PDA

View Full Version : hunter training and scouting..

walks with deer
07-23-2018, 11:04 AM
had the 9 year old and 7 year old out for a great hike on saturday...
started at 2400 feet of secound growth through into first growth and ended are hike in the subalpine at 4400 feet...it was steep and in spots slippery we ate a lot of berries and at lunch time reviewed the contents of our packs and what would be usefull and what we should add.. the climb was between 6- and 8 km up and then we sidehilled alot of old fir timber on are way down chequing out some great bedding zones...covering a easy 9 km down
best part is we took photos of our yard from the top...

these little troopers did not complain once and we found some exciting new stuff including a natural lick that we of course put a game cam on...

we took the rest of saturday off...than sunday we had gunsafety than target practice followed up with a evening trout fish...while we where in the boat we saw the largest muley we have seen around home in a couple years...

i have just been doing chores on my days off the last couple months so we had to have a fun day..

good gear test for caribou season aswell.

RackStar
07-23-2018, 11:14 AM
It’s amazing how great life can become when you don’t live in the big city.

Sounds like a great weekend.

Do you fly in for caribou? I’m looking to do a combo hunt soon but mainly would like to come back with a bou.

walks with deer
07-23-2018, 11:45 AM
hike in...

hopefully with dad caribou than elk..

i have had success every hike in and learn more about my areas every time i chew my arm off and head up..

45freezer
07-23-2018, 04:11 PM
Sounds like a perfect weekend, nothing beats passing on the knowledge of the things we love to do to the next generation. Good luck catching up with that muley come fall ;)

walks with deer
07-23-2018, 05:01 PM
high odds i wilk not get a chance at that buck....but the wife doesnt work so hopefully she can sit there and read a book and hope he comes by...
good thing is if he gets pressured he will move over the hill into my private land...lol..never shot one in the yard yet....could have many times but choose not to..
the point of the post is get the kids up a hill with you for a great day...they sleep good that night too...hell so did i...lol

45freezer
07-23-2018, 05:57 PM
For sure, even the worst day in the bush is better than the best day at work/school, a productive day on the mountain is a bonus...plus if they can keep up at their current ages just imagine the hunters they'll make one day! Have you taken any animals with them yet? Wasn't exactly sure how my boy would handle our bear but it seems like it was an invaluable experience for him and seeing him getting his hands dirty with the mess of success was a proud dad moment to say the least!

nature girl
07-23-2018, 06:06 PM
That's great to get the kids involved and for them not to complain even greater. Enjoy the time when they are young.

walks with deer
07-23-2018, 08:31 PM
45freezer probably 10 anima harvest between there mom and i..they know where there food comes from and learning how tp get it...shelteing kidd is a form of abuse.

HarryToolips
07-23-2018, 08:46 PM
Always great getting the kids out.....I agree they definitely sleep good...lol my 5 year olds favourite thing to do while out there is still rolling rocks down the hills....

45freezer
07-24-2018, 07:33 AM
45freezer probably 10 anima harvest between there mom and i..they know where there food comes from and learning how tp get it...shelteing kidd is a form of abuse.

You got that right. Awesome, keep getting them out there and they'll be filling your freezer up before you know it!

lordbrown
09-10-2018, 10:25 AM
Hey WalkswithDeer. Tried to get reply to you but it said your message box was full... Thanks for the info and concern :smile: Much appreciated! Any idea how to get ahold of the fellas you had named or anyone that can point them in my direction? Cheers

mike31154
09-11-2018, 09:53 AM
8 km up 9 down in mountain terrain is a huge day on foot! I've done some backountry ski touring days close to that & half is relatively easy, skiing down. Walking down can be nearly as tiring as climbing.
I'm not worthy!!