PDA

View Full Version : Leaving your ATV while you hike in

RackStar
08-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Hey guys,

just curious what you guys do when leaving your quad and hiking off for 2+ days. In the bush or at base camp. Any security options that are in expensive? I always have a lingering thought in my mind that it’s going to get ripped off. Any reccomendations? Or just hide it good and hope for the best.

Curious as to what others are doing, would be nice to hear.

Thanks again

srupp
08-01-2018, 11:13 AM
Hmm I stash the quad and use one of those bulldog uncutable locks grade 8..around a tree through the tires rims, hoping that potential thiefs are not packing a chain saw , ax..and the chain through the rims..cant roll or drive it..best I can think of..
Steven

RackStar
08-01-2018, 11:21 AM
That’s a good one thanks!

It’s sad we have to think this way, as I could never even come up with the thought of doing that to somebody. Must take a pretty pathetic individual. Thank you to all who raise they’re kids proper.

BRvalley
08-01-2018, 11:35 AM
if you have drilled rotors small pad lock on the rotors...chain the quad up...pull fuses....pull valve stems and keep them in your pack (assuming you have a compressor in your kit)

when I park my truck in the bush for any amount of time, even a short hike checking cams, I pull the fuse for fuel system...anything to make it harder for the thieves

dakoda62
08-01-2018, 11:35 AM
I hide mine off the trail if possible. Never had any issues.

ACE
08-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Off trail, camo type quad cover, friend pulls a front and rear wheel off the same side and hides them. Have quality locks, etc. on mine. Good suggestions here.
Watched a vandal at my quad .... he bit the seat and the hand grip. He wore a heavy fur coat.

dino
08-01-2018, 11:57 AM
Just having plain old insurance is piece of mind for me. Now if the machines are not worth the cost of insurance. Find a place to hide it and chain it up. I also have a camo cover that hides it well.machines are also cheap car alarmed.

RackStar
08-01-2018, 12:52 PM
Great suggestions

thanks guys appreciate it!!

silvertipp
08-01-2018, 12:59 PM
A simple hidden toggle switch works well
and certainly don't leave it sitting for all to see

Gone_Fishin_
08-01-2018, 01:15 PM
I pull my Fuel pump and Starter fuse on my Jeep when I park it on gravel roads. I have an alarm and immobilizer but still pull these 2 fuses. Very doubtful anyone trying to rip it off has extra fuses on them or knows where to look.

Not sure if possible on an ATV but no starter, no fuel, no go....

REMINGTON JIM
08-01-2018, 01:23 PM
Off trail, camo type quad cover, friend pulls a front and rear wheel off the same side and hides them. Have quality locks, etc. on mine. Good suggestions here.
Watched a vandal at my quad .... he bit the seat and the hand grip. He wore a heavy fur coat.

Did he DIE shortly after that Greg ? ;-) RJ

ACE
08-01-2018, 01:37 PM
No Jim, he smelled moose blood .... still have the hand grip.
He went on his way ..... probably vandalizing as he went. :cool:

Some really good suggestions here ....

RackStar
08-01-2018, 01:49 PM
Great idea too on older bush rigs to remove fuses. Smart smart.
Hopefuly this thread helps others too.

Thanks guys

Big Lew
08-01-2018, 01:49 PM
I've seen quads parked in the open, in amongst the trees, including with camo covers, and I even
saw one parked right in the middle of the old road along the east side of the Fraser and downstream
from the Alexander bridge. None had been vandalized. The one in the middle of the road was stone
cold. I was able to get around it and when I came back several hours later it was still there...seemed
strange enough to me that I reported it to the Hope RCMP in case someone was missing. Never heard
anything so I assume it had broken down and the rider went for help.

xcaribooer
08-01-2018, 02:19 PM
all of the above plus I have actually thought about getting a sign or decal made up that says " if you are reading this sign right now keep in mind that I may be watching you thru the scope on my 30-06..."

scotty30-06
08-01-2018, 02:28 PM
Sign saying the truck is being recorded...and pull fuses...the one that worries me is drilling the tank for fuel....not sure how you stop that one...but the sign saying your being recorded and actually have a well hidden trailcam watching it.

srupp
08-01-2018, 02:55 PM
Thanks some great ideas..
Steven

S.W.A.T.
08-01-2018, 02:55 PM
I'm more worried about vandalism then theft. Would suck to have the ride taken but even worse to get back and its messed up beyond driving because they couldn't steal it.

I just leave mine off the side with effort in hiding

steel_ram
08-01-2018, 03:20 PM
Booby trap the thing. Worth the loss knowing some scum bag got vaporized setting an example for his buddies.

Husky7mm
08-01-2018, 05:41 PM
Have insurenance and stash in woods away from view. Bigger chance of a bear eating the seat than theft. Theives are lazy, out of site out of mind. Put your seat up a tree a bear WILL eventually eat it.

RackStar
08-01-2018, 05:47 PM
How does theft insurance work on ATV? Can it be tied into your ICBC papers or is this a private sort of thing?

todbartell
08-01-2018, 07:01 PM
I have a 1991 Suzuki ATV. I could leave the key in it and nobody would touch it :mrgreen:

finngun
08-01-2018, 07:35 PM
I've seen quads parked in the open, in amongst the trees, including with camo covers, and I even
saw one parked right in the middle of the old road along the east side of the Fraser and downstream
from the Alexander bridge. None had been vandalized. The one in the middle of the road was stone
cold. I was able to get around it and when I came back several hours later it was still there...seemed
strange enough to me that I reported it to the Hope RCMP in case someone was missing. Never heard
anything so I assume it had broken down and the rider went for help.

that could be bite atv too...can you get locator chip for atv too pretty cheap i guess??

walks with deer
08-01-2018, 07:38 PM
op where your headed you sent me maps...anybody there can afford there own atv..in that location i would leave key in ignition not kidding..ps i may need to double with you not kidding.
i can talk to the band for you aswell great men...all team.

scottwh
08-01-2018, 07:39 PM
I usually just run a cable lock through the rim and suspension, park it out of sight and head hunting! Some fantastic ideas mentioned though.

walks with deer
08-01-2018, 07:39 PM
not a doubt in my mind

walks with deer
08-01-2018, 07:41 PM
ps please do not post location or target game i helped in trust see you there.

RackStar
08-01-2018, 08:39 PM
ps please do not post location or target game i helped in trust see you there.

Where? What game?
I’m heading From PG to Sylvester rd In mission to chase rabbit and catch monster rainbows

tipper
08-01-2018, 10:15 PM
I leave my sxs stashed in the bush all summer, only thing I'm concerned about is rats or bears eating something.

Liveforthehunt
08-01-2018, 10:43 PM
Yes have hunted the area many of years ... very friendly in that area of you are generous with the brains and nose etc. They have a cooler at the end of the road couldn't be a better spot ... please don't bring the army though would he my first year being skunked in 20+ years

browningboy
08-01-2018, 10:45 PM
Never had an issue but doesn’t mean I won’t, in any case where we stop is usually pretty remote so never see a soul

Goose
08-02-2018, 01:09 AM
If it has a winch, winch it around a tree right up to the bumper, then as suggested above, pull fuses, use a chain or lock. Another idea is have a remote battery switch (unless it has a pull cable), or a remote shut off valve for fuel (works for trucks as well)
Cheers

walks with deer
08-02-2018, 06:42 AM
nothing wrong with a good hunt up sylvester...hucklberrys cutthroat trout backtails and black bears..once you pass the gravel pit any of the deacitvated roads should be fine....once you hike the timber behind the slash its all good..
you can hit alpine in a few spots if you want to hike and although you cant hunt them many goats...half the blacktails i ever ate came from thete...its only the last whil dirr bags dumped garbage there.

bigredchev
08-02-2018, 07:01 AM
My friend rides an artic cat, shouldnt that be enough deterrent?

hawk-i
08-02-2018, 07:07 AM
Put an electric fence around it for the bears they like chewing on the seat.

RackStar
08-02-2018, 07:10 AM

Wheres the like button on here.

Lol

and mission is fun as hell. Next valley over, excellent blacktails less people. Fun fishing the rivers.

Theres one hill im dying to hike still in that area...

Walksalot
08-02-2018, 07:32 AM
I try to leave my quad in a place where it is not highly visible. I also gps it as I am getting older and have drank a lot of beer from aluminum cans. Realistically, if someone wants your rig a cordless angle grinder will make short work of lock or cable.

Bernie O
08-02-2018, 07:43 AM
I am generally hunting too far back to worry about scumbags. I leave it out in the open, That way they wont know how close I am. Have some faith in your fellow hunters, We have been helping each other for years.

RackStar
08-02-2018, 08:00 AM
It’s not the hunters We have to be concerned about......

Hublocker
08-02-2018, 10:05 AM
With the greatest respect to those of you who do really park and hike, I have to say you must hide your quads really good because in 50 years of hunting I have never seen a parked one yet.

RadHimself
08-02-2018, 12:06 PM
Id be more worried about bears then people finding them... nothing worse then coming back, loaded packs.... to find your easy leg of the journey ripped apart...

Bernie O
08-02-2018, 04:18 PM
Quads have not been around for 50 years but I generally park just of the road at the edge of a cutblock.

kevan
08-02-2018, 08:49 PM

Best quad I ever had...

walks with deer
08-02-2018, 09:45 PM
if you need my bike or a freinds buy all means take it..but ask the dirt bag thst pried open the back window of my truck ehst your treated like if unethical.
had too count the 9 peices in my yard all have keys in ignition...
if ypu have to take it....if your a dirt bag and i catch you i will biy 1quarter less concrete that month...
never have worried about bike my whole life...furthest thing from my mind when strapping pack on...
honest intention typicslly equals honest results...and when they dont aggresion alpha male attitude pervails..99percent

walks with deer
08-02-2018, 09:46 PM
dam phone zpeĺling

tigrr
08-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Invest in a covered trailer. Leave a bullet on the lock and one on the dash. Never had a problem.
Put a piece of pond rubber mat zip tied over your seat and 1 it makes it cooler to jump on in full sun and dry when you flip it over after a rain storm.
The bear will tear it up and not the seat.