PDA

View Full Version : Best Boots

mwemmert
07-16-2018, 10:38 AM
Looking for recommendations for good reliable hunting boots for October Elk hunt. I have a pair of Salomon GTX 4D. Will these be okay during last two weeks of October season. Thanks!

BgBlkDg
07-16-2018, 12:35 PM
"Best" boots simply do not exist and FIT is paramount and then the suitability for your specific use(s).

I just pitched two pairs of mountain boots, one from 1976 and my custom Russell Boot Company from 1989. The first were German Meindl Geologist boots, designed here in Vancouver and they were BEAT, 3 sets soles and much repairing. The Russells, very costly and famous, were crap from the get go.....

I now have and wear Scarpa Fuego, Hanwag Yukons, Galibiers, Kastingers from 1982, still sound, Scarpa Concordias, among the best boots of my 57 years wearing highend boots and Schnees Paks. I will say that among the best brands in terms of quality, there is VERY little difference and FIT is the only real determinant for purchase.

Try as many pairs of heavy hikers-backpacking boots on that you can and I avoid GT boots based on experience. Use Obenauf's LP waterproofing wax and avoid the silicon-containing goops such as "Snowseal".

An all leather, medium boot costing about $400.00 plus taxes, fitted correctly, is what you need and these can last many years if properly looked after.

rocksteady
07-16-2018, 12:37 PM
Mendel Canada pro

whitlers
07-16-2018, 06:16 PM
Hanwags here. But I agree above. Spend some good money on a boot and the top companies come down to what fits you best. Scarpa, Hanwag, Meindl and many more.

RackStar
07-16-2018, 06:23 PM
Great advice above. Can’t go wrong with the top brands. I had to go through a couple to find one that didn’t hurt my feet (expensive journey). Scarpa works for my feet. Meindls might work for yours. I really love meindl boots but had to sell mine they caused my feet great pain.

Good of luck on your journey

Rhyno
07-16-2018, 06:28 PM
Meindls didnt last in the mountains for me, Hanwags hurt my feet. Lowa Tibet in wide were the ticket for me. Will be buying another pair in the next few months. In my opinion swapping out the insoles is a must regardless, I like the carbon superfeet.

Ourea
07-16-2018, 07:49 PM
Surprised Crispi didn't come up.

Rackmastr
07-16-2018, 08:33 PM
Lowas for me for the past dozen or more years. Really comes down to a lot of personal preference though!

Biggestfish
07-16-2018, 08:41 PM
Any place in the Lower Mainland carry Lowas?

HarryToolips
07-16-2018, 09:19 PM
Have loved my Zamberlans so far for the 2 months I've had them....

Squamch
07-16-2018, 09:19 PM
I have 2 pairs, depending on what I'm up to. Under armour speed freaks, and Lowa Tibet GTX.

I love how under armour boots fit. I love how waterproof they are. I unfortunately also love their customer service. This is my second pair. I had the first pair come apart in about a year's use. They're like the Chevy of boots, really comfy, but you just can't trust em to always come through for you.
The Lowas are like an old toyota. They work great in really ugly stuff, but when you stop to sit and glass...they're not that comfy. They're a stiff boot, so my feet tend to fall asleep in them. Kinda like spending the day in an old Toyota. Once you get where you're going, you want to get out.

I also tried the Irish setter elk trackers. They were like an old jeep with a soft top, they were heavy, cost too much, and they leaked a lot.

twoSevenO
07-16-2018, 10:01 PM
Best boots I ever owned (and still do) are my Cabelas Meindl Perfekt hunter.

They have been phenomenal as far as comfort goes.

Astepanuk
07-17-2018, 05:30 AM
Hey Guys I have been trying to order a new Pair of Size 14 mountain boots currently own a pair of Hanwag Alaskans but unfortunately got them a little to close to the fire last year and shrunk to the toe. First pick was Lowe GTX but cant find any in Canada in my size and the states wont ship. Have been looking at Meindl but same cannot find. Let me know if you guys know a place that might carry any.

Thanks

bc_buckshot
07-17-2018, 06:45 AM
Surprised Crispi didn't come up.

I second that!!!

JohnS
07-17-2018, 08:21 AM
Irish Setters awesome boots :)

Squamch
07-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Hey Guys I have been trying to order a new Pair of Size 14 mountain boots currently own a pair of Hanwag Alaskans but unfortunately got them a little to close to the fire last year and shrunk to the toe. First pick was Lowe GTX but cant find any in Canada in my size and the states wont ship. Have been looking at Meindl but same cannot find. Let me know if you guys know a place that might carry any.

Thanks

Lowa.ca has them.

wlbc
07-17-2018, 05:07 PM
blackdog makes some good points. IME what matters is the fit of a specific brand to your foot and the quality of the construction. I have not tried the new synthetic boots having opted for good quality leather construction instead.

I am currently wearing out a pair of Danner Fort Lewis, decent quality and great fit for me. I have found a 10" rise with full lacing works well on hills with or without a load on. Given the date it will be critical to buy them and get them broken in regardless of what you get.

Hey dog, do you remember a guy named Sebellini (or something close to that) in New west Minster, had a little shop, made fantastic boots.

rocksteady
07-17-2018, 05:21 PM
Astepanuk....

Size 14???? Holy crap.. you got big flippers

Astepanuk
07-17-2018, 08:06 PM
Astepanuk....

Size 14???? Holy crap.. you got big flippers

I like to call it a good understanding. I have a pair of Lowa Tibet’s on there way.

I found my Hanwag Alaskans didn’t provide much ankle support found I rolled my ankles more then once. I actually stepped out of my buds truck fairly fast after a mule deer back in 2016 and broke my fib/tib when my foot hit the icy road hard to blame the boots but I know the lack of ankle supper didn’t help.

~T-BONE~
07-17-2018, 09:49 PM

Thanks

AJ brooks is where I got my 15’s a few years ago. Not sure if he’s still operating. Good luck

jennylyyy
07-17-2018, 10:28 PM

Thanks

Aj brooks closed down but Poul the owner now consults at Alpine Start Outfitters on Broadway st carries Lowa and Meindl. Across the street you can find Hanwag but ever since that swedish company bought them the quality went down...

If you wet the boots again you can stretch them out, it will take awhile but you can stuff them with several pairs of socks. Or take them to a professional to get them fixed. Alpine can also make those recommendations on who to go to. They might even do it for you in store if you're buying a new pair of boots.

jennylyyy
07-17-2018, 11:00 PM
I'm about to put on waders on go knees deep on this topic because it was something I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to understand. Including many backpacking trips suffering. I want to encourage others to keep on trying to find the right boot because they exist. If you have the correct boot, there shouldn't have a break in period!

A basic guide for a 3 season boot:
- A leather boot, one complete (seamless) piece if possible, even the tongue (no fabric or mesh pieces)

- A rubber bumper all around the shoe, not just the toe cap area.

- Even support sole (the heel isn't elevated), to prevent heel striking.Important if you plan on packing out heavy loads. Heel striking will cause pain in your ankles, knees, and hips.

- Locking laces, so you can tighten certain areas tighter and wider areas of your foot looser

- higher than ankle (not for ankle support but more so for crossing puddles and mud). Ankle support isn't actually from the height of the boot but the base where your heel is. Good quality boots should have a solid heel cup supporting your foot, that shouldn't soften over time.

- Gortex liner, this is debatable, many will say you overheat and it will leak anyways. This is true but it's because you're not treating your boot properly before, during and after the field with beeswax. Or sleeping with the insoles out for the GT to properly dry out. Also, GT needs to be cleaned for it to work properly (just like a GT jacket). After a dirty hunt, you need to rise the inside of your boot out with soapy water and let it dry out completely before waxing them again. Also, wear a good pair of socks to keep things well ventilated.

- Lastly, try to get something that can be resoled. Western hunting beats the crap out of your shoes but the leather will stay good if you're cleaning and waxing them regularly. You should be waxing when you see the water not beading off your shoe (easier said than done)

Avoid
- leather lined boots - this makes it heavier, eventually leather clogs up from salt from your sweat, and lastly the break-in period is insanely painful and blisters filled.

That being said at the end of the day if the boot fits and you're comfortable and it hits none of this guidelness, that's totally ok - comfort first! There are always acceptions.

If anyone has specific questions on how to buy boots online or can't decide between a boot let me know! I'll see if I tried them on before or studied them.

BgBlkDg
07-18-2018, 05:06 AM
I won't buy serious boots unless they are leather lined and I wear hiking boots every day as I have for years due to orthopaedic issues.

I have posted on correct boot care here before and a search may turn up that information.

Uzi
07-18-2018, 07:02 AM
Irish Setter Elk trackers 1000gram, Best boots i have ever owned, very comfortable can hike all day in them, warm in any cold weather feet havnt gotten cold yet, oil up the leather every year and they are water tight had the same pair for 8 years hunted hard with these boots and they never let me down

Andrewh
07-18-2018, 07:19 AM
Meindls didnt last in the mountains for me, Hanwags hurt my feet. Lowa Tibet in wide were the ticket for me. Will be buying another pair in the next few months. In my opinion swapping out the insoles is a must regardless, I like the carbon superfeet.

Meindls from Cabelas are not the real deal for Meindls. They were designed and built to fit into a cheaper boot market and thus they are not as tough as the actual Meindls.

I have 3 full seasons of sheep hunting, goat hunting and many many miles of other mountain hunts on mine and they are still rock solid. They are the Makalu Pro 3000.

lwing
07-18-2018, 07:25 PM
Meindls from Cabelas are not the real deal for Meindls. They were designed and built to fit into a cheaper boot market and thus they are not as tough as the actual Meindls.

I have 3 full seasons of sheep hunting, goat hunting and many many miles of other mountain hunts on mine and they are still rock solid. They are the Makalu Pro 3000.

Agree, cabellas lasted about 40 days , compared to over 200 on the good ones

twoSevenO
07-18-2018, 11:47 PM

This is correct .... but it's also why they worked so well for me. I tried the "real" meindl boots from AJs once and honestly ... f**k that!

Those things were were like concrete. Honestly felt like a ski boot with the liner removed. There is no way in hell I could walk in a boot that you cant even bend.

The cabelas ones are definitely cheaper construction and cheaper materials and the soles aren't Vibram and they cant be replaced ..... but the boot requires zero break in and is extremely comfortable. It's a fine choice for most of the hunting terrain you are likely to encounter except for the rocks above the tree line.

twoSevenO
07-18-2018, 11:50 PM
Agree, cabellas lasted about 40 days , compared to over 200 on the good ones

I have a pair that has well over 200 days on them and they're still fine. They're retired, though.

40 days? That's BS. Unless you're a professional tree planter or logger or something?

I dont see only 40 days out of them from hunting

358mag
07-19-2018, 09:52 AM
I have a pair that has well over 200 days on them and they're still fine. They're retired, though.

40 days? That's BS. Unless you're a professional tree planter or logger or something?

I dont see only 40 days out of them from hunting
My last pair of Cabella's Meindels lasted about the same 30-40 days then fell apart had to walk out with no sole one the one boot .
M

jennylyyy
07-19-2018, 06:29 PM
I wear Meindl Island's, they're about $600 CAD but worth every penny. No break-in period. I've tried on other Meindls and they felt horrible on my foot. It's all about finding the right fit.

SR80
07-20-2018, 06:35 AM
Which ever ones fit you

Hank
07-21-2018, 07:36 AM
For somebody on a budget about $400 what would you guys recommend. For early to mid season. I have a pair of Irish setters elk trackers 1000 gram that's great for late season. But when I use them in early season my feet cook. im looking for a all leather boot, that can accommodate wide feet. I'm in langley so going to Vancouver isn't a problem.

358mag
07-21-2018, 02:31 PM
Which ever ones fit you

Bingo SR80 finally someone has it figured out !

Alpine85
07-21-2018, 07:22 PM
For somebody on a budget about $400 what would you guys recommend. For early to mid season. I have a pair of Irish setters elk trackers 1000 gram that's great for late season. But when I use them in early season my feet cook. im looking for a all leather boot, that can accommodate wide feet. I'm in langley so going to Vancouver isn't a problem.

My recent boots are a Hanwag model, bought out of Fishers Hardware in Vernon. Out the door cost me less than $400. They work for “me”, as do Lowa boots.

One thing I learned awhile ago, you can get way better quality gear if you avoid “hunting gear”. Most my best hunting gear is earth tone clothing from company’s who make high quality backpacking/mountaineer gear.

browningboy
07-21-2018, 09:02 PM
Wear the real tree ones from crappy tire and do a lot of hiking and exploring on foot, never had a problem and buy a new set each year! Don’t need the 1000.00 ones

Alpine85
07-21-2018, 09:42 PM
Wear the real tree ones from crappy tire and do a lot of hiking and exploring on foot, never had a problem and buy a new set each year! Don’t need the 1000.00 ones

I hope your joking

decker9
07-22-2018, 06:21 AM
Which ever ones fit you

^^^ this ^^^. Like packs, everyone is different. Quality wise, the top brands have top quality, how they feel on your foot, depends on your foot. It’s worth making a day (or more) out of boot shopping, spend some time in them before you make a decision.

browningboy
07-22-2018, 07:22 AM
I hope your joking

Yes.. but the sad truth my buddy does that but he doesn’t walk a whole lot, I have the Cabelas mendiels and they are comfy, my only beef with them are the soles, could be more agressive

Outbound
07-22-2018, 07:29 AM
I use Salomon 4D GTX boots. I also like the Lowa Renegades but they're pricy

SR80
07-22-2018, 08:58 AM
Best thing to do, is not pick a boot online that you want and then try to convince yourself its the right boot for your foot. Try on as many as you can, and then make a decision. I heard of a guy that ordered $3000 worth of boots on amazon, tried them all out and returned the ones that didnt fit and kept one of two pairs.

604ksmith
07-22-2018, 09:33 AM
Best thing to do, is not pick a boot online that you want and then try to convince yourself its the right boot for your foot. Try on as many as you can, and then make a decision. I heard of a guy that ordered $3000 worth of boots on amazon, tried them all out and returned the ones that didnt fit and kept one of two pairs.

Have you started to refer to yourself in the 3rd person to hide the fact you're a gear junkie?

Hank
07-22-2018, 01:30 PM
So where's the best place to hit in the lower main land to buy boots for under $400.00. Ive heard that if you buy the Mendel boots from cabelas there not as good as buying them from a boot store. And the Irish setters elk trackers the ones that are sold now a days are junk compared to the ones that where sold 5 or more years ago. I can't afford to buy boots every year, and don't want to make a wrong decision on a pair of boots, I just want something waterproof comfortable that will last. Thanks.

jac
07-25-2018, 12:37 PM
I just bought some hanwag Yukon’s boots. For anyone that uses hanwags holing did it take you to break them in? Any tips or tricks?

Merch
07-25-2018, 12:49 PM
Try Valhalla Pure

https://vpo.ca/category/88/boots?sortField=Highest%20Price&pagenumber=1&sku=LAS0011D

So where's the best place to hit in the lower main land to buy boots for under $400.00. Ive heard that if you buy the Mendel boots from cabelas there not as good as buying them from a boot store. And the Irish setters elk trackers the ones that are sold now a days are junk compared to the ones that where sold 5 or more years ago. I can't afford to buy boots every year, and don't want to make a wrong decision on a pair of boots, I just want something waterproof comfortable that will last. Thanks.

Merch
07-25-2018, 12:53 PM
I have the Trapper tops. They felt great from the start but better after 3 or 4 days of heavy use. I use the Obenauf's leather protector from Cabelas.

I just bought some hanwag Yukon’s boots. For anyone that uses hanwags holing did it take you to break them in? Any tips or tricks?

SR80
07-26-2018, 06:36 AM
Have you started to refer to yourself in the 3rd person to hide the fact you're a gear junkie?

hahah NO! that wasn't me!

Wentrot
07-26-2018, 07:38 AM
I have the Trapper tops. They felt great from the start but better after 3 or 4 days of heavy use. I use the Obenauf's leather protector from Cabelas.

Same experience with my trapper tops. Great out of the box.

David
07-26-2018, 11:24 AM

Still Broadway between Main and Cambie (even though Meindl is no longer there as far as I know)... the Fjallraven store sells Hanwags, MEC is now carrying some Lowas (I think), plus Vallhalla pure is on that block...

Actually, this is more for hiking boots - if by hunting boots you want something insulated and high up the ankle, then you probably have to run all over hell's half acre to try on different brands. If it were me I'd be tempted to drive to the USA Cabelas and try on everything they have in the store for fit.