PDA

View Full Version : Sockeye tomorrow

harley1
08-06-2018, 08:05 AM
Long time fishing, but first time trying the sockeye run. To be honest I don’t want to participate in the gong show. Not asking for secret spot, but is there basically good producing, less crowded spots. Or, is the only options to stand shoulder to shoulder with the masses? I have fishing kayak if that helps. Cheers.

Fella
08-06-2018, 08:13 AM
You could try going to one of the bars that are only accessible by boat. But it’s my experience that those get crowded too.

GordJ
08-06-2018, 08:15 AM
So you’ve never fished the sockeye run but you have already decided that it is a gong show? I’ve driven the river from Chilliwack to Hope during sockeye season and witnessed over a thousand people who, in the majority, were having a ball and weren’t aware that it was your gong show. Why not stay home and hang on to your prejudices?
Rarely have I gone fishing and not met someone new that made the day more interesting, even during the “gong show”.

Fella
08-06-2018, 08:20 AM
So you’ve never fished the sockeye run but you have already decided that it is a gong show? I’ve driven the river from Chilliwack to Hope during sockeye season and witnessed over a thousand people who, in the majority, were having a ball and weren’t aware that it was your gong show. Why not stay home and hang on to your prejudices?
Rarely have I gone fishing and not met someone new that made the day more interesting, even during the “gong show”.

Lol you have a great outlook on things. I grew up fishing the Fraser, and yeah as long as you’re not fishing next to some yahoos it’s a great time, most guys/gals are respectful and even helpful if you need a hand with something.

harley1
08-06-2018, 08:25 AM
Love getting out and mixing with people when fishing. Just going off what I’ve read.

hoochie
08-06-2018, 09:34 AM
Love getting out and mixing with people when fishing. Just going off what I’ve read.

I sold my boat 5yrs ago..thought the fishing was going to be a thing of the past. I have numerous stories I could share that would make you laugh... and yes... call it a gong show. I dont know where people fish if they havent seen the gong show. Years ago we could drive to peg leg... and honestly, a friend of mine suggested that we get a gong to hit once it started.
There will be someone, somewhere.. at some point every day...where you say to yourself." ok.. here we go.." lol

Fella
08-06-2018, 09:43 AM
I sold my boat 5yrs ago..thought the fishing was going to be a thing of the past. I have numerous stories I could share that would make you laugh... and yes... call it a gong show. I dont know where people fish if they havent seen the gong show. Years ago we could drive to peg leg... and honestly, a friend of mine suggested that we get a gong to hit once it started.
There will be someone, somewhere.. at some point every day...where you say to yourself." ok.. here we go.." lol
Dad and I used to fish with a guy who seems to be at the centre of a lot of silly stuff out on the bars. I remember one time he almost put a hole in someone jet boat with his .410...

harley1
08-06-2018, 09:45 AM
Exactly what I heard and read. I was just asking is that the only option - appears with every post, you always get someone taking wrong way, or just looking to start an argument. Reason a lot of people just lurk and don’t post. Shame

Fella
08-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Exactly what I heard and read. I was just asking is that the only option - appears with every post, you always get someone taking wrong way, or just looking to start an argument. Reason a lot of people just lurk and don’t post. Shame
Don’t think anyone is arguing, just giving our experiences is all!

cmac
08-06-2018, 10:20 AM
It is going to be busy. Always is. I like to fish the last 2 hours, the bars start clearing out by then. I agree there are some nice people out fishing and there are a few ass hats that give it a bad name. If you have lots of time explore a bit and see if you can find a less crowded spot. They usually are less crowded for a reason. I like to get my 2 fish and go home so I just join the crowds.

harley1
08-06-2018, 11:05 AM
Thanks all. Will give it a shot :)

cinnabear
08-06-2018, 11:11 AM
I'm heading down tommorow with a buddy and his jet boat. I learned quickly that you have to have some kind of boat to get away from the crowds. I have been to pegleg bar when there is people shoulder to shoulder fishing but a quick trip over to the other side in a little boat and your fishing with way less people. I tend to fish spagetti bar but it changed and now you have to go up and around the corner. Have fun and stay hydrated it going to be hot.

lip_ripper00
08-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Just below Rosedale bridge, Ferrie Island bar, parking lot side will be busy but I think the water should still be high enough to keep people from driving, wading over. Maybe kayak over? Will be current running through their use discretion.

silvertipp
08-06-2018, 11:14 AM
If I were you I would put in at the Agassiz bridge and float down there is some good fishing just down from the bridge but you will need a pick up at the next bar down
i believe it at the end of gill rd

harley1
08-06-2018, 11:40 AM
Awesome advice guys! Cheers

russm
08-06-2018, 11:47 AM
Went out and fished the ocean on Saturday, hooked 4 sockeye, lost 2 at the boat, a couple under size springs and lots of shakers around, I wouldn’t worry about getting out for another week or so in the upper river.

.300WSMImpact!
08-06-2018, 04:49 PM
Went out and fished the ocean on Saturday, hooked 4 sockeye, lost 2 at the boat, a couple under size springs and lots of shakers around, I wouldn’t worry about getting out for another week or so in the upper river.

you mean Lillooet is upper river?

russm
08-06-2018, 07:19 PM
I meant the non tidal portion of the Fraser, from mission up, I’d wait on bottom bouncing for another week or so.

abbyfireguy
08-06-2018, 08:44 PM
The test sets at Whonnock aren’t that good yet..
But when they have commie openings the river takes a few days to fill back up.
I might go out for a look see tomorrow. I will likely anchor mid river and fish out of my boat.

Modeltwelve
08-06-2018, 08:59 PM
Driving over the golden ears saturday no shit the test fishery poor at mission. Suprised there were any fish at mission.

lip_ripper00
08-06-2018, 10:49 PM
So ok, you all know sockeye are schooling fish right? They will not be bank to bank the whole stretch of the river, when they have openings down river expect to see slow fishing. I will be at the top of Harrison bar tomorrow drinking beer and collecting agates, watching down the bar, when I see 2-3 fish on, I will pick up my rod and kill some fish.

Stormy
08-07-2018, 12:39 PM
So ok, you all know sockeye are schooling fish right? They will not be bank to bank the whole stretch of the river, when they have openings down river expect to see slow fishing. I will be at the top of Harrison bar tomorrow drinking beer and collecting agates, watching down the bar, when I see 2-3 fish on, I will pick up my rod and kill some fish.

Sounds like fun - it could get busy tho' take extra beer - lol!

Takla
08-07-2018, 01:00 PM
Pretty hot out there,sportsmen should be comeing in out of the sun soon,any reports on the fishing opening day?

Petros65
08-07-2018, 01:52 PM
100% ---- its only a gong show when a handful of people think that they have sole exclusive rights to a spot. The reality is that any fisherman wants a chance to catch a fish or two. The season is short and the fish are plentiful so its going to get crowded. I too have met many good people and had lots of fun.

wideopenthrottle
08-07-2018, 02:26 PM
some people consider fishing anywhere you could cast and hit someone else a "gong show"...me included....but I grew up in a place where if there was someone else at a spot you went somewhere else...for me, I was indoctrinated to feel fishing is a means to escape the hustle and bustle....just like some do not want to hunt in an area where others are hunting....I would try launching up at Harrison mills and take the short boat ride to the Fraser

ryanonthevedder
08-07-2018, 02:33 PM
Went out for a couple hours with the kids. Fished 1 rod in a couple spots and didn’t touch a fish. Saw 2 fish out of 300 or so rods and the consensus was fishing is slow. One fella had 4 but had 6 hours on 4 rods to get them. I’m going to wait a couple weeks to go out again unless I hear otherwise.

harley1
08-07-2018, 02:35 PM
Went to agassiz near spaghetti bar and stayed 2.5 hours. There were about 15 guys there and I didn’t see anyone catching. Then, we dropped by peg leg bar on way back and talked to a few guys and sounds same there. Apparently a 3, or 4 guys caught a few small ones, but it was slow fishing. Maybe end of week will pick up. I was surprised, although busy, not crazy busy. There were a few spots on way that had a lot of cars though, so maybe other spots were jamming

lip_ripper00
08-07-2018, 03:10 PM
​been here about an hour, I’m done ✅

walks with deer
08-07-2018, 04:03 PM
well the natives jad the comercial opening in advance..read fisheries notice...

Takla
08-07-2018, 04:04 PM
I heard there was possibly going to be a commercial opening in the river the next couple day,anyone heard anything?If so the river will be vacuumed clean for 2-3 days

walks with deer
08-07-2018, 04:05 PM
there open cause we cleaned her out...lol

Takla
08-07-2018, 04:10 PM
Just as i figured its dfo's usual strategy..They know the numbers going thru the counter east of Mission..I said to stevie yesterday bet the returns arent that strong for the opening....well we still have a few weeks for things to pick up

Salty
08-07-2018, 05:28 PM
Went to the Wack today drove hwy 1 there and 7 back. Ho leeee fak I've never seen anything like it. I've seen a lot of busy fishing spots but nothing like this. I bet I saw 500 vehicles? And that's just what I could see from the highways I think half the boats that float in the lower mainland were out there too? lol

But hey. I'm spoiled. 20 plus years on the north island and a lot of northern BC time will do that I guess. Anyways lots of folks seemed to be smiling so its all good. The only sign of success was a boat anchored by the Hope bridge that looked like he was playing a nice snagger. ;) Think I'll just sit here and watch'm swim by :tongue:

frenchbar
08-07-2018, 05:35 PM
Nothin like a good fist fight at the river ...

Salty
08-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Nothin like a good fist fight at the river ...

Word. But Its a lot harder to slash tires these days that's taken a lot of fun out of it :mrgreen:

walks with deer
08-07-2018, 07:36 PM
oh when they commercial open first the only fish that will be caught fit through the 5 and 1/4 inch net squeekers 3pounders with net marks.. tonight on 50km of river there will be a boat every 300meters ready to set net thats thats 200 boats that will take 300-500 fish a peice starts at 7 am...thats 100,000 fish will die tommorow. no sense cating boys from mission bridge oute this first wave is gone...

abbyfireguy
08-07-2018, 09:42 PM
Going camping .. Didn’t go out yet. Low numbers so far.
next week maybe...

lip_ripper00
08-07-2018, 10:27 PM
I heard there was possibly going to be a commercial opening in the river the next couple day,anyone heard anything?If so the river will be vacuumed clean for 2-3 days

yep it’s going to happen, I will go back up and fish tomorrow, should be okay , I want to hit the chuck on th weekend

Hublocker
08-07-2018, 10:44 PM

No need to have "heard" anything. You don't have to be a member of a secret society, know the special handshake or even have an exclusive decoder ring.

It's on DFO's fisheries notices for anyone to read.

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=211538&ID=all

whitespringer
08-08-2018, 01:38 PM
Anybody know if you can fish Laidlaw yet? As I recall, that bar was accessible later than others as you had to wade a pretty good stretch of water.
tight lines...

Liveforthehunt
08-08-2018, 02:59 PM
A friend of mine was out yesterday limited out early on and said the fishing was good ? Hmm I guess it depends on where you fish and how lucky you are.

hoochie
08-08-2018, 04:12 PM
A friend of mine was out yesterday limited out early on and said the fishing was good ? Hmm I guess it depends on where you fish and how lucky you are.

same story as myself. a friend got out early.. said he got his sockeye farther up. I got none.
crossed the river a few times today, saw Gill netters from Golden ears down through Richmond.

.300WSMImpact!
08-08-2018, 07:56 PM
Its a tough fish, some catching but not lights out it was longer than expected to get limit, I think its early more fish coming

.300WSMImpact!
08-08-2018, 07:59 PM
Anybody know if you can fish Laidlaw yet? As I recall, that bar was accessible later than others as you had to wade a pretty good stretch of water.
tight lines...

laidlaw was tough some catching but most empty handed

Gone_Fishin_
08-09-2018, 07:19 AM
3 guys, 6 in the cooler in 45 minutes last night. Chilliwack mid river area.

Might be a bit slower today with commercial open yesterday, however in saying that. Almost all the fish we got had net marks all over so some are making it through.

walks with deer
08-09-2018, 01:00 PM
yup net marks and small probably under 4lbs squezzed through a net probably 3 year olds

Gone_Fishin_
08-10-2018, 08:08 AM
3 guys last night for 3 hours. Touched 1 fish for a few seconds and that was it. Seen 1 fish hooked/landed in the 20+ boats around us between 4-7:30....

Hopefully today is better.... we will see.

russm
08-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Anyone been out fishing the mouth of the Fraser this week, was out last weekend, wondering if it’s picked up a bit?

08-11-2018, 05:07 PM
South arm has been great to those hitting day light bite. Then it can be hours and hours of nothing then boom lights out fish on every where. 50- 70 feet our best. Some good springs in the mix plus the odd hatch coho.
Over time T 10 to North arm will start to build better.
Good luck.
CT

08-14-2018, 08:16 PM
North Arm towards Iona was lights out for us today. Easy limits to 12. Lost several too. Extra Attractors below hootch presentations helped a ton im sure. 30 to 65 feet for most action.

Diesel all over in the lower river from a Tug that went down last night. Nasty.

Released a spring to save a Whale. :mrgreen:

IslandWanderer
08-14-2018, 08:19 PM
Not Fraser river caught, but still Sockeye:

https://ibb.co/buuKT9
https://ibb.co/iZUa1U
https://ibb.co/ciS1ap
https://ibb.co/hxow89
https://ibb.co/mCHdMU
https://ibb.co/fWEgap
https://ibb.co/h8kMap
https://ibb.co/gNEsgU

ElectricDyck
08-14-2018, 09:27 PM
North Arm towards Iona was lights out for us today. Easy limits to 12. Lost several too. Extra Attractors below hootch presentations helped a ton im sure. 30 to 65 feet for most action.

Diesel all over in the lower river from a Tug that went down last night. Nasty.

Released a spring to save a Whale. :mrgreen:

Save the whales lol..was it rough out today? Man those silver socks taste amazing! I BBQd one on tinfoil with salt, peeper, green onions and butter and it tasted like the finest strip loin steak..

browningboy
08-14-2018, 10:21 PM
I was out today, was slow but holy helicopters etc buzzing around, thought it was Vietnam

ElectricDyck
08-14-2018, 10:36 PM
I guy I went with said the helicopters and planes were whale spotters ..they would radio the RIBs with tourists when they saw anything ..

Gone_Fishin_
08-15-2018, 08:02 AM
Fraser was bumping last night in chwk.

5 people in the boat. 10 sockeye in 1.5 hours.

Wentrot
08-15-2018, 12:22 PM
Fraser was bumping last night in chwk.

5 people in the boat. 10 sockeye in 1.5 hours.

Yup, all week it’s been lights out. I haven’t even seen a fist fight yet!

russm
08-15-2018, 08:23 PM
Just got in from Chilliwack, there was a few caught when I got to gill rd but not much going on, couldn’t be bothered to push in to one of the “good spots” so I hung out for a bit and headed home, going to hit the salt on Saturday, I seem to better for sockeyes out there.

Islandeer
08-15-2018, 08:29 PM
Lots sockeye around the island!!!
renfrew on fire!!

dmaxtech
08-15-2018, 10:51 PM
Son and I got 3 tonight on the way to Hope. Took a couple hours. Not many others caught fish. Hopefully better by the weekend.

browningboy
08-16-2018, 06:30 AM
Went over the Port Mann last night and the river is loaded with commercial fisherman, just loaded... enjoy your time as it’s over now...

08-18-2018, 09:01 AM
Still on Big Time at the mouth with Sox Spring and the od Ho.

Have at er while u can

.300WSMImpact!
08-18-2018, 01:37 PM
any fishing updates? netting making it slaw down?

dmaxtech
08-18-2018, 03:20 PM
Was slow last night, likely due to the 2 days netting. Was fishing towards Hope so was hoping some fish were still in the system, lost 1 and only saw 2 others caught. Hopefully better tonight.

twoSevenO
08-18-2018, 03:34 PM
On my way home this morning I stopped at flood hope rd. Laidlaw and ferry island. Spent 30 mins at each. Flood hope had 4 fish or so (3 from north that I could see through the binos 1 south). Laidlaw saw zero action. Ferry island is busy as f*** but also zero action.

The commie opening definitely took a toll.

Dirty
08-18-2018, 04:07 PM
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/CommunalOpeningTimes.pdf

https://www.psc.org/publications/fraser-panel-in-season-information/fraser-river-panel-regulatory-announcements/

Huge FSC Aboriginal opening this weekend from the mouth to canyon. Also another commercial opening planned for Tuesday 10am-6pm. The river will be nuked until next weekend unless they give them another commmecial opening before then which they will probably do after their Tuesday meeting.

Salty
08-19-2018, 07:57 PM
Well I've got to say I've come around on this society of the sockeye snaggers :lol: My wife got a little fish crazy talking to the guys at work who were doing well. She ended up buying a river rod our stuff wasn't really suitable and after following her around I've succumbed too. I brought my 35 year old Ambassadeur back from the edge of death do to my neglect and years on the chuck and it cleaned up beauty and works fine now.

Kind of spotty up river here no luck today but connected yesterday. I've actually met a lot of nice folks with a low percentage of assholes out there. Glad I got my head around it.. its a meat fishery, get over it dum ass ;) Real nice to see the product of the mega 2010 run living on I'll never forget seeing that up the coast it was amazing.

silvertipp
08-19-2018, 09:54 PM
Was out in Chilliwack four people
took a couple hours to limit out

Wentrot
08-20-2018, 06:39 AM
Well I've got to say I've come around on this society of the sockeye snaggers :lol: My wife got a little fish crazy talking to the guys at work who were doing well. She ended up buying a river rod our stuff wasn't really suitable and after following her around I've succumbed too. I brought my 35 year old Ambassadeur back from the edge of death do to my neglect and years on the chuck and it cleaned up beauty and works fine now.

Kind of spotty up river here no luck today but connected yesterday. I've actually met a lot of nice folks with a low percentage of assholes out there. Glad I got my head around it.. its a meat fishery, get over it dum ass ;) Real nice to see the product of the mega 2010 run living on I'll never forget seeing that up the coast it was amazing.

Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good2bCanadian
08-20-2018, 08:01 AM
11 sockeye in the freezer.
Going for more still.
Have limited out at my hike in spot 5 times in a row.

twoSevenO
08-20-2018, 02:25 PM

Lol it's funny because that's exactly how it spreads .... most of the guys out there that dont know what they're doing just heard from a guy at work how hot the fishing is so they all go. Some are very I'll informed as well.

While surveying the popular bars on Saturday I even saw some people walking in and casting lures ... a guy there was pretty quick to let them know that would be one giant waste of time.

Good thing theres a mobile tackle store now at Laidlaw .... guy selling everything but cold beers out of the back of his truck.

Opening up a hot dog stand wouldnt be a bad idea .....

walks with deer
08-20-2018, 02:33 PM
ha ha yes i was going to do a jet boat hotdog tackle service lol...

Salty
08-20-2018, 02:48 PM
Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's enough outa you :-P

Lol it's funny because that's exactly how it spreads .... most of the guys out there that dont know what they're doing just heard from a guy at work how hot the fishing is so they all go. Some are very I'll informed as well.

While surveying the popular bars on Saturday I even saw some people walking in and casting lures ... a guy there was pretty quick to let them know that would be one giant waste of time.

Good thing theres a mobile tackle store now at Laidlaw .... guy selling everything but cold beers out of the back of his truck.

Opening up a hot dog stand wouldnt be a bad idea .....

No doubt it brings newbies to fishing, I've seen a lot of new combo rods walking out of Can Tire, Cabellas etc the last couple weeks by folks that I'm sure are brand new to fishing. I haven't seen anyone chucking lures but I seem to be an ace at pulling in lost gear and holy disco balls batman.. lol. Leaders with a half dozen beads, enough wool to make mittens, trailing floats off the hook all kinds of weird stuff Some of the beads are huge, not sure how that's supposed to slide through their yaps?

Hot dog stand, gear and cold beer would be a great business model no doubt.

twoSevenO
08-21-2018, 08:15 PM
my hike in spot 5 times in a row.

You mean herrling island? Lol :D

Gone_Fishin_
08-22-2018, 07:51 AM
Monday was decent, 3 guys and 6 fish landed with 3 lost. Launched at 4:30 and was back by 6:45. Didn't make it out yesterday but heard some areas were slow and others pulling limits in an hour.

Heading out this evening after work.

twoSevenO
08-22-2018, 09:47 AM
That's enough outa you :-P

No doubt it brings newbies to fishing, I've seen a lot of new combo rods walking out of Can Tire, Cabellas etc the last couple weeks by folks that I'm sure are brand new to fishing. I haven't seen anyone chucking lures but I seem to be an ace at pulling in lost gear and holy disco balls batman.. lol. Leaders with a half dozen beads, enough wool to make mittens, trailing floats off the hook all kinds of weird stuff Some of the beads are huge, not sure how that's supposed to slide through their yaps?

Hot dog stand, gear and cold beer would be a great business model no doubt.

In addition to the rod and reel sales it's the sales of new licenses and salmon stamps that are great. Many people dont buy fishing licenses and tags if sockeye aren't open.

ekul246
08-22-2018, 09:55 AM
Was out yesterday after work. In 3hrs one guy caught his limit. Nobody else catching

twoSevenO
08-22-2018, 11:18 AM
I was out yesterday with a couple of friends after work ..... first time snagging in 14 years. Fish gods, forgive me, for I have sinned :'(

Parents helped me paint the fence over the weekend so I got a couple fish for them. That's my excuse. Lol

3 guys - 6 sockeye 1 chinook - 1.5hrs.

Hike-in spot .... above ferry island but not quite as far as laidlaw. Just for reference on where abouts it was hot.

There were 2 other guys there. No yelling no tangling. It was ok. More people showed up as we were cleaning out fish and they were into their limit by the time we were done. They were moving through big time.

So if you're thinking of going today after work I'd target them at laidlaw or flood hope .... if you wanna drive that far. Depends where you live I suppose.

Good luck.

Wentrot
08-22-2018, 12:09 PM
Went yesterday after work again, a bit slower but most still got their limit. Took a couple hours.

Gone_Fishin_
08-23-2018, 08:49 AM
Out last night below island 22. Nada for buddy an I... seen 4 fish pulled in from about 10 boats around us.

Forgot my sturg bait at home.... seen a guy cleaning a fish half km down river. Out of the boat, wade into shore and jogged down river with a cold beer in hand. Offered to clean his fish for guts and a small belly strip in trade for a cold one... got a strange look from him at first lol but got what I needed.

Did a quick drop before last light, I was about to reel in 1 rod and call it a night as the other bent straight down with line screaming. Got a buddy and his daughter into his first sturgeon in over 6 years. Was a riot, nice chunky 7' landed and few quick pics then packed it in.

Out there again today, I see drift nets are open then set nets tomorrow. Will see how it goes... hopefully picks up for the weekend folks.

Cheers,

twoSevenO
08-23-2018, 01:58 PM
You rigging up guts and bellies together? You do the stocking bag or straight onto the hook?

twoSevenO
08-23-2018, 06:11 PM
Guys, what did the commercial opening do? Is tomorrow worth going in hopes of a quick limit out? My old man has the day off and wants to get some in the freezer

ekul246
08-23-2018, 06:25 PM
Went out last night. Caught one. Nobody else catching much. Out again crack of dawn this morning, it was dead and nobody catching. Then suddenly, everybody catching. Limited out. Couple guys landed a spring each. One was about 20lbs. Another one dragged the guy half way down the bar before popping off.

lip_ripper00
08-23-2018, 07:16 PM
Guys, what did the commercial opening do? Is tomorrow worth going in hopes of a quick limit out? My old man has the day off and wants to get some in the freezer

what part of the river are you fishing? We ran the gauntlet going out Tuesday, will pretty much empty the river until tomorrow around mission

twoSevenO
08-23-2018, 08:36 PM
So probably not good for herrling/laidlaw until about Sunday then??

lip_ripper00
08-23-2018, 09:25 PM
That would be my guess, still going to be fish in the river but could be slow

twoSevenO
08-23-2018, 10:35 PM
Thanks!! Indont know if I'll go with him but if I so I'd rather be in and out within an hour ... so probably best to delay it a day and let em come up

Gone_Fishin_
08-24-2018, 08:15 AM
You rigging up guts and bellies together? You do the stocking bag or straight onto the hook?

Guts on one and belly on the other. Guts I run straight on the hook this time of year, usually don't last too long doing this but I find if there is a fish willing to bite it will be quick and hard, no tap tap tap. Just bang fish on.

Belly I rig up like a ooolie, wrap and through a few times then have the hook shank buried in the middle and half hook hanging out near the bottom. I then wrap it in spider wire nice and tight which I find helps it from spinning. I find doing this you don't get the tap tap tap, if a fish touches it the hook will be in there and its game on right away. Have hooked 3 on belly these past few days where it was a small bend then tip in the water and line screaming before you can get the rod out of the holder.

lip_ripper00
08-25-2018, 10:51 AM
There is a ton of fish just entered the river, should be great fishing above mission next week

.300WSMImpact!
08-25-2018, 12:47 PM
busy at the bars today?

Liveforthehunt
08-25-2018, 01:02 PM
A zoo but when you are in a jet you can get away from the masses. Limited out in 2 hours 4 of us in the boat .

.300WSMImpact!
08-25-2018, 01:56 PM
A zoo but when you are in a jet you can get away from the masses. Limited out in 2 hours 4 of us in the boat .

even in the rain?

Liveforthehunt
08-25-2018, 02:16 PM
even in the rain?

Yes lol a lot of jelly hansen's out there in array of colors

silvertipp
08-25-2018, 02:36 PM
Well I'm sitting on a bar I Chilliwack rite now and nobody is hooking into anything
real slow for now

twoSevenO
08-25-2018, 03:42 PM
Well I'm sitting on a bar I Chilliwack rite now and nobody is hooking into anything
real slow for now

I was between chilliwack and laidlaw his morning. Done in 45 min. 2 sockeye and 1 chinook jack. Everyone was limiting out. Lots of fish.

Liveforthehunt
08-25-2018, 04:35 PM
real slow for now

Your doing something wrong

silvertipp
08-25-2018, 06:11 PM
Ha ha ok I guess there was about a hundred guys all doing something wrong
been doing this long enough to no when it's very slow
took along time to catch fish
lots of people where going home empty handed

twoSevenO
08-25-2018, 06:50 PM
Ha ha ok I guess there was about a hundred guys all doing something wrong
been doing this long enough to no when it's very slow
took along time to catch fish
lots of people where going home empty handed

Maybe the FN guys strung some big ass nets just downstream from your spot?

silvertipp
08-25-2018, 06:55 PM
Very possible all I can say is I've been fishing the river for years
and do know what I am doing
I've had lots of success on the river
I travel with quit a few guides who also no what they are doing and it was slow
the worst thing about it I had one guy in the boat that was annoying as hell
so slow fishing,raining and an idiot was a long day

ElectricDyck
08-26-2018, 09:03 AM
Anybody hear anything about how long Sockeye will stay open? Ive heard sept 3rd closure..

08-26-2018, 09:32 AM
For the upper non tidal it looks like Sept 3rd at present.
for the Salt Chuckers in Zones that are open Sept 30 th at present.
DFO can close it at any time. So have some fun at the best eating Salmon of them all.
Careful of the Zones through Area 29....... It can be confusing so do your homework.

ElectricDyck
08-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Thanks was curious...

Iron Glove
08-26-2018, 01:26 PM
There's a post in the Hope Bulletin Board ( Facebook ) today detailing an incident involving First Nations and fishermen on a Hewes Craft on the Fraser near Union Bar. Can't seem to get it to post here but basically alleged that the fishermen hurled racist insults at the FN's on shore and exposed themselves amongst other things. There were young FN children on shore. Allegedly the fishermen were drunk too.
Pictures and videos have been forwarded to the RCMP by the folks on shore.
If it all is as alleged, hope these idiots get nailed big time.

Liveforthehunt
08-26-2018, 02:13 PM
Was out today up the Thompson and was very surprised at how shiny the fish still were that far up stream still silver and beautiful

browningboy
08-26-2018, 03:52 PM
There's a post in the Hope Bulletin Board ( Facebook ) today detailing an incident involving First Nations and fishermen on a Hewes Craft on the Fraser near Union Bar. Can't seem to get it to post here but basically alleged that the fishermen hurled racist insults at the FN's on shore and exposed themselves amongst other things. There were young FN children on shore. Allegedly the fishermen were drunk too.
Pictures and videos have been forwarded to the RCMP by the folks on shore.
If it all is as alleged, hope these idiots get nailed big time.

Thats what what our government is promoting! Two tiers...

britman101
08-26-2018, 05:00 PM
Read the post on the Hope Bulletin board. These slobs aren't sports fisherman, they are a bloody disgrace. Openly drinking while driving a power craft and then urinating in the river in front of women and children and exposing themselves too, and of course hurling racist insults. People argued long and hard to have the fishery reopened and for crap like this. Shut it down and be done with yahoos like this speeding up and down the river, while calling themselves sport fisherman.

silvertipp
08-26-2018, 05:12 PM
You find these kind of people just about everywhere now a days
shutting down the fishing will only hurt the real outdoorsman
and do nothing to people who act out like this

twoSevenO
08-26-2018, 05:20 PM
You find these kind of people just about everywhere now a days
shutting down the fishing will only hurt the real outdoorsman
and do nothing to people who act out like this

X2 .... sounds like a typical weekend drunk fest.

ElectricDyck
08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Was busy today! But productive, i heard there were a few assholes cutting peoples lines earlier in the day but by the time myself and family got there it was very cordial and all smiles and laughter, good day out!

Iron Glove
08-26-2018, 08:10 PM
Thats what what our government is promoting! Two tiers...

So you're OK with a couple of drunks waving their genitals at women and kids and making lewd requests to them?
And blame it all on the Gov't?
OK. :roll:

Hublocker
08-27-2018, 03:21 PM
Read the post on the Hope Bulletin board. These slobs aren't sports fisherman, they are a bloody disgrace. Openly drinking while driving a power craft and then urinating in the river in front of women and children and exposing themselves too, and of course hurling racist insults. People argued long and hard to have the fishery reopened and for crap like this. Shut it down and be done with yahoos like this speeding up and down the river, while calling themselves sport fisherman.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/Hublocker/40143796_704373049915535_6965331090227593216_n_zps lqdkekrm.jpg

abbyfireguy
08-27-2018, 04:28 PM
If these dicks(sorry for the bad pun) are exposing themselves, that can lead to criminal charges.
Being drunk is no excuse for committing these types of crimes...
Mind you a well placed steelie from a slingshot might convince the slobs to keep their junk in their pants...

ekul246
08-27-2018, 07:11 PM
Total subject change:

How does the rules about kids own quota apply?
Do they have to actually reel the fish in? Have a hand on the rod? Would like to get them in on it as well as increase the overall take home. They are 7, 5 and 3 so they definitely can't handle the 10'6" rod and a 8-10lb salmon alone.

BimmerBob
08-27-2018, 07:16 PM
Total subject change:

Do they have to actually reel the fish in? Have a hand on the rod? Would like to get them in on it as well as increase the overall take home. They are 7, 5 and 3 so they definitely can't handle the 10'6" rod and a 8-10lb salmon alone.

As far as I know kids without a fishing license do not have a quota, it goes on your license.

Liveforthehunt
08-27-2018, 07:16 PM
Total subject change:

Its no different than hunting they have to legally do it on there own ... that's like saying my kid can touch my gun in youth season while I pull the trigger and punch his "youth" tag.

ekul246
08-27-2018, 07:28 PM
As far as I know kids without a fishing license do not have a quota, it goes on your license.

From the Freshwater Fishing Regulations:

IF YOU ARE UNDER 16 AND A RESIDENT OFB.C.:: You may sport fish without any licence orstamp (but must abide by the regulations). You do not need to be accompanied by alicence holder. You are entitled to your own quota of fish.

So if I am out with my 7yr old and she needs a bit of help (one of my hands on the rod or adjusting drag or whatever) she can keep two herself.

That being said, can I hook the fish then hand the rod off to her to fight? Am I splitting hairs?

IslandWanderer
08-27-2018, 07:47 PM

Kids get their own quota if they have a salmon sticker.

...and the free licence of course.

ekul246
08-27-2018, 08:01 PM
Kids get their own quota if they have a salmon sticker.

...and the free licence of course.

As stated above, under 16 does not need a license or stamp.

twoSevenO
08-27-2018, 08:22 PM

Really? No wonder I've seen so many people hauling infants out there lol

lip_ripper00
08-27-2018, 08:52 PM
Hook the fish, hand off to the youngster and watch the smile on the face! Another fisher is hooked for life.

twoSevenO
08-27-2018, 08:56 PM
Hook the fish, hand off to the youngster and watch the smile on the face! Another fisher is hooked for life.

Meh ... I dont think I'd want my youngsters thinking that is fishing. I'd probably introduce them once they're old enough to understand its "going out to get some cheap meat" and not "going fishing"

IslandWanderer
08-27-2018, 09:20 PM

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/first-premiere-eng.html

Edit: I stand corrected.

lip_ripper00
08-27-2018, 10:11 PM
Meh ... I dont think I'd want my youngsters thinking that is fishing. I'd probably introduce them once they're old enough to understand its "going out to get some cheap meat" and not "going fishing"

to each there own, but remember super dad..... opportunities are being taken away at an alarming rate. Fishing pike minnow’s out of a ditch in Abbotsford ain’t the same.....

BimmerBob
08-27-2018, 11:16 PM
From the Freshwater Fishing Regulations:

IF YOU ARE UNDER 16 AND A RESIDENT OFB.C.:: You may sport fish without any licence orstamp (but must abide by the regulations). You do not need to be accompanied by alicence holder. You are entitled to your own quota of fish.

So if I am out with my 7yr old and she needs a bit of help (one of my hands on the rod or adjusting drag or whatever) she can keep two herself.

That being said, can I hook the fish then hand the rod off to her to fight? Am I splitting hairs?

Just to be clear, that is true in non-tidal waters but it is not true for tidal waters and while the license is free it also requires a salmon stamp which may cost (they are not entirely clear on that in the regulations).

So... just where are you planning on fishing as it matters.

Cheers, Bob

ekul246
09-02-2018, 08:10 AM
So how is the fishing this weekend? Friday evening was super slow.

ElectricDyck
09-02-2018, 03:10 PM
Slow today..with small bursts of excitement;)

09-03-2018, 02:27 PM
Its been an excellent season year for Salmon and a great run for the sox.
Weve had several days of numerous limits off the south and north arms of the Fraser. Still tons and huge schools on the sounders.
Looking forward to return in 2022 if our Governments dont give it all to the FN bevore then .
Get out there and enjoy the last kick at er.

ElectricDyck
09-03-2018, 06:24 PM
Yep was a great opportunity to enjoy some productive fishing, eat some fresh on the bbq and have a little extea to can and smoke.

Never fished the fraser river flossinfg fishery before and heard a lot of talk of fights and assholes but never once did i experience it in fact it was the opposite..I heard of some fights but never saw them. Surprising when your fishing 8 feet from someone whos casting a 20 ft leader lol

The bars were messy and everytime i went i cleaned all the line and garbage in the 20 x 20 spot i put my gear down in..some guys took garbage bags of line home and i even saw a guy with a rake cleaning up line in the water...if a few more people did this it could make a huge difference!

wideopenthrottle
09-04-2018, 06:38 AM
So how is the fishing this weekend? Friday evening was super slow.

we got out Friday...lines wet by 7:30, limited out by 11:30....lots of boats...no wind till mid day..tried for some springs after limiting on sockeye but only got 3 dogfish in an hour so we packed it when the wind started to stiffen

ekul246
09-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Went out Sunday afternoon with two oldest kids. Took one home. Was very slow. Went out at crack of dawn yesterday and limited out. Caught 2 within half hour of each other.

russm
09-04-2018, 01:00 PM
Yep was a great opportunity to enjoy some productive fishing, eat some fresh on the bbq and have a little extea to can and smoke.

Never fished the fraser river flossinfg fishery before and heard a lot of talk of fights and assholes but never once did i experience it in fact it was the opposite..I heard of some fights but never saw them. Surprising when your fishing 8 feet from someone whos casting a 20 ft leader lol

The bars were messy and everytime i went i cleaned all the line and garbage in the 20 x 20 spot i put my gear down in..some guys took garbage bags of line home and i even saw a guy with a rake cleaning up line in the water...if a few more people did this it could make a huge difference!

Unfortunately there’s more people who don’t than people that do, getting snagged up in a couple hundred feet of braid that’s hidden underwater is always nice.

ElectricDyck
09-04-2018, 01:55 PM
We were talking and if a guy went there after season with some big trebles and 200lb braid he could probably come back with a bucket of gear and clean it up a bit..
I usually came home with more gear than i lost just by doing some quick cleanin..

eatram
09-04-2018, 02:04 PM
we were talking and if a guy went there after season with some big trebles and 200lb braid he could probably come back with a bucket of gear and clean it up a bit..
I usually came home with more gear than i lost just by doing some quick cleanin..

shhhhhhh!!!!!!!!