PDA

View Full Version : Crossing border with game meat?

Andrewh
07-16-2018, 05:40 PM
Anyone do it?

Heading down to Stevens Pass for an archery shoot and would love to bring a little sheep for some buddies to try...

Blockcaver
07-16-2018, 06:05 PM
I’d take along your license and cancelled tag. That allows you to possess the meat. Should be OK going into WA with processed game meat in small quantities given that.

Enjoy the shoot. I thought about going but am still busy getting ready for fall.

Rhyno
07-16-2018, 06:42 PM
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/207/kw/hunting/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTMxNzkxNjQ5L3NpZC9fbms5YVNSbg%3D% 3D

Looks like you are good if you have your tag.

boxhitch
07-16-2018, 08:09 PM
Or not so good if you read this one
The importation of fresh, dried or canned meats or meat products is generally not allowed from most foreign countries into the United States. This includes products that have been prepared with meat.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/944/kw/hunting/related/1/session/L2F2LzIvdGltZS8xNTMxNzk2NDY1L3NpZC96VGtac1NSbg%3D% 3D

We had to give up a container of moose stew

albravo2
07-16-2018, 08:13 PM
really depends on the guy at the border. they might require it be in original store packaging so that they know it has been inspected and is safe.

personally, i'd ask for forgiveness, not permission. i'd put it in my cooler and not give it a second thought.

enjoy the shoot! I love cross-border events like that. soon you realize it is really hard to tell an american and canadian apart.

Rhyno
07-16-2018, 08:53 PM
Or not so good if you read this one
The importation of fresh, dried or canned meats or meat products is generally not allowed from most foreign countries into the United States. This includes products that have been prepared with meat.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/944/kw/hunting/related/1/session/L2F2LzIvdGltZS8xNTMxNzk2NDY1L3NpZC96VGtac1NSbg%3D% 3D

We had to give up a container of moose stew

The link I posed is literally the rules for wild game, yours is not.

BigSmoke
07-17-2018, 07:45 AM
Claim it. You'll go to secondary for inspection. They will want to see your cut tag and ask you to fill out a form. Easy day.

heybert
07-17-2018, 05:05 PM
Never had an issue bringing wild meat through the border. My brother lives in Bellevue, Wa and when he visits myself or my dad, we usually send down some meat with him. Declare it.

tomahawk
07-18-2018, 05:13 AM
I bring packaged wild meat across the border every year for the last 7 years with NO ISSUES. Bring your hunting license and cancelled tag, declare it. Only once was I questioned and that was by an officer who asked if the moose I had was farmed? He actually went on the internet when I told him moose are not farmed and confirmed there was none. They are concerned about domestic diseases not wild meat from my experiences. Amount didn't matter to them either.

Piperdown
07-18-2018, 05:49 AM
Take a cooler full of moose, deer and salmon every year to Hawaii, never an issue, just make sure you have your cancelled tags