PDA

View Full Version : August moose

champs
08-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Hello fellow hunters. I am planning a northern bc trip for the August 15 opening for my son and I. I am wondering how hunting moose at this time is different than typical fall hunting? I know of the issues of keeping meat cool if successful but what about the actual hunting? How is it different? What other aspects need I consider going in August compared to September and October?

Darksith
08-03-2018, 09:38 AM
August can be tough, but be there early, all the stupid moose don't last long.

Takla
08-03-2018, 10:22 AM
Bring lots of bug spray and a cooler/gen set.My dad used to pick off the odd early moose in Aug up off the Alaska hyw around FT. Nelson ,most memorable one was a bruiser he shot next to a dug-out ,that bull decided to die in the water,was one hell of a job getting out due to his size,he dressed
over 850 lbs!

ElectricDyck
08-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Check the regs too..a lot of places have shortened the seasons and dont open till the 23rd due to first nations concerns on harvest even though science says theres good populations..

Blainer
08-03-2018, 11:54 AM
I’ve shot a few August moose
I’ve experienced extreme heat, 30+, wasps, mosquitoes, bugs in general
I’ve also seen rain where the mud/gumbo is so bad that truck slides at a stand still.
As indicated, meat biggest concern, pre plan with butcher or have arrangements in place.
I sleep twice a day, after early hunt sleep, we don’t go out again until after 4 or 5, long days, late supper and another nap and up early.
Some years better than others, but I recall 1 year that between friends and locals in small community, 13 bulls hit the ground on opening day.
i have never seen such since
Good luck

2chodi
08-03-2018, 12:20 PM
Early morning and later evening are the best times - get out early and stay late within legal hours. Leaves make it a lot tougher to see. If it's hot, check out watering spots or licks if you can find them.

Downwindtracker2
08-03-2018, 02:16 PM
There is a lot of "shot him at first light opening day" I've seen racks on trailers at 10 in the morning outside of Clinton on opening day. The nearest area open was Pine Pass. Figure that one out.

What you are looking for is the stupid 2 year old that watched traffic with his mom last year and all spring. The older ones are careful.

PressurePoint
08-03-2018, 02:36 PM
It’s 100% weather based. If it’s really hot, nothing will move till after dark. If it’s cool and raining, they are always out and about. One year it was snow/rain and bulls everywhere. The next year, it was almost 25 degrees and sunny and we didn’t see much till almost dark.

srupp
08-04-2018, 10:01 AM
Hmmm early..water..food..wind..hot..bed under cover..or up high ..wind for bug control although they font get tocouple days Hmmm same degree as caribou.
First in Am..EARLY watch clearings, willow water, fields food.after 10..its mo longer spot and stalk..its into the shade, cover. .bedding areas..into the wind..s l o w l y...pussy foot slowly..use optics tear each piece of the area apart visually...a few STEPS...do it again..
Evening..start your spot and stalk again.
Citric acid 50 grams..per 1/2water bottle.. or 70 % vinigar..30 % water..lowers ph..keeps the meat salvagable a couple days longer.
Cheers
Steven

Norwestalta
08-04-2018, 11:58 AM
All of the above. I find earlier the harder it is. I prefer to do most of my hunting once the leaves are off the trees

Ferenc
08-04-2018, 02:00 PM
As said the wasps !!! Try to harvest one later in the day any local meat cutter will fill up fast as most locals already have theirs picked out ... if your going the meat cutter route up there .. get your ducks in a row and touch bases with one of them .... good game bags ... let it cool during the night ... it’s a lot of work when it’s hot ...the hanging part also .... one trick is to lay you skinned out quarters on your quad ramp .. cross wise on your utility trailer ... if you can’t find a place to hang it ... hide off ASAP ...good luck with the hunt !!

boxhitch
08-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Not much movement by bulls so early in the season, nothing motivating them.
They just lay around protecting their soft antlers
Often they are just spending time up high in the buckbrush wishing for a breeze to keep the flies down.

But like all ruminants they have to move around from time to time to keep the gut working properly.
So watch a valley or swamp long enough and you may see one appear, stand, piss, turn, and lay back down again, disappearing.

HappyJack
08-04-2018, 07:56 PM
It’s 100% weather based. If it’s really hot, nothing will move till after dark. If it’s cool and raining, they are always out and about. One year it was snow/rain and bulls everywhere. The next year, it was almost 25 degrees and sunny and we didn’t see much till almost dark.

Been hunting august moose since the mid 80s, the moose will go out into cuts at night [usually too dark to shoot] and feed, then they will quite often bed down. Get to a vantage point early in the mornings and just glass a big cut and you will see them rise and browse a bit before they head for the timber. We will sit on a block from sun up till around 11 o'clock in the mornings. If it's hot look for good water sources near north facing slopes especially. Calling does't help but patience does.

champs
08-04-2018, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the great tips everybody! Appreciated!

08-05-2018, 08:03 AM
How does an August pre-rut bull taste compared to one taken later in the fall?

Takla
08-05-2018, 11:01 AM
How does an August pre-rut bull taste compared to one taken later in the fall?

Delicious 325..we have taken lots in the Hudson hope area in late aug with zero wild taste

Blainer
08-05-2018, 11:15 AM
How does an August pre-rut bull taste compared to one taken later in the fall?Better in my mind
If handled quickly and properly, early moose is fantastic table fare