PDA

View Full Version : 2 way radios

Rotorwash
07-19-2018, 07:33 PM
I'm shopping for some radios. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Preferably some that don't beep everytime they transmit or receive.

Thanks guys

Seth
07-19-2018, 07:39 PM
My hunting partner just showed me last hunting season that you can turn the Motorola radios beeping off. I’m not sure why I didn’t just google it earlier... but I guess when you throw out the instructions the second you open the package you’re bound to miss things.

moosecaller
07-19-2018, 08:31 PM
baofeng from ebay or wish

Takla
07-19-2018, 08:43 PM
Just bought 2 baofeng off ebay,havent recieved then yet but will report on them.. ,suppose to be good out to 6-8 k 80.00 for the pair

takla

jac
07-19-2018, 08:44 PM
Baofeng from Amazon. Make sure to by ones with 5 or 7 Watts. If you are buying a truck mounted unit make sure it’s 25 watts

eagle eye
07-19-2018, 09:02 PM
If you buy local then you can have them programmed with logging road frequencies as well.
Its dangrous to be on logging roads without radio

Takla
07-19-2018, 09:13 PM
Ive hunted on logging roads for years without radios on ATV's and never had a problem ,a little common sense rideing and your fine and most drivers are cool,once they know where your camping there always on the lookout for you

Wagonmaster
07-19-2018, 09:17 PM
Our group has used Icom VHF radios for years. They have been great, have long lasting rechargeable batteries and a range out to several kilometers unless you have a mountain in the way. Downside is the cost at $350 each, but if you are looking at many years of hunting ahead of you, it's the way to go if you can manage the expense. Just bought a pair of Motorola T600's for about $100 that my wife and I use on fishing trips (don't want to risk the VHF's going overboard). They seem very well made and will operate with AA's so no risk of a dead radio if you carry a couple of extra batteries with you. They come with rechargeable batteries, but they didn't seem to last very long. The AA's lasted much longer. Worked well on our annual June trip this year. They are waterproof and have a bit of a flashlight built in. Haven't tried them hunting, but I doubt they would have the range of a VHF; it would be interesting to try them out side by side to compare. The FRS units (like the Motorolas) are much better than they used to be. You can disable all the sounds on the T600's which obviously is an important feature for hunting.

HappyJack
07-19-2018, 09:29 PM
We use waterproof Marine VHF radios.....any of those other walkie talkie radios are almost useless.

Rotorwash
07-20-2018, 10:25 AM
I use the icoms for work and they are awesome but a little bulky and heavy for backpack trips. I might have to try those cheap beofengs and see if they hold up. If not I'll have to pack the icoms

Astepanuk
07-20-2018, 10:31 AM
What Kind of range do the beofengs get in the mountains.

hickman
07-20-2018, 10:39 AM
Yep, use them all the time. Super useful when hunting with partner. Any Motorola or equivalent will do. But I found battery life can differ. I have older Cobra that are a little more weight but battery life is super long. Multi-day no problem. But those ones are more or less line of sight. Work great if you are hunting a hillside and buddy is glassing for you from across the valley. Used them last year on goat hunt on my 2 hour stalk. Couldn't have done without as I could not see the goats but buddy guided me from his spot to 165 yds.

Bugle M In
07-20-2018, 11:15 AM
Depends how much you want to spend!?
I think previous posters to your thread have given you the info you need to make your choice.
Good luck!

moosecaller
07-20-2018, 06:27 PM
Same as any UHF

dino
07-20-2018, 06:47 PM

They work a bit better than the decent frs models while in timber but for virtually the same price or cheaper you have way way more frequencys to choose from. No more listening in on other conversations and if you want you can sometimes find a repeater station. Yes your supposed to have an amateur license but this is the real world we live in. You can program the logging channels for safety, program the frs channels also. They are to me the best bang for the buck. If you hunt up top the range is really far and private which is nice.

sumonda
07-20-2018, 08:21 PM
Baofeng- cheap but they work

Busterpayton54
07-21-2018, 12:40 AM
I have Motorola t600, i gps's the range last month in very light timber, at about 800m they had some crackle, by 1100m I could not make out a word. This was on one of the high power channels. I actually get better range in the city.

moosecaller
07-21-2018, 10:12 AM
My cousin and I got 18 kms from outside of PG past the airport east side to the top of university hill on the west side. It sounded like we were parked right next to each other. I can plainly hear the airport tower and planes coming in from 15 km away.

westcoaster
07-21-2018, 10:50 AM
Just know what you are doing when programming the cheap chinese radios (or any other radio for that matter)

Know what frequencies are "free" to use and in what areas.

Repeaters work by transmitting on one frequency and receiving on a second frequency. If you have chosen to stuff the first frequency in your radio, you will not hear if you are interfering on a repeater.

Picture a mine truck backing up to a pit, spotter behind on a radio getting ready to tell the driver to stop, then Bob and Larry looking for rabbits climb on the radio, tying up the repeater, with Larry calling to Bob, "keep coming toward me, You're good! keeeeep coming....."

True, an unlikely scenario, but a somewhat realistic one nonetheless....

The bubblepack radios and their frequencies are the only real frequencies that are "free" to use everywhere in the province.
What about the VHF LAD frequencies? Some of them have area restrictions.
Example: Lad 1 is not to be used in Greater Vancouver, Fraser Valley west of Hope, Vancouver Island south of Nanaimo, south of 53*30'000" (south of Edmonton) and a 100Km radius of Bonnyville, AB

tyler-brown
07-21-2018, 11:47 AM
Baofeng from Amazon. Make sure to by ones with 5 or 7 Watts. If you are buying a truck mounted unit make sure it’s 25 watts

Bought a pair...dislike them. Not worth the money for the range in my opinion. Unless im totally missing something but ive been in contact with the seller on Amazon and had the settings all to their recommendations

moosecaller
07-21-2018, 11:50 AM
Just know what you are doing when programming the cheap chinese radios (or any other radio for that matter)

Know what frequencies are "free" to use and in what areas.

Repeaters work by transmitting on one frequency and receiving on a second frequency. If you have chosen to stuff the first frequency in your radio, you will not hear if you are interfering on a repeater.

Picture a mine truck backing up to a pit, spotter behind on a radio getting ready to tell the driver to stop, then Bob and Larry looking for rabbits climb on the radio, tying up the repeater, with Larry calling to Bob, "keep coming toward me, You're good! keeeeep coming....."

True, an unlikely scenario, but a somewhat realistic one nonetheless....

The bubblepack radios and their frequencies are the only real frequencies that are "free" to use everywhere in the province.
What about the VHF LAD frequencies? Some of them have area restrictions.
Example: Lad 1 is not to be used in Greater Vancouver, Fraser Valley west of Hope, Vancouver Island south of Nanaimo, south of 53*30'000" (south of Edmonton) and a 100Km radius of Bonnyville, AB

That is not how a repeater is used as your example in a pit or on a logging landing, the repeaters are used to transmit literally world wide. A pit operation or a logging landing would not go through a repeater to conduct their business/operation there would be no need to. There is a programming software for these radios and any other uhf/vhf. Also if you go on line you can see all the channels listed as well as the repeaters.

Bugle M In
07-21-2018, 01:39 PM
Bought a pair...dislike them. Not worth the money for the range in my opinion. Unless im totally missing something but ive been in contact with the seller on Amazon and had the settings all to their recommendations

I think many won't admit that they are buying and using the 7 or even 8 watt versions...
Yes, Boafeng are cheap and do work, but you do get what you pay for.
Hit and miss.

dragonslayer
07-21-2018, 04:22 PM
I bought a Baofeng GT-5TP radio about a month ago and which has 3 power outputs up to 8 watts ,also bought bigger antenna, this is just so I can Listen to the RR channels for logging trucks, now my biggest problem is how to program the darn thing. I have installed chirp programming system, bought programming cable , spent hours trying to program it and I still do not know if it is programmed, how to tell ? getting frustrated, also does anyone in Kelowna program these dam things.

John

Takla
07-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Ha,i just bough 2 baofeng 5v radio's as well..look at youtube for programing video.s think i have mine figured out
good luck

takla

moosecaller
07-21-2018, 04:50 PM
I bought a Baofeng GT-5TP radio about a month ago and which has 3 power outputs up to 8 watts ,also bought bigger antenna, this is just so I can Listen to the RR channels for logging trucks, now my biggest problem is how to program the darn thing. I have installed chirp programming system, bought programming cable , spent hours trying to program it and I still do not know if it is programmed, how to tell ? getting frustrated, also does anyone in Kelowna program these dam things.

John
Yup, YouTube it, shows how to do it from download to program to upload to radio, it's like an excel spread sheet and not many people like excel. A bit time consuming but once you get the hang of it:? still goes slow!!

dragonslayer
07-21-2018, 07:22 PM
Yup, YouTube it, shows how to do it from download to program to upload to radio, it's like an excel spread sheet and not many people like excel. A bit time consuming but once you get the hang of it:? still goes slow!!

I understand that been there and have all spread sheets done also added all RR channels but do not hear them working , I hear nothing but a whole lot of SQ as I scan .

jOHN

moosecaller
07-21-2018, 07:46 PM
I understand that been there and have all spread sheets done also added all RR channels but do not hear them working , I hear nothing but a whole lot of SQ as I scan .

jOHN

You need to adjust your squelch and you would not hear anything if no one is transmitting, what do you mean you don't hear them working? What are you expecting from this radio? Go to the LADD channels highway channels, Ladd 1 is usually active, or the local airport tower channel and see if you can hear that. Again you need to be near an active logging road and go to that RR channel for that logging road to hear anything, I was just on a logging road tonight RR35 freq and I would not have heard a thing on the radio tonight as it's Saturday and they are not working, now if I went in there on Monday I would be sure to hear them.

Island Roo
07-21-2018, 08:19 PM
I got 12 km in the Rockies with my baofeng uv82.
That was down a river valley. Once I got around the next mountain I lost contact.
Fleetwod Digital is a B.C. company that I’ve had good dealings with, would buy there again even ebay/Amazon were a couple dollars cheaper.

tipper
07-21-2018, 09:17 PM
That is not how a repeater is used as your example in a pit or on a logging landing, the repeaters are used to transmit literally world wide. A pit operation or a logging landing would not go through a repeater to conduct their business/operation there would be no need to. There is a programming software for these radios and any other uhf/vhf. Also if you go on line you can see all the channels listed as well as the repeaters.

Yes the mines use repeaters and so does the ministry when out of regular service.

westcoaster
07-21-2018, 10:14 PM

Like I said in my post, An unlikely scenario....

Pick something else then, forest service during firefighting efforts, RCMP (how does digital and analog on the same frequency work?) ambulance service, trains, parks....

All I'm saying here is stuffing any old frequency willy nilly into those radios is really not advisable and can possibly be dangerous to others.

If repeaters can transmit world wide, then all the more reason to not hack and guess at the programming of the radios... Do some research and understand what frequencies can be used where, and what ones are available for use where you plan on operating them....

moosecaller
07-21-2018, 10:50 PM
Like I said in my post, An unlikely scenario....

Pick something else then, forest service during firefighting efforts, RCMP (how does digital and analog on the same frequency work?) ambulance service, trains, parks....

All I'm saying here is stuffing any old frequency willy nilly into those radios is really not advisable and can possibly be dangerous to others.

If repeaters can transmit world wide, then all the more reason to not hack and guess at the programming of the radios... Do some research and understand what frequencies can be used where, and what ones are available for use where you plan on operating them....

Frequencies of all these services are available on line check them out before programming, do you own one of these radios? Have you done much research on how they work and no one ever said "hack" and it's not "guess" work the frequencies are there for all to see and avoid this potential "dangerous" situation. Digital does not work on these such as RCMP, firefighters, ambulance and so on. Do some research on this you may be able to understand a bit more than calling foul on those of us that want to use them. Please educate yourself before offering absurd scenarios.

moosecaller
07-21-2018, 10:59 PM
Yes the mines use repeaters and so does the ministry when out of regular service.

Really for backing a pit truck up to the dump? I did not know that I thought it would be direct line of site for that operation! I actually didn't know that the pit trucks used ground controlled guides for dumping? Learn something new every day.
But we do digress from the OP's question about these radios and have gone way off topic and sensible discussion. Reasonable radios for reasonable price for what they do.

westcoaster
07-22-2018, 10:28 AM
Frequencies of all these services are available on line check them out before programming, do you own one of these radios? Have you done much research on how they work and no one ever said "hack" and it's not "guess" work the frequencies are there for all to see and avoid this potential "dangerous" situation. Digital does not work on these such as RCMP, firefighters, ambulance and so on. Do some research on this you may be able to understand a bit more than calling foul on those of us that want to use them. Please educate yourself before offering absurd scenarios.

I don't think you and I are as far apart as you may think on this...

If you are calling for people to do their research, and I am calling for people to do their research before programming a frequency into a radio, then we agree!

It's just as absurd to bury your head in the sand and think there can't be consequences to not performing that research and understanding what frequencies are available and in what areas.

I don't have a problem with people wanting and using the radio's. I don't have a problem with people programming their own junk with the standard frequencies that are available, so long as they don't fall for the temptation to program any old frequency in an attempt to get that "private" channel.

moosecaller
07-22-2018, 12:33 PM
I don't think you and I are as far apart as you may think on this...

If you are calling for people to do their research, and I am calling for people to do their research before programming a frequency into a radio, then we agree!

It's just as absurd to bury your head in the sand and think there can't be consequences to not performing that research and understanding what frequencies are available and in what areas.

I don't have a problem with people wanting and using the radio's. I don't have a problem with people programming their own junk with the standard frequencies that are available, so long as they don't fall for the temptation to program any old frequency in an attempt to get that "private" channel.

You can "google" radio frequency search to see if a channel is being used and where, this will tell you if you would be interfering with transmissions. If the channel for instant is being used by a delivery company in New York state and you live in say Grand Prairie you could not interfere using your 8 watt hand held unit or even a 30 watt mobile one. But if it was a taxi company in Beaver Lodge there may be a slim chance under ideal conditions. Doing the search is what I meant by doing your research, if you want a "private" channel why would you chance programming in a local used one and having whomever is using it interfere with you?

Hunterguy
07-22-2018, 03:44 PM
With the higher end radios I do believe you need a license such as the Ham radio users.

moosecaller
07-22-2018, 04:02 PM
With the higher end radios I do believe you need a license such as the Ham radio users.

nothing to do with higher end or lower end they transmit on uhf/vhf and need a license to be operated legally. The license is good for 10 years.

HappyJack
07-22-2018, 04:14 PM
nothing to do with higher end or lower end they transmit on uhf/vhf and need a license to be operated legally. The license is good for 10 years.

They work just fine without a license too.

westcoaster
07-22-2018, 05:00 PM
The Amateur license is for life upon completion of the test.
A commercial radio license is renewed on an annual basis with the only requirement to throw money at the federal government. Upon first license to provide the radio inspector some evidence that your radio apparatus is compliant with current specifications.
(I just needed to provide the make and model and maybe the serial number)

As mentioned, nothing to do with the quality of the radios but everything to do with what frequency you are transmitting on.

144-148Mhz and 430-450Mhz are amateur radio bands. (plus others) Take the class, get a call sign, be licensed for life, fill your boots legally... Only problem is getting your buddies to get licensed... Oh, wait, one can't transmit on the commercial bands with an amateur license. One is also not permitted to use amateur radio equipment to transmit on commercial frequencies. (edit: err... legally...)

149-174Mhz would be considered the commercial band. The marine radio frequencies are sprinkled in there somewhere as well as some emergency services.
136-144 would traditionally considered public safety (police, fire, ambulance)

edit: (again) Your local radio amateur radio club may put on courses to license new amateurs. I got my license through the Chilliwack Amature radio club. They provided the study material, instructor and the venue to be tested.
They were targeting the local 4x4 boards looking for students. And yes, they did charge to put on the course.

An alternate source for searching for frequencies.
http://tafl.mckie.ca/
(http://tafl.mckie.ca/)