PDA

View Full Version : Tumbler Ridge meat hanging.

Hunterguy
07-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Was wondering if someone has cooler in the area where we could hang meat last week of Sept.

swampthing
07-19-2018, 06:11 PM
Tumbler ridge is still pretty rural. You could just hang it in a tree by the mall!

tigrr
07-19-2018, 07:41 PM
Most butchers want to butcher meat they hang in their coolers. Few if any rent space in coolers.
Depending on time of year it will keep on a hanging pole in a shaded area up out of bear reach. Meaning bring ladder and pulley to hoist it high.

BRvalley
07-20-2018, 09:49 AM
I would expect end of sept temps to be cool enough to hang in the mountains for a few days, but I suppose that depends what elevation you hunt at really...we typically have to burn the woodstove at night time during any bull season in august

I've used Russel meats in chetwynd for august moose before, 25/day and 3 day minimum, I have only used his cooler, never any processing, he usually has lots of rooms based on my visits

Richards butcher in pouce coupe will accept hanging, provided their cooler isn't full with processing orders as mentioned above, 15/day....end of august I've found them to be typically busy, but end of September may be different, they've always been busy in my experiences with them

Hunterguy
07-20-2018, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the info. I have also used Russell’s for just the hanging when we were farther North. Though I would just inquire about the Tumbler area in case one of the members wanted some extra hunting money if they had a cooler available.

Mauser98
07-20-2018, 02:21 PM
Russel Meats is no longer in business in Chetwynd. They moved to the Vanderhoof area in 2017.

RyoTHC
09-03-2021, 09:08 PM
Russel Meats is no longer in business in Chetwynd. They moved to the Vanderhoof area in 2017.

im going to necro this thread,

anyone have any current info about the area ?

Norwestalta
09-03-2021, 09:10 PM
Richards meats in pouce.

RyoTHC
09-04-2021, 09:17 AM
Richards meats in pouce.

They didn’t seem overly thrilled about new customers potentially, but maybe the guy just doesn’t have any enthusiasm in his voice anymore haha

HappyJack
09-04-2021, 02:01 PM

They are still open for early moose and the first part of sept. fyi

Sitkaspruce
09-04-2021, 07:13 PM
They didn’t seem overly thrilled about new customers potentially, but maybe the guy just doesn’t have any enthusiasm in his voice anymore haha

Great meat cutter and supper busy. But Richard is getting on in age and I heard he wants to slowly walk away. When you are one of three or four in the Peace and all the early season moose, plus now the elk, it can get a little stressful. Took a friends elk in there the other day and he was busy.

But one of the best up here. Makes great pepperoni!!

Cheers

SS

RyoTHC
09-04-2021, 08:41 PM
Great meat cutter and supper busy. But Richard is getting on in age and I heard he wants to slowly walk away. When you are one of three or four in the Peace and all the early season moose, plus now the elk, it can get a little stressful. Took a friends elk in there the other day and he was busy.

But one of the best up here. Makes great pepperoni!!

Cheers

SS

oh that’s absolutely understandable! I’m sure he has a list of regulars and locals long enough to fill all his days!
I can respect that, if you have any other suggestions I’m all ears I’d happily drive a couple hours tops, beats the hell out of driving 1200km each way to my butcher.. really cuts up an enjoyable 3-4 week wilderness adventure.

Norwestalta
09-04-2021, 08:56 PM
I think there might be a fella in tomslake that might cut meat. I'll try to find out for you. Most of the time i find that cutting the meat is easier then finding the meat to cut.
I don't know what kind of protocol there is to get your animal to alberta but theres 2 of 3 butchers in the beaverlodge area that I would recommend. Beaverlodge butcher shop and if you call golden guns in beaverlodge they'd steer you to the other outfit. If you do come to albeeria I'd suggest NOT using alberta select meats. Might not hurt to call Corlanes. They should know of someone to.

Mauser98
09-04-2021, 09:49 PM
We used this guy a couple of years ago. He did a decent job of cutting/wrapping/freezing.

Stan’s Custom Meat Cutting
5014 238 Road
Baldonal, BC

https://www.stanscustommeatcutting.com (https://www.stanscustommeatcutting.com/)

eric
09-05-2021, 07:09 AM
You can try B&R Butchers..250-784-4086
Do phone ahead as they are very busy right now

BRvalley
09-05-2021, 03:53 PM
oh that’s absolutely understandable! I’m sure he has a list of regulars and locals long enough to fill all his days!
I can respect that, if you have any other suggestions I’m all ears I’d happily drive a couple hours tops, beats the hell out of driving 1200km each way to my butcher.. really cuts up an enjoyable 3-4 week wilderness adventure.

H&M Meats in GP is well worth the drive, if you are looking for products and not just cooler hanging (don't think they do hanging only)

RyoTHC
09-07-2021, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys ! Considering how busy it will be up north it’s better to have as many options as possible.

greatly appreciated !

Norwestalta
09-07-2021, 01:46 PM
Thanks guys ! Considering how busy it will be up north it’s better to have as many options as possible.

greatly appreciated !

Should go to golden guns anyways if for nothing else but to have a look on the guns on the golden.