PDA

View Full Version : Kuiu review

butcher
07-31-2018, 10:05 PM
Just received my $4000 order. Came in good time. Nothing back ordered.

However the two very expensive tents I purchased came without poles. I will be having a frank discussion with the good folks at Kuiu tomorrow and heading to the mountains with a different brand of tent on Friday.

twoSevenO
07-31-2018, 10:40 PM
Sheesh ... mr. Money bags over here.

Aside from their tents leaking they seem to have a pretty solid reputation for gear quality. Im sure theyll take good care of ya.

butcher
07-31-2018, 11:36 PM
Haha well I’m sure they will. In the meantime I’ll go and carve some poles from an alder.

Carbonmatrix
08-01-2018, 03:44 AM
I hope you receive a “happy ending” from Jason Hairston himself for the $4k!

Astepanuk
08-01-2018, 06:16 AM
I really enjoy the Fit of my Kuiu Gear I think one of my favorite things are probably my Gators. I have a full set up of the Guide gear and have the Super down jacket for glassing and colder weather. Sucks to hear about your Tent I would be pretty choked I can give you the Canadian Reps phone number if you would like Butcher!!

butcher
08-01-2018, 07:10 AM
Tell you what, if they don’t come through, I’ll take that number. I’ve never had any issues with them before and customer service is outstanding. Maybe the guy packing up poles into bags was having a bad day. (That’s right, the empty pole bags are in there)

300rum700
08-01-2018, 07:20 AM
What tents are they?

butcher
08-01-2018, 07:40 AM
Mountain star two man

hoochie
08-01-2018, 03:22 PM
can someone spell it out so I can say the name right?

ki yew ee?

koo I eww?

why not have a name people can at least pronounce lol

RackStar
08-01-2018, 03:57 PM
Seems like their customer service has sure improved.
They lost a customer here.
I do enjoy my rain gear... although I’m going back to HH IMPERTECH bib rain pants paired with my chugach jacket

Rhyno
08-01-2018, 04:12 PM

ki yew ee?

koo I eww?

Q you

Good luck

Astepanuk
08-01-2018, 04:26 PM

ki yew ee?

koo I eww?

“kU” “U”

should work.

SR80
08-02-2018, 06:31 AM
First leaky tents, and now tents without poles...whats next? Maybe they should stick to making clothing.

Rackmastr
08-02-2018, 06:33 AM
First leaky tents, and now tents without poles...whats next? Maybe they should stick to making clothing.

Hahaha my thoughts exactly.....

Springer
08-02-2018, 07:55 AM
I have never heard of a Leaky KUIU Tent. Geoff i know Dallas the KUIU rep very well, he actually lives in Red Deer. Ya if you need to talk i can you guys up to. He will call you back immediately.He tries his best to make sure everyone is treated well and in a timely manner.
I like KUIU worn it for years but their getting ridiculous expensive ....

srupp
08-02-2018, 08:07 AM
Hmmm and here I thought Fierce rifles were expensive..Geoff dont sit by sparks by the fire, no sliding on the scree, no tunnelling through the alder..ensure your tenting partner trims his nails..im sure it will serve your needs well.Good luck on your trophy penguin hunt..hope you finallyget that Booner non typical.
Cheers BE SAFE.
Steven

Rackmastr
08-02-2018, 08:14 AM
I have never heard of a Leaky KUIU Tent. .

When they first made them about 50% of the ones shipped out were shipped without any seam sealing and leaked horribly. A lot of ppl coined the term "KUIU Mountain Sieve" and it was very public.

Similar to their first and second generation packs, etc. They've had a horrible track record of 'new' items.

That said, Dallas is a great dude and from what I've seen has been working hard as heck to help out Cdn buyers.

twoSevenO
08-02-2018, 09:34 AM

LOL .... Its like the ford 6.0 ... you hear of issues all over yet people still continued to buy them :/

Awesome clothes too .... just too damn expensive. I cant pay $400 for a jacket to roll around in the dirt in.

I still use my Arcteryx soft shell as my hunting jacket. Its been retired from street wear for some time now but once that falls apart I'll have to get something decent in camo

Avalanche123
08-02-2018, 12:21 PM
LOL ...
I still use my Arcteryx soft shell as my hunting jacket. Its been retired from street wear for some time now but once that falls apart I'll have to get something decent in camo

X 2. Except I don't see the need for camo so Arcteryx is still my go too clothing for everything.

butcher
08-02-2018, 12:32 PM
I’ve been wearing the gear for several years and few complaints. It fits me really well and the customer service has been great.

I talked to the service rep in the states and did not come away with a great feeling. I’ll follow up today and then start getting serious if I’m not satisfied.

Joegle
08-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Just got my first order, no issues for me... a friend who ordered the same day as me has had a different experience.

My order shipped and he hadn’t heard anything yet. Emailed Dallas at like 10pm pacific, and he replied in 15 minutes. Some back and forth, eventually order confirmation sent but he accidentally ordered the guide vest not jacket. Kuiu USA cancelled order, he had to call USA to find out what was going on, everything was straightened out, new order shipped... was supposed to arrive Tuesday but townhouse number wasn’t on whatever Canada post had (it was on the order confirmation, apparently) so they are sending it back to California. He tried to call and tell Canada post his house number but they said it was too late, once it was in the system that was it. Now he has a friend trying to grab it in a sorting center before it gets state side and this process starts again.

I have had zero issues, and WILL order again. My friend has and is still going through issues and I’m not sure what he will do next time.

Astepanuk
08-02-2018, 07:01 PM
I’ve been wearing the gear for several years and few complaints. It fits me really well and the customer service has been great.

I talked to the service rep in the states and did not come away with a great feeling. I’ll follow up today and then start getting serious if I’m not satisfied.

Did you get hold of Dallas.

SR80
08-03-2018, 06:47 AM
I have never heard of a Leaky KUIU Tent. Geoff i know Dallas the KUIU rep very well, he actually lives in Red Deer. Ya if you need to talk i can you guys up to. He will call you back immediately.He tries his best to make sure everyone is treated well and in a timely manner.
I like KUIU worn it for years but their getting ridiculous expensive ....
Well you must of been hiding under a rock or something then, my friend

SR80
08-03-2018, 06:49 AM
LOL .... Its like the ford 6.0 ... you hear of issues all over yet people still continued to buy them :/

Awesome clothes too .... just too damn expensive. I cant pay $400 for a jacket to roll around in the dirt in.

Nothing wrong with the good ol 6.0L :D

BrookTrout
08-03-2018, 12:26 PM

i got a 6.0 and kuiu! Everything’s good for me!!

RDM
08-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Best thing to do to buy Kuiu gear is go to their store. I go every year when driving south in the winter. Always have stock and you get to try it on. Works for me

sumonda
08-05-2018, 08:17 PM
I have no experience with their tents, but have had a problem with their cheaper Teton clothing line which they made good by sending me some of their better stuff. I really like it and with 3 good outing in it still looks new - I'm a fan of Kuiu, but find Sitka better and easier to buy.

bigneily
08-07-2018, 10:09 PM
Although I have not bought and kuiu gear myself I have friends with there stuff , I like the products for sure . Its just I have a Sitka dealer close and I am the kind of person who would rather try on gear for fit . I am thick and stocky and some companies gear fits differently. Or be able to feel the goods before purchase is all . Hence I am a Sitka guy .

Avalanche123
08-16-2018, 12:16 PM
My small order took a week (express post) to arrive. No complaints on the service I received.

butcher
08-16-2018, 01:31 PM
My tent poles showed up last night. Literally on the eve of my hunt. Problem solved by the customer service reps at kuiu.

Avalanche123
08-16-2018, 01:43 PM
My tent poles showed up last night. Literally on the eve of my hunt. Problem solved by the customer service reps at kuiu.

That is cutting it a bit close but good to hear it worked out...

pro 111
08-20-2018, 03:09 PM
where do u get this stuff in BC?

bcsteve
08-20-2018, 04:48 PM
where do u get this stuff in BC?
You don’t. Online only.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-20-2018, 05:25 PM
Had the original Mtn Star 2p. Leaked like a seive on my second hunt.. like really bad. They replaced it with the upgraded version and it worked for its first season but leaked again this year in some of the heavier rains that we experienced.
They will be getting another letter.

Finally got to try out the boned out game bags this year on our hunt. Was pretty impressed. A boned out sheep will fit into a large and medium bag. Shoulder cape would probably fit into a small but didn't try it myself.

Have liked all the clothes that I've tried. Attack pants could be a bit tougher though

SSS

Jordan f.
08-20-2018, 06:03 PM
I had one of the jackets (soft shell with no hood.. can't remember the name), wool gloves/beanie, and gaitors. Didn't really care for any of it and sold it to buy FL gear. Much happier now.

My buddy had the Icon 7200 and wasn't a huge fan once it was packed full with elk meat.

It's by no means a terrible brand. But it'd chose Sitka or First Lite over Kuiu gear, and Stone Glacier or Kifaru over the Kuiu packs..

twoSevenO
08-20-2018, 06:17 PM
Anyone follow the Kuiu guy on IG? I dont own any of their gear yet but based on his IG it strikes me more as pursuit of looking dapper on the mountain that to be the best hunting gear out there.

I am strongly eyeing their pro pants though .... just cant convince myself to spend $200usd on pants.

fuzzybiscuit
08-20-2018, 06:52 PM
Kuiu and cheap don’t go well together. I’m cheap...

Morgan123
08-20-2018, 07:38 PM
Recently bought kuui gear pants, coat and underwear so far so good fits awesome. Also have First Lite pants hoodie and jacket some good stuff there as well.

All of it should be for the price...….ouch!!!!!

twoSevenO
08-20-2018, 09:20 PM
lol .... i just tried to order the bino harness from these guys. Got new binos they deserve some protection. Figured Kuiu made one of the better harnesses out there.
They won't let you use a Canadian billing address and USA shipping address. How lame!

I ain't payin mandatory tax and duties by having it shipped across border. F that. Guess i'll just have my brother from the USA order it for me.

bighornbob
08-20-2018, 09:43 PM
lol .... i just tried to order the bino harness from these guys. Got new binos they deserve some protection. Figured Kuiu made one of the better harnesses out there.
They won't let you use a Canadian billing address and USA shipping address. How lame!

I ain't payin mandatory tax and duties by having it shipped across border. F that. Guess i'll just have my brother from the USA order it for me.

had the same thing happen to me when trying to send some gear to a friend in Seattle. I phoned them the next day and they bypassed the online issue. Sent to Seattle billed Kamloops. Very happy with the phone girl and she took care of it right away.

Bhb

twoSevenO
08-20-2018, 09:44 PM
had the same thing happen to me when trying to send some gear to a friend in Seattle. I phoned them the next day and they bypassed the online issue. Sent to Seattle billed Kamloops. Very happy with the phone girl and she took care of it right away.

Bhb

Good to hear! Thanks!

AgSilver
08-20-2018, 11:19 PM
They must have changed that because my last couple of orders all went to my Parcel 24/7 box.

I can't stand Hairston so I'll probably be moving away from their gear...but it's annoying because I *really* like their pants. Attacks are a daily wear for me in the fall/winter/spring. Wish they made Tiburons without the side pockets so that I could wear them golfing.

twoSevenO
08-21-2018, 06:35 AM
^ must have. That's exactly where I order stuff too.

I know. That guy seems annoying and like a total douche.

SR80
08-21-2018, 06:46 AM
And he hangs out with trump Jr. Icing on the cake

firebird
08-21-2018, 07:54 AM
Met him this year in Alaska, spent a few hours talking between/on bush flights and cab ride.

Didn't look very approachable so I left him alone but he came right over introduced himself, asked how my hunt was and chatted about random everyday things. Talked about some future hunting trips. Slung each others gear around between vehicles. When we parted ways he shook my hand again and wished me good luck in the future.

Cant knock him for that.

I was annoyed awhile back when he said "he doesn't make clothes for fat guys and women" because that covers my wife and my dad lol. I wanted to mention that to him but i decided against it.

I also have a love hate relation ship with KUIU gear. I like that its always in stock in my size and ships quick. But I still fall back on Sitka. Usually it comes down to whats on sale, 2nd hand, or whats in stock.

kootenaihunter
08-21-2018, 09:15 AM
I ordered a few things for the first time a couple weeks ago. Quick shipping.

First was the bino harness, which ended up not being what I was after, it was a little too minimalist and the photos on the site didn't really give a good feel for what it was until I had it in hand.

I also was looking for a mid-wight 1/4 zip layer, bought the Peloton. I am an XL in most things and 'normal' sized, but the thing didn't zip up my neck, too tight. The fabric was light and probably warm, but after feeling it, was relatively cheap and would stink after a few hours of wear, 100% polyester. A microfleece zip from walmart would do the same thing.

I also bought the Peloton briefs by mistake, I thought the were a merino blend, but either way the legs were too skinny, like they were fitted for a road biker. 100% poly boxers, no thanks, after day one they will be rank.

Lastly, and most surprisingly, the flex fit hat did not fit me. I have dozens of flex fit hats all in the same size, so I order the same size, and it was too small.

I felt that for the price everything was, I wanted near perfect fit and higher end fabrics, etc, so I returned the lot.

I suppose if you're into the ultra light stuff, it would be good, but I found the fitment of everything a little odd. Not really knocking it, just wasn't for me.

bcsteve
08-21-2018, 05:17 PM

I think I ran into that issue last time I ordered. I just called in my order, no problem.

Blockcaver
08-21-2018, 07:40 PM
I like most of the KUIU clothes I've tried and use the heck out of them: Chugach rain gear, Peloton 240 weight full zip hoody, Attack pants, Super Down jacket and zip-off pants, Guide gloves, zip-off 210 weight long johns and web belt. The Guide jacket did not fit well for me and went back...I did not think it was very warm either. I don't like the Merino zip neck tees as mine did not hold up at all and they stay wet from sweat a long time if it was humid out.

Calico
08-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Kuiu is really good at marketing.

twoSevenO
08-21-2018, 10:03 PM
Kuiu is really good at marketing.

As mentioned above the owner does not make clothes for "fat people". If you look on his Instagram hes got training pictures of him on a treadmill hooked up to all kinds of sensors and breathing tubes with a guy holding a clipboard observing his process.

They're all about the "hunter athlete" image. And the push that in all their advertising.

Hell, they got ads with hunters scaling glaciers with full on crampons and ice axes and harnesses ..... I mean do people actually hunt like this?

Anyways .... most of the accomplished hunters I know of wouldnt be caught in Kuiu unless they got it for free. Lol.

We are all guilty of it in some ways. I have a stone glacier pack that even used was absurdly expensive when most guys I know use a $100 pack frame and have killed WAY more game than me.

As I said to a guy I hunted with last year that donned all Kuiu stuff .... it's Gucciflage

Avalanche123
08-22-2018, 06:15 AM
As mentioned above the owner does not make clothes for "fat people". If you look on his Instagram hes got training pictures of him on a treadmill hooked up to all kinds of sensors and breathing tubes with a guy holding a clipboard observing his process.

They're all about the "hunter athlete" image. And the push that in all their advertising.

Hell, they got ads with hunters scaling glaciers with full on crampons and ice axes and harnesses ..... I mean do people actually hunt like this?

Anyways .... most of the accomplished hunters I know of wouldnt be caught in Kuiu unless they got it for free. Lol.

We are all guilty of it in some ways. I have a stone glacier pack that even used was absurdly expensive when most guys I know use a $100 pack frame and have killed WAY more game than me.

As I said to a guy I hunted with last year that donned all Kuiu stuff .... it's Gucciflage

Two things turned me off. One was his terrible shot of a stone sheep with Donald Jr (it's on YouTube) and the fact he wears a heart rate monitor when he hunts. Hunting isn't a race.
The only thing I own that I just bought was a duffle bag. We do have to keep in mind that he was a Pro Athlete at one time so fitness is a huge component of his marketing mojo.
To each his own. Anything camo is just marketing anyway IMO.

SR80
08-22-2018, 06:29 AM
Not to stick up for hairston, but when he said he doesn't make clothes for fat people, I believe he said the whole purpose of kuiu was to make mountain hunting clothes, for sheep hunts etc. Most mountain hunters are fit, some aren't and still get it done, but most are fit and athletic to some point. And I think thats what he wants to cater to too, not bubba in the duck blind that needs a XXXL jacket. Not saying that all duck hunters need an XXXL either lol. Still a very arrogant thing to say.

firebird
08-22-2018, 03:13 PM
He didn't need to say it. Simply not making those sizes works

Obviously changed his mind on the women's

BUT
Somebody does need to say something about LArge plus and yoga pants!!!

g2mike
08-22-2018, 05:07 PM
Jason gets alot of hate but I think the majority of the haters are people who have read (on certain forums) that some industry people dont get along with him and jump on the hate wagon. He certainly doesn't come across in videos as someone Id be friends with, but hes apparently not really that bad in real life. And at least hes a real person while Sitka is owned by a mega corporation. And at the end of the day, Im not buying gear to be friends with someone, Im buying gear because that gear works.

Kuiu makes some elite quality mountain hunting gear. You really can't go wrong with Kuiu, Sitka, or Firstlite, its like Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. And I still cant figure out why they're the only people making zip off long johns!

Sitka is great because you can get it locally in store but maybe a bit overpriced generally.
Firstlite is nice being a smaller company immersed in the community and makes some good stuff but is alot more difficult to get in Canada.
Kuiu at least has a Canadian based E-store and easy shipping to Canada, and has a Canadian rep, and is at all the shows. They may have moved manufacturing out of Canada, but they're at least trying to be in Canada.

I had an issue with an order that wasn't getting resolved via email with kuiu hq, and sent an email to dallas (canadian rep) and he called me back in less than 2 minutes with a solution. That is a level of customer service that doesn't exist anymore.

AgSilver
08-22-2018, 11:31 PM
I try to ignore all of the "gucci" and "kewl" comments about Kuiu. I picked up most of my stuff on sale at prices that were quite reasonable for the quality of gear (especially if I hadn't had to pay duty on that first order...damn, that one hurt). And I really do love some of it. Some of it, I'd change if I did it again.

But...Hairston is a pretty piss-poor portrayal of the hunting community and, as an industry "leader" (or at least a high profile guy in the industry), does a shit-ass job of creating any sympathy or acceptance for what we all love to do. He could learn a few lessons in diplomacy from someone like Callaghan or Rinella. Making public dickhead comments about someone that disagrees with your point of view instead of educating just creates further divisiveness that we don't need in society. Like it or not, what we do is a privilege, not a right. A guy like that just jeopardizes that privilege for the rest of us.

firebird
08-23-2018, 06:24 AM
First lites supposed to have a Canadian E store coming. So they keep telling me.

Muskydawg
08-23-2018, 09:27 AM
If you watch the YouTube videos where he has the mask on and the guy with the clipboard it’s actualky pretty interesting stuff. I think he only wore the heart rate monitor the one time as part of the same exoeriment. Basically Trying to optimize his athleticism and diet to minimize the amount of food he has to bring. I like to exercise and I know it makes me more comfortable while I’m hunting. Not necessarily more successful, but more adventurous and comfortable. You can’t really knock the guy for taking care of himself, putting in the time and money to do the experiment, and then sharing the results with us for free.

Jordan f.
08-23-2018, 11:29 AM
If I remember correctly, a big part of that experiment was to see just how much lighter gear benifits a hunter (or something of that nature). Since he is the owner of one of the biggest light weight hunting brands... his direct involvement makes it way to biased for me.