PDA

View Full Version : Spotting scope tripod? What are guys using

CE13
07-20-2018, 07:29 PM
Looking for some opinions on tripods for the pack , preferably lightweight but also stable. Let’s hear some thoughts

Frank grimes
07-20-2018, 07:34 PM
I use the monfrotto befree the one with the video head. I’m happy with it. I’m sure I could upgrade the head but it’s smoo H enough for me and holds my 65mm vanguard just fine

butcher
07-20-2018, 07:40 PM
Swarovski. Unreal quality.

SR80
07-21-2018, 07:08 AM
Promaster..there is a fine line between lightweight and stable.

m5wilson
07-21-2018, 07:42 AM
I have a Ranger carbon fiber tripod with ball head I found on amazon. Seems pretty good, I will change out the head at some point since I don't like the ball head with spotting scopes. I haven't had a chance to compare it to other popular tripods like slik, manfrotto and promaster but at less than half the price I'm happy.

Carbonmatrix
07-21-2018, 11:31 AM
Outsoorsmans compact medium with pistol grip,

KBC
07-21-2018, 01:11 PM
I have a Ranger carbon fiber tripod with ball head I found on amazon. Seems pretty good, I will change out the head at some point since I don't like the ball head with spotting scopes. I haven't had a chance to compare it to other popular tripods like slik, manfrotto and promaster but at less than half the price I'm happy.
I have the same one and same opinion. Seems pretty good but the ball head will eventually be changed to a pan head but the quality seems good.

Greenthumbed
07-21-2018, 08:10 PM
I have a Vortex Summit SS. I think it a good combination of lightweight and stability. The price is around $200 if I remember correctly.

Astepanuk
07-21-2018, 08:59 PM
I use a Sirui carbon works great and super light weight check out www.bhphotovideo.com (http://www.bhphotovideo.com) bought a bunch of stuff from them lots of selection

sillyghillie
07-27-2018, 01:38 PM
picked up a vortex summit ss this year. Im running a smaller spotter so i think itll work well for that but if you have a big heavy spotter get something beefier

twoSevenO
07-27-2018, 01:59 PM
Promaster..there is a fine line between lightweight and stable.

X2 ... I have one that's a hair under 2lb but even the slightest breeze will make the spotter vibrate. I might actually just pack the 4lb one this year.

Bugle M In
07-27-2018, 02:10 PM
Could always use the "bog pod".
With attachments, can be used for spotting scope, bino setup, and for what it is mainly intended, a shooting tripod.
Comes in different height also.

AgSilver
07-27-2018, 02:31 PM
I have an AmazonBasics carbon one - ~2lbs and ~$100.

I haven't had any heavy wind conditions when using it, so it's been stable so far. Have also mostly used it with binos. But, given my spotter of choice this year will be a Kowa 56mm, I think it will be fine for that, too.

Boner
07-27-2018, 03:08 PM
I have a carbon Swaro. I’m undecided if I’m going to bother packing it up the mountains this year. It’s light, but awful big.

RackStar
07-27-2018, 03:37 PM
Vortex summit SS for my razor 65mm

mixed emotions, light weight and small, but like said above. Fine line between light weight and stable.
Putting it to the test in 4 weeks on my caribou sheep goat hunt. By the end of those 11 days I will know if i will be buying a new one or not.

Avalanche123
07-27-2018, 05:26 PM
I have used light tripods for my Swaro (65mm) and the instability is frustrating. This year I didn't break the bank and bought a Vortex Pro GT that offers pretty amazing stability but weighs 4.6lbs and certainly doesn't pack small.
Due to an injury last week I had to cancel my sheep hunt this week so I am admittedly trying to decide if I should return it now BUT if I had not been injured I would have kept it because it is pointless having good optics and a poor functioning tripod.

twoSevenO
07-27-2018, 07:11 PM
I have an AmazonBasics carbon one - ~2lbs and ~$100.

I haven't had any heavy wind conditions when using it, so it's been stable so far. Have also mostly used it with binos. But, given my spotter of choice this year will be a Kowa 56mm, I think it will be fine for that, too.

Funny I just ordered this one to try it out and see if it's any more stable than my other lightweight one. Figure easy enough to return it if it isnt.

Got any more info to share on it? Likes dislikes?

I dont plan on using it standing up so only needs to be stable at sitting height.

Kootenaykid85
07-27-2018, 07:18 PM
Funny I just ordered this one to try it out and see if it's any more stable than my other lightweight one. Figure easy enough to return it if it isnt.

I dont plan on using it standing up so only needs to be stable at sitting height.

Looks very simalar to my gitzo traveller tripod but 10x cheaper. be interesting to hear a review.

twoSevenO
07-27-2018, 09:11 PM
Looks very simalar to my gitzo traveller tripod but 10x cheaper. be interesting to hear a review.

It's probably not the same quality but I expect it's probably good enough for the price.

The thing about these tripods now is that they have come a long way by basically copying the high end ones that were state of the art only a few years ago.

They're not quite the same quality .... but for a fraction of the price you should expect them to be either!

aamenta
07-27-2018, 09:12 PM
vortex summit ss

AgSilver
07-28-2018, 12:23 PM

It's probably not the same quality but I expect it's probably good enough for the price.

The thing about these tripods now is that they have come a long way by basically copying the high end ones that were state of the art only a few years ago.

They're not quite the same quality .... but for a fraction of the price you should expect them to be either!

Limited use thus far. When I got it, it was $100. The ball head it comes with is pretty shit for practical use in the field. That's why I hadn't used it much as I didn't figure that out until a bit too late and then ordered a pan head from amazon, but haven't had an opportunity to really use it yet.

Am strongly considering just going all out on Outdoorsmans heads/attachments, though. But when I put all of the cool stuff that they have in my cart, it was like $1000 USD without even getting a tripod...just heads and attachments!

SR80
07-29-2018, 07:54 AM
Ive got the outdoorsmans pistol grip head on order! Can't wait to give it a whirl this year. Maybe spring for the outdoorsmans medium tripod next year

twoSevenO
07-29-2018, 10:14 AM
There is a limit to what I'll spend on a tripod. And that limit is well under $200.

If the amazon one doesnt pan out I'll probably just lug the old photography tripod that is usually reserved for glassing from near the truck and for range use.

4+lb but she sure is steady.

Avalanche123
07-29-2018, 02:24 PM
There is a limit to what I'll spend on a tripod. And that limit is well under $200.

If the amazon one doesnt pan out I'll probably just lug the old photography tripod that is usually reserved for glassing from near the truck and for range use.

4+lb but she sure is steady.

Pretty sure if you add up the weight of the Outdoorsmen, the only weight difference between it and what you have is about 1lb.....Paying that much money for a 1lb of weight savings is tough to justify. Especially if what you have is steady. My $0.02....

SR80
07-30-2018, 06:42 AM
Pretty sure if you add up the weight of the Outdoorsmen, the only weight difference between it and what you have is about 1lb.....Paying that much money for a 1lb of weight savings is tough to justify. Especially if what you have is steady. My $0.02....
Well you're paying for more of a weight savings with an outdoorsman. Its built to last, and will last. Their stuff isn't cheap china made crap like you'll find all over amazon. All aluminum parts and pieces. You can have the best glass in the world, but it you put it on a shi**ty tripod its gonna be a like looking through a blurry mess.

sumonda
07-30-2018, 07:34 AM
Just picked up a Manfrotto 290 with Giottos 1300 ball head - total weight is 4.12 lbs, but it's rock steady even at full extension.

xcaribooer
08-01-2018, 02:30 PM
picked up the vortex high country, seems fairly sturdy for the price and weighs 34oz, I didn't feel like spending more than a $100 on one so this was about the lightest one I found in my price range. im not a sheep hunter and just do the odd alpine deer hunt so this is all I felt I needed and happy so far