PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with friend, legal details

bearheart
07-22-2018, 05:04 PM
Going on elk hunt with friend. If we get an elk we plan to split the meat. The shooter will cut his tag. If we split the meat what must we do to be legal when transporting to home/butcher ? One will have rack and 1/2 of meat, the other just 1/2 of meat/. Thanks!

HappyJack
07-22-2018, 05:20 PM
Travel together, read the regs in regards to transporting game. If it's not your tag you will need all your friends info to give a CO if you get stopped...and there are even more rules if you plan on crossing a border.

Ferenc
07-22-2018, 05:28 PM
As you read thru the BC hunting regulations you will find a page that you fill out .. the hunter that tagged it .. just carry that on your way home .... this is the correct way ... hand written letters do not work ,with us sharing the meat ... we had to fill out this info in the hunting regs... and we were good to go. You can also go as far as photo copying this page the CO told us ..... good luck on your elk hunt !!!!

Pg 24 in the Huntin regs .

Jelvis
07-22-2018, 05:31 PM
Just keep all paper work on - whoever pulled the trigger shot it, so they cut tag, The Current Regulations has it on Page 24
1. You gut it, skin it, And quarter it.
2. Drag it out to truck or
3. If dragging out to two trucks and splitting there
4. if you split into two trucks to drive to homes, the shooter has cut tag,
5. A C.O. if pulls one of you over won't freak out and start giving a hard time, he or she is trained to deal with this.
6. That's about it from my end but maybe new regs out in 2018?
7. If your cutting up at home or at meat market too, makes a difference with paper work
8. If taking meat to Butcher they know, they know your tag number.
9. C.O.s don't hassle butchers
10. Just be honest and stick to regs and follow along, simple as that

Jel - once your home, hang, and keep cut tag til next season - my opinion so - check on here for more response from younger up to date hunters of both genders too. HBC is a great resource for new hunters to get valuable hunting information - new hunters and hunterrets get enormous information for learning properly

quadrakid
07-22-2018, 06:29 PM
first thing to do is not get your info from us internet jockeys. read the regulations,if you don,t understand something in the regs then email the CO<S with your question.

dakoda62
07-22-2018, 07:58 PM
Page 24 of the current reg's

walks with deer
07-23-2018, 10:48 AM
have gone through road blocks before loaded down with 4 other peoples animals and my own...as i was going home first i was the designated meat runner at the end of a october long weekend you know your going through a game check...
had a letter following the template in the regs for each animal and had my possesion limit of bird aswell...

no issues.

bearheart
07-24-2018, 05:17 AM
As you read thru the BC hunting regulations you will find a page that you fill out .. the hunter that tagged it .. just carry that on your way home .... this is the correct way ... hand written letters do not work ,with us sharing the meat ... we had to fill out this info in the hunting regs... and we were good to go. You can also go as far as photo copying this page the CO told us ..... good luck on your elk hunt !!!!

Pg 24 in the Huntin regs .

Thanks!!! That is what I needed to know. We will not be traveling together as we will be hunting near his home and I'm coming from the coast.

Billybird
07-24-2018, 07:40 AM
Staight out of the synopsis 2018-20.

Transporting Wildlife
All persons who possess, transport or ship
wildlife meat or parts of wildlife within the
Province of British Columbia must have
with them the species licence under which
the animal was taken by that person, or, if
the animal was taken by another person, a
Record of Receipt of the wildlife (see
page 24) showing:
4the date and place of receipt,
4the name and address of the person
who killed the animal, or from whom it was
acquired,
4the name and address of the person to
whom the wildlife parts are to be delivered,
4the Fish and Wildlife ID or permit number
of the person who killed the animal,
4the species licence number under which
the animal was taken, and
4the species and sex of the animal taken.
Anyone having wildlife butchered and
packaged should obtain from the butcher a
receipt which indicates:
4the Fish and Wildlife ID, the species
licence number, and the species, and sex of
the animal taken.

j270wsm
07-24-2018, 10:40 AM
Thanks!!! That is what I needed to know. We will not be traveling together as we will be hunting near his home and I'm coming from the coast.

You could have all the meat shipped to you after its butchered and frozen. This would help avoid any possible issues with CO's/game checks. Or are you intending to butcher the animal yourself?

Ferenc
07-24-2018, 02:49 PM

No problem .... and if you do decide to get it cut and wrapped at a butcher near your friends place it also helps to have the paper work from him also ... it’s getting close I’m getting excited too ... never better than hearing them bugle ... : )