PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Okanagan Mountain Park?

JG75
07-28-2018, 10:47 PM
just wondering if anyone here hunts or has hunted in Okanagan Mountain Park, Ive been hiking up there in the summer time and i "scouted" it out on Google Earth and it looks like good/fun hunting grounds, is this a busy spot come September? is there alot of hikers/hippie back packers ? lots of game?. Im not looking for hand outs here any info you guys are willing to spare a fellow hunter would be really appreciated, i recently had to move away from HWY 33 where i usually hunt and OK MTN is closer to me now and I'm desperate for a new spot.

HighCountryBC
07-28-2018, 10:58 PM
Not to be a downer but OKMP is yesterday's news. It's a busy spot no matter where you enter from, boat or hike in. Regrowth from the '03 burn has hit its potential and is on the downswing while pred numbers are at a high. This is likely the last year for both the goat and sheep LEH in there due to low numbers for 3 consecutive years of surveys. Deer and elk aren't doing much better.

There are much more productive spots close to town.

Ourea
07-29-2018, 10:18 AM
Boom phase for wildlife numbers post 2003 fire is long gone.
Numbers began to shrink steadily along with age starting around 2010-2011.
There will always be game in the Park.
Heavy pressure along with shrinking numbers is the current challenge.

tracker
07-29-2018, 10:22 AM
tough slug in there ,but there is some game left behind.. gets busy in September for sure

358mag
07-29-2018, 01:50 PM
And with the recent fires that are burning in the park , its going to be very busy in there with a limited amount of legal deer-elk .
That is if the Park will even be open this season due to the fires .

Mixter
10-15-2018, 08:34 PM
Not to be a downer but OKMP is yesterday's news. It's a busy spot no matter where you enter from, boat or hike in. Regrowth from the '03 burn has hit its potential and is on the downswing while pred numbers are at a high. This is likely the last year for both the goat and sheep LEH in there due to low numbers for 3 consecutive years of surveys. Deer and elk aren't doing much better.

There are much more productive spots close to town.

having just moved to the area and my first year hunting...not asking for specifics just general areas for where to hunt in the area of west kelowna? Or off the connector?

ghunter4x4
10-15-2018, 08:59 PM
On a positive note myself and 3 buddies just finished our shared LEH hunt for bull moose and got both close bye. Good luck in there. Move slowly and shoot every wolf you see.

Steelpulse
10-16-2018, 12:45 AM
I would suggest anywhere else haha. Go down the highways in any direction and get away from the city and you will be better off.

dana
10-21-2018, 08:43 PM
I thought the taxidermists were all excited about all the big bucks that would be coming in this year smelling like ash and smoke? ;)

358mag
10-21-2018, 08:51 PM
I thought the taxidermists were all excited about all the big bucks that would be coming in this year smelling like ash and smoke? ;)

Well if they were they would be like a lot of gut pile hunters ......:lol: