great read.
Great story fantastic pics, congrats to you . dandy of a Ram Your hard work and determination paid off. Excellent!!!
Well earned and well deserved.

Thanks for taking us along.
CT

Jack Russell
08-15-2018, 09:42 PM
Great story and beauty ram.

That pic with the rifle over the ram just perfectly captures that moment of a successful sheep hunt. I could almost smell that ram.

Those hanging valley pics are amazing - beautiful country. That hunt was one solid effort!

Congrats!

Getbent
08-16-2018, 10:29 AM
Top Shelf man...thanks for taking the time!

Quesnel Kid
08-17-2018, 08:14 AM
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. It was a great read and I felt like I was there with you in the highs and the lows. Awesome!!!!

Rhyno
08-17-2018, 09:06 AM
This is one of the best reads ever posted on HBC, congrats on a well deserved ram!

showtimebc
08-17-2018, 08:43 PM
Unreal hunt and accomplishment! You earned it big time! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to next years story with your dad by your side.

bangbangkhan
08-17-2018, 09:08 PM
the sheep gods had spoken

Sabre2
08-17-2018, 09:12 PM
wow, great write up and photo's too. congrats on your ram. thanks for sharing

decker9
08-18-2018, 07:09 AM
Taking my first ram, an amazing feeling, all the comments you all have left, is right up there with it!!

Hope you all have a great season!! Looking forward to the story’s and photos!! If my luck continues, I’ll have a couple more this season to put up. Fly in moose for the end of September, then chasing ruttin/winter goats :).

Mik
08-18-2018, 06:52 PM
WOW! Great captioning of the day to day events as they unfolded. Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed the read. Congrats on your harvest and I hope your dad enjoyed the story as well

Krico
08-20-2018, 02:43 PM
Way to keep grinding and tough it out after all the challenges. It will take a while to really sink in I imagine.
Congrats on a hard earned well deserved ram!

Calico
08-21-2018, 08:16 PM
Solid Ram!

Thunderstix
08-22-2018, 01:48 AM
That was absolutely amazing! It takes a very different type of person who is willing to go off by themselves and take on an endeavor like that....good on ya!!

Weatherby Fan
08-22-2018, 04:04 AM
Outstanding story, pictures and a dandy Ram on a solo hunt, that’s amazing, congratulations

Very few people can do what you accomplished, thanks for sharing your incredible hunt with us.

WF

44inchStone
08-23-2018, 12:03 AM
A well deserved ram! congrats to you...and Bean of course!

downsouth204
08-24-2018, 07:41 AM
Amazing story and pics, thanks for posting!

newbie604
08-24-2018, 09:16 AM
great read and pics. sounds like a great adventure. congrats

Luka77
08-24-2018, 08:27 PM
Awesome story! Thank you for sharing and for time put in to write it. Congratulations on your ram!

Brambles
12-13-2018, 04:56 AM
That was a pretty amazing story, Typically the long stories loose interest and drag on but yours was a great read from start to finish, I fully expected you to be stuck on the mountain after taking the ram with no headlamp and your truck to be dead when you got back to the truck. Glad those two challenges didn't arise.....But Damn, to be on a week long trip with no headlamp...that would SUCK....not to mention the rangefinder....Congrats on a beautiful, well earned ram. Here's hoping the big fella will make it another year so your dad can get a crack at him next season.

downsouth204
12-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Amazing pics, thanks so much!

twoSevenO
12-13-2018, 12:20 PM
Congrats on your success. That's a heck of a story. Hope your ram mount turns out nice!!

Not sure I could continue to pursue something for that many years before moving onto something else lol.

decker9
12-13-2018, 08:34 PM
That was a pretty amazing story, Typically the long stories loose interest and drag on but yours was a great read from start to finish, I fully expected you to be stuck on the mountain after taking the ram with no headlamp and your truck to be dead when you got back to the truck. Glad those two challenges didn't arise.....But Damn, to be on a week long trip with no headlamp...that would SUCK....not to mention the rangefinder....Congrats on a beautiful, well earned ram. Here's hoping the big fella will make it another year so your dad can get a crack at him next season.

Thank ya!! The headlamp wasn’t to much problem for the most part, I was always prepared to sleep wherever I ended up, although from my experience with first time goat hunters, those are generally spend on the wrong side of the mountain eating goat on a stick lol! The range finder really sucked tho, distances can look deceiving in the mountains.

With any luck, there will be a goat hunt story come the new year here 😉, the rangefinder is already packed lol.

decker9
12-13-2018, 08:36 PM
Congrats on your success. That's a heck of a story. Hope your ram mount turns out nice!!

Not sure I could continue to pursue something for that many years before moving onto something else lol.

Generally the animal is icing on the cake, I gotta admit tho, I ate this icing first!! Lol. I was looking for an adventure, no better place then above timeline. :)

kelowna.jordan
12-14-2018, 03:21 PM
That was an awesome read. Great pics and success! Very cool man

jac
12-14-2018, 11:22 PM
Great job love the story!!! I bet your dad was smiling ear to ear . Looks like you have a great dog there

decker9
05-27-2019, 09:55 PM
For some reason, I could care less where the tv remote is. Today was like Christmas, cheers!

https://i.imgur.com/Z0D1zXD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KnseYSD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xfyOH1p.jpg
https://imgur.com/a/6GiHhVm

northof49
05-27-2019, 10:38 PM
Looks great

Darksith
05-28-2019, 06:18 AM
Looks great Eddie, you really did earn that one! Congrats

Blockcaver
05-28-2019, 07:54 AM
Looks great!!! Congrats again.

Knute
05-28-2019, 08:45 AM
Great looking mount. So many memories to relish every time you admire it, congrats again.

Kopper
05-28-2019, 12:54 PM
Looks sharp. Congrats again.

CheesyLimper
03-17-2020, 11:04 AM
Bump awesome story.

decker9
03-17-2020, 06:11 PM
Thank CL!

update, I got to see close up photos (not mine) of that bigger ram, he was a beauty!!

CheesyLimper
03-17-2020, 06:46 PM
Someone shoot that ram, or was it a live pic?

Thank CL!

update, I got to see close up photos (not mine) of that bigger ram, he was a beauty!!

decker9
03-17-2020, 09:44 PM
Someone shoot that ram, or was it a live pic?

He got taken last fall on opening day by another fellow. I seen photos from after his hunt.

12-29-2020, 12:45 PM
Great story man!

dru88
12-29-2020, 03:58 PM
Glad this thread got bumped. That was the best hunting story I have read in a long time and the pictures were awesome.
Thanks again for taking the time to share you hunt.

cuervosail
12-29-2020, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the bump. I just re-read this after posting my congrats a couple of years ago. I'm 2 for 3 in sheep hunts and I hope to up that average in 2021 on what may end up being a 14-day solo trip. If I had a dog like Decker's, it would make the journey even more enjoyable.

3than
12-29-2020, 09:53 PM
Read this story a few times now. Awesome story!

decker9
12-30-2020, 07:52 AM
Cheers guys! Spent a week up there last season with my family (including my 7 year old). No luck but still had a great time.

porthunter
12-30-2020, 09:48 AM
Thinking its time for your Winter goat success story this year... Wicked write up buddy

decker9
12-30-2020, 11:19 AM
Thinking its time for your Winter goat success story this year... Wicked write up buddy

Its nearly as long coming as this sheep success was Lol. We spent Xmas eve / Xmas day and Boxing Day out looking around. We only located one good billy but was out of our reach with the time we had. Im looking at 8-10 days in February now, but don’t have a real solid plan as of yet.

The Hermit
12-30-2020, 12:30 PM
Wow don't know how I missed this one... made for a great morning coffee + read. Congrats! Give Beaner a cookie!!

bard
01-01-2021, 10:25 AM
Great story telling. you had me hooked right in. I am in full sheep hunting mode now. too bad its january. lol. congrats on a beauty ram.

harbinger
01-02-2021, 07:33 AM
Man! Thanks so much for that, that was a great ride! So well put together, bravo!
I see you are a fellow Kifaru fan, I have a question about your gun bearer. Looked like, in one of the photos, you have the stock of your rifle on your left side but you shoot right. Is that how they say to carry it? I was going to order one and its says (for a kifaru pack) left side and right side...I would have ordered for my right side. Please advise!

decker9
01-02-2021, 09:21 AM
Man! Thanks so much for that, that was a great ride! So well put together, bravo!
I see you are a fellow Kifaru fan, I have a question about your gun bearer. Looked like, in one of the photos, you have the stock of your rifle on your left side but you shoot right. Is that how they say to carry it? I was going to order one and its says (for a kifaru pack) left side and right side...I would have ordered for my right side. Please advise!

Glad you enjoyed it!!

I honestly don’t recall having to choose a left or a right bearer. I do shoot left handed so I keep it on my left side. If I’m in an area that I may need a quick draw, I’ll use the shoulder strap attachment, but I do find after a long day (and especially after a few hard days) it gives me a lame shoulder on that side, so I tend to carry my rifle with my barrel poked up through my side compression strap on my bag, so that it’s attached to the side of my bag. It’s still quick to deploy, but not as quick as using the shoulder strap front carry.

I’m am huge fan of kifaru’s product, but after my last order from them in November, I won’t be ordering from them again.

On another note, if I was to want another bearer, I’d build my own. Basically is just a pouch attached to your hip belt that cradles the butstock.

Username48
01-02-2021, 10:41 AM
Very captivating read. You know a story is good when you're just casually browsing a forum for a few minutes and end up spending 30 minutes slowly reading through every post.

Congrats! You obviously worked hard for that ram and deserve the success.

mikeman20
01-05-2021, 04:05 PM
Great hunt, great pics and great writing!

IsleBlacktail
01-17-2024, 12:24 PM
Amazing story, write up , and photos! Inspiring! Thank you for taking the time to share!

decker9
01-18-2024, 01:38 AM
Thanks fellas, cheers!

Andrewh
01-20-2024, 10:18 AM
Wow time flies hey, seems like yesterday we were writing these stories.

Might be time for another one:)