PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day - Archery

brotherjack
09-02-2007, 12:49 AM
caveat: story is rough, I'm tired, maybe later I'll polish it up a bit.

So, opening day - archery. Like everyone else in the kootenays, The Wife (tm) and I were looking for anything in the elk family (big bulls are preferred, but hey, we'll take what we can get - we like elk steaks any way we can get em').

We headed out long before daylight to the same spot where my wife got her LEH cow elk last year. It's out by the city fields, which is typically a madhouse of hunters, but the spot we'd found last year was back off the roads a bit, nice and secluded and we never saw another soul the whole time. Well, that was last year. Apparently we're not the only ones who thought it looked like a gorgeous spot for an elk ambush. After the second bowhunter of the day came within sight (one of which walked within 5 feet of me and never figured out I wasn't a bush - it was VERY hard not to yell 'boo' and see how high he would jump, but I just let him go on, never knowing I was there), and the umpteenth quad drove by (some of them not even bothering to turn the quad off before honking their hoochie-mammas), we packed that mess in and headed for home for an early lunch. We had seen two does before the traffic got thick, but big deal - we are NOT shooting a doe on opening day. We'll do that during late archery season if we're desperate for a bit of meat.

Regrouped, we headed to a new spot I had found last year, but didn't know much about it's current state. It was a nice spring of fresh water deep in the forest with gobs of critter sign, but they've clearcut to within 200 yards of it, so we didn't know what to expect (other than solitude - it's a bit off the beaten path). Got there - still gobs of critter sign. Setup shop, and The Wife and I took turns napping and looking for elk to walk by so whichever one of us wasn't napping could try out the new crossbow. Hours and hours later, no elk. One doe with fawn was all we saw the whole time. Tired and discouraged, we headed home for supper.

That done, we headed to yet another spot - this one a tried and true standby hunting spot right by a nice spring of water. Several hours later, my back and shoulders were in severe pain from sitting mostly motionless without a backrest or chair, hoping for an elk to walk up. No elk, just pain and discouragement.

Then, out of the bush walks a really nice looking 5x5 whitetail, still in velvet. I said to myself - "no way, it's first day of the season, I'll let him walk. This is the year I'm going to hold out for a monster non-typical or something" Then, my inner voice piped up, and we had a conversation that went something like this:

Inner voice: hey, numbskull, how often to you see nice whitetails like that one in a typical season?
Me: maybe once, in a good year.

Inner voice: hey, stupid, have you ever shot a nice whitetail like that with a bow?
Me: nope - just a little 3 point.

Inner voice: would you shoot this guy during rifle season?
Me: of course - he's a very nice buck.

Inner voice: so get off your stupid butt and shoot this deer as soon as he turns broadside, eh!
Me: oh... since you put it that way...

So, I started the (as it turned out) agonizing process of getting a shot lined up. Those who whine about the tremendous advantage a crossbow has by being already drawn, can kiss my white butt. It is just as terribly tedious work to get that bow out of the lap and up to the shoulder without yee olde' deer getting wise to the plan, as it is to pull back your bow (especailly when you're sitting at ground level, with no cover but some bushes that only come to about your midsection - which is how I was setup).

I got spotted 4 times between lap and shoulder which required the old 'freeze and pray' maneuver, and so by the time I had my eye to the scope about 5 minutes later, my arms are literally shaking from fatigue at having to hold the bow in various awkward positions along the way. To make matters worse, the scope is totally fogged, and the deer is now quartering to me.

I get spotted again while rubbing the scope lens with my gloved thumb, and another 1+ minute frozen standoff goes by (during which time, the scope re-fogs). I can't believe the deer can't see my left arm quivering from fatigue from holding the bow up for so long. The tension in my body/mind/soul is just off the charts.

Finally, the deer decides he's had enough of me, and does an end-for-end, and then stops and glares at me at about 18 yards. I swipe at the scope just once with my thumb and pray. Then, just for a moment, he's doing a quartering-to that is so close to broadside, as to offer a textbook double-lung shot. I hold off, unwilling to risk him jumping the string because he's tense and staring right at me. Then, for a split second, the buck's focus wanders, and he glances away from me and seems to relax. The moment at hand, a double-shot of adrenalin hits, which steadies me up like a rock, the freshly wiped crosshairs hit the sweet spot and hold solid, time stands still, and I squeeze the trigger. A 'swish' and a 'thwack' happen almost simultaneously.

I think I was shaking again before the arrow hit home. I sat there in that semi-shock state you get after a huge jolt of adrenalin has started to wear off, and watch the buck walk calmly away as if nothing happened - except I could see the neat little 3 bladed hole in his side about an inch back from his shoulder blade and a little below center. He calmly meanders on out of sight. I wait for what seems forever (probably only a matter of seconds - I can never tell actual time at moments like that), and finally I hear him go down.

I sat and waited another 20 minutes till the shadows started playing tricks on my eyes (still 5-10 minutes before that 'hour after sundown' close of day), stubbornly hoping that I'd get an elk come up to the water hole before dark, and have a double-header. No such luck. Oh well, my back wasn't up to dressing and hanging two critters tonight anyway.

So, all in all, a very slow day. Only saw a very few deer, and no elk. Just happened that one of those few deer was pretty decent. Maybe tomorrow, we'll see an elk. :)

Anyway - before someone begs for pictures, here they are. Not bad for an opening-day buck, eh?

http://xjack.org/hunting/awt1-07-front.jpg
http://xjack.org/hunting/awt1-07-left.jpg
http://xjack.org/hunting/awt1-07-right.jpg

Jetboat
09-02-2007, 01:35 AM
Thank you for a good read & congrats on a job well done :smile: A clean kill on a nice whitey. That early season buck will make for some fine vittles so I guess you're primed for elk now.

Beverly
09-02-2007, 01:51 AM
Wow good for you! He's a nice one!!! Loved the play by play...ya not easy holding a crossbow when they have an eye on ya lol!

FullDraw
09-02-2007, 02:27 AM
Nice job and nice deer!

F/D

rocksteady
09-02-2007, 02:34 AM
Way to go Bro.....Now the pressure is off abit and you can hold out for a trophy antlerless elk....Great story....

Fisher-Dude
09-02-2007, 05:54 AM
Sweet lookin buck Brother! Great story about the inner voice...I know mine would have told me to do exactly what yours did.

tailgate77
09-02-2007, 06:37 AM
Great story, super buck.

Brambles
09-02-2007, 06:44 AM
Good job, nice whitey, you going to preserve the velvet or remove it?

ianwuzhere
09-02-2007, 06:56 AM
good story- beauty whitetail! What a good way to start the season. Thanx for showin us the pix. Congrats!

valleycowboy
09-02-2007, 07:14 AM
congrats and great story.super lookin buck!!!!! good luck on the elk.

longwalk
09-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Great story, good buck. Lots of luck with the elk.

ratherbefishin
09-02-2007, 07:50 AM
great textbook shot-and since this is my first season with an excaliber-how far did he go after the hit?

horshur
09-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Nice deer.

Mik
09-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Congratulations. Thanks for the story. Great Pics.

Bow Walker
09-02-2007, 08:43 AM
:!: Adam - that deer is going to be better eating than anything taken close to the rut, when you might have spotted him or his "Bro".

Great story that does not need 'polishing up later'........except for the one place where you wrote "....The Wife.....and neglected to add the (TM) :cool:

Congratulations on a successful opening day! :-)

Dan.

brotherjack
09-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. And to answer the questions:

Yeah, I think I'm going to see about getting the velvet preserved. Getting one in velvet is rare enough that it gives it a sense of uniqueness that I like. Though, if I was doing it purely on aesthetics, I think I like non-velvet antlers better.

He didn't go very far at all. Maybe 25 yards from point of impact at a slow walk. If it hadn't been for the trees he walked into, he would have gone down about 30 yards from me. Though, I suspect, that if he had put the coals on and run after the shot, he might have made 60 to 100.

Speaking of the Excalibur - we're going back today to try and find the arrow. Couldn't find it in the dimming light last night. It wasn't where I expected to find it, just on the other side of where he was standing. Mind you, the Excalibur puts out about twice the KE of my old Horton, and the Horton made plenty for a clean pass through shot, so I'm not sure if the arrow even slowed down much on the way through last night. It actually bloodshot a bit of meat on the impact side, almost like a rifle.

Anyhoo, breakfast, and off to go find that arrow. We'll do some elk hunting this afternoon and later tonight. Stay tuned!

quadrakid
09-02-2007, 09:28 AM
great story and pics brotherjack, i really enjoyed your posts last year, fun to keep track of hunters who are lucky enough to hunt deer and elk so close to home. good luck with the elk.

newhunterette
09-02-2007, 09:33 AM
glad to see people are having wonderful luck - beauty deer and fantastic story - congratulations

Ali

BANG!
09-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Well Done BrotherJack - one of the best write-ups I've ever read on the site - great work on all counts! Thanks for sharing,

bsa30-06
09-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Great story Brotherjack, congrats on an awesome buck.

ruger#1
09-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Wow BJ that was an awsome story. thanks Hope you get your elk , Good Luck

brotherjack
09-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Wow - that arrow must have kept going, and going, and going. We searched for over an hour, and had exactly the angle from where I was sitting to where the deer was standing to start from, and then we resorted to grid searches over any spot it even vaguely could have been, and just nothing at all. I feel bad about leaving it in the bush, but what I can't find, I can't find. :(

Makes me think that maybe next year, I think I'm going to get some of those illuminock type knocks that both make it easy to see where the hit was, and will flash so you can find your arrow in the dark.

peterrum3
09-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Nice, well written story, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Marc
09-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Good for you bother Jack, looks like all the patience and scouting paid off again.

Freshtracks
09-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Congrats on an great buck BJ ... look forward to more of your hunts relived. :wink:

Macgregor
09-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Very nice. I wouldn't have passed on him either.

Brambles
09-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Quite often at archery shoots the arrow's find them selves under the Duff if you miss the target and are invisible until you uncover them.

stanway
09-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Great job! Nice buck and a great trophy - especially an archery buck.

Good luck on your search for an elk...should be easier now that the 'pressure' is off.:wink: