PDA

View Full Version : Any pack horse hunter here

13thplumber
07-16-2018, 09:39 AM
Hey guys. I'm slowly transitioning to pack horse hunting. Having a huge passion for hunting and horses it makes sense to combine the two.
Question is is there any pack horse guys here who would be interested in a hunt in the future.
Everybody I hunt with have no interest in horses.
Thanks

dakoda62
07-16-2018, 09:49 AM
Where are you located? and what do you have for horses and gear?

13thplumber
07-16-2018, 05:15 PM
I'm in Squamish for now but moving to the cariboo in spring.
No horse at the moment to expensive to keep them here so waiting until we move.
Got a pack saddle and panniers and just bought a horse trailer.

dakoda62
07-17-2018, 12:21 PM
You will need at least 3 horse minimum to make it worthwhile.

Rob Chipman
07-17-2018, 12:45 PM
Just bought my first horse on my way to more. I have done a couple trips. Lots of fun, but lots of work and not just as simple as walking in and being sneaky.

You're doing it in the reverse order that I am. I got the horse, now need #2, then the rest of the gear, then the trailer.

dakoda62
07-17-2018, 02:21 PM
If cost isn't a factor go for it. however the additional costs of Vets, equipment upkeep, Hay and feed, a quad or a new pair of boots every year is a lot cheaper, i have done 2 trips with horses and worked for an outfitter last year. Lot of work especially in camp.

Hunterguy
07-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Hardest part is finding the right horses. Horses that are used to all that you will encounter on your hunt. I would recommend a packhorse clinic before you attempt to go on what could be your own worst nightmare.

walks with deer
07-17-2018, 03:28 PM
i have a donkey thats mean two lamas and 3 goats...the lamas bite and spit but thats okay...

just carry a bucket of grain and they follow me anywhere...

cant wait for a good sheep hunt with my motley crew..

Clint_S
07-17-2018, 04:13 PM
i have a donkey thats mean two lamas and 3 goats...the lamas bite and spit but thats okay...

just carry a bucket of grain and they follow me anywhere...

cant wait for a good sheep hunt with my motley crew..

Just not with the goats right? Cuz that's illegal.

.308SLAYER
07-17-2018, 04:20 PM
Watch the show on Netflix called "un branded" guys break wild mustang ride them across the usa very good watch let's you know what your getting into abit

KodiakHntr
07-17-2018, 05:15 PM
Just not with the goats right? Cuz that's illegal.

Or the lamas.......

13thplumber
07-17-2018, 06:48 PM
I grew up with horses and my grandfather who raised me rode a horse with pack horses across Canada. I know exactly what I'm in for. A hell of an adventure that my atv or jet boat can't match haha. In my opinion anyways.

13thplumber
07-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys.
I am definitely getting three. One Canadian for my main mount and two mules. A Canadian because they are true footed horse and there's family history/story there. The work I'm not worried about I know with horses nothing usually goes as planned. The cost. Well I'll get just as much pleasure from them in the off-season as I will during hunting season. For me it's more about the adventure then it is about having an upper hand with hunting
And there's something to say about riding a good horse into unfamiliar country with a rifle and a pocket full of tags.
If you fill a tag well that's great if not will the memories are just as good in my eyes to.

dakoda62
07-17-2018, 08:30 PM
You will not go wrong with a Canadian, Had a mare that could outwork and pull any horse her own weight. Little horse of iron.

dbergen69
07-17-2018, 09:16 PM
I am in Prince George and my Dad is in Quesnel. We hunt with pack horses every year. PM me if you want to get together and discuss.

375shooter
07-17-2018, 09:24 PM
Hey guys. I'm slowly transitioning to pack horse hunting. Having a huge passion for hunting and horses it makes sense to combine the two.
Question is is there any pack horse guys here who would be interested in a hunt in the future.
Everybody I hunt with have no interest in horses.
Thanks

Hunting and horses are two of my greatest passions as well. I have had horses for over 4 years now, with the intention of using them for hunting. I currently have 3. They're going to start paying for themselves soon. I'll be getting a trailer in the spring, then will be actively getting them ready for fall. When do you expect to be set up?

walks with deer
07-18-2018, 08:00 AM
i was just joking i wouldnt use any of the bunch of missfits...
i too plan on getting some pack horses but i have a large learning curve before i would be ready to leave my valley with them...
that said i can hunt alpine from my door on foot so i could get some nice practice in before i headed into the deep... muskwa keichika region on horses would highlight how great are province is...you could spend a lifetime exploring....that said it would be a lot cheaper to just hire a packer...

dakoda62
07-18-2018, 08:46 AM
It is definitely worthwhile the effort of horse hunting. but maybe spend the cash if have it and take a trip with a packer, it is pricey but the info learned is invaluable.

walks with deer
07-18-2018, 09:29 AM
my wife used to raise and breed packhorses with her grandpa who owned the territory out of atlin..so she will be incharge...but owning any animal is a big commitment.

stoneramhunter
07-22-2018, 12:43 PM
I’m in north van. Hunted with packhorses for over 35 years. Familiar with a lot of the backcountry. Gone on plenty of sheep hunts with just my riding horse and a packhorse and other times up to 6 horses. Sold most of my gear last year but still have a Erickson mountain saddle. Having horses opens up so many more areas to hunt

Chrisgrohms
07-22-2018, 07:42 PM
Im looking at taking our horses out this year as well. More to pack the kids around with me than anything. If you haven't looked at the haflinger horses then I recommend that you do. Very hardy horses, good temperament and easy keepers. Used by the Swiss army in the mountains. Surefooted and can survive on whatever they forage. I half rationed our little haffy last winter and he put on weight eating down shrubs and small trees along the creek. Easy to break as well if you buy unbroke.
We will see how our trip goes this fall with the kids (6 and 3). Im hoping they just enjoy riding around "looking"for animals.