PDA

View Full Version : Opening up lead split-shot sinkers

dak0ta
08-04-2018, 10:21 PM
Anybody got some tips on how to open up lead split-shot sinkers that don't have the fins on the back that reopen them? Otherwise might just melt them down or load them into a shotgun shell lol.

RyoTHC
08-04-2018, 11:05 PM
I think the whole reason those ones are cheaper is because they are one time use.

S.W.A.T.
08-05-2018, 07:14 AM
You can spend some time with a flat head screwdriver prying them apart but they never look or work the same imo

dak0ta
08-05-2018, 07:40 AM
Oh ok, hm seems like such a waste of lead when they could have just added fins for reuse.

IslandWanderer
08-05-2018, 07:41 AM
Buy non-lead with fins and never look back.

RyoTHC
08-05-2018, 07:48 AM
Buy non-lead with fins and never look back.

Agreed. Way easier to use and better for all involved.

IslandWanderer
08-05-2018, 07:50 AM
Agreed. Way easier to use and better for all involved.

I like the non-lead because I fish with my young son. I figure the less lead exposure the better.

boxhitch
08-05-2018, 07:54 AM
Serious?! just how toxic do you think lead is ?

Easy to reuse splits. open them up with pliers and pushing something like a hook shank into the split to wedge them open.
Or buy a set of fishermans pliers, good for weights, split ring , cutting lines, etc etc etc

IslandWanderer
08-05-2018, 08:04 AM
Serious?! just how toxic do you think lead is ?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/lead-poisoning/symptoms-causes/syc-20354717

Ed George
08-05-2018, 09:49 AM
They work real well as ammunition for a slingshot.

hoochie
08-05-2018, 10:12 AM
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/lead-poisoning/symptoms-causes/syc-20354717

I knew a guy who told me that a friend of his was talking to a friend of theirs, and said someone they knew shook hands with someone who had touched a lead wheel weight; he was hospitalized for 14 days and had his hand amputated cause the lead poisoning was so severe.

IslandWanderer
08-05-2018, 10:58 AM
I knew a guy who told me that a friend of his was talking to a friend of theirs, and said someone they knew shook hands with someone who had touched a lead wheel weight; he was hospitalized for 14 days and had his hand amputated cause the lead poisoning was so severe.

Yeah, leads not toxic. How macho!

S.W.A.T.
08-05-2018, 11:22 AM

Not sure it's that bad or would be considered a dangerous goods. When melting it should be outside

ryanonthevedder
08-05-2018, 01:13 PM

Its not polonium guys. I don’t recommend eating it but it’s safe to handle. The best way to open them is to give it a little side squeeze with some pliers; they open right up.

Sunzuki
08-17-2018, 10:47 AM

Good thing he didn't have a whizz or he would of likely lost his wee buddy too?

BRvalley
08-17-2018, 12:04 PM
the fins cause line twist in current, but depends what/how you're fishing if that's a big deal or not

I re-use my round split all the time, just insert knife point and twist

Wrj
08-17-2018, 01:50 PM
So hold on, the best way to open and crimp split-shot isn't with my teeth??? I've been doing this wrong all along!

j270wsm
08-17-2018, 05:58 PM
Lol......I was thinking the same thing Wjr. When I was a kid that's exactly how I did it........Might explain a few things.

Treed
08-17-2018, 07:03 PM
Hmmm. I still use my teeth. Explains a lot about my kids being smarter than me.

twoSevenO
08-17-2018, 08:43 PM
A thin blade knife, such as a swiss army knife, has worked well for me. Not always, but most of the time I can work it down into the original groove and work it loose. Not safe as you're often holding it with wet hands.

I've never liked the ones with fins much myself .... the fins make them spin funny in the water.

sparkes3
08-17-2018, 11:21 PM
Small folding keychain knife open blade set lead on blade track and line groove up with blade and slowly close.
Works if that’s all you have.