PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on a bag. Mystery ranch or exo?

Bigman
08-13-2018, 04:04 AM
Been eyeing up the Exo K2 5500 and read only great things. But have heard really good things about the Mystery Ranch metcalf. What do you use? Would like to hear your thoughts on bags as I gear up for my first hunting season! Thank you for taking your time in reading this.

ljalberta
08-13-2018, 08:06 AM
I use Kifaru. Both bags you have listed have great reputations and a great following! I think what you'll find is packs are similar to boots, in that a large part is personal fit and preference. Some would like the Exo more, some would like the MR more. If you can find someone local to try on a few with weight, that would be a great place to start! Many companies allow for a 30 day return policy that gives you a chance to put some weight in there and give it a run.

Jrax
08-13-2018, 11:43 AM
I like the versatility of the exo to switch the 2000 bag with 5500 bag on the frame on the fly. Roll up the 2000 bag and pack it in the 5500, get to spike camp location then simply remove the 5500 and attach the 2000. Excellent pack overall.

ryanszeredi
08-13-2018, 01:00 PM
really enjoying my exo 5500. it fits me great and when i load it up with a sand bag for hikes its still very comfy

todbartell
08-13-2018, 01:12 PM
A happy Exo user here, this will be my third hunting season using it. The Metcalf is a great pack too, you really can`t go too wrong with any high end pack. I like the waist pockets on the Exo

Hadda
08-17-2018, 08:20 PM
Never used exo, but I've had a few high end packs. MR fit me best, just personal preference. I liked the bags and lighter weight of the kifaru.

Highlander Hunting
09-14-2018, 01:08 PM
I've used a Metcalf for the past three years. I like it. It carries weight very well, frame fits well. My only complaint- not enough compartments. My next pack will have more compartments. Just easier to find things quickly that way. MR makes a Plinter which has more compartments.

dante1818
09-15-2018, 08:21 AM
I would take a look at Alps Outdoorz as well. I have the Commander and Traverse X and really enjoy both. Commander frame can store a lot of stuff for longer wood stints and for the day pack use the Traverse X. Love the Rifle and bow holder slings on both and have used the feature quite a bit! Take a look may be an inexpensive option that has gone fairly under the radar in this topic.

Jordan f.
09-16-2018, 11:48 AM
Stone Glacier is high on my list.

But all these bags are great. I am sure no matter what you buy, it'll do the job!

IslandWanderer
09-16-2018, 12:21 PM
Neither...Bullpack.

Edit: I bought it years ago. Last winter I wanted to update the shoulder straps. I called, and the owner answered the phone.

ditch donkey
09-16-2018, 03:44 PM
i have an exo 5500 and really enjoy this pack. As far as your decision goes it depends if you are using this pack mostly for a day hunt pack or a multi day pack. If briefly used the metcalf as well. both packs are plenty comfortable but the exo certainly is lighter. i found the metcalf great as a day pack but small if you plan to pack around your multi day gear. the exo 5500 would be my choice over the metcalf because it will compress down to the size of the metcalf or can be expanded if you wanna load it up. also the side pockets on the exo are nice. both pack have some similarities but i feel the exo has a slight advantage.