View Full Version : Elk are rutting

kootenayelkslayer
09-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Took some video of this bull almost a week ago. He came in to the calling real fast and close. I found lots of wallows and rubs in the valley that I was in. I think it's safe to say that the elk are starting to rut now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up9zFrQOhw0

Fisher-Dude
09-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Now how am I gonna get any sleep tonight? :D

That lil guy is definitely on the prowl. Great dog ya have there...well behaved.

You can sure see that bull's nose start to work just before he busts ya. Great video!

Browningmirage
09-01-2007, 08:26 PM
very well behaved
nice vid dude...have to try for some young bull moose here

bc sportsman
09-01-2007, 08:40 PM
I have never heard someone using that type of grunting before for elk. It almost sounds like a buck grunt but more drawn out.

Can someone fill me in on this?

ianwuzhere
09-01-2007, 08:43 PM
yup great dog, and nice cam shots- thanx for posting!!

Hilgy
09-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Cool vid. I've never heard that type of calling either, but it seems to work.

alremkin
09-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Godd video. That elk had a funny rack, it almost lookd like it was broken at the same place on each side. The video shows how had it is to get a good look at an elk rack in the bush good job. From his front tines one would think him a legal 6 point, until we a good side view.

Good to know the rut has started in southern lattitudes. You didn't say, but was the video shot in the Kootenays?

Frango
09-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Elk make many kinds of sounds.I have heard them grunt ,roar and the normal bugle.To be succesfull at elk hunting one must be a student of habit and sound.Each elk encounter is a learning curve.It all depends on the circumstance,you may need a cow call or a big bull call to bring them in..I have had numerous bulls come in and then bugger off because I made a mistake.I have also called in many small bulls(That old learning curve again )and it never gets dull..I have brought home many moose but the elk I bring home are special.

Mik
09-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Great footage, thanks. I too have never heard this call before.Very Interesting.

gameslayer
09-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Great video my 3 kids loved the grunting.

Rock Doctor
09-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Good Video, and nice pup.
Thanks for sharing.

newhunterette
09-01-2007, 09:39 PM
so cool - perhaps ur dog can teach my dog to HUSH - thanks so much for sharing

kootenayelkslayer
09-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Haha sorry guys, I wish I could tell you that I've mastered a new elk calling technique, but that 'grunting' you hear is just the auto-focus on my digital camera. This bull came in to the good ol' technique of using a bunch of different cow calls and then throwing in a really immature sounding bugle. Works like a charm.

recurvehunter
09-02-2007, 03:22 PM
thats funny
I could see primos coming out with a new elk sound

RiverOtter
09-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Haha sorry guys, I wish I could tell you that I've mastered a new elk calling technique, but that 'grunting' you hear is just the auto-focus on my digital camera. This bull came in to the good ol' technique of using a bunch of different cow calls and then throwing in a really immature sounding bugle. Works like a charm.

I watched the vid a couple times trying to figure out what that sound was. My camcorder doesn't do that, is it just audible on the tape, or can you hear it while recording too.

RO

elkster
09-03-2007, 08:39 PM
I wondered why every time you heard the sound, the picture blurred. I'm sure there were guys trying to imitate that sound. Great vid.

ohotnik
09-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Great video. Thanks for sharing.