PDA

View Full Version : It's river rainbow trout hunting season!

caddisguy
07-19-2018, 07:49 PM
Put a little compilation together for inspiration :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vuee4CdLIdo&t=203s

ncurrie
07-19-2018, 08:47 PM
Awesome video thanks for sharing!!

REMINGTON JIM
07-19-2018, 08:54 PM
Nice VIDEO ! :wink: What River ? RJ

358mag
07-19-2018, 09:22 PM
Is it just my computer , all I get is a blank black box nothing to down load !!!

caddisguy
07-19-2018, 09:29 PM
Hey 358mag... it could be a javascript or HTML5 thing... security setting in the browser maybe. This direct link will get you there:

@ncurrie thank you so much

And RJ: sent you a PM :)

Beachcomber
07-19-2018, 09:31 PM
Thanks for posting. Great video, beautiful water. What sort of patterns were you using (I would guess caddis by your handle but...)

07-19-2018, 09:34 PM
Great video. Thanks for posting.

Sunny days, clear water, scraping Rainbow on light gear, right flippin on.

Makes me me think of long days ago lol.

caddisguy
07-19-2018, 09:40 PM
Thanks for posting. Great video, beautiful water. What sort of patterns were you using (I would guess caddis by your handle but...)

Tan gold ribbed bead headed hares ear nymph early season size 14 or so (Region 2) rubber legs a bonus but not necessary ... big stonies with lead-wrap shafts to get into deep pockets. The dry-fly one towards the end was a deer hair caddis or a stimulator.

caddisguy
07-19-2018, 09:43 PM
Great video. Thanks for posting.

Sunny days, clear water, scraping Rainbow on light gear, right flippin on.

Makes me me think of long days ago lol.

Thanks curly! It's definitely good to be out waist deep in that clear water with the fishes. We're going to head back out there for the weekend for some more therapeutic flyfishing... probably ditch the cameras though so I can really get in the zone.

Spy
07-19-2018, 11:31 PM
Thanks that was great :-)

lovemywinchester
07-20-2018, 09:44 PM
Great vid but I was a little disappointed you didn't show us you checking the wife for ticks.That's very bushy country. Can't be too careful.

Timbow
07-21-2018, 07:50 AM
Thanks for sharing. Looks like you two had a great outing.

One Shot
07-21-2018, 10:02 PM
Great video, Thank you

caddisguy
07-22-2018, 05:10 PM
Lol thanks guys. We went at it again this weekend. Filmed 4 catches I think. Highlight was we had a 5x4 BT buck feeding in our camp. Looked like an old cranky buck. He woke me up. Figured it was a bear making all the noise but I waited a few and out pops the deer. I put the headlamp on him to count tines. For the most part he just kept feeding but for a couple seconds I thought he was going to work me over lol

frenchbar
07-22-2018, 06:32 PM
Nothing quite like fishing summer rainbows in rivers..i grew up on fishing seton. River and cayoosh creek as a kid..most fun fishing ive ever had...nice video!tfs

caddisguy
07-22-2018, 07:06 PM
Nothing quite like fishing summer rainbows in rivers..i grew up on fishing seton. River and cayoosh creek as a kid..most fun fishing ive ever had...nice video!tfs

I really feel like I'm in the amazon. The biodiversity is insane between the fish, bugs, aquatic critters, snakes, mammals... just fishing down the river and at every curve it feels like a different ecosystem, totally "alive" with summer. I'll post up the video after next weekend it will be a good 2018 round-up, then I'm onto some crayfishing before bow season.

Dash
07-23-2018, 01:30 PM
Absolutely loved it! Great video caddis!

caddisguy
07-29-2018, 09:45 PM
Some more footage from last weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnu0mr3zmAc

greybark
07-30-2018, 07:07 AM
Nice to see proper catch and release with no out of the water hero shots ! I admire your enthusiasm .

weatherby_man
07-30-2018, 09:08 AM
Great vids, thanks for posting.

caddisguy
07-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Nice to see proper catch and release with no out of the water hero shots ! I admire your enthusiasm .

Thanks, appreciated. I'm far from perfect but I get better with time. I still lift them out of the net and admire for a half second once in a while or catch myself lifting the net out of water, so room for improvement.

I think one of the most important aspects is to play fish quickly. This is something I wish I would have corrected earlier in my fishing career. In my teens and early 20's I used to fish with 2lb tippet because I found that I could "get away with more" (bad technique) and catch more fish. While somewhat true, it meant playing fish for way too long.

Last decade or so I catch these little guys (well, usually little, occasional big rainbow or bull) with 5-6lb tippet. Instead of letting them strip line and playing them until they are tired enough to bring in without snapping off, most of the time I can just muscle them in without a chance of breaking off.

30 seconds vs 2-3 minutes makes a world of difference when it comes to how much gas they have left in their tank. This way, waiting for a fish to recover before letting it go is rarely necessary or even possible and chances of being able to hold one are usually slim anyway. They usually just explode with fury right out of the net at the first opportunity.

358mag
08-03-2018, 01:46 PM
Hey 358mag... it could be a javascript or HTML5 thing... security setting in the browser maybe. This direct link will get you there:

@ncurrie thank you so much

And RJ: sent you a PM :)
Any idea how a non tech computer guy <me> can fix this issue ???

08-05-2018, 04:34 PM
What kinda flies were you using?
Looked like you were swinging a streamer....

08-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Oh ya... thoes are nice fish! If ypur net is the same as mine

caddisguy
08-06-2018, 03:55 PM
@358mag which device / browser are you using? I might be able to find some step-by-step links to help you troubleshoot / fix

@835 some of it was using a bead headed nymph (tan gold ribbed hairs ear size 14) and another was a "stonefly-ish" looking critter I made out of bear hair and grouse feathers... bigger bead head and lead-wrapped shaft to get down a little deeper. The dry-fly take was either a deer hair caddisfly or a simulator

08-06-2018, 06:15 PM
Caddis..

Good to know.
I just gor back from the Elk river in Fernie.. we fish pretty far upriver it was slow for us in our camp spot .. but pretty hot in the Tribs... problem is ot seems the compitition is getting pretty big.. alot more anglers these days... lots of fish to go round but id rather be qhere you are! Lol..... but i did get my 5 year old daughter into alot of smalls in a " tiddler pool" she was able to cast and strip them in..... only problem was she got super in to netting the fish!... next year i am going to look at differwnt water..
I have fished the Elk and Wig and their tribs alot. But they are way busier now...

I suck at nymphing... i am pretty much 90% dry..i do some streamers early on in the Cow but thats it....

Beauty vid tho... very nice water..perfect bow stuff!

caddisguy
08-06-2018, 07:31 PM
Caddis..

Good to know.
I just gor back from the Elk river in Fernie.. we fish pretty far upriver it was slow for us in our camp spot .. but pretty hot in the Tribs... problem is ot seems the compitition is getting pretty big.. alot more anglers these days... lots of fish to go round but id rather be qhere you are! Lol..... but i did get my 5 year old daughter into alot of smalls in a " tiddler pool" she was able to cast and strip them in..... only problem was she got super in to netting the fish!... next year i am going to look at differwnt water..
I have fished the Elk and Wig and their tribs alot. But they are way busier now...

I suck at nymphing... i am pretty much 90% dry..i do some streamers early on in the Cow but thats it....

Beauty vid tho... very nice water..perfect bow stuff!

I find the key to nymphing is to cast at 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock (whichever way is upstream) get your mending in, then crab walk the cast down river, strip back in and repeat. If it's a good run toss a few more but otherwise keep moving. Extending the cast to get the nymph in the optimal strike zone for as long as possible is key. A dry does the same thing no matter what stage of the drift it is in, but nymphs might only be in the optimal strike zone for a few seconds so anything you can do to extend it is gold. I keep the strike indicator 1.5x the depth to a maximum of 6 feet (ie: if the water is only 2 feet I keep the strike indicator at 6)

I meant to do a video tutorial on casting and mending techniques but our flyfishing season got cut a little short this year since my wife fainted on the street we decided to stay out of the river for a bit. Seems like it was a one-off, but we're playing it safe. We ended up camping by a creek this weekend and I got to mess around with some little trout (I think the biggest was 5 inches lol) ... off for a little lake fishing and crayfish trapping next weekend. Should be fun. Slight chance we will have time for one more river rainbow trip later in August. The water will be lower and we'll be more confident about the fainting thing.

08-07-2018, 10:15 AM
could it have been heat? I hope?

fishing is pretty much done for us now till next season....

caddisguy
08-07-2018, 05:37 PM
could it have been heat? I hope?

fishing is pretty much done for us now till next season....

It's possible it could have been a factor. She was inside with the AC all day and went to walk to the store. 3 minutes later she fainted. Maybe a shock to the system. She doesn't remember feeling hot at all though. Never been an issue in the past either. We've spent all day on exposed south facing slopes in 40+ with no issues. Doctor said often it's a variety of things, for example heat + migraine + lady stuff + low blood pressure + going from rest to exercise, etc. She's been ok since but we want to play it safe for a bit around water and steep stuff. Next weekend she will probably swim a little with a life jacket under close supervision.

08-07-2018, 06:54 PM
Well take it easy, finding a girl who fishes with a flyrod is tough!

caddisguy
08-13-2018, 12:52 PM
So... it turns out the lightning storm that came through when we were in there a week and a bit ago took out that whole area. All area shown in these videos is part of an active 2000 hectare fire according to the fire maps. Total bummer.

08-13-2018, 08:33 PM
The area where your video is? That is worse than having your hunting spot logged..

caddisguy
08-13-2018, 08:40 PM
The area where your video is? That is worse than having your hunting spot logged..

It's around Silvertip in the Skagit Valley. Looks like the whole area including the provincial campground was involved. It was a nice spot to camp and fish... spent the last 20 or so years hitting that area a few times every summer. Can't believe it's gone just like that. So many memories... glad I filmed so much because my own visual memory gets a little foggy. Can't believe a couple weeks back I was fishing in there and now it's gone.

08-14-2018, 12:35 PM
Words of motivation.
It will come back, not like it was maybe. It will be different, but it will still be beautiful...