PDA

View Full Version : elk in the east kootenay's

mainland hunter
08-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Anyone got some insider info they wouldnt mind sharing. I've only hunted elk up in the peace area and have been wanting to try the kootenay's out for some time. We're planning on hunting in region 4-24 from sept. 19-27.
any info would be appreciated

Buckman
08-31-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm from Cranbrook and have never hunted there, but one of the guys in our office has bagged a 6+ point there 2 years in a row sme cutblock. Go in through the White Swan is the heart of it, old fire in 2003 up the middle fork may hold some promise just a guess. Lots of roads to try though, good luck.

chevy
08-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Keep going past white swan into the steeples area of the bull river lots of elk upthere andsome big boys too plus you can always stop by the bull river inn thats in the middle of nowhere really andhave a nice meal and a coldone but thats where i would go in fact thats where i hunt andi got a 321 bull out of there last year

mark4
02-16-2008, 11:35 AM
The entire stretch of highway from wasa to radium is full of elk, get away from the roads and hike for a while- it's easy walking and the elk are thick in there.

Tikka7mm
02-16-2008, 12:22 PM
I hunted Bull river the last few days of my hunting trip last season. The group I was with hunted up there on a tip from one of the locals down at the Jaffray gas station after having no luck where we were previously hunting. We went from the 5th of Sept to the 16th. We weren't fortunate enough to bag one (an Elk) but we saw a number of cows and a couple 6 pointers across the valley but again we didn't know the area and had only hunted it for a day and a half. It is definitley Elk country. We talked to a the local taxidermist at the Bull River Inn one night while we were having dinner and he informed us that quite a few big bulls get pulled out of that area every year. If we had known of this area prior we would have hunted it harder for sure. It's rough, steep, thick terrain but we saw a couple nice big Elk racks coming out in the backs of some trucks. Not to mention a couple really nice white tails.

Farmer
02-16-2008, 12:33 PM
The Bull River is in region 4-22. We used to hunt 4-24 by Whiteswan Lake back in the 80s when there were loads of calf tags and hunters. We managed to take a few bulls once we learned the areas. It now being 2008, and not having been there for 18 years, any thing I can recall is probably overgrown or clearcut to be much help. Make sure you check for road closures as there were areas where motor vehicle use for hunting purposes was not allowed.