PDA

View Full Version : An argument im in

moose hunter
08-31-2007, 06:41 PM
I was talkin to a "hunter" from iowa and he says one of his dads buddies said his son was taking his first deer and he wasnt guna shoot a doe witha fawn and this "hunter" laughed and said why wouldnt you take a doe with a fawn who cares, i told him i think thats dumb and thats not even hunting by taking a doe with a fawn thats just slaughtering as much of the deer population as possible maybe im wrong but i think this guys a twit anyone whos gota take a doe with a fawn should just go down to the supermarket in their sunday dress and buy some steaks.

mapguy
08-31-2007, 07:00 PM
he is an obvious idiot i wouldn't give him the time of day

kennyg826
08-31-2007, 07:03 PM
ethics ethics ethics

K-1
08-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Is that any different then putting in for a LEH for a cow or doe up here. By the time hunting season comes around fawns are not depending on the does for food, they are feeding on their own. Down in some states there is a big problem with deer over running areas. They may see things a little different them we do , but are they wrong.

happygilmore
08-31-2007, 07:40 PM
They may see things a little different them we do , but are they wrong.

Yup. nuf said

Gateholio
08-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Different areas have different practices.

Most people in BC think baiting bear is unethical, but it's common elsewhere. Who is correct?:tongue:

08-31-2007, 08:03 PM
If it legal, then its legal.........the rest is just a judgement call! It's why we have regulations..........can you imagine what hunting would be like if personal opinions were the order of the day:?

hotload
08-31-2007, 08:13 PM
How about getting a cow moose draw, that has twin calves and probably already impregnated. Nail her and you have just possibly killed 5 moose. Never could figure out the sanity in that.

mapguy
08-31-2007, 08:16 PM
i think in their first year they depend on there mothers to survive the winter
they learn by example

Chuck
08-31-2007, 09:24 PM
i think in their first year they depend on there mothers to survive the winter
they learn by example

X2............!

Marc
08-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Fawns will tag along with other does. I've seen 5 blacktail fawns with one doe on the base where I work and I'm positive they're not all hers. If a doe is lost, the fawns will tag along with another doe. Not saying that it's right but I don't believe that a fawn will starve to death or die in every case.

quadrakid
08-31-2007, 09:45 PM
it may not seem like the right thing but we do it in bc, look at the number of doe tags given out up in the cariboo chilcotin,surely you don,t think those are all dry does getting taken.

30-06
08-31-2007, 10:21 PM
i shot a doe last year.the other deer might have been a fawn. it was following there deer i shot around . it was a god sized fawn . if i didn't think it was able to survive on its own i wouldn't have shot the doe . but the fawn wasn't a huge amount smaller than the doe i took.

Brambles
08-31-2007, 10:41 PM
There is no law against it, its up to your individual ethics. You are asked to take the fawn or calf if faced with the choice but thats just a suggestion too.

Only you can answer this question because its a personal choice.

mapguy
09-01-2007, 06:55 AM
if your in an area where there is lots of deer they should find the others
mind you if i was in an area where i saw few deer i wouldn't shoot one
it is just ethics and we all make our own call

Caveman
09-01-2007, 08:32 AM
How about getting a cow moose draw, that has twin calves and probably already impregnated. Nail her and you have just possibly killed 5 moose. Never could figure out the sanity in that.

That's why they ask you to either find a dry cow or take the calf in the cow calf pairing, because tye calf may not survive otherwise.

moose hunter
09-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Ya last year i ran into people who had just dropped a cow and lef thte calf i searcher the area for 2 days and could not find the calf ,found it dead this past wionter due to startvation , i just wanted to freak out cuz i had been walking this area all day and they bin driving around all day and this chick jumps out and shoots the cow.

Marc
09-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Well if the calf survived from the fall to the winter I don't think ti would have mattered if it would have been with the cow or not it still would have starved. The cow isn't going to put food in it's mouth. Animals starve over the winter and how do you know that this is the same exact calf that you saw 3 months or more prior? Prince George has a lot of moose.

Will
09-01-2007, 02:34 PM
i searcher the area for 2 days and could not find the calf ,found it dead this past wionter due to startvation
Yes I remember your thread on that subject.

However I agree that although one may frown on the Practise of taking the "doe" rather then the fawn it's not "Illegal" so.................? :roll:

You'll eat well and so will the Yotes.........circle of life:wink:

lip_ripper00
09-01-2007, 02:52 PM
[quote=moose hunter;180369]dropped a cow and lef thte calf i searcher the area for 2 days and could not find the calf

No need to search for it, I have taken calves in 7A when someone has taken the cow the calf will ALWAYS come back looking for mom. It might take 2,3 days. It's not uncommon to find the previous years calf tagging along, sometimes it,s an immatere bull:wink:

Browningmirage
09-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Well if the calf survived from the fall to the winter I don't think ti would have mattered if it would have been with the cow or not it still would have starved. The cow isn't going to put food in it's mouth. Animals starve over the winter and how do you know that this is the same exact calf that you saw 3 months or more prior? Prince George has a lot of moose.

surely agree

im not for or against it, per se.

If the game populations within any given area are going out of control (as some areas down south are), then it is a management strategy to limit growth, and a fairly effective one at that. If indeed the killing of the mother means the substequent death (and im not sure that it is) of the fawns, then as a management strategy, it is a fairly effective tool.

Im sure there is a correlation between mother death, and fawn survival, but i can guarantee you, it is not 100% likely; i doubt it is half that much. My girlfriend went to work one day, and saw a dead doe on the side of the road, next day she saw fawns with it; making it likely that these were her fawns. At the time of the mothers death, these fawns were far less than 1 month old (with characteristic markings). I saw these guys again in August, and they were some of the healthiest fawns i have ever seen. They had a healthy fear of humans, and there was nothing wrong with them physically. I have no doubt they will make it through the winter, they are healthier than lots of other fawns i have seen, and they had a very short time with their mother.

Try to look a little deeper than human emotions. The seal hunt is a great example, it is harsh, bloody, and controvercial. The only reason it is questioned is because of human emotion. No one looks at the population dynamics; the fact that there are 5,000,000 off the coast of Newfoundland alone is ignored by many people, they just look at the harshness of it. Noone looks at the fact that without the hunt, the population is uncontrollable as we see it.

This all being said, i wouldnt partake in such a hunt, while i agree with it in principle, i would not be able to take part in the hunt. Like the cow and doe cull in 7b last year, i agree, but i wouldnt be able to take part. Feeling responsible for the death of little ones is not one cherished by me.

boonerbuck
09-02-2007, 01:49 PM

If you happen to shoot a pregnant cow then the calves are old enough to survive on their own. The possibility that you killed the twins is a very very long shot.

If you think about it in those terms the cow doesn't even have to be pregnant for it to be considered killing the unborn. There's a good chance she was going to be bred at some point of the season anyways....

Don't kill cows at all would follow that logic....

I still do my best to find a dry doe/cow/nanny of course.